[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why aren't you running the best distribution?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5

File: neofetch-2017-05-28-09-47-26-427.png (458KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
neofetch-2017-05-28-09-47-26-427.png
458KB, 1920x1080px
Why aren't you running the best distribution?
>>
Why would I run a bloated version of Arch?
>>
>i don't need arch as shown by the fact that i can't follow simple instructions to install it
>i will install this downstream pile of shit, just because i think arch makes one cool and that using this i will get coolness points
>i will brag about using software other people wrote online to feel good about myself

Kill yourself.
>>
Why I should run such a fucking retarded distribution?
>>
>>60627842
>thinks people use Arch because they enjoy manually installing their OS

No, most of us use it for the package manager and the rolling release nature. Only people with brain problems think they should be manually doing easily automated processes for no actual gain.
>>
>>60629444
See >>60627841
>>
you run manjaro or antegros if you're too stupid to run arch
>>
hipster distro
>>
Why is there no stable rolling release distribution?
I don't care about bleeding edge, I just want to install a system, turn on automatic updates and never worry about manually upgrading or reinstalling again while still maintaining the latest stable versions of everything.
>>
File: 15-46-51.png (65KB, 969x307px) Image search: [Google]
15-46-51.png
65KB, 969x307px
>>60627790
But, I am.
>>
>>60629527
Use the minimal option install then.
>>
>>60629627
What is Debian Stable?
>>
>>60629669
>debian stable
>rolling
>>
>>60629676
>I don't care about bleeding edge
>>
>>60629613
>thinks intelligent people work harder instead of smarter

The only reason to install Arch instead of using Antergos or Manjaro is if you're going to do some super special set-up with the partitioning and file systems. If you're doing a basic install to a desktop computer for daily use, there is not reason to not just an installer that automates the tedious tasks.
>>
>>60629707
>Why is there no stable ROLLING RELEASE distribution?
>>
>>60629707
Bleeding edge and rolling are two entirely different things.
>>
Graphic installs are shit.
What if I want to full disk encrypt? I don't like LVM tho.
What if I want to authenticate into a network (Public Wifi)? I can do it easily wget/curl (both can fill out forms).
>>
>>60629709
>fdisk
>pacstrap
Wow its so hard.
And also download size for antergos is 1.7gb and for arch its only 400 mb and while pacstrap you download ~200 mb that means a lot of time saving, while its not a big deal for peoplw with 100 mbps internet but people with like 1mbps, its a huge deal getting a fully functional with cutting edge features and AUR for only 600 mb dowload is great. Also manjaro has that shitty delay time for packages
>>
>>60629661
Still bloated comparatively.

>>60629627
Only use the stable Arch repos.
>>
>maintainers tell it's userbase to bypass expired ssl certificates by changing system clock
>>
have already tried arch, I play 1 game (osu!) and it seems to work like shit in WINE and there's a bug in open source AMD GPU driver for Arch (xf86-video-amdgpu) that limits refresh rate to 120 Hz when my monitor is 144 Hz

staying on W10 until then
>>
>>60629845
>thinks tedious == hard
I said tedious, as in it's boring and I don't want to do it. No I don't want to set my locale and timezone and network and this and that when the installer can achieve the same exact result all on it's own. I let the machine handle the tasks meant for machines.

>>60629832
If you wanna do some super special shit, do a manual install. I have no problem with LVM and can't see why anyone would so I'd just use the installer.

>>60629848
>Still bloated comparatively.
Objectively false. Sorry, it's not bloat when your network and timezone is automatically detected, that's just called convenience.
>>
>>60629929
>actually using open source drivers for Nvidia or AMD ever

Just install the proprietary drivers if you want to make proper use of your card, the open source drivers are more of a proof of concept than anything else.
>>
>>60629930
Thats a very little price to pay if you are getting the iso quickly, than again we have very shitty internet, can't really relate to you
>>
File: pikachu_laughing_6363.gif (15KB, 198x198px) Image search: [Google]
pikachu_laughing_6363.gif
15KB, 198x198px
>>60627790
OP says "best distribution" yet instead posts a picture of manjaro. What a rube.
>>
>>60629929
I checked aur and there was osu there, can't really say anything about stability
>>
>>60627790
But I already am.
>>
>>60629951
>>60629988
>AUR
ew
>>
>>60629930
>Objectively false
Using 16mb of RAM at the moment. NTP and DHCP ran on boot.

Try again.

