[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I get a X220?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

Graduated recently, and need something for Uni. The X220 seems to be a perfect fit for my needs, and falls in the budget of ~$200.
>>
just be yourself :^)
>>
>>60702521
depends. what's your major?
>>
buy a macbook pro :)
>>
>>60702549
Computer Science I have a desktop with a Xeon E3 1230v5 so this won't be my main workhorse just something to do some assignments and classwork on.
>>
>>60702521
you'll likely need a new battery, that's 20-100 bucks right there
might want a sda or 4 gbs of ram, another 100 bucks

I say chromebook and install linux on that
>>
Yes. But if you need it for programs a bit more graphically intensive, x230.
>>
>>60702560
Had a MBP 2012 as a loaner device. It was nice just don't want people to think I am a giant faggot.
>>
File: apple_unix_ad[1].jpg (401KB, 1976x1202px) Image search: [Google]
apple_unix_ad[1].jpg
401KB, 1976x1202px
>>60702566
If you're prepared to use linux full-time with it, then go for it, but you're going to have a far easier time with compsci with a retina macbook pro. I'm not even shilling for apple, I got rid of my macbook pro last year since I don't do any programming anymore- but there is no arguing that there is better all-around support for development on it.
>>
>>60702521
>The X220 seems to be a perfect fit for my needs, and falls in the budget of ~$200.

Then why the fuck ask if you should get it? Just fucking get it then.
>>
>>60702521
Got an x230 a few months ago, and I can confidently say it's the best laptop I've ever owned. If you're a diehard for the old keyboards, get the x220. If you've never used the old keyboards/don't care, just grab an x230 (and a dock, man those things are great).
>>
>>60702622

Man I wish Apple would treat their Pro series devices like this again. Glad Matt Casebolt is gone so that helps a little.
>>
>>60702636
Scored a T60, X61, and X201. The main draw has always been the keyboard to me

>>60702622
and plan on dual boot RHEL and Windows 7
>>
>I'm too insecure to make decisions for myself and require everything I do to be approved by a bunch of autist spergs from the internet
>>
>>60702584
well almost all people at uni/college use macs so you wouldnt
>>
>>60702681
RHEL blows. if you want a similar experience, just get fedora, otherwise stick with mainstream distros like debian and ubuntu. you're going to have tons of problems down the road with RHEL- it's designed for use with relational databases primarily, not for programming/learning/anything useful
>>
>>60702636
Is newegg a good place to buy them in good reburbished condition? I am looking on eBay and a lot of the listings look suspect. Thanks!
>>
>>60702566
get T60, add the extra 2 GB DDR2 ram (costs $8) and save yourself $80.
>>
>>60702741
The T60 is a lost cause, I need to do actual work. Not just shitpost anon.
>>
>>60702521
Great little machine, still more than powerful enough for comp sci needs. See if you can get one with an IPS panel.
>>
File: laughing_loli.jpg (214KB, 413x686px) Image search: [Google]
laughing_loli.jpg
214KB, 413x686px
>>60702521
>falling for the comp sci meme
>>
>>60702826
How much does a IPS upgrade go for?
>>
>>60702728

>designed for use with relational databases primarily, not for programming/learning/anything useful

This is patently false.
>>
>>60702751
unless you do compiling/render or heavy stuff, which you won't be able to do on any 200$ budget either way.
>>
I installed macOS on one of these cuties, and it runs perfectly, even better than on my macbook (that I will soon resell).
The only inconvenient is I couldn’t flash the BIOS, so I can’t change the WiFi card, and macOS doesn’t recognize the x220’s native WiFi card.
Other than that, it’s very comfy and fast, I personally love it.
>>
>>60702975
How practical is a USB dongle? In terms of Mac OS.
>>
>>60703016
I’m not sure what you mean by USB dongle, do you mean a USB key? (Sorry, English isn’t my native language)

If so, when you plug a USB key, its icon pops up on the desktop, and you can access it by either double-clicking on it, or through the lateral panel in Finder. To eject it, you just have to right-click the desktop icon and click on eject. When you don’t see the icon anymore, it is safe to eject. And ejecting your device is not a thing to neglect when using macOS or GNU/Linux.
The only thing that you might not like (and I personally hate it) is the shitload of hidden files and folders macOS creates on the USB key. They take close to no space at all, but simply them being here pisses me off.
>>
>>60702579
>shit keyboard
No thanks

Me and a mate went X220 and X201 for Uni
I went the 220 and use my mates machine a decent amount, honestly prefer my own, for just a little more you get a better design, no useless modem, tons more support and a Sandy Bridge

Got the clip in the mail for corebooting (hopefully libre by the end of the year) and I'm hoping to FHD mod it when I get the chance.
It's a great machine, highly recommend.
>>
i got one a few months ago. Best decision of my life desu, ditched my desktop for it. I got the tablet version tho. Which is nice when chillin in bed watchin stuff.

Im hoping soon to duel boot it when i can afford another ssd
>>
>>60703302
>le keyboard is bad meme
>>
>>60703105
I mean a Wifi thing for USB
>>
>>60703409
Ah, in that case I never managed to make mine work, but I haven’t put that much efforts in making it work though
>>
>>60702521
If you can live with the abysmal resolution, yes.
Make sure to get one with the IPS panel though.
If you can, get the 9 cell battery and install Gahnou Languks on it for that juicy 10 hours battery life
>>
If its the pefect fit buy it you retard
>>
>telling someone who might be doing actual work on the laptop to get a laptop with a garbage keyboard (mbp)
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.