[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>computer science isn't a me-

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 229
Thread images: 30

File: Capture.png (682KB, 827x762px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
682KB, 827x762px
>computer science isn't a me-
>>
File: SZPjHwz.jpg (302KB, 1560x2048px) Image search: [Google]
SZPjHwz.jpg
302KB, 1560x2048px
To be fair that's what most of these losers will be doing in the field assuming they don't end up asking if you want fries with that. A computer science major is the wrong choice if you don't want to do actual science and are just trying to be a code monkey, but people who don't know shit keep pretending it is a "coding degree" without realizing how stupid a concept that is.
>>
File: 1422845562338.webm (376KB, 390x293px) Image search: [Google]
1422845562338.webm
376KB, 390x293px
>>60725373
>computer science
>actual science
>>
No, the purpose of their education is to learn it from scratch so that they will be able to solve something when a ready made solution is none existent.
>>
I mean, I get that the point is to learn how to do stuff yourself, but in the real world if you need to do something and someone else has a solution that you can freely use in whatever way you want that works perfectly, why wouldn't you take the path of least resistance?

I dont think lifting parts of code to use in a project is really that bad desu
>>
>>60725373
Don't blame them, blame the universities and employers. Plenty of employers will list "A B.Sc. in Computer Science or equivalent" and universities have been twisting them more and more into coding degrees for years because that's what the market wants and they've really taken to the "university is job training" idea. I agree that's not university's place or what computer science really means, but it's what it's become and it isn't the fault of the people just doing what employers and universities demand of them.
>>
>>60725310
> computer science
> HTML onscreen
> "I can't be bothered to remember all this crap"
I blame big corps trying to bring wages down by flooding the market
>>
>>60725373

I don't get why in my uni there's people in Comp Sci but they really don't have a passion for it.

What are they in for? The coder meme?
>>
>>60725669
They have no idea what they want to do with their lives, but they need to eat, so they go where the plentiful jobs are, reasoning "Sitting down at a computer and typing some shit can't be too bad".
>>
>>60725669

First, not all CS is muh coding. Second, maybe to understand different concepts that can benefit them in another capacity Third, having a "passion" for something, != excelling at it or the ability to apply it in the real world.
>>
>>60725669
Oops, I missed that you asked what they're in for. In my experience most of them wash out. Programming isn't like working in retail where you just have to do stuff somewhat mindlessly and new tasks are thrown at you constantly, you're left to your own devices to actually *think* about a problem and come back with a solution. Some of them struggle through that but most of them just can't handle it and bail.
>>
>>60725310
wew
now i get why indians and chinese are all over it
>>
>>60725865
>First, not all CS is muh coding
If they aren't there for the coding, they sure as shit aren't there for the first order logic module.

>Second, maybe to understand different concepts that can benefit them in another capacity
I think I know one person who does this kind of education and they're A: 50 and B: rich. This might explain a solitary example in that guy's whole university, assuming it's a regular university, the rest of them are not doing this. Young people almost invariably have neither the resources nor the interest to do something like this, and they are the vast majority of university students.

>Third, having a "passion" for something, != excelling at it or the ability to apply it in the real world.
True.
>>
>Taking class in microsoft bullshit
>teacher is a pajeet who cant speak English
>lecture notes are verbose and unimgormative
>assignments assume you not only read the lecture notes but also know the corperate technology inside out
>get database error
>cant fix it
>fix it by compiling my code on school computers who have the latest visual studio™ installed.
> meanwhile pajeet is acing the class by copying everyone from github and changing variable names.

That class was a redpill, cheating is just another skill you need to aquire a job in tech. Moral fags gtfo
>>
>>60726280
It's not a required skill if you go to a half decent university and not some community college designed to keep kids from being unemployed for a few more years.
>>
>>60725310
All online colleges require you to cheat or "Google"
>>
File: 1452683668144.jpg (35KB, 322x345px) Image search: [Google]
1452683668144.jpg
35KB, 322x345px
>>60725310
Harvard allows cheating in their CS class iirc, "if you get caught don't do it again!"

That's why degrees from Harvard aren't as impressive as people think. Rapid grade inflation "EVERYONE GETS AN A!!!!! B IF YOU ALMOST FAIL!!!!!!!!!"

People see "Harvard" and think WOW that guy is WICKED SHMART!

Also, I'd say most people doing CS are dumb - average.

They want to be code monkeys. Use the latest stacks and program web sites.

I think CS should be in the math department and require everyone majoring in it take all required pure math classes along with specialized CS courses.

I think the field is full of retards. I almost have no respect for CS majors.
>>
>>60725310
I find it doubtful that you'd ever finish your degree if you only lifted stuff from the net. For one you'd need to understand where that codeblock would fit into your task or the rest of your codebase and secondly you'd need to fix variable names and resolve dependencies etc. At that point you should be able to write the program anyways. Also anything more specific than bubblesort should be hard to find in the first place if it refers to tasks assigned by a university.
>>
>>60725940
>they sure as shit aren't there for the first order logic module
Made me snort
>>
All you faggots do is sit on this website and complain. You all are the real retards lmao.
>>
>>60726522
t. Person who completed nothing
>>
>>60727110
Jokes on you, currently working on my PhD in Applied Technology Evangelism
>>
>>60725669
For a decent job maybe?

Can't expect everyone to be passionate about their career.

Chinks are almost always like this, they just go after the most lucrative profession they can.
>>
>>60725373
The most important part of being an effective developer is knowing what you need to do yourself and knowing what someone else has done before you.
>>
>>60727110
>sitting on the website and complains about people sitting on the website complaining
I am aware that I am sitting on /g/ complaining about people who sit on this website and complain about people sitting on this website complaining.
>>
>>60728173
My point exactly, found another retard. I stated a fact, didn't complain.
>>
File: 1487693659286.jpg (46KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1487693659286.jpg
46KB, 480x480px
>>60728204
>>
Computer Science education aims to create well-rounded programmers. Some assignments do indeed allow students to use third party libraries to focus on other important factors. Other assignments don't allow any, so as to force the student to learn how the technology is implemented. As much as people like to complain about re-inventing the wheel, it is a useful exercise to prepare the student for when they have to create something that does not yet exist.

