[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FOSS PRODUCTIVITY APPLICATIONS ARE SHITE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Adobe_CS5.5_Product_Logos.png (94KB, 413x241px) Image search: [Google]
Adobe_CS5.5_Product_Logos.png
94KB, 413x241px
Has there ever been an effort to streamline productivity software on linux and for open source in general?

As it is now, the GUIs all look completely different, the fucking shortcuts are all over the place with very little consistency, file formats are mostly incompatible ... why is there so little cooperation between the devs of the big productivity software projects like gimp, scribus, krita, blender inkscape etc... ? It seems like such an obvious and mutually beneficial thing to do; both for the developers and for the end users.

I feel like on linux there's two types of quality software - the big projects that make up the system and it's core components, which are usually looked after by big ass companies who contribute because they use linux themselves; and then there's small, single-focus projects like transmission which are great because the makers are passionate about what they do and it's a labour of love.

All the larger projects that would need a certain level of organisation and professionalism are mediocre at best and used only by people who decidedly want an open source solution, or people who cant afford the real deal, like schools or small companies who are perpetually broke/struggling financially. If someone caring only about usability and productivity was given the choice between, for example, gimp and photoshop, they'd go with photoshop 9 out of 10 times.

It's ridiculous how foss people who pride themselves in their sense of community and cooperation are actually completely fucking incapable of establishing actual high level collaborative projects and efforts of standardisation are always doomed to fail because sure enough for every motivated, willing foss dev there's a dozen autists will flip their shit and fork the ever living jesus out of it.
>>
I'm a shy anime girl.
>>
I WROTE A FUKEN COMPILER
>>
>>60666224
owo
>>
>foss
>productive
>>
The freedom of FOSS allows develops to do as they wish, enjoy programming, and not have to pander to illiterate normalfags (GUIs - what a joke) nor sell a product.
>If someone caring only about usability and productivity was given the choice between, for example, gimp and photoshop, they'd go with photoshop 9 out of 10 times
Is there any empirical proof than that GIMP is any less usable for the majority of needs? Because it seems the only people claiming PS is superior is those that have put many hours into learning PS, then complain that GIMP is not PS (GIMP never touted itself as a PS clone to begin with), and put zero effort into learning GIMP. Of course GIMP is unusable if you don't bother to learn it, and compare it to a difference program.
>>
>>60666274
NOBODY NEEDS YOUR FUCKEN COMPILER SHOVE IT UP YOUR BUTT
>>
>>60666301
SHUT UP CIA NIGGER REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
I think at least part of the issue is that you need a better UI to make the program easier to learn, whereas a lot of the cluster fuck UIs may be harder to learn, but they're potentially better once they've been mastered, and some of the autists who are making these programs are the type that(especially given that they're making these programs) don't need the pretty UI to learn how to use and master a program. They're programming for themselves, rather than the general public, and the UI suffers for it.
>>
>>60666218
It's mainly because more effort is taken into improving the backend than anything else. The programs you are talking about are pretty much standalone and integrate a lot of necessary dependencies together so it becomes quite a hairy mess, and anyone who's maintained any codebase knows that. Linux has excelled in the scientific world (e.g. GROMACS, Code_Aster, MOOSE, CP2K, etc.) because the development is centered around few core libraries and message passing interfaces. In the world of image, video, etc. editing, there are no standards developed to aid those whom are squarely developers in streamlining a usable program. Because of this they are much more consumed in developing features either from scratch or by pulling in thousands of dependencies, maintainance is pretty atrocious and is always in need of constant overhaul. It's more necessary that these programs rely on more standardized routines and what with openimageio, imagemagick, the situation will rapidly improve.
>>
>>60666294
>i need my software complicated as fuck because it gives me a sense of meaning in life
fuck off

>>60666335
first of if someone's "programming for themselves" that's fine by me, perfectly understandable. but large projects clearly trying to create a useful application for the general public (and presenting themselves in such a way) should try to unfuck their GUIs. it's ridiculous to have years of effort put into these programs yet they end up shit because noone ever makes an effort to think about usability
>a lot of the cluster fuck UIs may be harder to learn, but they're potentially better once they've been mastered
i'd generally disagree with that, it seems like a meme to me. look at the PS interface for example, it's very sober and not ornamental or eye candy-ish at all.

>>60666425
that makes a lot of sense, thanks. sure hope it does improve, really the only thing keeping me stuck on windows. i hate adobe as a company, but it's hard to avoid CS/CC when you need professional graphics software
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.