[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can one of you explain to me why anyone would choose a Linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 19

File: 1444835774tux.jpg (23KB, 400x436px) Image search: [Google]
1444835774tux.jpg
23KB, 400x436px
Can one of you explain to me why anyone would choose a Linux Distro OS as a primary OS over OSX or Windows.

I mean unless you're a software developer or you're paranoid Win or Apple are spying on you I can't understand the appeal behind it.

Inb4 bait, not bait, I really want to know what advantages any Linux distros (aside from distros designed soley for purposes like pen-testing etc) over Windows or Mac...
>>
customization for one
>>
>>60665809
workflow
I use Awesome, vim, mutt, qutebrowser and ranger. All I need.
>>
>>60665809
"paranoid"
it's not paranoia dipshit read the fucking eula lol

other than that, everything i do on each individual computer is conveniently scripted and the environment for those devices is suited toward it's specific use case

also sick screenshots
>>
File: 1496120991683.gif (199KB, 336x468px) Image search: [Google]
1496120991683.gif
199KB, 336x468px
Its actually SOOOO much easier on your system as well. Most distros are pretty slim, and dont take up so much system resources likw windows or OSX does. I use both Win 10 and Arhc Linux, I main my arch drive and honestly I love it. So much control, so much creativity involved
>>
>>60665853
>not using meme arrows to quote
is this a new meme or are you just a newfag?
>>
>>60665866
>>>/here/
>>>/is/
>>>/your/
>">"
>>
>>60665866
you don't deserve those dubs
>>
>>60665809
no viruses
ultra stable
top notch documentation
easiest to install software
easiest to update system
has drivers for everything thats not a faggot
efficient use of resources
can customize easily and extensively

i, personally, can not understand how people use mac or windows; unless of course they need specific software that lacks worthwhile alternatives on Linux.

A few examples; I have not found anything as good as AutoCAD for Linux. I also have not found anything as good as Fruity Loops for Linux. As far as games I am happy with what is available for Linux, but I understand if there are specific games you want to play that arent available for Linux

I dont mind closed source software, especially games. But the operating system itself should not be closed sourse; thats just dumb
>>
>>60665809
Runs faster, it's free as in freedom, in 2017 most of the annoyances are gone (unless you're one of those fags re-posting old problems)
>>
>>60665809
Mac OSX and Microsft windows don't respect your freedom. https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.en.html
>>
>>60665809
>Paranoid
They literally tell you that they're spying on you nowdays right in the EULA. Your a fucking idiot if you think windows and mac OS aren't spyware. Any proprietary software you use if going to spy on you because it makes the company more money.
>>
>>60665882
please don't perpetuate the no viruses meme you'll make people think they can be idiots if only they use linux
if you're an idiot with your computer you'll get fucked no matter what OS you use
>>
>>60665809
Because Windows is worthless for everything except gaming and I don't game, and I can't afford a mac
>>
>>60665809
It's light on resource usage, it has an amazing amount of networking tools, and it's fairly easy to understand. I've got dedicated Windows and Mac OS machines and 6 Linux machines. I only fire up Windows for games and updates and the Mac pretty much only gets turned on for updates ( which are relatively rare). Linux is just more fun to use, imho.
>>
>>60665916
He's kinda right though, it's very unlikely to get one
>>
>>60665809
If i see someone say linux is only good for software developers one more fucking time
>>
>>60665953
you probably believe viruses are few and far between because of the low usage numbers make linux an unattractive target

this is a meme

most of the servers in the world run linux

linux is an attractive target especially because people are idiots with it because they think this
>>
>>60665985
stop being gay faggot. just because you get a new virus every day on Windows doesn't mean everyone else does on different platforms.
>>
>>60665953
This, and I'd like to add that you can set up your firewall on your Linux server to filter whatever Windows executables you want.Kind of a pre-filter for whatever garbage you pirate and serve to your Wangdows shitbox.
>>
>>60665882
Bitwig Studio is a pretty good alternative for FL studio, the only bad thing was setting up JACK or ALSA, and having to switch between those and pulseaudio
>>
Can anyone explain why Linux would be better for software development / programming? I feel like Windows & OS X already has the tools / workflow you would want.
>>
>>60665809
>he said it isn't bait so it must not be bait
>>
>>60665985
it is an unattractive target though, since most of the users are very informed; it's a big list of reasons why it's highly unlikely to get malware, which doesn't mean it's impossible, plenty of capable people doing harm to everyone
>>
>>60665809
A couple alternative reasons one might use it:
>not being part of the "botnet" (this is the cloud generation, you already lost privacy-wise)
>free, as in beer, and pizza
>peer pressure from anons here
>ricing by taking features away until an arch linux logo remains
>good desktop environments to show cheesecake anime girls
>lightweight
>old pc for obsolete hardware, don't need much to browse 4chan and run linux
>to fit in the /g/ circlejerk. Linux is preferred over windows and mac os x here.
>attention whoring
>low amount of viruses because of 1% desktop market share, still open to exploits though, especially the browser
>servers, great for websites, databases, seedbox, and other uses
>most likely it's part of your phone