4 years of copy pasting code does not prepare one to push boundaries in technological advancement. It prepares you to profoundly declare that this is someone else's problem. The purpose of higher education is to make it so that you can be that someone else. To paraphrase one of the professors at my university, "we don't care what kind of job our students are doing immediately after they graduate, we care what they're doing 20 years after they graduate." That is to say, while it is likely that you will end up writing CRUD web apps once you have your bachelor's, you aren't likely to be still copy pasting code a few decades down the line, and you should be prepared to solve whatever new challenges your company throws at you.
>>
>>60725669
>The coder meme?
That's what 90%+ of CS graduates will end up doing notwithstanding memes like sysadmins or "network engineers".

Expecting all of them to become the next dijkstra and pumping out papers all day is pretty far from reality
>>
I just got my BS in CS almost exactly 1 month ago. I start work next month making 60k in south florida. Just got my car and now im looking for an apartment close to downtown. CS is a meme only if you have crippling autism or are just a lazy fuck with no passion or curiosity in computers.
>>
>>60725373
desu my school actually lower length of programming classes in 1st and 2nd year.
because "it's impossible to learn C/C++ well in 45*.75 hours, and we can only teach you concepts or aswer your questions if you have any problems. besides, during your senior year you'll have program so much in 6 different languages, you'll get sick of it."
>>
>>60728204
Yeah but that doesn't change the fact you are the king of retards.
>>
File: 1464607983216.gif (48KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1464607983216.gif
48KB, 600x600px
>>60725310
CS is a degree for retards.
Like, no joke, I was penetration-testing a system for a friend a few days ago and he was conducting job interviews for the positions of sysadmin and junior dev meanwhile nearby.
You would be surprised how many fucking retards that have a bachelors diploma in CompSci can't even name the order of cables in CAT5 when crimping it or estimate the O(f(n)) in a cycle.
And I majored in Applied Physics/Electrical Engineering and minored in Medicine, for crying out loud. I shouldn't be the one who knows this shit.

t. Slav
>>
>compuger science (for lack of a better word)
>>
Everything is a meme just do whatever the fuck you want.
>>
>>60728805
>CS learning EE stuff
I... what?
>>
>>60726280
It's true that programmers in the workplace frequently copy paste code from the internet, but the copied code is generally only useful as a starting point, not as completed work (or even work that's close to being completed). Generally speaking, you can't cheat your way through your job in the real world because the only people who know about your company's codebase are the people in your company.
>>
>>60728863
>>CS learning EE stuff
?
Is being capable of estimating O(f(n)) not expected of a CS major?
>>
Why doesn't the private sector respect computer science? During my interviews they basically only asked about stuff that I was doing in the first two years of my degree.
>>
>>60728805
You're the retarded one if you think this is part of CS.
>>
>>60728910
Because those are the parts that matter to companies.
>>
File: 1361384932161.jpg (9KB, 260x258px) Image search: [Google]
1361384932161.jpg
9KB, 260x258px
>>60728805
>HURRR BEEG-O WORKS EVERYWHERE
You sound like the intern at my job last year.
>>
>>60728974
Stories please.
>>
>>60728805
>And I majored in Applied Physics/Electrical Engineering and minored in Medicine, for crying out loud. I shouldn't be the one who knows this shit.

You sound like such a fucking faggot.
>>
CS or EE? In terms of job availability and security.
>>
>>60729010
Accounting bro
>>
>>60729010
CS by a long shot. Every EE field that doesn't involve software is in "consolidation," and the salaries of pretty much every job that isn't in semiconductors are far from where even entry-level CS incomes are.

Basically now that every Pajeet seems to know Cadence Virtuoso and Verilog, every EE company is trying their best to outsource and H1-B their workforce. Shit, Intel's middle-management is filled with Pajeets.

If you really want to do EE-type stuff, follow the IoT meme. Which is still largely software.
>>
>>60729087
That sucks.
>>60729063
Accounting isn't even going to be out sourced it's getting automated hard.
>>
>>60729112
You have to add the word "public" in front of accounting if you want actual job security. The life of a CPA is the very definition of the rat race however.
>>
>>60725310
>CS
>Lifting other code is considered bad practice
>Math
>Lifting other people's finds is considered normal practice

makes you use your noggin.
>>
>>60729142
Nobody says anything against using available libraries and algorithms, which would be the counterpart to using established proofs.
>>
>>60728669
What's the stance on Bsc versus a Master's in the US? I feel like a Bsc isn't enough in europe.
>>
>>60728669

how well could you write before attending?, not sure if im just bad at self learning, or I shouldnt put too much energy into something ill never be great at
>>
>>60729201
so you would be against somebody taking a solution to a problem in math just because he didn't calculate it?
>>
>>60725940
>If they aren't there for the coding, they sure as shit aren't there for the first order logic module.

I've had classmates back in my college days who were more interested in theory of CS, first order logic, theory of languages and all that stuff rather than coding. Actually, they were pretty bad at coding and some of them eventually transitioned to pure Math degrees, but yeah it's entirely plausible.
>>
>>60725310
>computer sience
>>
File: 1495431483260.png (260KB, 593x635px) Image search: [Google]
1495431483260.png
260KB, 593x635px
>>60725373
This >>60725496
Do you know how many IT positions there are that want a CS or equivalent degree? Its ridiculous
>>
>you shouldn't use stackexchange
>>Why?
>because I said so, that's why
>>
>>60725310
In high school my teacher used publicly available tests so I spent an entire year remembering answers to hundreds of questions on tests we had several times a week.

