[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Unix philosophy get on your knees

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8

File: sysv-systemd-4-638.jpg (59KB, 638x359px) Image search: [Google]
sysv-systemd-4-638.jpg
59KB, 638x359px
>2017
>People falling for the Unix philosophy
Get over it. While the idea of Unix ideal, nothing really is Unix.

Unix tools are not unix:
>wc
Counts words, characters and even lines. It's named WORD COUNT FFS
>basename
Not only does it print the filename, it can also strip filenames and then print it. If it was unix, there would be another program that can strip extensions.
>cat
It can print the line numbers as it prints output.
Why?
If it was unix it could redirect each lines to a separate program that enumerates lines. You can pipe the cat's output into this program.

And don't even start with "hurr durr why should ls not be able to reverse output"
If Unix can have fmt, sort, split etc, it can have a reverser too.

BULLSHIT

Nothing is unix.

Your media player is not unix. Neither is your picture viewer. If it was, there'd be a jpegviewer or pngviewer.
>hurr hurr durr they are calling different codecs
So that makes codecs unix, not your picture viewer.

Why the fuck should your web browser be able to play music? Launch your music player for embedded music in the webpages.

Now neckbeards are hiring murderers to call Lennart.
You don't like systemd? Don't fucking use it! You don't like eating meats? DON'T FUCKING TELL PEOPLE ABOUT IT. AND DEFINITELY DON'T HIRE PEOPLE TO KILL MEAT EATERS.
FUCKING VEGAN HIPPIES I SWEAR
>>
Embrace Windows 10
>>
>>60639077
It's a philosophy. Do you know what that means? It's a set of ideas which work as guidelines when designing an OS adhering to said philosophy. It doesn't mean that every single program has to do just one thing or that all programs have to handle text streams.
>>
File: 66 cooper.png (900KB, 1280x720px)
66 cooper.png
900KB, 1280x720px
>>60639077
>While the idea of Unix ideal, nothing really is Unix.

fucking sage since your pajeet ass cant even use a decent english translator
>>
File: 1491055871099.png (16KB, 259x224px)
1491055871099.png
16KB, 259x224px
>These programs are designed to do one thing defined by their name, rather than a simple set of specifications
>>
>>60639157
You can't sage and post pictures at the same time
>>
UNIX and UNIX-like OSes are still the best, at least file manager doesn't try to show an ad like in "Windows-philosophy"
>>
File: lynch tree.jpg (163KB, 800x600px)
lynch tree.jpg
163KB, 800x600px
>>60639194

watch me nigger
>>
File: gomblexity.png (106KB, 853x621px)
gomblexity.png
106KB, 853x621px
>>60639077 (OP)
>nah nah nah not unix
Go there, they only have true unix (and kill yourself in the process): http://harmful.cat-v.org/software
>>
>>60639077
edgy much
>>
>>60639077
>text streams
Yeah nah I'm just gonna use powershell
>>
you're not wrong, but that doesn't make those utilities any less useful either.
>>
>>60639700
>"I run Linux on a fairly recent Thinkpad"
- Uriel
>>
>>60640081
Uriel is dead, this is somewhat telling.
>>
"Unix philosophy" is a marketing ploy to turn deficiency of the early Unixes into a virtue, it's funny how edgy teenagers still fall for it 40 years later, it's almost like the kids on /pol/ consuming nazi propaganda unironically.
>>
>>60641387
Being dead is simpler than living.
>>
>>60641585
I agree.

He went the true Unix way.
>>
>>60639077
ikr, everyone on this shitty website thinks they're the best for using unix or linux or whatever the flavor of the day is now. I'm on a mac getting real work done, who cares about "muh terminal" or "Muh unix".
>>
>>60639077
Compared to other philosophies?
>buy from autist, sell for big bux, fuck the world with licensing
Or
>steal everything, it werks only on this hardware BUT it just werks and if it doesn't it's art you poorfag
>>
>>60639077
Unix must die just is bad version of Multics.
>>
>>60641538
It's funny how edgy pre-teenagers fall for the gui-centric MS/Apple approach to doing things simply and efficiently.
>>
>>60643059
Which you have used how much again?
>>
>>60639077
>because we're not always perfect, logical beings we should just give up and revert to not using any tools or technologies we built using logic
Ironically this thread wouldn't exist if the Unix-philosophy-creating types didn't prevail over the OP-types.
>>
>>60639077
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POSIX
>POSIX
>Not to be confused with Unix, Unix-like, or Linux.
>>
>>60639128
No
>>
>>60641585
>Being
Dead is the opposite of being you fucktard
>>
>>60639077
>You don't like systemd? Don't fucking use it! You don't like eating meats? DON'T FUCKING TELL PEOPLE ABOUT IT. AND DEFINITELY DON'T HIRE PEOPLE TO KILL MEAT EATERS.
>FUCKING VEGAN HIPPIES I SWEAR

I like how OP showed his retard at the end there
>>
>write programs to handle text streams, because that is a universal interface

What exactly does this mean in this context?
>>
>>60639077

Unix failed because of Teitelbaum's Law

"Programs are not text; they are hierarchical compositions of computational structures and should be edited, executed, and debugged in an environment that consistently acknowledges and reinforces this viewpoint."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Teitelbaum
>>
>>60644014
Think about transmitting an object and its attributes.

Transfer in JSON form is one textual approach. Java object serialization is one binary approach.
>>
>>60639077

word count can be done in 3 lines of python
>>
nice try lennart
>>
File: unixh8rs.gif (144KB, 400x500px)
unixh8rs.gif
144KB, 400x500px
>>60644039
>>60639077

to add to this:

So imagine we do get our dream Unix user. He can accomplish any task by just chaining together prepackaged CLI commands. In fact he's never even touched a text editor.

You've now effectively created an interpreted language "Unixlang" with NO COMPILER. Not only do programs take up an unnecessary amount of space on disk, take longer than needed to run, and in some cases have undefined behavior, but MAKING YOUR PROGRAMS PARALLEL OR CONCURRENT ACROSS MULTIPLE MACHINES IS NOW A DIFFERENT PROGRAM INSTEAD OF THE SAME LOGIC DISTRIBUTED.
>>
File: 1422458143020.png (14KB, 416x70px)
1422458143020.png
14KB, 416x70px
OP is profoundly retarded and doesn't understand UNIX either.
>>
>>60639077
In case you are not aware, my estimed trollist,
you are not the first to bemoan such things.
For instance, on Plan 9 variants, there are indeed
separate programs to view different image formats.
I and others agree that line-numbering does not
belong in cat, and that a general output reverser
is useful, and easy to implement.
But it is important to recognise that with certain
things, such as kernels and media streams, it
can be wise to combine distinct functionality in
a programmatical atom, lest in persuit of simplicity
and modularity we end up with a Hurd of complexities.
>>
Don't forget this retarded shit.
Worst think about Unix AND Linux.

Even Windows Filesystem isn't this fucking retarded.
Although in the case of Windows, there really is too much freedom given to developers.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.