Give it a try on a live cd if you want, so your current os is kept.
>>
>>60665853
>>>>>/r/linux
fucking summerfag
>>
>>60666063
>I feel like Windows & OS X already has the tools / workflow you would want.
>Preconfigured workflow =good
No.
It's mah Linux, I'll do what I want.
>>
>>60665818
This
Also lots of free software
>>
>muh freedom
/thread
>>
>>60666004
actually i'm a linux user for a long time, i'm just tired of people thinking they can use it as an excuse to be stupid with their security habits

>>60666075
that's not really the point, the point is simply that you can't be stupid in any operating system because none are immune to vulnerability
>>
>>60666118
Windows, Mac, and Linux distros are all fine for developing. I had productive experiences on all three and still use shit from all three. Some OSes are better for specific tasks. If you program, you shouldn't stick to one operating system.
>>
>>60665809
>Dark themes
>>
>>60665985
Linux users rarely install software outside of their package managers

The software in official repositories is well audited

Windows seems to be able to get viruses just by loading web pages or opening office documents

Linux doesnt seem to get viruses simply from loading web pages

On Linux, you can go to the most virus infested sites worry free, and as long as you dont go downloading and executing random executables, you are nearly guaranteed to be fine
>>
>>60666116
>>60665866
stop samefagging
you're not special for using the 4cham dot net website
>>
>>60666056
>Bitwig Studio
awesome, thanks for the suggestion. downloading the demo now...
>>
>>60665809
>Can one of you explain to me why anyone would choose a Linux Distro OS as a primary OS over OSX or Windows.

There really isn't. Anything you can accomplish with Linux you can accomplish with Windows. If you REALLY need Linux for stuff like web development, a virtual machine works just fine without having to blow away your Windows install, while the opposite isn't quite true.
>>
File: 1494464778718.jpg (112KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1494464778718.jpg
112KB, 500x500px
Install gentoo and see for yourself. It's the quintessential Linux experience.

Takes a while to setup initially, but once you're done, you have a system that has been compiled specifically for your processor and hardware. No two gentoo installs are the same. The end result is a system that you planned out, built for yourself, completed, and took control of. It is a system that is truly your own.

There's really nothing quite like it. There's Linux From Scratch, but that's more tedious than it is fun. Anyone who enjoys having hobbies and projects to work on, likes tech, and wants a system that is truly THEIRS, should definitely try gentoo. It's actually fun to plan out how you're going to build your system and carry it out, and when you have the final product it's so satisfying. Definitely an enjoyable experience. Gentoo is literally the best operating system on the planet.
>>
>>60665809

Before I start I will say that this does not apply to gaming. Yes there are thousands of Linux games but many of the big games do not run on Linux. So, the gaming argument out the way, there are some other reasons.

It ultimately comes down to what's most important to you as a user. But for me it's Privacy, Performance and Pedagogy.

For me, I wouldn't call it paranoia that MS or Apple are spying - they are and it's been proven. That's one reason. You computer is not yours if you are running MS or Apple products.

Another is that it's swifter and more beautiful to use a Linux system. It's fast, it's clean, it doesn't get slower over time. It performs excellently, it doesn't nag you to update software. You are in control. Most of the time you will not have to restart when applying updates since everything is done at kernel level. It's constantly smooth.

Also, if you have in interest in computing it's great, Linux is very good at prompting you [in some cases forcing you] to learn things, often at a command-line level. I run Debian and it's a nice balance between learning things and getting them done quickly. However there is a learning curve, and you have to care enough to spend the time to learn and get the hard stuff out the way first. That can take a little time. But if it matters to you enough, you will. If you want to go bleeding edge, there are distros for you, but if you want rock solid stability for productivity, you have those distros also.

However, if you only want to use your computer as a tool and don't care about privacy, or learning about open source, if you don't mind about the lack of ethics the big companies have and would rather 'get things done' that's absolutely fine. But bear in mind that you CAN have it both ways - you can have privacy and productivity - you just have to take the time to learn, and this is where a lot of people fall, at the first hurdle.
>>
>>60666309
you let closed-source non-free software have direct contact with your hardware. youre a moron
>>
>>60666208
Mac and Linux, yes, I could see someone choosing them for programming. Windows though? Ughh. It hurts.
>>
>>60666309
>Anything you can accomplish with Linux you can accomplish with Windows.
How do you get rid of the shitty UI then? Windows 10 is fucking ugly. And the start menu is a shitty relic from the 90's. They were making good progress by trying to experiment and change things up, but their little faggot baby duck users threw a hissy fit so they won't ever try to change anything for the better ever again.
>>
>>60666375
by this I am of course referring to Windows 8. Wasn't perfect but it showed they were willing to try new things.
>>
>>60666324
OP, don't listen to this idiot. Gentoo is a meme and its users are fucking idiots.

https://fun.irq.dk/funroll-loops.org/
>>
>>60665882
Windows
>Great driver support from manufacter
>Great battery life
>Windows 10 hybernation boot is great so with SSD you can start to work for 3 seconds
>Every program in this world is compatible with windows 10
>Environment and file manager is superior than any linux DE ever existed and windows looks polished
>If you are into programming you can program everything in GUI instead autist, think he is special if he write code in terminal and try to compile
>You have great program instead of foss alternative that sucks dicks

I use linux and study linux, I find linux only good in VM if you need to get some shit done from there.
>>
File: 1476997547628.png (60KB, 1024x750px) Image search: [Google]
1476997547628.png
60KB, 1024x750px
>>60665809

This is a series of bait threads.