Didn't learn shit but now I can remember massive chunks of information and shit it out.
>>
>>60729214
The people I know who got their masters found work pretty easily and opened themselves up for more jobs out of state. However I always point out to people that masters programs are reserved for people with good grades so I think these people would have done just fine with a Bs. I don't know anything about europe though.

>>60729251
Never wrote any code before college. I went into CS because I was slightly more math inclined in high school and I wanted to learn how the internet worked.
>>
>>60729394
thats a pretty valuable skill tbqh
>>
File: mostridiculous.jpg (44KB, 263x345px) Image search: [Google]
mostridiculous.jpg
44KB, 263x345px
>>60725373
>computer science
>actual science
>>
>>60728805
>estimate the O(f(n)) in a cycle
what ?
is there something missing or have i lost 90% of my cognitive functions ?
wth does in a cycle mean ?
>>
>>60728805
>I am very smart

The post
>>
>>60729278
Yes, if you cant fully demonstrate a proof by hand and/or use other proofs that prove your point, your proof will never be accepted.

>calculate
>in math research
Oh boy
>>
>>60729352
By luck, I came upon a job listing last year that had minimal requirements. You need to search harder and wait for an opportunity. In meantime you should lower the bar and work at McDonalds or something.
>>
>>60728805
>tfw you realize this post isn't even bait, it's actually some underaged loser high schooler pretending to be smart
>>
>>60725701
well, desu, it isn't

Compared to all the other shit you can end up doing, "sitting down at a computer and typing some shit" is pretty fucking good and I'd be doing it even if it paid $10/hr
>>
Who the fuck takes a compsci degree just to learn how to code? If you're actually passionate about coding then you can learn it just fine on your own and build a portfolio on your free time. 90% of people with compsci degrees will just end up being code monkeys instead of doing what they actually want to do.
>>
>>60729563
this is /g/, people here think studying CS means learning how to code and don't understand why you need to learn math, automata theory, formal languages, etc when studying CS because "you don't need any of that to be a programmer"
>>
>>60728669
>60k
Lol I make more than that as a waiter.
>>
>>60729686
that's the spirit ! you don't need to be ashamed that you are a begger living off donations from other people because they pity you !
>>
File: 1483905725228.jpg (64KB, 736x682px) Image search: [Google]
1483905725228.jpg
64KB, 736x682px
>Get computer sciences degree
>Start own company about a year ago
>STILL get emails and calls from people that received my contact information from my college that desperately want to hire me

Why are companies so thirsty for people who actually know how to do shit? I'm not even bothering to respond to them anymore
>>
>>60729686
That's a starting salary.
>>
>>60729352
>walk in with comptia, cisco, and microsoft certs
>get hired with better pay because I know what the fuck I'm doing.

CS degrees are being recognized as a joke. Certifications are where it's at.
>>
>>60725310
>tfw CSC Major
Am i really wasting my time. I like coding a lot, and don't want to be stuck doing IT or some shit. What do I do /g/?
>>
>>60729753
are you from the bay area?
>>
File: 1468419442002.jpg (22KB, 362x358px) Image search: [Google]
1468419442002.jpg
22KB, 362x358px
>>60729876
what should you do? Dont listen to /g/. 95% of the ppl on this board have never had an IT job. Keep studying retard, are you really gonna throw away college because /g/ told you to?
>>
>>60729876
whats CSC ?
but if you want to get a programming job, just build up a github portfolio.

small contributions to FOSS projects < working on a FOSS project < being maintainer of a FOSS project

contributions to projects that are included in the official repos of major distributions (debian, rhel/centos, fedora, ubuntu, suse,..) > maintaining your own little projects if they aren't included in any official repos.
>>
>>60725669
>this is me
>hate CS
>probably too late, just finished 2nd year

;_;
>>
>>60729915
No, I live in Belgium. I won a couple of national programming contests so that got their dicks all fired up I guess?
>>
Getting the job done with the least amount of work, resources and fiddling done in a sane and safe manor is literally all that matters.

Anyone that says to contrary is a greasy jew.
>>
File: 1455310679806.png (287KB, 836x1065px) Image search: [Google]
1455310679806.png
287KB, 836x1065px
>>60725310
CS has always been a meme
>>
>>60725310
For reference, I'm an EE major.

One of the CS classes I had to take was an OOP/data structures calss. The point was to familiarize EEs with OOP concepts and data structures. Anyways, the professor didn't give a shit if you searched the internet, because his view of the class was that it was more important to understand why you would use a given data structure or algorithm, rather than implement it. In reality, you're never going to need to know a hundred different algorithms off the top of your head, because anyone with some programming experience should be able to implement an algorithm for their use case after a quick lookup. So he was consistently more concerned with us understanding the pros and cons to different data structures/algorithms/paradigms and why'd you use them than if we could memorize the algorithm. To that end, most of his assessments were on what to use rather than how to use it. The other important thing he did was gave assignments that forced the use of a given concept in a specific application, that couldn't be pulled from the internet. So even though we could just google how to implement a given sorting function or whatever, we still had to build it into the assignment.

Anyways, CS majors are chumps. Graduate CS is respectable, because it actually deals with computational theory and the study of algorithms, but a B.S. CS degree is just a shitty code monkey degree. Most universities just slam you with how to do 101 things in [university's this will get you a job language] (mine is C++, a lot are Java).

I got more programming experience my first year as an EE than the CS majors at my school get in four years. I had to learn (a small fraction of because it's a retarded language) C++, Python, strict C, x86_64 assembly, Lisp, and Verilog. Sure, I don't know nearly as much about C++, but all they can do with it is churn shitty pooinloo tier code if the task is spelled out for them.
>>
>>60728669
>60k
Lol what the fuck? You don't even need to go to college to make that money.
>>
>>60725669
It's possible they just hate their university and actually like computer science.

