[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

n900

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

File: n900.jpg (32KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
n900.jpg
32KB, 600x450px
It's been a while since I've seen this on /g/.

Devuan release is out and a nokia n900 image is avaible. I grabbed my dusty n900 and gave the image a try. I works! I had to resize the the root partition to fit the whole card size but other than that it's good. How many years have it been since I wished for a propper debian installation for it? Well, it's devuan but close enough. I'm kinda happy now.
>>
>>60679822
now what?
>>
>>60679822
Can you still use it as a phone?
Aside from that what do you intend to do with it? Browsing is probably a pain since the hardwAre specs are so low. I cant imagine carrying it around as a portable ssh terminal considering your phone can do that without the need of an additional device.
Has this brought new life to the device at all aside from the initial excitement?
>>
best way to get out of the botnet?
>>
>>60679862
good question. first I feel pretty good for having a real linux computer in my pocket. that alone is already pretty nice. second, I will do some test on performance and what works with 256mb ram. I pretty much can rule out internet browsers (while a single page of something probably still works), howerver things like chatting or remote terminal stuff is still reasonable. third, still feel good about it. fourth, we'll see.
>>
>>60679933
>phone
since I didn't remove maemo, it still works fine as a phone whenever devuan is on sd or not. I didn't use as my main phone anymore because battery life.

I will have to see how 3g-modem is working out in Devuan. I'm currently loading many packages for a full installation and this will still take an hour or so.
>>
>>60679941
it might not perfectly free but it's quite reasonable botnet free. a lot better than pretty much anything else, I think.
>>
>>60679822
>Devuan release is out and a nokia n900 image is avaible
fuck me, somebody still remembers about it 8 years later. Gotta look for my N900 then. This will officially rank it as a UMPC-tier device instead of a smartphone/tablet. I wanted to do this ever since I bought it.
>>
>>60680133
couldn't you put debain on it back then already?
>>
>>60679984
>rule out internet browsers
elinks, foo.
>>
>>60680158
Not a proper install like this, or at least not to my knowledge.
It was still a decent linux machine with debian-based maemo so I didn't look into this very much.
>>
>>60680133
You sound like you didn't try before so you should be aware you'll need to install uboot first to be able to load something from sdcard.

Not sure if those links still work: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81613
>>
>>60680061
Keep us posted, this is pretty interesting stuff
>>
>>60680213
I messed about with Android before, I'm vaguely aware how to load images with uboot.
At least I was a couple of years ago.
>>
>>60679822
too bad it's useless today, even with community updates
>>
>>60680240
Will do. Not going anywhere for a while.

>>60680284
I think Android had a different approach to load things from card and the uboot version never really worked...

Anyway, I suggest loading the original nokia firmware first and get a factory state of the device. Especially if you messed with android before since that abomination used to mess with maemo installation.
>>
>>60680355
It's without doubt quite limited but I wouldn't call is useless. The hardware keyboad, and 32GB+microSD make it already kinda usefull. The screensize of 800x480 isn't much but it's not that bad also. For terminal stuff it's already luxury, kinda.
>>
>>60679822
>>60680355
>>60680573
http://neo900.org/
>>
>>60680798
that's a scam.
>>
>>60680889
https://neo900.org/news/2016-week-52
>>
>>60680968
>Prototype version 2 Layout
do you have any idea when this "started"? if it's not a obvious scam right there already, those involved must be the most incompetent and stupid people ever involved with embedded linux devices.
>>
>>60680061
I have an 810, didn't know you could remove Maemo. I've been reluctant to use it as much as I want to try running it without firmware blobs. How can I install devuan without maemo? Everything I saw was to run both at once.
>>
>>60681171
you won't get devuan to run on the 810. I feel like I've seen some linux ports like OPIE but I can't find anything after a short search.
>>
File: Droid 4.jpg (196KB, 1000x665px) Image search: [Google]
Droid 4.jpg
196KB, 1000x665px
>three row keyboard
I ditched my N900 for a Droid 4. It runs Android without Google Services, which isn't really the best option, but I can chroot into Linux reasonably well.

It's also much faster,but I miss the 32GB of NAND.
>>
>>60681697
chroot? *pukes a little*
Since you don't seem to care about android, you get just get a more recent smartphone and use a bluetooth keyboard or so. there are a few easy solutions on running some distos on top of android.
>>
>>60681920
No bluetooth keyboard actually matches the convenience of a slide-out keyboard. Or even the quality of the Droid 4's keyboard. It really is pretty good as far as keyboards that size go.