DO NOT RESPOND.

DO NOT FEED THEM.

Just hide and move on.

Rule six:

>The quality of posts is extremely important to this community. Contributors are encouraged to provide high-quality images and informative comments.
>>
File: 1495866216393.jpg (41KB, 720x792px) Image search: [Google]
1495866216393.jpg
41KB, 720x792px
>>60665809
>unless you're a software developer

Most of us are
>>
>>60665809
I use OS X on my desktop and Linux on my thinkpad I would use OS X on my thinkpad but intel graphics dont work so well and I didn't even bother getting the audio working. Windows is just old ass shit it sucks.
>>
>>60665809
I installed eOS on my mother's laptop.

No more worrying about viruses or toolbars.

No more mysterious pop-ups that make her freak out.

No more files lost in the C:\ drive.

She knows all her shit is in her home folder and her home folder only.

Considering all she does is facebook, youtube, netflix, spotify, word processing and storing media (videos and images), gunu/loonix was the best option.
>>
>>60666399
>>If you are into programming you can program everything in GUI instead autist, think he is special if he write code in terminal and try to compile
Whaaaaaat? Linux has an overwhelming selection of text editors and IDE's. Most people don't use the actual terminal, dingus.
>>
>>60666441
Windows too and do linux have VS Studio or R-Studio?

Stop lying yourself, linux lack a lot of programs for most programmers and that is why most them are using windows or macos.
>>
>>60665809
> I can't understand the appeal behind it.
Let's start from this end: You understand that this is the OS kernel underneath almost all smartphones and the OS running well over half the internet, stock markets, the majority of smart appliances and so on right?

The OS is overall is rock solid, versatile, free - and yes, apparently even fortune 500 companies care about freedom on some level, at least they do like that they're not putting themselves under another company's control or need to pay them money at regular intervals quite so easily.

> paranoid Win or Apple are spying on you
That's not really paranoia.

They do have data collection mechanisms and you gave them permission to very widely use this and the collected data in EULAs, privacy agreement and so on. A good bit of that will even hold in court.

You can guess how much damage this may do to you in various ways. Maybe they'll not hold you hostage over you cheating on your GF, sure, but they may just figure out that you're willing to pay $10 extra if you can run virtualization or Steam or have user policies, and make that an exclusive feature of version xy of Windows or OSX. Among other possibilities.
>>
>>60665809
I prefer the work flow and developing software on Linux. It gets out of the way and lets me work. It's also less general bullshit than Windows or OSX in my experience.
>>
>>60666388
>everything I don't use and am unfamiliar with is a meme
end your fucking life, wintoddler
>>
>>60666358
not the other guy but you're a retard

you think letting closed-source non-free software have direct contact with your closed-source non-free hardware is bad?

your closed-source non-free hardware is full of backdoors and exploits and there is fuckall you can do about it
>>
>>60666468
>VS Studio or R-Studio
Yeah, and those are as large as my entire Linux installation and use twice the resources. I'm missing nothing without these.
>>
Linux has better driver support than Windows. Drivers for everything are included in the kernel, while Windows you have to constantly download and update your drivers.

>Great battery life
Linux, when properly set-up, gets better battery life than Windows. This is due to the fact that it can use much less resources than Windows

>Windows 10 hybernation boot is great so with SSD you can start to work for 3 seconds
I dont find this impressive at all. I have Linux machines that boot from GRUB to login in a little over 3 seconds

Then install Windows 10 in a VM

>Environment and file manager is superior than any linux DE ever existed and windows looks polished
You cant be serious

>If you are into programming you can program everything in GUI instead autist, think he is special if he write code in terminal and try to compile
Now I know youre not serious

>You have great program instead of foss alternative that sucks dicks
yea it sucks using software thats supported forever, that doesnt pester you to upgrade to pro versions, etc.
>>
>>60665917
Technically windows sucks at gaming too, purely on a OS level, you get higher fps on linux then on windows, and you get even higher fps on BSD then on linux, believe it or not
>>
>>60666468
>half to launch a bloaty IDE just to compile your code
>cmd isn't nearly as convenient as a proper *nix toolset
>windows 10 bash system still isn't all there yet
nope. I need a proper *nix environment, I refuse to work in a half-assed environment like Windows where consumers are the target market and developers are just an afterthought.
>>
>>60666537
I do believe it, it's just that a lot of the games don't work well with Wine.
>>
>>60666063
Believe it or not, because there's a huge trend towards cloud/containerization, literally all of the software I write at work is deployed to Linux machines anyway. I can do in on Windows but cygwin is a massive pain in the ass and I'd personally rather just do it natively in Linux.
>>
Linux is just all around better.
>>
>>60666468
> VS Studio
Guess whether people on Linux will tend to want to develop for a .NET essentially-Windows-only-stack-in-Microsofts-walled-garden. Which is what the speciality of this is.