I'm in 4th year computer engineering and I fucking hate the program. Instead of studying, I often just work on side projects, since grades don't really matter as long as I get above 60%.
>>
>>60729010
EE with self taught CS. Any idiot can learn to program. electrical engineering will give you more critical thinking skills and a stronger background.
>>
>>60725408
Lmao
Le trash man does videos now?
>>
>>60728805
>You would be surprised how many fucking retards that have a bachelors diploma in CompSci can't even name the order of cables in CAT5 when crimping it or estimate the O(f(n)) in a cycle.
I have a bachelor in CS and I have no idea what you're talking about
>>
>>60730125
>Any idiot can learn to program.
Yeah, just like any idiot can learn how to solder shit together
>>
>>60730086
>>>60728669
>>60k
>Lol what the fuck? You don't even need to go to college to make that money.
If you live in a flyover state/rural area it's actually a lot where good housing is super cheap.
>>
>I studied CS!
>I'm so much better. I studied EE!
>Pffft, math major 300k starting!
>Like, can any of you stupid virgins finally fix the damn printer?
>>
>>60730154
>EE
>soldering shit together
Nice joke. That's like saying anyone can learn mechanical or structural engineering because anyone can bolt shit together. Any decent EE program has just as much if not more logic and theory material than CS, because of the digital world we live in. EE programs generally focus on the higher reasoning and design aspects because it's fucking engineering. Hypothetically CS degrees would too, but at every university besides some top tier one, the program has deteriorated into a code monkey production program, which anyone can do.
>>
>>60728904
Nope
>>
>>60730235
>Nice joke
i know, almost as good as

>CS
>learn to program
>>
I work in a University Registry - fucking Engineering students make up 90% of my academic misconduct casework.
>>
>>60725373
What degree should I go for then?
>>
>>60730125
A thousand times this.
>>
>>60730041
>he was consistently more concerned with us understanding the pros and cons to different data structures/algorithms/paradigms and why'd you use them than if we could memorize the algorithm

You really should understand how the data structures and algorithms work because you can implement their ideas in new situations. It's also necessary to understand these algorithms to do time complexity analysis on them, which will help you do time complexity analysis on future projects.
>>
>>60730154
>Yeah, just like any idiot can learn how to solder shit together

This is funny because I would bet at least half of the electrical engineers in this planet and probably much more, don't have any idea how to solder properly or at all.

Most EE programs don't teach that shit, engineers don't do that shit, technicians do.

Now kys code monkey numale homo
>>
File: cucked.jpg (28KB, 640x600px) Image search: [Google]
cucked.jpg
28KB, 640x600px
Funnily enough, almost everyone I know IRL who thinks CS is a meme is either a unemployed dropout or someone who switched to EC/EE and earns about the same as me. Pic unrelated.
>>
>>60725310
Most people drop out of Computer Science Major in real life because you need to pass Calculus Classes.

That is how they weed you out.

For Premed Students, Organic Chemistry is how they weed out premed majors.
>>
>>60730576
>Most EE programs don't teach that shit, engineers don't do that shit, technicians do.

i know, that was a sarcastic reply to his equally retarded statement
>self taught CS. Any idiot can learn to program

CS programs teach you how to program in the first semester, but thats about it. you do have to got into some programming languages, but just as tools to either prove that your work is correct or as reference
just like how EE students have to learn how to use their scope, signal generator, etc. they are just fucking tools.
>>
>>60730668
Premeds also have to take calculus.
>>
>>60725310
I remember half of my class failing a module and having to resit the following summer because they all copied the same fucking stack overflow solution. Did anybody who did that actually learn anything by doing that? No, of course they didn't and they were correctly punished for it.
>>
File: CS school.png (3MB, 2200x3276px) Image search: [Google]
CS school.png
3MB, 2200x3276px
Most schools are shit for CS anyway
>>
>>60725865

I'm aware that CS is not just coding, but that's the image that's being sold nowadays.

Okay, for your second point I've really met few and far people inbetween who are driven like this.

Finally, on your last point... No, passion doesn't make you excel, but lack of passion, and interest combined with lack of effort is what I witness very, very often.

People who lack passion, but put effort, or at least want to excel have some purpose. All I get to see is people who are just... There, they exist, get a hardly passing grade and just keep going.

Some other desperate cases are mommy's and daddy's boys that keep taking the same classes again and again, and keep failing at them.
>>
>>60730111

When people like something they show interest. I approach some of the people in the group I'm talking about and they space out, or seem really disinterested.
>>
>>60730886
>they were correctly punished for it.
they weren't punished, they were given a second chance.
the first 2 semesters are used to teach students the formal basics, techniques on how to solve problems, how to prove your assumptions, etc
you can easily cheat your way through those 2 semesters, but afterwards you'd be in big trouble because there wont be any straight forward solutions for the problems you are given for your assignments.
so you'd either have to drop out or basically redo the first 2 semesters
>>
>>60730886
Shitty programmers copy paste
Great programmers steal ideas
>>
>>60727110
>>60728204
What does it make you dipshit?
>>
>>60730041
>So he was consistently more concerned with us understanding the pros and cons to different data structures/algorithms/paradigms and why'd you use them than if we could memorize the algorithm.

