[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Radeon Pro Mobile

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: wew lad.jpg (504KB, 2022x1764px) Image search: [Google]
wew lad.jpg
504KB, 2022x1764px
Why does only Apple uses this GPU? It's a 35W decent graphics chip, why wouldn't anyone else want it?

Did AMD make a GPU just for Apple?
>>
link: http://creators.radeon.com/radeon-pro/
>>
>>60670252
It's not "decent", nvidia's offerings shit all over it (at this power envelope), and if a PC maker puts a discrete chip in there they want high performance, otherwise there's no point.

But apple hates nvidia and also they buy the cheapest stuff around. They just needed something that could handle more external displays.

Reminder that last year they were putting graphics chips from 2012 in their mc pros (fucking cape verde xt, the very same chip that was in the radeon hd 7770) that would otherwise go to the trash at that point. They probably got them for free.
>>
>>60670252
>nvidia's offerings shit all over it (at this power envelope)

The closest nVidia comes to the Radeon Pro in term of power envelope is the 1050M, which is still nearly double the TDP, and the Radeon still beats it in raw performance.
>>
>>60671016
Why does Apple hate Nvidia?
>>
File: 1050pow.png (5KB, 543x157px) Image search: [Google]
1050pow.png
5KB, 543x157px
>>60671432
The 1050 (not Ti) is 25-33% faster depending on the game, which makes sense given that they're matched in "rated flops" and nvidia does better with the same.

About power, 35W is the rated TDP, how much it adheres to that is another question. Nvidia does not say anything about the 1050, but it's on chassis that handled ~40W GPUs before. I found pic related but it's difficult to interpret what they mean with avg/max. This is with a 45W CPU running prime+furmark, so my guess is the GPU can't be doing much more than 40W.

The AMD has a slightly smaller die and less transistors, so there's that. It's probably significantly cheaper.

But yeah, it's pretty competitive. Maybe they can't make enough of them. AMD's mobile offerings are a tragedy right now, they don't even have anything based on the 480, which would come close to the 1060 (they demoed that in the press conference today, but that fucking chip has been in the marked a year already). It's as if they loathe profits.
>>
>>60671586
Nvidia doesn't bend over enough.

Also they were hit by that soldering fiasco with the 8xxx series chips.

I think they had some lawsuits too?

Bus mostly the 1st. Apple always goes for the lowest bidder.
>>
>>60671656
Wtf but they always demand the highest end in their products for quality how bad did Nvidia fuck up
>>
>>60671670
They fucked up so bad Nvidia had their investor relations guy lie to investors
>>
>>60671642
they literally launched their mobile versions yesterday based on 580..
>>
>>60671656
you mean there is a company that will always go for the highest bidder?
LOL
>>
>>60671792
Isn't that illegal?
>>
>>60671856
So about one year late? It has been several years since they've had a non-APU laptop lineup (that is not 100% rebrands). And mobile seems more profitable than desktop.
>>
>>60671432
The 1050M doesnt exist idiot
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.