Just about every other stack is perfectly covered with IDE on Linux. I guess there's also some tools for Mono, but I myself can't take .NET shit serious at all.
Honestly, neither can most companies - corporate open sauce is usually JVM-based when they have actual free choice what to pick and almost never .NET.

> R-Studio
Yea, of course it has that. You could have looked it up.
>>
File: 78387.jpg (31KB, 384x475px) Image search: [Google]
78387.jpg
31KB, 384x475px
>>60666592
/thread
>>
File: 2017-05-30-173634_605x425_scrot.png (69KB, 605x425px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-30-173634_605x425_scrot.png
69KB, 605x425px
>>60666510
>>
>>60666538
See your only agrument is how you don't feel comfortable with windows.

VS Studio for me is not bloated and I do that shit with my chinkpad from 2011.
Linux can too be bloated with KDE, Gnome and Unity and don't tell me that you use XFCE or WM, these sucks dicks for consumers and even for programmers who don't want to waste their time with old non feature garbage l33t h4ck3r shit.

People who need shit done they will use windows or macOS and that is fact.
There is a lot tools for programmers and IT in Windows and macOS.
>>
>>60665866
the question is what is new, the meme or the fag
>>
>>60665809
I can remove the DE.
>>
>>60666625
Windows (and OS X) don't have proper package management, Package managers make setting up reliable development environments much easier.

Only an idiot would choose to program on an OS that lacked proper/official package management.
>>
>>60666388
WRONG, this guy is a faggot. Gentoo is useful for not only catering to cool hobby projects, but also for deploying a specialized system, which is what was done with Chromebooks.
>>
>>60666625
>VS Studio for me is not bloated
your opinion on whether or not something is bloated does not change the reality of that thing being bloated
>>
>learn to program on windows
>get first job
>need to know linux command line for everything
>"guess I have to learn this Linux thing"
>realize there was no point in ever using windows.
>>
>>60666625
>People who need shit done they will use windows or macOS and that is fact.
Nope, people who need shit done will either use Windows, get BSOD and wannacry, and then just give up and buy a mac, or use some type of Linux from the start and avoid the whole mess.

It's no coincidence that big companies like Amazon and Google have their developers do their work on Linux. Windows just doesn't hold up well. It's fine for your little video games and youtube videos, but any real developing needs a professional environment with a unix or unix-like environment that can expect reliable uptime and a proper toolset being readily available and expected to work in a specific way.
>>
>>60666625
> Linux can too be bloated with KDE, Gnome and Unity
Even assuming you ran ALL of these, does it even get close to just running VS? Lel.

> don't tell me that you use XFCE or WM, these sucks dicks for consumers and even for programmers
AwesomeWM has been the most efficient method of working for me by far, and I've done the window pushing and DOS prompts and all for years.

No, it's not l33t. It's just software that keeps x windows using maximum screen space on y virtual desktops you can easily switch between. Did you know there is NO POINT to constantly arranging windows by yourself by dragging windows or having "cracks" in your manual alignment through which you can see your desktop and then kinda fudge around wnidows so the ovelaps are just "right"?

Can you understand it's not efficient to kinda redo part of this arrangement or constantly window switch with misses (observe, everyone constantly misses window they manage open if they're not very concentrated) if you now WANT a web browser article or debugger or both visible at the same time as your IDE? Yea, the Windows solution is then to manually manage full screen windows on hopefully enough physical displays, but it's not better.

Automatic tiling WM are indeed a syadmin's / programmer's choice that works.
>>
File: msvc6_pro_box_front.jpg (356KB, 1600x1881px) Image search: [Google]
msvc6_pro_box_front.jpg
356KB, 1600x1881px
>>60666538
>developers are just an afterthought.
Greenspun's twelfth rule is that every non-trivial development environment is an an ad-hoc, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of Visual Studio.
>>
>>60666625
>more than 1.5 hours to install VS
>you can install KDE, GNOME, and Unity in less than 10 minutes depending on your internet connection
>ever comparing the two
>>
>>60666537
That would be nice if the games ran on Linux in the first place.
>>
>>60666625
>Linux can too be bloated with KDE, Gnome and Unity
We shit on these only because they don't use the absolutely microscopic amounts of RAM the other options consume. None of those DE's really are all that bloated.
>>
>>60666713
>get BSOD and wannacry
BSOD's on modern versions of Windows are almost certainly due to hardware failure or buggy drivers.

