[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can I leave pc parts I order laying around for a few months?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1496075847445.jpg (330KB, 1052x1052px) Image search: [Google]
1496075847445.jpg
330KB, 1052x1052px
Brokefag building my first computer and I'm going to be ordering parts little by little over a few months. Can I leave things like the motherboard and cpu in my desk cabinet or will they get fucked up somehow?

Sorry for the retarded question couldn't find anything on google and would rather be safe than sorry.
>>
Motherboard is okay to store in youe cabinet but the CPU must be stored in freezing temperature. The most common way is to put ur cpu in a glass of water and store it in your freezer. Whwn you are ready to use it you can melt it in the microwave.
>>
>>60689388
Lol should I put some food coloring in the water to dye the cpu so it will match my motherboard?
>>
>>60689379
yeah it'll be a pain to return if anything doesn't work though
it's easier to deal with retailers but waiting means you have to deal with manufacturers for RMA
>>
>>60689404
Yea why not. Or if you dont own a freezer you can mix the water with salt and put it inside a refrigerator
>>
>>60689379
I get that you're a poorfag, I was too when I built my computer. What you should do is budget yourself a way to buy the components as quickly as you can.

INVEST in a good motherboard and CPU. Those last longer (3-5 years of relevance depending on use and needs) whereas GPUs tend to show their age after 2-3 years, again depending on use and needs.

You - can - leave things in their packaging but its probably best to keep them in a closet or something.

>>60689388
6/10
>>
how would you know if they work or not? might end up passing the period of time when you could return it.
what's the damage if you buy at once? at most maybe 100+/- bucks with a midrange build?
i don't know though, from all my previous builds, the period of time between receiving all the parts was at most a week.
>>
>>60689379
Keep them in the shiny bags they come in. They should be as fine as they are when they're stored forever in warehouses that way. If you're really worried stick a packet of silica gel in the bag.

I'm always super careful with stuff like ram when I buy it new, but then when I acquire used parts they are often stuck together with masking tape etc. and they always work just fine.
>>
>>60689413
Damn maybe I'll just order all the other shit first like keyboard and case and monitors and then just wait and order everythung else at once.
>>
>>60689379
I strongly suggest that you don't buy components one at a time. As others have said, if a component turns out to have a problem you'll likely have a harder time being able to return it.
I get that you're a poorfag, but save your money up until you're ready to buy everything at once. Depending on how long you save up, you may even get to benefit from price drops.
>>
>>60689379
Why the fuck would you be wasting your warranty like that?
Not only that but new parts come out very often, just save up money until you can buy the entire thing in one go.
>>
Not OP, but if I were to buy my parts spread out during a two month period, would it still be a bad idea? I have a plan semi-laid out.

CPU/Motherboard > GPU > Case/PSU > RAM/SSD/HDD
>>
Do layaway or on credit
>>
>>60689379
Save your money and buy it all at once you fucking idiot
>>
File: chassis.jpg (433KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
chassis.jpg
433KB, 1024x768px
>>60689804
Buy the case first, it won't come doa.
>>
>>60689811
Saving money is an incomprehensible concept for poorfags
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.