[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /g/, Can you tell me where to learn c++, cause I want to learn it.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 1

File: download.png (4KB, 212x238px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
4KB, 212x238px
Hey /g/, Can you tell me where to learn c++, cause I want to learn it.
>>
>>60731628
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list
Start with Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++
>>
>>60731628
C++ was actually a mistake. It's supposed to be a better C, had 45 years to prove and yet it could never surpass C.

It has 3 standard libraries, and 0 practical use cases over C. Now that Rust is out, even the 2 (TWO) years old infant language is faster and safer than C++.

My two cents: don't bother with C++: stick to C since C++ is going to die in the next couple of decades
>>
>>60731628
Why? what's your end game?
>>
>>60732004
This
>>
>>60731628
No you don't. Well, it's pretty fun to learn, but you won't ever use it.
>>
>>60732153
>it's pretty fun to learn
No it isn't

IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE MODULES FOR FUCK'S SAKE
>>
https://isocpp.github.io/CppCoreGuidelines/CppCoreGuidelines
>>
C++ is a gayme development language. Do you want to make video gaymes? I am sure you do :)

C++ is literally THE gayme development language of choice.
>>
>>60732004
is this a subtle Rust poster or a moron? in any case, he has no idea what he is talking about.
>>
>>60731628
Disregard the memelords around and do what >>60731664 said. Anyways it takes a lot of experience to get something out of C++ due to the language's large complexity. It's very rewarding once you have a really advanced level, before that you're going to feel like shit.
>>
>>60732612
>language's large complexity
this, and it's only getting more complex (or at least more tools) with each update. keep at it!
>>
>>60732584
Top quality deflection
>>
>>60732612
Most of /g/ are brainlets who could only handle C or Python. Higher level abstractions would pop their puny brains like pimples.
>>
Hey /g/, sorry i went out and thanks for all the replies, I it is true that i wish to develop a game.
>>
>>60733179
No problem my man. C++ is well suited for these projects. If you want to learn game programming the book game development with sfml explains how to write a 2D engine. You won't get the most performance out of it but it's rather easy to follow.
>>
>>60733195
Thanks guy, I appreciate it.
>>
>>60731628
>C++
Jesus H Christ, stop falling for this terrible shitlang

Read http://www.zator.com/Downloads/Why%20C++%20Sucks.htm

Learn C or even Rust but C++ is an example when you keep adding "features" without careful planning. Result is a monumental fuck up. C++ is a sinking ship.
>>
>>60734304
t. mad brainlet
>>
>>60734309
I like your argument, junior
>>
>>60734304
please stop spreading bullshit.
anyone who can understand that link knows it is full of crap, please don't share it with people who aren't educated enough to understand and can't recognize it for the trash it is.
>>
>>60735276
>shut it down goyim
no
>>
>>60735276
Ah that damage control
>>
> learn c++
> end up with shit unmaintainable code
> learn work arounds (design patterns) to get around the obvious flaws in the language
> realise that c was all you needed
>>
if you're at all interested in embedded work then C++ is a great tool

it's also pretty good for learning CS fundamentals are it's close to the metal

however that's really all it has going for it, programming jobs nowadays are not actually looking for people with solid skills anymore

the field has become politicized and now most large scale programming projects are literally just purple haired feminists drag-and-dropping into an android emulator and calling it computer science
>>
>>60735835
>if you're at all interested in embedded work then C++ is a great tool
*C
>>
>>60735835
what the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>60731628
you must have a very good reason to learn that crap

and its so huge you'll never get to the end of it
>>
I work on industrial robotics and C++ is largely the choice for that. Don't listen to the undergrads here who probably just learned Python and can't understand C++.
>>
>>60735808
you learn design patterns because creating the design is more important than the syntax.
You do know a lot of people use programming as a profession right?
You need to know these design structures regardless of what language you write in, it is not related to the language.
Writing reusable, maintainable code is very easy with C++.
>>
>>60735931
Oh, and as for how to learn it: same as any other language, pick a project and do it in C++. Read about STL and start using it from the beginning; don't write C++ like C.

It is an incredibly powerful language, that yes, is quite complicated. But you don't need to be familiar with it at a deep level to do useful things with it.
>>
>>60735730
>>60735733
it's literally all shit
>The biggest flaw with the argument is that it forces compiler writers to implement a larger language; correctness will be harder to get right, and optimization will suffer.
not an actual issue, just something he thinks is an issue
>Finally, learning a subset doesn't guarantee that you won't avoid being bit by something that's not in the subset you've chosen. For example, you might choose (wisely, IMHO) to avoid using function overloading. You can't tell the compiler this, however, and thus you might unintentionally name two functions the same thing, and cause unimaginable problems thereby. Sure, you'll eventually figure it out, it'll just be another dumb bug, but why use a language that has any number of such gotchas lurking around every corner?
another non-issue, has this person actually written any c++? between namespaces and the compiler telling you if there are two identical function names with the same arguments, there are no problems

i can't even go on, it's clear that this person just wrote "hello world" and read a bare minimum of some c++ textbook and then came up with some things that sound like issues but really aren't. some of his crap boils down to "you can do stupid things so the language sucks" ffs
>>
>>60735954
>STL
i think you mean "standard library"
>>
>>60735945

please tell me why you need the factory pattern and how you would apply the factory pattern in a language that does not have the new keyword.
>>
>>60736005
I don't think the distinction matters to a noob, but thanks for the correction.
>>
>>60735808
How is that even possible? C++ is not really much more different or "harder" than Java or C# if you stay away from manual memory management, raw pointers and making your own templates. If you suggest C then chances are you actually suck at programming and software architecture. No language in the world is going to prevent your code base from sucking.
>>
>>60736019
One does not "need" any kind of pattern or structure in their code. The end user will probably not notice any difference until it's time to pay up for maintaining the code, fixing bugs and add features. I'd rather take Ramesh's super abstract factory factory code over spaghetti code. At least one is maintainable without rewriting large parts of the code and having to write tests for it.
>>
>>60736051

the point is abstractions that are integral to static oo languages (inheritance, the new keyword) like C++, C# and Java are not needed and just get in your way. You end up needed to learn complex design patterns to make your code flexible whereas in C it is easy.

C++ totally missed the point of OO IMO
>>
>>60732004
C++ can be used as C with namespaces.
Why do people advocate to stick to C is beyond me, do you suddenly feel the urge to use all the new crappy features ?
How about no ? Why don't you just fucking use what you actually need ?
>>
OP, let me put things into perspective for you.
Literally every important piece of software in our society, from OSs to jetplanes, factories, elevators, space ships etc. uses c/c++.
Every trivial/nonessential program, like mind mappers, is generally written in Java.
You also have scripting languages, like Python, that are meant to be very easy to pick up since they're aimed mostly towards regular program users, not actual programmers.
Then you have languages like Rust and Go that are completely fucking irrelevant, nobody cares about them and are a meme all around. They are so dead, their developers should publicly thank me for even mentioning them.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.