WannaCry did nothing to a properly patched Windows. Unless you run aptitude or yum update on a daily cronjob, you're in no position to lecture anybody.
>>
>>60666740
>Microsoft Visual C++

>6.0
>Professional Edition
>Microsoft ®
>Requires Windows® 95 or later, or Windows NT® 4.0 or later
>Member of Microsoft Visual Studio™
>logo™
>ACADEMIC PRICE
how much fucking branding can you fit in one image? please delete this
>>
>>60666793
Keep attacking that tacky box art, because you sure as hell have no answer to the platitude next to it.
>>
>>60666468
> Windows too and do linux have VS Studio or R-Studio?
Nigga, I specifically have both of them installed on my leeducks system
>>
Easier to use, don't have to pay for software.
>>
>>60666782
>thinking it's uncommon for linux users to have regularly up-to-date systems
I can get why you'd think that, coming from a system where Windows updates are an awful inconvenience that interrupt you from your work. But you shouldn't assume that people on Linux have the same awful experience with updates that you do on Windows. we update daily :^)
>>
I just use linux because I'm not a cuckold
>>
>>60666782
>due to hardware failure or buggy drivers
what a blatant fucking lie. stop defending shitty programming. you can buy a brand new computer with windows installed on it, get BSOD for whatever reason, and then install linux on it and turn it into a server with years of uptime. you're just making excuses for poor design.
>>
>>60665882
>i, personally, can not understand how people use mac or windows;
because OS X and Windows (especially this one) have stable APIs.

>[gnu/linux] has no high level, stable, sane (truly forward and backward compatible) and standardized API for developing applications (like core Win32 API - most Windows 95 applications still run fine in Windows 10 - that's 20 years of binary compatibility). Both GTK and Qt (incompatible GTK versions 1, 2, 3, 4 and incompatible Qt versions 2, 3, 4, 5 just for the last decade) don't strive to be backwards compatible.
>>
File: 1466545132433.jpg (64KB, 720x552px) Image search: [Google]
1466545132433.jpg
64KB, 720x552px
>>60666740
Oh yeah? well the nigereth rule of the cuhrch of emacs says that any non-trivial programming language is an an ad-hoc, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of Lisp.
What now, cuckboi?
>>
>>60666865
But you can have all of those versions installed at the same time so does it really matter?
>>
>>60666851
this is true

I get a BSOD whenever I try to play 1080p video on windows 10 on a brand new laptop.
>>
>>60666832
>I can get why you'd think that, coming from a system where Windows updates are an awful inconvenience that interrupt you from your work.
On what planet? I don't even know what my Windows Update settings are because I don't think I've touched them in years - all I know is that occasionally I come home to my PC and it's updated itself.
>>
>>60666832
>Windows updates
don't remind me.
>be me, debian user
>buy new computer
>Windows 10 preinstalled
>decide to give it on honest shot, download the proper updates etc.
>use it for a whole week, eh it's alright
>at the end of the week, there are updates
>install them
>"Windows needs to restart to apply the updates..."
>whatever, restart
>"Windows couldn't complete the updates, undoing changes..."
>"Restarting..."
I immediately wiped my drive and installed debian. I don't play video games, so I have no reason to put up with unstable incompetent shit.
>>
>>60666524
>drivers for everything are included in the kernel
totally bloat
>while Windows you have to constantly download and update your drivers.
Because Windows driver API is stable unlike Linux. You can even use Vista drivers on 8 or 10.
>>
>>60666865
except no one follows the standards on windows and OS X so having a stable API is pointless.

Pretty much every anti-virus on windows looks like a giant ad.
>>
File: 1494390225051.png (597KB, 477x477px) Image search: [Google]
1494390225051.png
597KB, 477x477px
>>60666907
>Windows API
>Stable
>>
>>60665809
It's easier to use. Not to be confused with "more intuitive" to use -- there's a learning curve, but once you're over it, common operations are easier.
It's debuggable. Both Windows and Linux has problems, but on Linux it's possible to solve them.
Open source means you can change anything that doesn't suit you.
It's much easier to program on any Unix system than it is on Windows.
>>
>>60666903
>come home to my PC

You mean your job doesn't involve your computer? Go away, the adults are talking.
>>
>>60666917
>implying linux distros can run applications built 15 years ago without recompiling
>>
>>60666907
>> Drivers are totally bloat
> Oh, you just installed windows? Yeah, you need drivers for wired internet, to say nothing about wi-fi.
> Oh, you wanted to download them with this machine?
> But think of all the bloat you circumvented, anon
If drivers are bloat, I want to bonzi buddy my shit up, senpai
>>
>>60666953
>he uses drivers that haven't been updated in 15 years
maye thats why windows users get hacked and have so many BSODs
>>
>>60665809
holy shit that tux is deranged looking
>>
>>60666907
>totally bloat
The entire driver collection takes less space than downloading a shitty sound card driver for Windows.
>>
>>60665809
Faster boot-up times with less RAM used.
No telemetry
Lots of productivity choices
Ricing
Firewall and browser security is all you need
Free
>>
File: ___________________________.jpg (25KB, 413x479px) Image search: [Google]
___________________________.jpg
25KB, 413x479px
>>60665809
Must be the freedom that comes with it
Being in control
Being able to freely get it when you need it
Not being harassed when changing hardware or reinstalling
Not tyrannical
Works
>>
>>60666990
/thread
>>
>>60666916
Bitdefender is comfy and very lightweight
>>
>>60666666
>>
>>60666985
>>60666974
Linuxtards literally can't admit their shit is designed to be incompatible with anything not open source.
>>
>>60666897
>>60666851
I don't see how what either of you are saying contradicts what I'm saying at all.

