[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there downsides to dual-booting Windows and Linux?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: linux-mac-windows.png (61KB, 249x300px) Image search: [Google]
linux-mac-windows.png
61KB, 249x300px
Windows has shit I need and Linux has shit I need. Would dual-booting both of them on my computer fuck anything up? Memory is not an issue.
>>
works fine for me
>>
Just install Ubuntu for Windows 10
>>
your memory is totally irrelevant. The only drawback is the lost diskspace and the fact that you cant really access your linux partition from windows
>>
No.

Well, the downside is that you'll find yourself using one less than another, but that's about it.

I dualboot macOS and Windows and there's always something that needs Windows, even though I use macOS most of the time.
>>
Run Linux in a virtual machine and be done with it.
>>
Windows 10 fucks up GRUB every other update since Ubuntu for Windows 10 came out. Purely coincidental of course.
>>
>>60725825
>Are there downsides to dual-booting
yeah, rebooting.
get something like a gt740 for 30 bucks, run linux as host system with the gt740, a windows VM and pass through your gaymen card
>>
It wouldn't fuck anything up; but it's super annoying turning off your computer, doing whatever, and then rebooting your computer again. It's easier to just use a VM.
>>
File: my shit.png (19KB, 1153x681px) Image search: [Google]
my shit.png
19KB, 1153x681px
>>60725863
I think the fact that winders can't access my Linux partitions is mostly a positive.
Here's how my partitions are configured.
It works pretty well, but I'm open to suggestions
>>
>>60725863
you can the program is called
ext2explore but you know you have to have an ext2 or ext4 partition
>>
>>60725825
Dual botting with user abusing and non-free software operating systems is bad for your freedom.
>>
>>60725825
Make sure that your Windows install is on first partion on disk connected to first port on your motherboard.

One of the service packs for Win7 fucked up my Linux partion a few years ago, even though it was installed on completely different physical drive...
>>
>Are there downsides to dual-booting Windows and Linux?

Yes, there is: it's called Linux.
>>
>>60725950
That seems like too many partitions to me. I just share the secondary drive as a storage drive on NTFS.
>>
>>60726127
Upvoted xd
>>
>>60726193
the windows home isn't actually a partition, my mistake.

Basically my HDD looks like this
/HomeDir (Windows)
/SharedSpace
Those are in the same partition
>>
>>60725825
The downside is you use a lot of storage space on operating systems.
Ideally the OS should not use any resources.
Switching between them requires you to reboot which is a slight annoyance as well.

As for "fuck anything up", the only thing that could fuck up is shared files.
What you should do is create at least three partitions, one ntfs for windows, one ext4 for linux and one ntfs for shared data.
The shared ntfs is not ideal by any standard though, but it can be neccessary
>>
>>60725825
Rebooting is unbelievably annoying and Windows occasionally likes to fuck up other systems.

If you can, better solution is to use WINE and VirtualBox for anything that does not work in WINE. Unless you need some GPU intensive application, that does not work in WINE, it should work pretty well.
>>
>>60726241
>>>60726193
>the windows home isn't actually a partition, my mistake.
>Basically my HDD looks like this
>/HomeDir (Windows)
>/SharedSpace
>Those are in the same partition

^ , fual booting now with this setup and no draw backs
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.