What other methods for running Linux on top of Android that don't involve a chroot are there?
>>
>>60681977
>on top of Android
I can think of a virtual machine like qemu but that's likely even worse in performance, if it even exists. I vaguely remember some recent 64-Bit ARM Socs that have VM support but that might be only server not smartphones.

The whole point of Devuan on n900 is that it runs native, though.
>>
>>60681977
I've seen pictures of slide-out keyboard cases for smartphones.... not sure where I've seen it or what model it was for.
>>
File: th (23).jpg (7KB, 300x192px) Image search: [Google]
th (23).jpg
7KB, 300x192px
Short update on package installation. Had to restart device because my root filesystem went suddenly read only. I don't think that's a devuan bug, more like a sdcard problem. I can also be the magnet in the back lid (sd stops working if backlid is removed). Anyway I resumed where it stopped. Just wanted to let you know.
>>
Good. Now make an image for the old Nokia Internet tablets so I can get rid of the goddamn wireless N bug which is rendering my 770 completely useless.
>>
meanwhile, did someone else give devuan on n900 a try?
>>
>>60683417
I don't have my N900 near me at the time, but I've got Arch Linux ARM (http://os.archlinuxarm.org/os/ArchLinuxARM-armv7-latest.tar.gz) to boot with a recent kernel with N900 patches (https://github.com/pali/linux-n900).

cf. http://elinux.org/N900 for building the kernel
>>
>>60684000
PS: the only thing i can't get to work is OpenGL support of the goddamn PowerVR GPU.
>>
>>60684015
from what I remember there is no opengl support. at most GLES some kind of old version.

video accerelation (mainline kernel) should work without 3D.
>>
>>60684015
>>60684201
oh! there was some development eh? at least that's what I just found out.
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-ti/tree/recipes-graphics/libgles/ti-sgx-ddk-um_1.14.3699939.bb
https://git.ti.com/graphics/omap5-sgx-ddk-um-linux/trees/master

so wayland might work on n900. cool.
>>
File: hc131626360634.jpg (59KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
hc131626360634.jpg
59KB, 800x600px
>>60682322
still on it. two more sdcard failures. but now it's only about 40mb left on packages from initially 581mb.
>>
File: Nokia-N900-Review-10.jpg (74KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
Nokia-N900-Review-10.jpg
74KB, 600x800px
>>60684993
got it. installed full blown mate-desktop and it's running freaking fast. Sadly the touchscreen is inverted and I can't reach the start menu to do much. This shouldn't be difficult to fix but I have to look for the solution. Once I fixed this, I'll post a screenshot.
>>
soon
>>
File: Screenshot.png (39KB, 800x480px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot.png
39KB, 800x480px
>>60685641
Okay...
Here is it. After Touchscreen I had to fix Keyboard, too (for Desktop). As you can see the Battery Indicatior is red but it's actually zero as it's not reported proberly (don't know the fix for this).

After playing with it a bit, it still faster than expected. It's usable even with a full blown Desktop with no optimizations done. Meaning you could do Office on this thing. Browsing the Web with Firefox doesn't work... well, it loads pages after some time but everthing starts to lag because it's out of ram. Loading 4chan works but not posting as captcha won't load. Wifi works but that worked right away with the devuan image. I didn't test 3G, as the thread would be long gone before that got any results.

All in all it's still good, I can use this.
>>
>>60687050
wierd, the batter indicator is actually gone in the screenshot
>>
>>60680189
Elinks, the the text browser.
http://elinks.or.cz/
>>
>>60687050
Sweet man. Have you tried Dillo? That's a browser that should work. Kind of shitty but its graphical and worth a shot.
>>
>>60688681
good idea. I'll give it a try.
>>
File: Screenshot-1.png (64KB, 800x480px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot-1.png
64KB, 800x480px
>>60688681
>>60690326
it works rather well. still can't get through captcha with this but this just expanded the usabilliy of the n900 a lot. it's fast and isn't heavy on ressources. good!
>>
turned my one into a pipboy
also these can do packet injection ...apparently
i did try to get some pentesting shit going on but couldnt quite get it fully working

fuck sake op... you got me thinking about buying another one, and finish what i started
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.