Windows is not unstable. I've been building my own PC's since the early 2000's, and every single one of them has had some variant of Windows NT on them, and every single time I've ever had a problem with a BSOD or hard freeze, it ended being either a hardware problem or something that could be traced to a specific third-party kernel module, usually AMD's shitty graphics drivers.
>>
>>60666865
>OS X stable API.

nigga they switched fucking processor architectures in the middle of OS X. And Apple has a long history of this. Dont fucking claim Apple has some standard API that has any worthwhile longevity

>6502 -> 68k
>68k -> PPC
>Classic -> OS X
>PPC -> Intel
>>
>>60667061
>I've been building my own PC's since the early 2000's
>anecdotal evidence
you probably weren't even born before 2003.
>>
>>60667039
OMG LE REPEATING DIGITS MAYMAY XD KEK IS HERE
>>
File: 1496077169115.webm (955KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1496077169115.webm
955KB, 1280x720px
>>60665809

>why someone would choose linux over windows

no ads
no activation product key expiring
no malware(not saying it's impossible. you don't get it as frequently as you do on windows)
more freedom to delete unnecessarily applications i don't use
>>
>>60666990
>posting reasons nobody outside of this board will care.
>>
>>60667082
>mixing ABI with API
>>
File: 4by59po6byty.jpg (42KB, 750x657px) Image search: [Google]
4by59po6byty.jpg
42KB, 750x657px
>>60667084
Sure, buddy.
>>
>>60667123
>no ads
>no activation product key expiring
>more freedom to delete unnecessarily applications i don't use
95% of the users don't care about this. Only pirates and paranoid people will do.
>no malware
granted
It's as simple as making Windows not running applications not digitally signed or outside the store. That will avoid 90% of malware.
>>
>>60665809
Windows and OS X are shitty. I have been using both for years. When Linux is shitty there's usually a way to fix it by changing something. When Windows is shitty you just have to bend over and take it. If software makers would just focus on something like Ubuntu or Debian the world would be a better place. There's nothing that Windows or OS X do better when the software support is there.
>>
>>60667266
nobody will focus on something that breaks binary compatibility every two or three versions.
You could use static linking but it triggers freedomtards with the "don't reinvent the wheel" thing and if you link against system libs any update may break your software.
>>
>tfw main machine is Xubuntu
>tfw booted up my Windows 10 laptop
>tfw wanted updates on shutdown, no way to avoid shutting down and updating

I needed to go with the laptop off. Pressing Alt-F4 on the desktop didn't give me the option to circumvent updates like Windows 7 and previous, nor the lock screen power menu. I even tried the shutdown -i dialog and said "shutdown" but it took that to mean install updates and shutdown.

What's worse, it was the creators update so the laptop was on for an hour or so updating.

I gave up Windows after 10 was released and haven't looked back.
>>
>>60667307
Can't you just keep the previous libs if the system installs newer than your software needs?
>>
btw
next to me is a w10 pc
been standing there for the last 45 minutes updating
>reasons
>>
>>60666865
>because OS X and Windows (especially this one) have stable APIs.
>OS X
Do not make assertions when you have no fucking clue what you're talking about. Compiling non-trivial programs designed for older versions of OS X will spew endless amounts of deprecation warnings, and will sometimes even fail to compile at all.
>>
File: john_530_big.jpg (208KB, 530x424px) Image search: [Google]
john_530_big.jpg
208KB, 530x424px
>>60667383
I have no idea how long my system takes to update because I've never actually seen it update itself. I always come home to an updated PC.
>>
>>60667188
Read Brave New World, and take 4 hits of LSD-25 at a rave..
You'll thank me for this later.
>>
Great terminal, tmux, ssh, window managers, packaging system, no bloat, filesystem doesnt fragment etc.
>>
>>60667427
>thinking this is a good thing
My PC isnt even connected to the internet when Im not home unless I have a good reason for it to be
>>
>>60665809
Because when I walk away from linux for more than 10 minutes it doesnt automatically kill my harddrives.
>>
Well let's look at the pros and cons of GNU/Linux vs other OSes shall we:
Pros
>respects privacy
>respects freedoms
>runs on most hardware
>superior installation methods
>superior command line
>full control over system
Cons
>some software doesn't support it
>>
>>60665809
I think you mean a distribution of GNU+Linux
>>
>>60668024
Updating your system isn't a good reason?

Microsoft updates are the second Tuesday of every month (as opposed to the "as soon as we get it" schedule of most Linux distribution). You can leave your system connected to the internet one night out of every month.
>>
>>60668238
>>60668207
>updating to broken updates on Microsoft's schedule, not your own
>updating the botnet at its earliest convenience
>>
>>60668081
Literally none of the pros matter when it can't run software that people rely upon.

Operating Systems are not created for their own sake. They are not cathedrals that you erect to worship at the feet of the holy GNU. They are created to do a job. They are created first and foremost to RUN THINGS. They are created to RUN SOFTWARE THAT PEOPLE RELY UPON.

This is why people continue to use Windows and macOS. This is why people use Linux on the server (where it belongs). This is why people use Android and iOS phones.

