[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Life sentence for silk road. What do you think /g/? Too harsh?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 5

>Life sentence for silk road.
What do you think /g/? Too harsh?
>>
>silk road

who tf even played that shit game?
runescape for life babyyyy
>>
>>60681874
For the individual? Of course it. What you have to remember is that the silk roads existence was a complete miscarry by the feds, not to mention he was dealing internationally.

He knew what he was getting into.
>>
He could have gotten off easy if he wasn't acting like a drug lord in every sense of the word.
>>
>>60681914
kek
>>60681915
Yeah i guess but life? C'mon.
>>
>>60681874
You mean for the guy who planned on murdering people and who probably already had other people murdered?
>>
>>60681938
He was dealing extremely large amounts of drugs.....even worse he sold the ingredients to make the fucking drugs. He was doing all of this right under everyone's nose in San Francisco of all places. I think they just wanted to make a point, he was the first of his kind and they wanted to make this clear that this isn't going to be a trend.
>>
>>60681960
This. Everybody forgets about this.
>>
No, it's just right, he's caused a lot of damage and he knew perfectly well that he's doing.
>>
>>60681985
>they wanted to make this clear that this isn't going to be a trend.
They didn't do a very good job of it, DNMs are bigger than ever
>>
Literally who?
>>
>>60682011
This is kinda true, theirs big ones out there that are really accessible but not an empire like this guy had.
>>
File: tfw no more cocaina3.jpg (412KB, 691x1024px) Image search: [Google]
tfw no more cocaina3.jpg
412KB, 691x1024px
>>60681874
should've moved to the solomon islands or the seychelles, dumb libertarian mongoloid
>>
>>60681938

He set up deals to have 6 people murdered because he believed they were going to snitch on him. While none of them were actually murdered, I think we can agree that is slightly illegal.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/21/silk-road-founder-held-without-bail
>>
>>60681874
I hate Butters and Libtards, but I must say the trial was a bit strange... how they allowed these sob stories of Silk Road victims was weird. But so was his defense.

>>60681960
There were no murder charges.
>>
He shouldn't have been living in the us
>>
I don't understand what he did that was illegal. It's like death penalty for craigslist because they have prostitutes
>>
>>60682052
>>60681960
>falling for that bs
Brainlets
>>
>>60682111
Selling drugs you dumb fuck.
>>
>>60681874

Anybody got a link explaining how he was found out? I vaguely remember it being due to his own incompetence.
>>
>>60681874
fucker deserved it for shilling his website with a username liked to other accounts he previously used
>>
>>60682126
Did he personally sell drugs? I thought other people did on his site
>>
>>60681874
the average sentence served for someone who commits 1st degree murder in the US is 15 years

silk-road-guy's sentence illustrates that the US legal system is a show trial made to scare people out of online drug trade
>>
>>60681960
he wasn't found guilty of any of those. he still got life. I don't really see how a child molester gets maybe 10 years but this guy gets life for running a website that people sell illegal things on, and selling shrooms.
what he did was bad and he should be in prison for a long time, but I don't think what he did was deserving of a life sentence. not even a single murder would get you life in most circumstances. you have to be a real piece of shit and do a spree killing or something truly henious. or in the white collar case, do something deliberately that ruined countless people's lives, like Madoff.
>>
>>60682207
He was taxing their ass for everything they sold, literally what niggers do on their neighborhoods to weaker niggers with no manpower.
He was profiting off the sales even if he wasn't selling the drugs.
>>
>>60682254
You said he was dealing drugs
>>
>>60682266
i'm not the guy you replied to though
>>
>>60682266
Taking a cut of every sale is very much what a drug lord does.
>>
>>60681874
I don't miss him. I hired a dude to kill a dog and didn't kill it. What downer.
>>
>>60681874
He also hired what he thought were hit men to kill a couple of people
>>
>>60681874
Large scale dealers of opioids or other highly addictive life shortening drugs like this guy should get the death penalty to spare us tax payers the burden of keeping scum locked up for a lifetime with no benefit to us to keep them breathing.
>>
>>60681914
That game was the shit you dumb ass faggot

Iif it only weren't for those damned botters and the sandniggers id still play it
>>
>guy #1 is under investigation for being Dread Pirate Roberts
>his lawyer somehow knows about this and marches to the feds and says it's someone else
>he sets up a conversation with this other guy for the feds
>there's evidence that he set up the site and ran it for a while but not that he was currently in charge other than the conversation that was set up
Ross Ulbricht is almost entirely innocent
>>
>>60682011
No DNM has yet to surpass peak Silk Road.
>>
>>60682228
>I don't really see how a child molester gets maybe 10 years but this guy gets life for running a website that people sell illegal things on, and selling shrooms.

