[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a reason that magnet link hosts arent decentralized

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 126146619087.jpg (31KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
126146619087.jpg
31KB, 500x375px
Is there a reason that magnet link hosts arent decentralized like the magnet link itself is?
e.g. Why is there not a mesh of servers all sharing torrent databases with regular refreshes that everybody with the tracker[s] can connect to, to prevent single point of failures like kickass and others lately have experience?
>>
>>60703596
I've heard of proof of concept stuff, but I think they're a tad heavy and unreliable when they go decentralized
>>
File: sakuragnunet.png (1MB, 1600x1700px) Image search: [Google]
sakuragnunet.png
1MB, 1600x1700px
reminder that gnunet is the future
>>
>>60703596
>Why is there not a mesh of servers all sharing torrent databases
There is, it's called DHT
>>
>>60703649
So why are there not big clusters of kickass databases floating around?
Is it just because the owners of these sites don't enable access to DB backups?
>>
>>60703596
doesn't match many torrenter's use case
why would they want to download the whole database if they only want to search for 1 magnet link?

also a non-discriminating distribution of the database will mix legal torrents like loonix distros with illegal stuff like movies or music and possibly really illegal stuff like pizza. If the db is centralized only the host of the base carries the risk of being fucked for sharing the pizza.
Otherwise it's everybody.
>>
>>60703684
Vuze has completely dht-based search, suggestions and subscriptions that nobody ever uses because >java
>>
>>60703596
>Why is there not a mesh of servers all sharing torrent databases

Some autograb torrents from other sites and add a few more trackers. I think limetorrnts does that, it grabs everything that rarbg gives, once rarbg deleted a movie after 1h or 2 but it was still on limetorrents.
It's not hard to make a script to grab new torrents from a site even though it doesn't have rss or irc channel.

ALSO IT'S VERY IMPORTANT TO NOT, I REPEAT NOT MAKE NEW TORRENTS THAT CONTAIN THE SAME FILE BECAUSE THE PEERS WILL GET SCATTERED.
Best thing is what is already happening now : sites copy the torrents from each other which means they have the same hash, which means all peers connect to one torrent which means more speed.

I'm surprised you /g/ tards don't already know this shit since it has been happening for 10 years now.
>>
>>60703684
>So why are there not big clusters of kickass databases floating around?
>DHT
That and more is already floating around you summerfag moron.
>>
>>60703640
this
>>
kademlia what?
>>
enjoy no comment sections warning you about shitty uploads and cp i guess.
>>
>>60703596
the scenes dont really like it
>>
>>60703640
Pedonet
>>
>>60703596
Please somebody explain to me if/why this is wrong:

Two machines can't connect directly to each other over the Internet because of routers and NAT and shit.

Any kind of peer-to-peer stuff (e.g. BitTorrent) needs some kind of third server to help set up the connection between the two peers (e.g. hole punching)

Therefore, servers have to exist in order to keep track of the peers and help them set up connections between each other.

You can't have truly decentralised peer-to-peer communication because firewalls and NAT fuck everything up.
>>
>>60714154
>Two machines can't connect directly to each other over the Internet because of routers and NAT and shit.
if you have a decent isp and access to the router, you shouldn't be that held back, ie you can forward ports or use upnp
>Any kind of peer-to-peer stuff (e.g. BitTorrent) needs some kind of third server to help set up the connection between the two peers (e.g. hole punching)
no, at least thats not how torrenting works now.
if both machines are NATd/firewalled to not accept incoming connections, then they just can't connect. bittorrent alone does no kind of hole punching, uses no kind or third server as an intermediary. it has trackers to let the peers know where to download from, but that had been supplemented and can be replaced by now. you can try it, on torrents with even just a few peers you should be able to disable all trackers and as long as you can use the dht you should be good, along with peer exchange to get the clients that don't have dht

>You can't have truly decentralised peer-to-peer communication because firewalls and NAT fuck everything up.
eh, as long as a few people can take incoming connections (hint: they can), all the issues we have can be fixed
>>
>>60714799
and by a decent isp I mean one that isnt doing carrier-grade NAT
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.