The only successful use case of the UNIX desktop thus far is....UNIX development. Or narrow definitions of web development that don't involve any sort of collaborative graphic design (because everybody else in the space uses Photoshop or some Mac thing). Android doesn't use it. Even Chromebooks, which are a Linux distro underneath, are locked down and prevent you from installing normal Linux utilities unless you wipe your system and enable "Developer Mode", and at that point Google won't support you.

Face it. There is something fundamentally wrong with the UNIX desktop stack.
>>
>>60665809

I'm software developer and I use W10 as main OS. I have debian stable on a VM for work.
I find W10 way more stable as VM host and it has Office and Adobe suite which is really nice.
>>
>>60668456
The second Tuesday is the first day that's it's available, not the last, numb-nuts. Are you saying that literally every minute of every hour of every day past that Tuesday is an inconvenient time to update?
>>
>>60665809
There is no all around 'better'. Just as you use different tools for different jobs, OSs must be used for how and when YOU need them.
my preferred options go like this:
>Gaming: Win7/10
>Dev.: I typically use LinMint or Ubuntu desk. but rn I'm using Zorin on my HP notebook for a little dev. and for fun.

mainly what I do, except for "work". My "work" setup is my little secret (incognito...)
>>
>>60668466
Most software runs fine on Linux.
There is a something that works natively most of the time as a competitor to major software.
If not, it probably works well in wine.
There are very few examples of software that fail both of the above. They are also most likely to be games, which is obviously not software "people rely upon."
>>
>>60670492
Most of the open source alternatives to vital software are hobbyist curiosities and buckle when used in anger. I am one of those kind of weirdos that actually knows how to and uses GIMP as their primary image editor, so I'm very well versed in dealing with this sort of open source jank. Wine is an incredibly poor substitute, because if something breaks, it's on you to fix it as it's incredibly unlikely you will ever get any support for running under Wine.

What should bother you, though, is that very few new professional software products, outside of programmers tools, seem to find their way to Linux. At my work, my coworkers and boss are fed up with Photoshop, and all of the cheaper alternatives I've heard them tossing around are also not available for Linux. You can perhaps understand why a big company might not want to port a huge program like Photoshop or Office to Linux, but when smaller companies writing new software for professionals are also passing up Linux support, you've got a problem on your hands. Something is fucked with the state of the Linux Desktop that makes these companies not want to bother, and no amount of screaming at fellow NEETs about your distro flavor of the week is going to change that.
>>
>>60666988
Do you need a firewall if you have no services running for people to connect to?
>>
>>60665809
>>60665809
It costs nothing and it works exactly the same as any other OS for normie shit like a web browser, office suite, and stuff like that. It's just as easy to install as Wanblows. Ubuntu even gives you an option to install it alongside Winshit.

Still, the lack of spying is the main advantage. Those who would throw away even the smallest bit of their privacy for convenience deserve no privacy at all.
>>
File: Tux.png (88KB, 560x660px) Image search: [Google]
Tux.png
88KB, 560x660px
>>60665809
principle
>>
>>60665809
I find working in certain DEs is super comfy, theres tons of things the GNU/Linux guys have come up with that I genuinely miss whenever I go back to one of the other two. Navigating workspaces, managing windows, manipulating text, on and on.

Also, for all my work I either only need a browser or software that is available on any platform, so there is nothing that locks me to M$ or Apple.
>>
>>60670943
>The Devs of your very specific Software don't listen to their users

>It's the fault of the Operating System they want you to port the Program to

Nice logic you have there.
You are probably one of those People that still think the Windows Desktop is even remotely close to anything Mac or Linux has to offer
>>
>>60666740
Visual C++ just was an another attempt to destroy multiplatform software. It didn't worked as J# either. Sad. :^)
>>
File: 1464991361790-0.jpg (150KB, 789x689px) Image search: [Google]
1464991361790-0.jpg
150KB, 789x689px
>>60667050
Yeah, this is why some W7 edition have a whole XP subsystem. Just for the lulz.

>>60668238
>(as opposed to the "as soon as we get it" schedule of most Linux distribution
>implying it's mandatory.
Aside kernel updates (live patch exclueded) non of them needs restart but you are a fucking idiot anyway so will forget it in the next linwin b8 thread.
>>
>>60670943
>Wine is an incredibly poor substitute
You should thank apple for not upgrading their hw properly and wine expects from them more money than anyone else.
>because if something breaks, it's on you to fix it
That's especially fun, when an old application won't work on Windows 10. You can try to found a patch or fucked eternally.
>>
>>60665809
>Can one of you explain to me why anyone would choose a Linux Distro OS as a primary OS over OSX or Windows.

>security
>transparency
>variety/choice
>open source
>package management
>easy updating
>customizability
>community support
>total control over your system
>respects your privacy
>works great even on old/dated hardware
>stable
>reliable
>fast
>free

Now fuck off and install Gentoo!
>>
>>60665809
Well, I use macOS on my laptop, but for my desktop computer at work: It's simply because I know it the best.

>I mean unless you're a software developer or you're paranoid Win or Apple are spying on you I can't understand the appeal behind it.
I've been using Linux for over a decade. I know how it works, I can fix things when they break and whenever I need to do some actual work, I don't have to open up Putty and SSH into some remote box or fire up a VM.