Lol, why is that bad?
>>
So what about Computer Engineering then? Is it better than Computer Science?
>>
>>60729947
Computer SCience
>>
>>60730086
>>60729686

It's almost like cost of living is not the same everywhere!
>>
>>60731671
it's EE but a meme
>>
>>60728805
Color order of what a cat5 Ethernet cable is in? Why the fuck would a CS major be fixing up Ethernet cables?
I'm fucked if I need to find the big complexity of cycle detection...
>>
>>60731869
Big O complexity
>>
>>60725669
When it comes to your hobby, by all means let your passion guide you. But when deciding on a career you have to look at economic opportunity first.
>>
>>60731671
CE is the academic major that studies computers using math, physics, and EE. CS is for people too weak to pass advanced math or physics courses. Compare:

>>CS
>1st year
Bullshit java/OO coding class
Bullshit data structures class
Piss easy calculus classes
Piss easy matrix algebra class
[If you're lucky] physics I&II for non-science majors

>2nd year
Watered down "computer architecture" class
Pompous software engineering class
Pathetic discrete "math" class
Watered down "probability" class
Crash course on formal languages and automata

>3rd year
Pathetic algorithms course
Watered down computability and complexity theory course
Laughable networks course
Laughable database course
Crash course on various programming languages

>4th year
Laughable computer security course
[If you're lucky] an Operating Systems class
[If you're lucky] a Compilers class
Horseshit AI with trivial machine learning
5-10 student team Capstone with one dude doing all the work
and all the bullshit easy electives you want

>>CE/ECE/EE
>1st year
C++/C Coding class
C++/C Data Structures and Algorithm
Easy vector calculus
Piss easy matrix algebra class
Ordinary Differential Equations
Physics I&II
Chem I&II

>2nd year
PDEs, Complex Variables, or Advanced Engineering Mathematics [which is half of each]
Probability and Random Processes
Numerical Analysis
Signal and System Analysis
Circuits
Physics III
Digital Logic
An actual Computer Architecture class

>3rd year
Electronics I&II
Communication Systems
Digital Signal Processing
[if CE or ECE] Discrete Math with Coding and Information Theory
[if EE or ECE] Control Theory
[if CE] Operation Systems
[if CE] Digital System Design
[if CE] Embedded Systems

>4th year
Capstone where everyone actually does shit
[if you're unlucky] Ethics
Electives [for CE]:
Compilers
Computer Vision
Computer Graphics
VLSI Design
Networks
Cryptography
Reverse Engineering
Information Theory
Convex Optimization
Distributed Computing
among others
>>
>>60728805
>penetration-testing a system for a friend a few days ago
your entire "job" consists of using programs made by actually competent people
please shut the fuck up
>Applied Physics/Electrical Engineering and minored in Medicine
right, this is bait
>>
>>60731971
>hurr durr I can plug stuff into matlab
take a real math class fag
>>
>>60731971
>going to shitty pajeet uni
>>
>>60725669
Most people go to college to get a piece of paper that they can present on their resume to get a job. Not everyone there is a "lol bro do it for the looooove maaaan" hippie retard, most of which end up dropping out anyway.
>>
File: CS.png (886KB, 1170x500px) Image search: [Google]
CS.png
886KB, 1170x500px
>>60732048
>I struggled in algorithms so it must be hard for everyone
>>
>>60732230
I aced A&D nigger and that while being hangover.

Also
>Physics 1-3
>good
Its literally drop out highschool tier. Come back when you do theoretical physics (which is even easier in your country but yet it still seems to crush all of the exchange students that come here) and thermodynamics with focus on chemical behavior.
t. ex. physics student who switched to CS
>>
>>60731971
there's like half the classes missing and the learning material from the first 2 semesters spanned over 3 years.
did you make that up or is that some indian curriculum ?
>>
File: 1493779150922.png (13KB, 439x461px) Image search: [Google]
1493779150922.png
13KB, 439x461px
Can anyone who did the whole "skip school and learn coding cause CS is a meme" share their experiences/current job?

Funnily enough, 99% of them are shitty CRUD developers making 35k/year in a flyover state.

I'm a grad student in CS working at Nokia doing embedded software for radios by the way. Degree is 100% worth it desu if you're not stupid and can capitalize on the opportunities presented to you in college
>>
>>60732363

You don't need college to get into development, but you must be much more motivated than people with even a toilet paper if you don't want to be stuck in a crappy job
>>
>>60732363
From what i have heard project management thinks they are even worse than pajeets.
You will still get a job, unless you are retarded, especially because management likes to save money since you wont be paid as good as a phd but dont expect to be welcome unless you actually perform.
>>
>>60725373
>look for code online
>don't see that it is GPL'd
>put it in a company product
>company gets sued because of you
top kek
>>
>>60727161
>Applied Technology Evangelism
Would you mind redpilling me on that, my dearest anon?
>>
>>60732533
You won't be welcomed with or without a degree if you don't perform.
>>
>>60731971
are all american universities that bad ?
>>
>>60732893
Yes and no name schools are even worse
>>
>>60732893
yeah, thats why they hire so many indians. not because they are cheaper, its because they have a better education
>>
File: 1460933155927.webm (205KB, 600x406px) Image search: [Google]
1460933155927.webm
205KB, 600x406px
Good thing there's already an extension for that.
>>
>>60733007
that kinda explains /g/
that curriculum is pathetic.
>>
>>60733041
CS courses overall have just gone to shit, a friend of mine brags about being at a "top 15 university" and he hasnt even done anything outside of Java, and he's a 3rd year student.
>>
>>60733098
berkeley, stanford, ucla, etc still seem to have decent CS curricula
>>
>>60730035
>We learn about logic like DeMorgan's Law, graph theory like A*, and discrete probability like Bayes' law.