The made him responsible for all the drugs sold on Silk Road. The TONS of drugs gave him > 100 years in prison already. Then a few more things added up and he exceeded the maximum offense level, and that is life.
>>
>>60682309
Should the head of fda get life for allowing fentanyl to be sold too
>>
File: ax081_22a8_9.jpg (140KB, 800x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ax081_22a8_9.jpg
140KB, 800x1024px
Pablito was right.
>>
>>60682280
every online sales site (ie ebay) takes a 'cut', youre using a weak argument to support a sentence with no solid base. the actual reason for his life sentence was that silly entrapment of pretending to kill a guy by showing a pic of a guy laying on the ground with fake blood. people who actually support people getting life to set an example are fishing for a a legitimate reason for this sentence when there clearly is none
>>
>>60681874
I wholeheartedly pray for America to fall.

A true hero.
>>
Think he'll actually serve life? he seems like the kind of guy who'd keep his head down and get out in 10 years tops for good behaviour. Maybe "just" 5.
>>
>>60682045
>>60682324

Except the tor market for drugs is blooming like never before.

There are literally swathes of normies that don't use anything except for snapchat that now can into tor and bitcoin just to buy pure drugs.

Silk Road will remain as a symbol of one of the biggest revolutions in the ways the underground economy works.

If you don't think that's true then you're a fucking lunatic disconnected from reality more than those junkies buying up there.
>>
>fell for the Tesla meme
>shit at tech
>shit at operational security
Quintessentially/g/
>>
>>60682342
So the nigger who has a crack house and knowingly lends it to other niggers so they can sell their dope there in exchange for a cut on all the sales isn't as guilty as the other niggers.....
Life is extreme but 30 years is normal in cases like his, he was such a retard falling for the hitman scam that he actually deserves it though.
>>
>>60682342
yeah, and if ebay or amazon was complicit in selling illegal drugs they'd be justifiably shut down.

maybe think about your arguments for two seconds before making them?
>>
>>60682228
Drugs ruin lives, and he ran the biggest platform for it. It's the same as being a ghetto drug lord but at a much larger scale, so why shouldn't he be treated the same?
>>
>>60682427
What would the charge be? Conspiracy to profit from drugs?

>>60682439
Cia is the biggest cartel in the world but it's ok when gubment does it
>>
>>60682439
>Drugs ruin lives

spot a kiddie

>treating drugs as some mysterious nebula of evil substances
>not having elementary biochemistry knowledge
>still believing in Reagan's War on Drugs meme

wow mate, for future reference, please don't share with us any other exceptional views you hold
>>
>>60682453
Just because the government is bad doesn't mean everyone can do what they want
>>
>>60682453
You're actually retarded.
>>
>>60682342
>the actual reason for his life sentence was that silly entrapment of pretending to kill a guy by showing a pic of a guy laying on the ground with fake blood
why do criminals not ever actually understand what entrapment is?

entrapment requires two things:

1. tricking you into breaking the law simply to arrest you.
2. coercing you into breaking a law that you wouldn't have otherwise broken.
>>
>>60682342
He facilitated the crime, knowing full well that what he is facilitating is a felony. EZPZ
>>
>>60682483
Damn you are mad because you are angry
>>
>>60682495
>your stupid
>no u
>>
>>60682493
where is the evidence? did he actually offer money for a hit? did he explicity say he wanted someone murdered in exchange for money? The online discourse for that should be publicly available
>>
> Afghanistan opium production climbs to historic levels after war
> soldiers still occupy area
> America has terrible opium problem
>>
I'm hesitant to say this, but yes. He facilitated and profited from a revolutionary drug trafficking distribution channel. Greater volume of drugs trafficked, and greater accessibility to consumers at all levels.
>>
>>60682332
He didn't profit from it but was stupid. His job will be enough. The people that sell it and deal death to their fellow man for money. That's the death penalty if you ask me.
>>
>>60682453
>What would the charge be? Conspiracy to profit from drugs?
Conspiracy to sell drugs AND, depending on how much the state could prove, a principal or accomplice to the actual sale of drugs.

>>60682510
>where is the evidence?
I don't know maybe read the full case? If he was tried and convicted in court it would be safe to assume he was found to have broken some laws based on evidence.
>>
>>60682453
>What would the charge be? Conspiracy to profit from drugs?
"Conspiracy to traffic narcotics," which is, coincidentally, what he was charged with.