Manjaro is bloated Arch for people too stupid to install Arch.
>>
I'm actually downloading it right now. Wanted to try Arch because of rolling release / more bleeding edge. But systemd sucks donkey dong and it looks like OpenRC is better supported in Manjaro than proper Arch.
>>
>>60629650
This and Gentoo. Other distributions shouldn't even exist.
>>
>>60630256
>Systemd
It's not that different to use. I'm using init.d still but if you've used init you won't have trouble using systemd.
>>
>>60630254
screenshot or gtfo
>>
>>60627790

Why do wannabes too stupid and lazy to install Gentoo always make threads like this?
>>
>>60630464
>Why do wannabes too stupid and lazy to write their own complete OS from scratch always make threads like this?
fixed

Ooo wow, look at me, I compiled somebody's elses code, I'm such a leet haxxor! Heh, come back when you've got your own OS built on your own language compiled with your own compiler running on silicon and metal you harvested yourself with your own bare hands while blindfolded and naked.
>>
>>60627790
Antergos is better
>>
>>60630458
That's pretty standard for a tidy minimal Arch install. You'll be under 200MB usage even with most functionality as long as you don't use a bloated desktop environment.

You don't really need things like DHCP to run as a daemon. Throw dhcpcd in a startup script with ifconfig to turn the adapter on instead.

Another good trick if resources are limited but you want to avoid "minimal" desktop environments is to use old ones like GDK2 instead.

Manjaro discourages learning and you end up with people who can't imagine efficient systems exist on the much less bloated distribution.
>>
>>60627790
because it broke after an update
>>
>>60627790
Always been shit
>>
>>60630720
>That's pretty standard for a tidy minimal Arch install

Except that's pretty bullshit, I've got a Void install built with musl instead of bloated ass glibc and the lowest it goes is 22mb ram. And I've been using Arch myself for 8 years so until I decided to start using Antergos on new installs I know it's a load of crap.
>>
>>60630515

Implying it would be "the best OS" when you try to write an OS from scratch.
>>
>>60629627
you just described debian testing
>>
>>60627790
All I know about Manjaro is that it's Arch for retards and their response to the SSL cert for their forums expiring was for everyone to manually set their hwclock back to a time when it wasn't expired.
>>
>>60627841
>>60629527
>>60629613

I have installed Manjaro on a computer because installing Arch would require me to plug into the wall. Manjaro iso has the courtesy to recognize my wifi right away even though my computer had literally evil wifi chipset.

And I have installed Arch 5 or 6 times in VM to try it, literally don't know shit about Linux guys there are youtube videos that tell you what to fucking type

manually editing a file to add user, manually partitioning your disk... all this shit doesn't make you smart it just means you get off on doing things the hard way
>>
>>60630771
Not really. I built the image in 2010 as a base for a couple of my servers (why I'm still using init.d). It runs 16mb usage once you put it all together. With X on top for desktop usage it'll hover in the 140-170 range depending on exactly what was put in it.

The image wasn't made with desktop use in mind but I've used it on and off over the years when I've had old laptops.
>>
>>60630917
Screenshot or gtfo
>>
>>60630852
>all this shit doesn't make you smart
It literally does, it teaches you more about a Linux system and how things work.
>>
You can do all learning you want in a VM after you install your OS like a normal person.
>>
>>60627790
I do use Manjaro at the moment even though I'm a distro hopper. It's pretty nice. I haven't found out what the best DE would be for me, I keep changing them as well.

The best distro is the smartest distro. People don't like automated ones because they lack options and choose the wrong option then. When it's perfect it won't do that. Smartest distro has the best potential to spread and get more support. Manual distros will never have a large userbase no matter how solid they are.
>>
>>60631069
meant for >>60631003
>>
>>60627790
That's not gentoo?
>>
>>60629951
Except the AMD open source drivers whoop the proprietary ones when it comes to games and such. Using them myselves and work pretty good.
>>
>>60631127
Are you serious? What is AMD even doing when some random neckbeards can reverse engineer better drivers than they themselves can produce?
>>
>>60631146
Not really reverse engineering when AMD is actually helping them.
Still, the AMDGPU drivers supports Vulkan and OpenCL better.
>>
>>60630821
Do they even letsencrypt?
>>
>It's an "insecure idiots arguing about their distro choice vs. same old bait" episode

It never stops
>>
>>60627790
I am
>>
>>60629669
Wait if you install debian stable you never have to reinstall again when they come up with a new version?
>>
>>60627790
arch is garbae
but manjaro is good alternative for ubuntu
yea
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.