[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When will people drop Rust for this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 2

File: D.png (232KB, 1000x758px) Image search: [Google]
D.png
232KB, 1000x758px
When will people drop Rust for this?
>>
Who?
>>
When the D Foundation has more money, influence, and history than Mozilla?

That IS the entire reason Rust has any traction.
>>
There is an app that I would really like to do in D but unfortunately D doesnt have very good support for GUI widget toolkits like they all seem to be either abandoned or barely maintained so I guess I'll have to use C++ since all the main libraries are in C++.
>>
>>60711533
>bad library support
>no backwards compatibility with C (the only reason C++ ever became popular)
>no large company backing its development
>worse tooling than Rust or C++
>brings no new ideas to the table
bad design, bad execution. who ever thought this was a good idea?
>>
>>60711903
Yeah it does. Tilix is made with the GTK-D bindings, which the author says are ace for real-world production. And then there's DlangUI, all kinds of QT and Tk bindings...you give up too easily.
>>
>>60711858
Mozilla is dying and barely alive though.
>>
>>60711999
This. Mozilla is pretty fucked.
>>
>>60711950
What I did was I started going down this list https://wiki.dlang.org/GUI_Libraries and a lot of them looked like they where not getting much love but I guess you right I gave up before I completed going down the list. Also why isnt Tilix on here?
>>
>>60712340
This is the one thing I don't really agree with them on, but they resist the idea that they should plan and lead from the foundation; if something needs to get done, they expect someone to jump in and get it done.

So I guess the idea is that someone needs to edit the Wiki article to sell the libraries better.
>>
>>60711950
and I just checked the dlangui repo and it looks like that the most recent work was done in mid 2016. So does it still work with no bugs to be fixed? I find that harder to believe than it's been at least semi abandoned and needs to receive some new TLC.
>>
>>60712535
Last commit 12 hours ago.

https://github.com/buggins/dlangui
>>
D is an awful name for a programming language
>>
>>60713057
Why?
It follows the convention, B, C, D, each being an upgraded version of the former.
>>
>>60711533
That would mean people have to pick Rust first.
>>
>>60713158
C is known because it was incredibly important.
D's importance is non-existent, having a letter has it's name is a luxury that it doesn't have.
>>
>>60713378
>People will know the importance of their language before it's used
Do you make a habit of speaking before you think?
>>
>>60711945
>bad library support
>no backwards compatibility with C (the only reason C++ ever became popular)
Do you just randomly select words to type or what?
>>
>>60711533
shill(er)s

they never learn

they never

learn
>>
>>60711999
>>60712277

Samsung is also a Rust sponsor
>>
>>60711533
When the phobos will become good.
Ranges without iterators are crap.
std.meta + std.traits are not strong enough, everyone is forced to write his own shit for reflections, wich are among the strongest language features yet are underdeveloped.
GC is meh.
And, yeah, important software developed in D: ...
>>
>>60711533
Probably never. Rust aside, there doesn't seem to be too much D offers over C++ than slightly better language design with less warts and faster compile times. And the second point may disappear, IF the C++ finally adds modules.
Promised CTFE seems to be a major let down, as it only seems to be able to solve pure expressions and not actually execute and manipulate code as shown in Jai that I hoped for.

>>60713558
That doesn't say anything about Rusts quality or future.
Remember, Samsung is shit-tier at software and they have adopted shit tier software (the enlightenment ecosystem) in the past and they still got nowhere.
>>
>>60711533
D was designed to be as close to C++ syntax as possible, its just a garbage collected language LARPing as C++.

If you want to use a garbage collected compiled language than you should use Go which takes advantage of all the modern programming features you would find in dynamically typed languages
>>
>>60714720
>D was designed to be as close to C++ syntax as possible, its just a garbage collected language LARPing as C++.
kek
>Go which takes advantage of all the modern programming features you would find in dynamically typed languages
Is that supposed to be some kind of warning?
>>
File: andreialexandrescudlangdev.jpg (32KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
andreialexandrescudlangdev.jpg
32KB, 960x540px
>>60711533
When D will stop being developed by gypsies.
>>
Why would I use D over Go (as a comparison of up and coming languages)?
>>
>>60714720
> Go which takes advantage of all the modern programming features
What a fucking idiot
>>
>>60714823
D is at least twice as fast
>>
>>60714753
>developed by gypsies
>not a bonus to the SJW rustdrones
>>
>>60711533
Whenever a large company picks it up and shills it. The language itself may be good but it won't get far without someone spending on PR and paying devs to write libraries for it.
>>
>>60713727
C++ will _never_ get modules, it's rejected already
>>
C++ really picked up the pace with C++11, killing any hope D had.
>>
>>60711533
I wanted to like D but what killed it for me was the spotty libraries and less than appropriate ways to debug code.
>>
>>60715319
>No modules
>No standard build system and package manager
>No unambiguous, human-readable syntax
>No option for automatic memory management
>No not-broken standard library

C++ doesn't have a chance, in my book. It may not be D, but in 20 years SOME systems language that's much easier to develop with is going to replace it.
>>
>>60715382
Package managers were a mistake
>>
>>60715271
You sure? Source? I heard the first approach (clang team, including macros) was rejected, but the second (ms team, excluding macros) wasn't yet.
>>
>>60715382
Except for the syntax, Rust is going to be a strong contender
>>
>>60711533
give me one good reason that does not involve politics why is should pick this steaming pile of shit over Rust.
>>
>Mozilla shills are getting this desperate
>>
>>60715784
cleaner, easier to read syntax. Disregard OP but D doesn't threaten Rust a bit. At this rate, Rust is going to replace C++ in the coming decades
>>
>>60715544
It's in the module TS. It was just rejected for 17.
>>
>>60715382
>No standard build system and package manager
This is literally the biggest reason for me to stay away from C/C++ as much as possible.
>>
>>60715833
This is literally irrelevant/impossible for low lever languages.
Explain how you would make a package for some software such as PETSc, genius.
>>
>>60715806
It still has a verbosity that smells of Java.
>>
>>60715784
>this streaming pile of shit
>over rust
Are you implying rust isn't a streaming pile of shit?
>>
>>60715846
D isn't verbose, Rust is
>>
>>60715850
I know D is pretty amazing but Rust has its place. Rust is lower level than D
>>
>>60715833
And the lack of modules.
>>
>>60711533
If not for Mozilla, Rust wouldn't stand a chance. Literally the ONLY advantages it has on D are:

>Memory safetime and compile-time lifetime analysis
Pretty much the only thing it's good at. Everything in the language is compromised to make this possible.

>All structures are essentially expressions
This makes things like pattern matching and functional composition possible, though when you sign up for D, you're kind of expecting statement-based C-style programming.

Once people waste thousands of hours of energy wrangling Rust into doing what they want it do, eyes will move to D over time and people will pick it up.
>>
>>60715871
What is the plan even for C++ modules?
Some kind of IR with metadata?
>>
>>60715845
D has compile-time evaluation, CIA nigger. You don't need to build libraries and link them to build a project. The package manager can pull in the source of a library, which has its own compile-time evaluations in order to compile correctly.

One executable. Donezo.
>>
>>60715980
Yeah no these libraries work like that. I guess thanks for your input.
>>
>>60713492

Its just people who havent even tried D, giving their opinion.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.