You forgot combinatorics like the pigeonhole principle, linear algebra like Gaussian elimination, real analysis like limits, numerical analysis like the bisection method, and abstract algebra like modulo operations in fizzbuzz.
>>
File: BAKE IT.jpg (63KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
BAKE IT.jpg
63KB, 1280x720px
>go into a CS Degree thinking I'll enjoy the science part
>uni almost over
>only had one decent course and it was a theory course

It's nothing but rejects thinking they'll be the next big indie game creator. Literally about 1/4th of the students play games in class, then complain that they're failing. I feel really fucking bad for the teachers. Some of the questions I hear are

>Do you know how to overclock a computer?
>How much more ram do I need to compile my program better?
>Why do pointers exist? (we use Java and its the worst)
>Is it ok if we have 5+ nested for loops?
>Why do we care about memory usage? It's only using a couple hundred megs (this was for a calculator program)

If you ask teachers about anything other then video games, like "What's the use of malloc vs calloc in C, and when do you use one over the other?," their eyes light up because one student has finally asked a question that isnt related to video games. I've gotten into a functional programming class simply because I asked my teacher for anything that wasnt video game related.

Also, when I graduate, I'll just be another coding shmuck who'll get abused into coding some idiot start up app.

Don't fall for the CS meme.
>>
>>60728805
>can't even name the order of cables in CAT5 when crimping it

I'm a computer science and engineering major, just finished my second year. I've never needed to crimp a CAT5 cable. I guess I haven't taken networking yet (which is a CS elective, but not a requirement), but no requirements seem like they would cover that. That's really in the domain or IT.

>or estimate the O(f(n)) in a cycle

Do you mean like for a graph? Because I can do that. They drill the big O notation stuff into us pretty early on.
>>
File: stack overflow.jpg (246KB, 1017x873px) Image search: [Google]
stack overflow.jpg
246KB, 1017x873px
>>60733030
I don't know why but this is making me think of this
https://twitter.com/mitsuhiko/status/712624914071728128

Someone made a joke implementation that imports twitter posts as libraries, I can imagine the same for SO.
https://gist.github.com/rauchg/5b032c2c2166e4e36713
>>
>>60725310
THERE'S A SNIPER GET DO-
>>
>>60725310
CS is not about writing code. It's like studying maths and people calling you a cheater for using a calculator.
>>
>>60733277
Lol, so you're hoping that your fellow students would be at least as competent as you? Why would you want more competitors?
>>
>>60733342
It's not that I want competition, but it would be nice to talk to real human beings in my vicinity that actually care about the same shit I do.
>>
>>60730826
Except the point is most CS programs are trash and do just teach you how to be a code monkey.
>>
>>60731638
It's not bad. The point I was trying to convey is ripping code off the internet shouldn't be a problem because CS programs should be taught at a high enough level where it doesn't matter if students need a reference on the details of an implementation or not because the challenge is to apply it to their application or modify it to fit their needs. That ripping a code is a problem shows a school has a shitty program because it means their degree is just teaching you to churn out code without thinking, whether you look it up or memorize it makes no difference.

TL;DR: These universities should be looking at why ripping code leads to success in their program rather than trying to prevent plagiarism.
>>
File: 1471481001067.png (44KB, 753x772px) Image search: [Google]
1471481001067.png
44KB, 753x772px
>>60733304
I also have another one of these
>>
>>60731671
CE isn't a well defined major. In the time I've been in school my university swung it from EE minus a few classes to CS plus a few classes. Most EE programs are very comprehensive and offer electives that you can take into almost any sector of electronics. But it really just depends. A school's CE program could be good or it could be trash.
>>
>>60733277
>Why do pointers exist?
Every. Fucking. Time.

They're not even that hard. I don't get. Humanity's been working with addresses for a century.
>>
>>60733337
>>60733407
Except if you let kids use a calculator from the start, they'll never actually learn to do the most basic math in their heads.

These kids are in beginner classes doing the most basic stuff; this is the point where they should prove that they know how to write a goddam search algorithm. Even if they're going to end up using the one from that language's standard library, they should still know how to write this shit.
>>
>>60733369
honestly no idea what/how american universities are doing, but most universities of technology in central europe offer "real" CS degrees
>>
>>60733543
Sure, but if the course is well written they'll have to do it in an application specific environment where lifting code would be useless beyond understanding how an algorithm works.

Conceptual understanding of algorithms can also be easily tested in traditional testing environments. There's no reason for it to be a problem other than a shitty CS program that enables it. Even if they did copy paste their way through intro classes their first semester, later classes should cause them to fail.
>>
>>60733556
American universities for the most part have shitty CS programs, at least for undergrad. The world renowned universities everyone hears about usually have good ones, but most everywhere else it's shit.
>>
>>60733577
>Sure, but if the course is well written they'll have to do it in an application specific environment where lifting code would be useless beyond understanding how an algorithm works.
I'd agree with you to some degree. There should be some balance between overly simplified generic problems and environments with super specific limitations/requirements that will never be encountered in the real world.

Any problem that you might encounter in the real world has been solved in a dozen languages on stackoverflow, so the teachers either have to be extremely strict about copying code, or they have to come up with problems that don't fall into the real-world category.

>Conceptual understanding of algorithms can also be easily tested in traditional testing environments.
I guess, but I hate writing code on paper.

>Even if they did copy paste their way through intro classes their first semester, later classes should cause them to fail.
Yes, but ideally the early classes should weed out these students earlier.
>>
File: 1453302607095.jpg (148KB, 953x953px) Image search: [Google]
1453302607095.jpg
148KB, 953x953px
I'm like 2 weeks or so from finishing CS degree, and I didn't think the course was that bad. So much of the shit was optional, so you could pick the shit that mainly interests you. There were literally no compulsory courses in the third year, as long as they were 300 level CS papers.
Is all of the shit in this thread just a burgercuck thing?
>>
>>60733696
Nah, it's all just made up
no idea where you can go to university to become a code monkey and somehow escape actual computer science
>>
>>60725310
Chinks and poos chest nonstop, more news at 11
>>
>>60728805
lmao at all the code monkeys who got triggered by this post