And no, you don't need to have actually participated in it to be charged with conspiracy. Usually carries the same penalties as the non-conspiracy equivalent, too.
>>
>>60682479
Not xir but shrooms and acid can absolutely fuck you up instantly if something funky happens, and any addictive substance can ruin your life if you fail to exercise proper control. Not saying weed is any worse than whiskey, but both have ruined many lives.
>>
CAN YOU IDIOTS STOP TALKING ABOUT THE MURDER?

The murder had nothing to do with his sentencing. The use of violence added 2 offense levels but in the end he exceeded the maximum offense level by 10 or something so who cares.
>>
>>60682548
Fuck off druggie
>>
>If they could find DPR they could find anyone!!!11!!1

I hate when people perpetuate this meme. The dumb fuck had horrible Opsec and used his real name in the clear net multiple times. All it took was a miniscule bit of old fashioned manual detective work.
>>
>>60682529
You can buy multi ton cargos of pseudo ephedrine from china just like you could buy huge amounts of ether from the US back in the 80s when it was necessary for cocaine production, it doesn't really make a difference honestly.
>>
>>60681874
>Life sentence
>selling drugs

Seriously? Fuck the justice system.
>>
>>60682389
You completely missed my point, holy shit just breath man.
>>
>>60681914
Fish lvl?
>>
Too mild. Using, selling, manufacturing, trafficking of mind altering substances (including coffee and spicy foods) should be punishable by death. Only drug you need is life.
>>
>>60682439
alcohol ruins people's lives and yet brewer's and package stores aren't held liable.
why is this the case with nonviolent drug dealers?
>>
>>60682621
bad post
>>
>>60681874
Wasn't he only convicted of drug trafficking and some financial crimes...?

Yes, that'd be extremely harsh by our standards.
>>
>>60681874
>Life sentence for silk road.
incorrect, life sentence for trying to have someone fucking murdered
>>
>>60682653
t. Caffeine addict
>>
>>60682077
this
>>
>>60682630
>nonviolent
>implying that, because another potentially life ruining substance is allowed, all should be, including worse ones
>>
>>60682596
He was not personally making what he sold, he basically was reseller who was not volume limited.

Think of any other case of illegal activity. Who gets the most harsh sentence? One who benefits the most.
>>
>>60682621
>spicy foods
[sensible chuckle]
>>
>>60682544
>Not saying weed is any worse than whiskey, but both have ruined many lives

>A dose not a substance makes a poison

That's one of the first things you hear on toxicology 101 mate.

And so it goes whether it's alcohol or mushrooms or opiates or even kitchen salt or mineral water.
>>
>>60682439
drug abuse is a societal ill but it isn't as if every person who buys drugs is an abuser. Madoff ruined people's lives by lying to them and stealing their money, it was active deception. nobody was forced to use this website. if anything silk road was less harmful than a typical drug operation because of its nature. how many people die in drug deals gone wrong? with silk road that possibility is greatly reduced because the transactions were mailed and money sent thru BTC. it's still a harm overall but how could you say it's worse than a trap house?
>>
>>60682630
>alcohol ruins people's lives and yet brewer's and package stores aren't held liable.
Alcohol isn't a scheduled drug, dumbass. It's also highly regulated in most states.
>>
>>60682596
drug pushers and all those who allow them to sell drugs deserve the worst treatment possible tbhwy
>>
>>60682301
Maybe if you specified "bitch", then again he might've thought that was you.
>>
>>60682621
these are the kind of "arguments" junkies say to justify their weed habit
>>
>>60682687
it's worse because of its scope. A drug den in the middle of the ghetto had the smallest fraction of deals compared to silk road
he's more comparable to a drug lord overseeing multiple cities worth of supply
>>
>>60682601
Nice
>>
So many mindless boot lickers in this thread
>>
>>60682737
Wasn't it 300k a month?
>>
>>60682711
>Alcohol isn't a scheduled drug

Oh thank god that means it's safe and can't be related to cohorts of addicts! :)

why is /g/ filled with so many illiterate subhuman imbeciles compared to /sci/
>>
>>60682749
t. opiate user
>>
Quick rundown pls
>>
>>60682673
Alcohol is actually worse. by most metrics And it's not just "another".

Sugar is allowed. Cars are allowed. Tobacco is allowed. Firearms are allowed. Knifes are allowed.

