[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

XP On an x99

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_2695.jpg (55KB, 640x478px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2695.jpg
55KB, 640x478px
Anybody here had any success dual booting with windows xp on modern hardware? I've done some research and noticed a few test bench systems are running xp on 5820k. I'm currently trying to get an installation on my MSI X99 sli plus based system and it's a real pain in the ass. Managed to get a BSOD at the very furthest near the end of installation.
>>
Why not just run XP on a VM?
>>
>>60688157
Bare metal is the new VM
>>
>>60688157
I'd much rather just have an actual OS installation, not to mention DWM forces tripple buffering or v-sync which leads to input lag so VM is awkward. My work requires a lot of precision work. I'm required to have windows 10 for the work I do and it's driving me up the fucking wall not to mention it makes me extremely paranoid. I'd like to have XP offline just for my editing and older games.
>>
>tfw you need a supercomputer to not lag on windows 10
>>
>>60687618
Have you made sure to disable AHCI? Also make sure to install it on a real HDD (2 GB or less), not an SSD.
>>
>>60688275
32gb of ram, i7 5820k. Multiple SSD

>start menu always crashes explorer when I accidentally click on it
>>
>>60688295
Very good point, I forgot XP doesn't support TRIM
>>
>>60688295
>>60688338
2 TB* or less I mean
>>
>>60688209
maybe you could try enabling video acceleration for the VM
also if you can use set up a dedicated machine to run XP why not install Linux on it instead and run XP in a VM and get rid of the DWM trash
>>
>>60687618
>>60688209
Why not use Windows 7?
>>
Why the fuck do so many people cream over XP? It's shit in every way by today's standards, and there is no reason to still run it.
Is it because XP was their first OS and they just can't see how terrible it is because of nostalgia?
>>
>>60688530
Fast, simple and aesthetic
>>
>>60687618
Install on anything (even vm), sysprep image, clone to real drive, make partition active, boot.
Debug all the stuff that's not working afterwards.
Done
>>
>>60688544
>Fast
It may have lower resource usage than Windows 7/10, but it's definitely not faster on hardware that isn't from 2003. Remember, less RAM and CPU usage in idle is not an indicator for performance.
>simple
That's actually mostly true.
>aesthetic
How the fuck is a blue Fisherprice UI with terrible skeumorphic icons and a dog searching for files aesthetic in any way? It may have been in 2003, but definitely not today.
>>
File: 11401545495_3a97070feb_b.jpg (72KB, 480x319px) Image search: [Google]
11401545495_3a97070feb_b.jpg
72KB, 480x319px
>>60688544
> he never used win2k
Why live?
>>
>>60687618
Get an old core2duo machine for next to nothing or nothing even. Why torture yourself?

>>60688604
I've got win2k running in a vm. It's nice to see it run on a modern processor. Ram drive works too.
>>
how has nobody mentioned that xp is a 32 bit OS and the 64 bit version is the biggest piece of horse shit ever created
>>
File: Performance Options.png (50KB, 408x572px) Image search: [Google]
Performance Options.png
50KB, 408x572px
>>60687618
>>60688209
Install 7 and disable desktop composition.
>>
>>60688530
Well, it was the last Windows to have full offline documentation, for what it's worth. With XP you could open the Help and Support Center and read detailed, well-organized documentation on everything from DEP to the utilities in System32. All in one place. Not to mention context sensitive help in nearly every system dialog box. Nowadays pressing F1 just sends you to a web page telling you to Bing it. And then you Bing it and find the documentation is scattered over dozens of Microsoft websites, and much of the information is part of docsets that seem to be for old versions of Windows even though the information is still relevant today. It's like Microsoft decided to fire everyone working on documentation (probably based on some focus group study that showed no one used it). Visual Studio has been similarly degraded, it's almost unbearable waiting (several seconds!) for MSDN to load a page of mostly text.
>>
File: Windows Help and Support.png (63KB, 541x581px) Image search: [Google]
Windows Help and Support.png
63KB, 541x581px
>>60689524
7 has offline help too
>>
>>60689550
It's missing a ton of topics in offline mode. Even something as simple as robocopy just opens up a browser window.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.