comp sci students are even dumber than engineering students, which is impressive
>>
>>60725669
I'm the opposite. I picked up CS becase I did some basic python stuff in seventh grade and just liked it and had lots of fun, to the point that I started doing C++ on my own time. Chose it as a major without really thinking.
Might now turn out the greatest but I honestly don't care to much about how much money I'm making.
>>
You guys realize most of these problems aren't anything specific to CS and have to do more with the fact that American higher education is absolute garbage right?
>>
>>60733030
Can't any of the people on SO sue you for this?
>>
>>60725310
yes coding is stack overflow
>>
>>60729443
Function composition you stupid mong, this is middle school tier shit
>>
>>60729443
He means estimate the big O of a loop. Like any stem major can look at
for(i=1 to n)
product=1
net=0;
for(j=i; j>0; j>>=1)
product*=3
if(j&1)
net+=product
sum+=net
return sum

and tell that it's Θ(n*ln(n)) in a glance. A cs major would spill his spaghetti.
>>
>>60735442
CS major, yeah. I think most CS majors will stare at the inner loop and have no idea what to do since they've forgotten that the rightshift is just a log.
>>
>>60735841
>rightshift is just a log
it's not ? right shift is a division by powers of 2
>>
>>60735442
A math major will say that sum=3^n+1-3/2 and ask why you're doing it so stupidly.
>>
>>60735442
>A cs major would spill his spaghetti.
oh come on, there are some "skeletons" where every CS student immediately recognizes the complexity
>>
File: 88c.jpg (15KB, 673x625px) Image search: [Google]
88c.jpg
15KB, 673x625px
>Lost in life going after a CS degree
>Hating my life doing Calc 2 right now since it's a pre req
>Haven't even begun coding classes, just going through the motions since I don't know what I want to do with my life
Am I in for a meme? I genuinely enjoy computers and building and troubleshooting shit but I don't know guys, i'm scared.
>>
>>60736205
Why the fuck are you even in school?
>>
>>60736205
That's not a question a technology board can answer. Try /adv/ or maybe /his/ if you want the philosophical perspective of what to do with life.
>>
>>60736205
>graduate with CS degree
>didn't take any internships
>moved across the country
>took a year off
>didn't do side projects
>people are mad that I'm unemployable

I never even wanted a degree. I literally just want to make music and live in a garage
>>
>>60736216
Cause the thought of going full time at my shit job at best buy makes me want to kill myself.

>>60736224
Thanks, I've been in contact with advisers and shit but just the concept of sticking to something for more than 2 years makes me miserable, I'm sure i'd like coding since I've dabbled in it, but Yeah, sticking to the same is morally berating
>>
>>60736231
I feel you completely, I want to do somthing I enjoy and be able to live, but I still haven't find my lifes calling. Like I said I like computers and tech but making it a living i'm iffy on.
>>
>>60736246
It doesn't help that openings are literally overflowing with applications, so people with literally 0 passion aren't even considered unless they fake it hardcore
>>
I just finished Calc II, I got a B. FUCK!
>>
Maybe your going after the wrong thing?
Im majoring in Comp Sci, but my side hustle is 3D Modeling, Animation, Level Design, etc. Mathematics is literally built into the UI of any of the programs i use so its fun for me.
>>
>>60736318
>In calc 2
>Getting into trig sub
>Want to kill myself since I cheated my way through Trig in the first place and don't know identities
>>
>>60736318
At least Calc 2 is the hardest of 1-3. Took em all in high school and 2 is the only one that made me hate myself constantly
>>
>>60730913
What's wrong with introduction to the theory of computation by Michael Sipser?

I've seen it recommended on a few different sites, and had been planning on going through it on my own (doesn't seem to be much CS theory at the uni here).
>>
>>60725310
Engineer checking in. And I mean a real one. Not some faggoty software engineer.
Capitalism has made CS the shittiest field.

In Science, when you solve a problem, you share the results so everyone can expand the boundaries of what you can do together. Because software gets patented, people are forced to recreate the wheel every fuckin time they need to solve a simple problem, or pay an insane licensing fee.

CS will forever be a piece of shit field until it goes truly open source and everyone gets to share all code. We waste too much time reinventing the wheel and it's holding our entire species back.

Imagine if every new bridge or building that got built, the fundamental math had to be recomputed because the original calculations were trademarked.
>>
>>60736189
There are a surprising number of CS majors that don't recognize nor understand repeated squaring. And even more than don't understand repeated doubling for multiplication since they never seen it before.
>>
>>60736608
kinda like medicine?
>>
>>60725310
>Stockbrokers should inside trade and not get punished.
>>
>>60736539
It's TOC for high schoolers.
>>
>>60736608
>there are no patents in engineering
>0/10
>>
File: images (28).jpg (22KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
images (28).jpg
22KB, 384x384px
>>60725373
>copying and pasting
I stirr raugh at this one errytime.
>>
>>60736608
>CS will forever be a piece of shit field until it goes truly open source and everyone gets to share all code.
just to get that straight: are you saying that state owned universities in america don't publish their research and don't release software they write under a free license ?
>>
File: Sloth.jpg (874KB, 1560x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Sloth.jpg
874KB, 1560x2048px
>>60725408
CS definitely does not follow traditional scientific method, especially because the experiments can be more easily replicated.
>>
>>60734694
No
>>
>>60733543
> they'll never actually learn to do the most basic math in their heads.
It's a pretty much pointless skill now that everyone has a smartphone with a calculator at all times anyhow.

Would be much better if they learned an additional chapter of mathematical logic or statistic methods or just programming or something rather than training to be a human computer that is relatively quick in running just a few algorithms.
>>
>>60737228
>It's a pretty much pointless skill now that everyone has a smartphone with a calculator at all times anyhow.
this has to be bait
>>
>>60736608
> Capitalism has made CS the shittiest field
> Because software gets patented
No, extreme capitalism has made the USA shit.

You're one of very few countries that acknowledges software patents.

> CS will forever be a piece of shit field until it goes truly open source and everyone gets to share all code
This won't solve software patents, heh.

