[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did Canonical give up on Unity?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

File: 1496193548272.jpg (37KB, 570x570px) Image search: [Google]
1496193548272.jpg
37KB, 570x570px
Why did Canonical give up on Unity?
>>
>>60676365
Because nobody liked it and they tried forcing everyone to use it.
>>
>>60676365
Touchscreen interface for people who don't use touchscreens
>>
because the whole point of Unity was to trojan horse zeitgeist-daemon into people's machines to gather user statistics. Now they're done with that level of analytics.
>>
Looking at it should be enough to understand why
>>
>>60676365
for the same reason they gave up on mir, upstart, etc
it's pure shit
>>
>>60676365
Bullying.
>>
Because it required a fucking money that they didn't have
>>
>>60676849
Most FOSS is made without huge influxes of money
>>
>>60676365

The whole point of Unity was convergence between phones and tablets. The phone market for Ubuntu never took off, people were far more into Android, which continues to gain popularity.

After a while it become clear that Unity would never succeed in delivering convergence so they abandoned it to stop wasting money, gave Ubuntu over to GNOME who they'd been at loggerheads with for years and are now looking for investors.

Before long Canonical will be sold and Ubuntu will be all the better for it by 18.04.

Though 18.04 will alienate a lot of new users who will find GNOME very confusing. So it's a step forward and half a step back.
>>
>>60677042
>new users who find GNOME very confusing

I'm having a hard time seeing this though, it seems pretty straight forward - the only big difference cosmetic function from winblows is the Alt+Click and that can be changed
>>
The day after tax season
It was a waste of money for something not very liked - so it was cut
>>
>>60677090

I hear people say this. For Linux users it's pretty intuitive, yes. But for people moving straight from Windows it is very different, I think. Certainly in my case, initially, I could not get my head around it when I moved from W7 to a GNOME DE. Unity was way more comfortable. Maybe it's different for others.

Having said this I now use GNOME in Debian, but I had to care to take the time to learn it.
>>
>>60676420
That will be the same with Gnome if they don't fix it with addons.
>>60676651
hurrdurr
>>
>>60677090
Used GNOME in 2008 and gave up on gnu/linux. It was not intuitive anon.
>>
>>60676429
Yeah, it's not like Xubuntu, Ubuntu Gnome, Kubuntu, etc. also have zeitgeist. It has nothing to do with the DE
>>
>>60677250
I don't remember to having zeitgeist on xubuntu.
>>
Because it was shit
>>
Unity 8 had a huge amount of dev time done on it just before they dropped it and was looking pretty good. The problem is Canonical, they start a project, it goes nowhere, little gets done. Does not listen to the community on how it can be improved. Then there is a burst of dev, something good looks like it's going to come out of it, then Shuttleworth says, "Na, lets do something else."
>>
>>60677421

So we can summarise the entire argument by saying "Shuttleworth is a dick?"
>>
>>60677437
Kinda. Especially after how he fired some employee of Canonical.
>>
>>60677480

but that is normal when a company is losing cash. I think there is a lot behind the scenes we don't know, but from when I can glean, yes, he was being a cock. Unless you mean the way he did it, dunno.
>>
Just like Solaris gave up on the Desktop so should Linux. Canonical is focusing on ubuntu in the cloud.
>>
Canonical should just adopt and invest into KDE.
Gnome is controlled (and held back) by Redhat. They don't care about end users
>>
>>60677673
[spoiler] w-what's wrong with redhat
>>
better question is why use ubuntu outside of a business (even then there's better systems)?
>>
>>60676365
Redhat paid them off.
>>
>>60678018
>>60677673
whats with all the anti redhat people lately? their argument is always redhat works with the nsa, but theyre not prism and their os is still fully open source.
>>
>>60677754
>>60678090

Nothing against RedHat but the fact that they don't care about user-friendly features like high-dpi scaling. Gnome is targeted to entreprise users and people here are not the target audience.
>>
>>60678160
well yeah, redhat only provides industry support, fedora is community driven and cen is redhat without support. gnome isnt developed by redhat either. isnt dpi dependant on the wm? just using the cinnamon fork maybe, i know muffin does alright dpi
>>
>>60678160
>Gnome is targeted to entreprise users
>doesn't even have a fucking windowlist/taskbar by default
yeah, no
gnome is a mess targeted at a nonexistant group of linux users
>>
>>60677673
What pissed me off about this whole thing is that Unity 8 was going to use QT and KDE libs. They did a large blog post detailing why the move was necessary and it would allow them to do the improvements Unity needed. As GTK and Gnome had many issues that were not being addressed. They basically said gnome was shit, Cinnamon and Budgie devs have said the same. Then they said, "Hey lets use gnome"
>>
>>60678090
It's the fact that GNU/Linux is becoming more and more overengineered and (in a way) bloated.
It feels a little uneasy seeing that more and more parts are being locked behind black boxes that are out of the user's or the distro maintainers control (systemd, wayland, gnome, etc).
Since Red Hat is the one behind this increase in complexity many are sceptical towards them and rightly so.

>>60678204
I read in phoronix that gnome is about to implement non-integer scaling for hidpi.
But that's just another way how overly complex Gnome is putting GNU/Linux under Red Hat's control.

Sometimes I want to strip systemd from Debian, replace it with runit (or openrc but runit looks better), remove lightdm (which forces X to run as root) and just use startx with openbox and dmenu. What more do you need in a desktop?
>>
>>60678356
>Then they said, "Hey lets use gnome"
what they really meant is
>Hey let's not care about the desktop at all and start working on things that are profitable
>>
>>60676365
Canonical is on a mission to embarrass Linux as much as possible, making sure it's never a viable alternative to Windows.

There was a high chance people started migrating to Linux this year or the next, so they made sure the most "user firendly" Linux option is an impenetrable buggy clusterfuck as it happens.
>>
Unity was a bloated piece of shit that was pretty much about aesthetics.

Think about why Arch and Gentoo are getting to be pretty popular right now.
>>
>GNOME is shit
>KDE is bloated shit
>Unity wasn't bloated or shit but is ded

Looks like I'm finally gonna get i3 working
>>
>>60678482
>KDE is bloated shit
no
>>
File: image.jpg (71KB, 926x650px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71KB, 926x650px
>>60678429
I generally just tell people to get an ubuntu knockoff for their computer if they're unsure. Lubuntu worked right off the disk for me, and Porteus/Puppy Linux require you to be retarded to fail at using.

>>60678482
I tried getting compiz to work as a standalone before I eventually said fuck it and just went to i3, don't regret it onebit. If unsure and you need mouse clicks for your desktop just use awesome.
>>
>>60677250
I don't see zeitgeist on my machine
>>
>>60676429
but the data isn't uploaded
it collects stuff you do with the primary intent of letting you search through your recently viewed folders and similar stuff
>>
>>60678356
Why not switching directly to KDE as the main desktop at this point if you don't want to maintain your own DE? It's even more intuitive for Winfugees.
>>
>>60678482
They're all bloated AND shit, get your facts straight.
KDE is the better one
>>
>>60678538
There was a command to search for it on /g/ some years back. I cant remember it
>>
>>60677673
kys kde shill
>>
Because like the rest of Linux development, it's a clusterfuck of too many people with their hands in the pot because muh freedom
>>
>>60678713
Sure it isn't. Linux is as much of a botnet as Windows, if not more so
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.