[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is dvorak a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: serveimage.png (58KB, 1280x427px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.png
58KB, 1280x427px
Is learning Dvorak a waste of time?
>>
>>60659740
Unless you tried it and reeeally prefer it over qwerty, no... The learning curve is steep if you're already a proficient touch-typist and the setup itself is a PITA.
>>
>>60659740
>>60659742
>some fatass nerd rearranges some keys
>LE NEW PARADIGM
>redditors all flock to it to try and seem "interesting"
>post about how "convenient" and "fast" it is
>get fucked over every time they have to use any keyboard that isnt their own cheetos grease keyboard

basiclaly , its a meme
>>
I learned dvorak over a few weeks of summer break some years ago. Still use it today, both at home and at work, no regrets.
Here's the method I used. It does not involve keyboard modification, so as an added bonus you'll be a 100% touch typist when you're done:
>print out a picture of the dvorak layout
>place it on your desk so it's right next to your screen
>start typing in dvorak, using the picture as a reference
>if you don't type much, find reasons to type or play a touch typing game
>a few days in, move the picture away so you have to physically move your head to see it
>later on, remove the picture from view entirely, but keep it in a place where you can reach for it
It was hell for two weeks, but then it got better.
>>
>>60659740
yes it is, there's nothing wrong with qwerty and literally every keyboard device uses it.
>>
>>60659740
Yes and yes. The reason people get faster after learning dvorak is because of all the practicing they have to do when they learn the new layout.
>>
>>60659740
Yes
>>
>>60659740
I've been on dvorak for probably almost ten years now. I never learned touch typing on qwerty, I hunted and pecked at around 65 wpm so touch typing was probably the biggest benefit I got out of switching. I type very correctly and accurately now in dvorak. Actually, it's pretty difficult for me to pick out any arbitrary key in dvorak, I'm still much better at doing that in qwerty. I do switch back and forth, I'm probably about 95% dvorak but my gaming desktop is in qwerty because binds are a whole clusterfuck otherwise and I do so little typing in-game.

I'm a software developer by trade, and I was useless for about a month while I was learning, but luckily it didn't really matter with the job I had at the time. I max out at around 100 wpm now, and that was sort of just a natural plateau, I wasn't really trying to get as fast as possible. The speed increase is probably as much due to touch typing as it is to dvorak. I do think that the amount of movement across the keyboard and strain is reduced by switching to dvorak, which was really my central motive. I didn't want to develop RSI later on, but I'm not sure I would have in the first place. It's not like I'm doing serious data entry. I think that typing in dvorak feels more comfortable because you do stick to the home row and more natural key patterns most of the time.

In terms of ROI, you'll need to have a job where you type a shitload in order to make it really worth it. Alternatively, if you are a shit typist currently, you may as well take this opportunity to learn touch typing and dvorak at the same time.
>>
>>60659740
You'll type faster with dvorak but every other keyboard you ever interact with will be qwerty.
>>
>>60659796
>the setup itself is a PITA.
This is false.

>>60661833
>>60660066
I don't really understand this line of reasoning. Learning dvorak doesn't mean you can no longer type in qwerty (though you'll probably lose a confidence), and adding a dvorak layout in any OS is completely trivial.
>>
>>60659740
No. It actually works once you get used to it. Drawbacks is every keyboard in the world is qwerty, but your personal one.
>>
>>60661833
just carry your board around with you
>>
>>60659740
It's a meme
Just practice your qwerty
>>
Better to learn to type QWERTY fast, it's everywhere.
>>
>>60663897
>>60663554
You niggers understand that the arrangement of the letters on the keyboard has nothing to do with the actual typing layout, right?
>>
>>60664224
What?
>>
>>60664262
[spoiler]Gonna take the bait here.[/spoiler] You change the layout in the OS settings and it's not like you look at the keyboard when you type.
>>
>>60664330
Do these people really not understand this? All you street shitters get the fuck off my board
>>
>>60659740
Of course, it should be obvious that QWERTZ is the master race
>>
File: 151.png (7KB, 305x352px) Image search: [Google]
151.png
7KB, 305x352px
>>60659740
Yes
Pic related, me on QWERTY
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.