And open source is a trend started by mainly computer scientists.

> We waste too much time reinventing the wheel and it's holding our entire species back.
Everyone else does, too, anyhow.

> because the original calculations were trademarked
You'd just call your calculations something else than SafBridgeCalc and move on. Trademark isn't a huge problem.
>>
>>60737269
Nah, why? Almost all people I see will grab their smartphone to do calculations if their work station doesn't have a purpose-built calculator (be it excel tables or a scanner-calculator in a cash register or Matlab or something else).

You'd better teach them more areas of maths or how to really use a more complex CAS or even to read and write software rather than trying to make them fast at doing division or solve partial differential equations on paper, things which are better abstracted in software algorithms.
>>
>>60737340
You should never do an calculation on a computer unless you already know the answer.
>>
>>60737340
that's like saying "humans shouldn't learn how to walk because most people drive cars anyway if they want to get somewhere"

calculating is one of the most fundamental and important skills, and you subconsciously apply it all the time.
>>
>>60736397
What were Calc 1-3 at your school? My calc sequence has been a one semester course on limits, differentiation, integration (including non-elementary integrals), a one semester course on multi-variable calculus, and then a one semester course on ODEs.
>>
>>60737354
You should never drive a car unless you can build it from raw materials. Nope.

What you probably should be able to do is pick suitable algorithms to have excuted, but people most definitely generally don't learn that in school. Nah, you just learn how to human computer execute a handful, covering almost fuck all of maths.

>>60737419
It's more you're not learning how to substitute for a car's chassis. Where to ideally place a car engine, how to hold axles, and what parts you minimally need so the heat of the engine or a gas tank spill doesn't set you on fire.

15 minutes setup time, you'll be graded when your teacher rides you for 20 minutes minimum - go!

Human brains are equally shit at systematically running algorithms.

> and you subconsciously apply it all the time
No, certainly not.
>>
>>60737228
Most people don't even know what Calculus is. they know it exists, but they have no concept of what it entails. They don't even understand a limit. Yet they all possess devices capable of solving differential equations. Doesn't mean it does them any good.
>>
File: caterpie.png (221KB, 476x480px) Image search: [Google]
caterpie.png
221KB, 476x480px
>>60728805

I feel like people don't keep that unrivaled curiosity of newbie who opened a computer or typed few codes. Love what you are doing, perseverance, hard work and enthusiasm is what keeps me doing what I do with computers. I love the feeling of see a program or system that I made working properly, feels really good.
Study and go to a college is really important, but love computers and have the curiosity of learn new tricks everyday with enthusiasm and enjoying every little part of the process is what can make you shine among the others.

Sorry if I was too passional, I really love what I do and I want learn more and more.

Thank you.
>>
>>60737495
Shows how "well spent" that large fraction of time was when you trained them to be fairly quick about monkey executing this and then that and then that algorithm exactly.
>>
>>60737489
about what level of math skills/what kind of calculations are we exactly talking ?
>>
>>60737632
Any.
>>
>>60725310
I managed to get an A1 in a module on lua by only using Println
>>
>>60729973
respect my dude if thats true
>>
>>60729938

You deserve a hug.
>>
File: Nephila-clavipes-2.jpg (471KB, 734x873px) Image search: [Google]
Nephila-clavipes-2.jpg
471KB, 734x873px
>>60737569

Another thing that made me really happy is the fact we have access to information through the internet and a really powerful brain to learn everything we want. I feel like a child with some infinity amount of Lego blocks to play an create all things I want. I'm really happy of have such access to information.

You guys should try hard everyday and have fun, this what really matter n the end of the day.
>>
>>60736147
thats wrong though, just tested it
>>
>>60737757
how would you be able to estimate a time interval, distance or dimensions without doing some calculations in your head ?
>>
>>60738116
bullshit, MONEY is what matters

take your commie crap elsewhere
>>
File: 4fc.png (596KB, 1200x796px) Image search: [Google]
4fc.png
596KB, 1200x796px
>>
File: 1495314935925.jpg (82KB, 585x503px) Image search: [Google]
1495314935925.jpg
82KB, 585x503px
>>60725310
When I was in my last semester at school, half a class of graduate students got caught copying code in their assignment. All of them were from India. Apparently it's acceptable over there lol.
>>
>>60729965

Holy fuck are you me?
>>
>>60731917
>Wanting to spend 8+ hours a day doing something you hate so you can earn money to keep living to do something you hate
>>
>>60742151
no passion != hate
>>
>>60742411
If you're essentially forced to spend 8 hours a day, 5 days a week doing something you have no passion for you'll eventually start to hate it.
>>
>>60734442
Yeah this. Public schools are complete trash full of apathetic teachers giving mediocre curriculum to students who don''t really want to be there and it results in a learning environment where nothing gets done. Then they get carted off to college and the universities basically have to start from scratch because their students didn't carry anything of importance with them and don't actually know how to study/learn things on their own.
>>
>>60736608
>patents for software isn't okay
>patents for everything else is okay

You're a fucking moron. You just want to pirate shit.
>>
>>60730913
who the fuck would read all this junk?

fucking brainlets I swear
>>
>>60725310
>opinion of some articlemaker is relevant
>>
>>60742598
Most people don't know what they want to do, they will hate the job anyway.
>>
>>60726522
Grade inflation is a thing at all the ivies, not just harvard
>>
>>60735161
>O(f(n))
>thinking this is referring to function composition
holy fuck how stupid are you?
>>
>>60737044
Mostly, it is administrated by engineering schools rather than by Liberal Arts schools. This is you realizing that English majors are technically closer to Physics majors than CS majors.
>>
>>60737602
This is true.

>>60745407

it is a thing at every school. acceptance / graduation is a ratio that the bean counters use to rank schools.
Thread posts: 229
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.