[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

researching for a novel - need help with technical details of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: headroom.jpg (11KB, 273x184px) Image search: [Google]
headroom.jpg
11KB, 273x184px
researching for a novel - need help with technical details of a live tv hack (broadcast signal intrusion). If you were going to hack a channel like ESPN during a live telecast, where would you start?
>>
I would start by using cd code

I mean, cd..

No, cd..

cd..

cd ..

ls maybe

cd code

cd ..

fuck this shit
>>
>>60682660
>hack a channel like ESPN
Social engineering. It's always social engineering, anon.
>>
>>60682660
1.find info on frequencies,modulation and encoding schemes used
2.get appropriate transmitter and (can get on alibaba)
3.position antenna so that your signal overpowers the legit one at target receiver

You'd only cover an area that's far enough from the legit transmitter though.

Studios and news companies are usually connected to main transmitter towers via microwave or optic fiber links. Hijacking those is incredibly hard and they'd be cut off in seconds if hijacking is detected.
>>
I'm gonna hope your book is set before 2009, it's practically impossible to use signal intrusion nowadays a-la the Max Headroom incident because of the digital transition, and because of >>60683510
>>
here's a good story about the Captain Midnight hack on hbo. Basically you beam a stronger signal than the broadcast signal.
http://mentalfloss.com/article/75907/when-captain-midnight-hacked-hbo
>>
File: oIagchkO.jpg (32KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
oIagchkO.jpg
32KB, 360x360px
>>60682660
I'd guess you'd have to dig down and find faith
>>
>>60682660
>>60682660
I'd pay someone on the inside. Think Tits Magee in the first Anchorman movie
>>
>>60684277
Captain Midnight still runs a satellite business in florida with a phone number on his website. Hes an actual broadcast intruder who'd probably be happy to talk with you. He even brags about it on his site.

http://macdougallelect.com/bio.html
>>
>>60682660
Some bug/bad configuration in the EAS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Alert_System).
>>
The characters in the book want to pull off the most disruptive hack of their generation. They want to hack ESPN during a big, live college football game between two academic institutions entangled in donations from private corporations. Does this seem too "Hollywood movie"? If so, what are other majorly disruptive hack targeting academic institutions? Another way to phrase the question would be -- what kind of hack would the Max Headroom of 2017 be?
>>
>>60682660
Physically break in to the transmitter and know enough about what you should find in there to have brought compatible gear to replace the signal and security measures with.
>>
>>60684593
Use their own system and infrastructure to distribute slander in the vein of racism and and bigotry. Easiest way to destroy an institution in 'current year'
>>
>>60684593

They made shit loads of money from a dotcom going public, bought the studio it was broadcast from through an arms length company then walked away from the expense afterwards.

Although I suspect you're after an actual technological hack. In which case, with a bit of licence, use biological IoT devices. The IoT element gives the standard bridge into $character's network, the biological element means it decomposes into nothing right after leaving all fingers pointing at him
>>
>>60684593
have you done any research or do you want others to write your book for you, faggot?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.