All of these and a lot more ruin a lot of lifes, and most are worse offenders than most drugs.

And then really, police and prisons aren't the right way to manage drugs even if you want them managed.
>>
>>60682762
Nope I'm completely drug free
>>
>>60682673
not what i was saying
come back with a real argument any time
>>
>>60682765
It's from 2013
>>>/pol/
>>60682771
Yeah, and the only people who think pot should be legal are people who smoke it.
>>
>>60682770
one rationally thinking poster
>>
>>60682711
>legal status determines health affects
wrong.
>>
>>60682621
t. Mormon
>>
>>60682630
Drug policy in the United States is massively fucked up, you won't find any argument from me there. Thank racism and anti-counterculture attitudes for that.
>>
>>60682770
>moving goalposts
>reddit spacing
>>
>>60682770
people can't handle sugar and you want to give them free access to hard drugs??
>>
>>60682759
>>60682795
See >>60682816
>>
>>60682816
so hard narcotics were made illegal because legislators saw the terrible, violent, chaotic subcultures and assumed the cause was the drugs, and not the people living there?
gotcha
>>
>>60682737
sure, but the propensity for violence is far less regardless of scope. how many people do you think cartels and mafias kill to maintain their operation, overall? dpr might have called out hits on maybe a handful of people, and that's not even certain because the DEA agents investigating him were criminals themselves, and stole money from the operation.

I'm not arguing that he is a saint, he did bad things. I'm just saying that as far as drug kingpins go, he isn't even on the same level of societal harm as someone like El Chapo or Escobar.
>>
>>60682822
No goalpoasts were moved. That's just the reality of this argument.

> reddit spacing
Used this spacing since before Reddit existed. Must be that they were impressed and they all copied me.
>>
File: 1483916662835.jpg (94KB, 639x782px) Image search: [Google]
1483916662835.jpg
94KB, 639x782px
>>60682116
>tfw to smart too fall for it
>>
>>60682816
>Willing break the law
>Muh racism
Man the black privilege is strong
>>
>>60682853
>so hard narcotics were made illegal because legislators saw the terrible, violent, chaotic subcultures and assumed the cause was the drugs, and not the people living there?
No, it was more like "Hey, those people we hate all use drugs. If we make those drugs illegal, then we can arrest those people without having to come up with an actual reason."
>>
>>60681985
He was doing it directly under their nose KEK
>>
>>60682793
I'm not exactly a genius for it, though.

There are so many studies now. And also practical experience with partial (e.g. medicinal use or free "clean" drugs administered by doctors for serious long-term drug addicts that were picked up in a difficult situation a bunch of times) or full legalization of various drugs, or societies that just never criminalized this or that drug.

Making police, judges and prisons crack down on drugs is one of very most stupid options possible.
>>
>>60682415
>So the nigger who has a crack house and knowingly lends it to other niggers so they can sell their dope there in exchange for a cut on all the sales isn't as guilty as the other niggers.....
Exactly.
>>
SELLING ALPACA SOCKS IS NOT A CRIME!
>>
Drugs are degenerate. Anyone actually taking those is a 2-digit IQ retard, dark net or not.
>>
>>60681914
>silkroad was bad

Nostalgia game. Fucking makes me wanna play a private server now.
>>
>>60682315
private servers my nigga.
>>
>>60684024
>this is what 2-digit IQ retards actually believe
>>
>sentence DPR to life to send a message
>3 better markets replaced it

Really makes you think. Other than making an example out of him, he also had a bunch of charges on top of the illegal market operation. He had hacking charges, money laundering, identity fraud, etc. His attempt to hire a hitman charges were however not part of his life sentence, and AFAIK were never prosecuted anyways.
>>
File: 1481052443013.png (795KB, 668x866px) Image search: [Google]
1481052443013.png
795KB, 668x866px
>>60681914
>>
>>60682770
/thread
>>
>>60683185

wrong
>>
>>60681914
would have been a great game if it weren't p2w and if it were programmed by competent developers
>>
>>60684818
Nope.
>>
>>60685138
That's why you play oldschool. Avoid all that p2w bs
>>
>>60684638
Right in the feels
>>
it wasnt for silk road it was for attempting to arrange a hit on someone
>>
This guy got life for not taking a plea deal. Go back and read about his trial. His lawyer was a total fucking joke.

With that said, I support ending the drug war and would like to see this guy end up free one day. He made buying drugs a lot safer and the murder shit was totally made up.
Thread posts: 125
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.