Why would I not use Linux?
>>
>>60673206
HackNTosh or MacBook?
>>
>>60665809
I'm sick of random unnecessary background processes doing shit behind my back without me noticing or even worse, with me noticing because they go 100% and send my laptop fans into overdrive.
>>
>>60673237
MBP
>>
>>60665809
paranoid implies an unreasonable and unwarranted fear of something
both is not the case in regards of spying
>>
>>60665809
no fucking bullshit

the machine has on it what I put on it, it only runs what I tell it to run, it updates when I want, how I want and only IF I want
>>
>>60665809
The average user who just games and is not a programmer etc. Windows is the better OS. If you're actually a programmer (which a large majority aren't) and into coding and shit, then Linux is to better OS. Simple as that.
>>
>>60665809
A lot of the software I like runs better on Linux, or doesn't run at all on Windows.
>>
>>60665809
>web
>mail
>movies
>music
>p2p

i dont't need mac or windows
>>
>>60665809
>osx
expensive, proprietary and limited
>windows
proprietary and limited
>>
>>60665809
I'm a software developer :<]
>>
>>60666432
>word processing
With libre office?
>>
>>60674339
Emacs org-mode
>>
>>60666234
>running .exe on windows
seems legit
>>
>>60666234
>Linux users rarely install software outside of their package managers
False

>The software in official repositories is well audited
True

>Linux doesnt seem to get viruses simply from loading web pages
This can happen, it's just that Linux exploits aren't that common because 1.2% market share etc. However, it also means that Linux exploits can be around for ages without being discovered.

>On Linux, you can go to the most virus infested sites worry free, and as long as you dont go downloading and executing random executables, you are nearly guaranteed to be fine
Not true, most insecure sites are phishing sites and will use crossite scripting etc in order to hijack whatever sessions and cookies you have.

Just because your OS is more or less secure, it doesn't mean that your browser is. Since Linux isn't that widely used, browsers on Linux are exceptionally vulnerable to exploits that can lie around for ages without being discovered and patched.

>>60665985
Servers are rarely infected by viruses because people don't use them as desktops.
>>
>>60674339
LaTeX
>>
>>60675252
linux is inherently more secure than windows

>plug in USB into desktop
>windows wants to autorun with admin priviledge
doesnt happen on MY desktop :^)
>>
>>60675281
>>windows wants to autorun with admin priviledge
That was the past, but viruses are rare nowadays so it's irrelevant.
>>
File: window decorations.png (31KB, 382x203px) Image search: [Google]
window decorations.png
31KB, 382x203px
>>60666399
the only hardware I ever had a problem with was a broadcom wifi chip... everything worked OOTB or was just one package from my distro's repo away... convenient AF. Try to do that on Windows, aka. visiting the vendor website and browsing through the download section, finding an archive, extracting it, finding the installer, executing it, checking for ad- and bloatware, reboot

>Great battery life
Having an even better one with much better customizability on Linux

My notebook boots from hybernation in not even a second... The login screen of my DM is instantly there. A normal boot takes 7 seconds:
$ ssh notebook systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 3.168s (firmware) + 1.701s (loader) + 1.796s (kernel) + 808ms (userspace) = 7.475s

Do you want me to list some programs which don't work in windows?

>Environment and file manager is superior than any linux DE ever existed
You're talking about a non-posix env. Windows Explorer is one of the worst file managers among all OSes. Just a few examples: no tabs, can't rename files with a leading dot, no native ssh mounts, redundant menus, and many other flaws...

> and windows looks polished
pic related

>program everything in GUI
You're clearly an absolute beginner. Don't give up, though!

>You have great program
Ridiculous at this point. Please learn how to use articles, my russian friend...

>I use linux and study linux, I find linux only good in VM
You're a liar and a stupid troll...
>>
deving is less painful than on windows
there really isn't that much of a difference though, id stick with linux if it wasn't for vidya
>>
>>60665809
>I mean unless you're a software developer or you're paranoid Win or Apple are spying on you I can't understand the appeal behind it.

I am both.
>>
>>60673542
no.
its not that simple.
you can code perfectly well on windows.
not that linux is redundant, just that being a programmer =/= should use linux
>>
>>60675681
W10 can download drivers and it's comfy until it won't install an outdated or bug ridden crap.
>>
>>60676364
>automatically downloading unkown, proprietary stuff
>>
File: 658.png (928KB, 600x887px) Image search: [Google]
658.png
928KB, 600x887px
>>60676404
On W10 it's the normal procedure. Microsoft are for the users and they are the good guys in the IRL movie. :^)
>>
>>60665809
>
>
>Inb4 bait, not bait, I really want to know what advantages any Linux distros (aside from distros designed soley for purposes like pen-testing etc) over Windows or Mac...

Because I'm a developer and I'm paranoid about closed source spying, and because customizing and building Linux expands the mind and keeps it sharp, and because it's free as in free beer, and because using and contributing to open source makes the world better.
>>
>>60665809
I'm a software developer and I'm paranoid
Thread posts: 173
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.