[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are the Cisco/Microsoft certs actually worth doing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1495386512418.jpg (105KB, 1027x914px) Image search: [Google]
1495386512418.jpg
105KB, 1027x914px
Are the Cisco/Microsoft certs actually worth doing?
>>
All certs are a scam more or less, especially without the work experience to back it up
>>
>>60685648
If you want them, just put them in your resume and lie. Nobody has ever asked for proof of any of mine, and I guess it's never come up on a background shit. I know the stuff, but fuck if I'll pay hundreds to prove it.
>>
>>60685360
Better you spend your money on a 4yr CompSci/IT degree OP.
>>
>>60685710
An associates is also a good choice if you want to go into IT. It'll get your foot in the door way better than any cert, and many colleges throw in a+ and net+ exams for free. For resident tuition to a lot of community colleges you're looking at ~8k all told - a drop in the bucket spread over a decade, especially with your enhanced income.

Keep in mind that it's a great thing right now, while the economy is going relatively well. For a lot of companies tech support et al is the first thing to get cuts when things head south
>>
>>60685360
As far as certs go, Cisco's are pretty good as far as raising your minimum pay. Same goes with Red Hat's certifications.

For Cisco, it's because they're the only game in town. For Red Hat, it's because their exams are hands-on practicals, so you have to know your shit to pass. Microsoft's can be passed with just rote memorization.

None are a replacement for relevant experience or schooling. Particularly the experience.
>>
>>60685826
8k, good estimate. Not. That's what it costs per semester to go to to my shitty community college.

OP remember you can essentially get paid to go to school as long as your a poorfag or over 25. Pell grants, stipends, in state tuition - all said and done I get paid 12k a semester to go to school.
>>
File: 1429220554483.png (550KB, 300x468px) Image search: [Google]
1429220554483.png
550KB, 300x468px
>>60685648

this
>>
>>60685360
Some recruiters and school districts like them.
>Have AAS IT degree
>Recruiters won't hire me without the cert, despite the degree
go figure.

also listen to thisguy >>60686421
>>
>>60686458
>8k per semester
>community college
bullshit
>>
>>60686458
>8k per semester for community college

lol you got scammed hard you fucking idiot.
>>
>>60685360
>>60685360
YES.
They differentiate you from other applicants.
It is "proof" you know "something".
Many venodors provide discounts to resellers for certified people.
Most contracts (especially government) require certified people.
They show you are a professional.
You normally get more money.
>>
>>60686458
That's not per year, that's the whole associates. Most community colleges are between 100-150 usd/credit hour, and an associates is only 60 credit hours. You do the math.

As you said though there are so many grants, loans, scholarships, etc available that if you're smart about it you can come away with little to no debt at all.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.