[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Extending usb over cat5

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

File: FZ39AM7FBPF3JS8.MEDIUM.jpg (51KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
FZ39AM7FBPF3JS8.MEDIUM.jpg
51KB, 620x465px
Would this hack really work or is it just a troll image?
>>
>>60626802
It might work at short distances and low speeds if both device's tolerances are sufficient. You certainly couldn't rely on it.
>>
>>60626802
I mean it COULD work, like >>60626824 says. Wires are simply wires, nothing more than what you connect at each end. You could even run a DC circuit with ethernet cables by manipulating the wiring; it doesn't have to be an internet connection going through the cable. As long as you line up the wiring correctly, it could easily act as a USB extension cable.
>>
>>60626802
It probably wont. To go above the standard's limit you need really good and expensive cables or extenders. We buy some super expensive DVI cables at work to extend the max range some 5 meters. It works most of the time.
>>
>>60626802
"hack" plz gtfo
>>
>>60626802
It won't allow you to extend the USB any further than is possible by using an actual cable.
>>
>>60626891
What are you sending over USB to require that? We use 30m active USB2 cables at work with no problems, run USB monitors over them etc.
>>
>>60627032
Things I can't talk about due to the nature of what I'm working with.
>>
>>60626802

i can confirm it can as i have installed a remote usb dongle interface over a twisted pair inside a helicopter from tail to cockpit(honeywell active vibration dampening module data logging)

but it depends on your gear and what you are doing ... some device output fets can push it some cant and also power draw... might even drop down to usb 1.0 speeds.... need more details TBPHF
>>
What would be a solution for extending a USB connection some 20 meters?
>>
>>60627482
USB 2 or 3?
>>
Make sure tx+ and tx- are a twisted pair. Don't try to use USB for a lot of power over long distance with those thin wires. should work.
>>
File: adapter.jpg (17KB, 372x265px) Image search: [Google]
adapter.jpg
17KB, 372x265px
>>60627685
I was thinking of using a couple of these and a long ass cat5 rj45, with one end connected to a PC and a wifi dongle in the other. It should work right?
>>
>>60626891
>We buy some super expensive DVI cables at work to extend the max range some 5 meters
You retards buy placebo.
>>60627032
>Things I can't talk about due to the nature of what I'm working with.
you are a pathetic cuck
>>
>>60627482
http://www.yourcablestore.com/USB-Cable-Length-Limitations-And-How-To-Break-Them_ep_42-1.html
>>
>>60627032
Stackoverflow cuck detected...
>>
>>60627806
>You retards buy placebo.
Not really since the more expensive cables are the only ones that actually give us a picture at the desired resolution at max range.
>>60627806
>you are a pathetic cuck
I could tell you but you'd need a TS clearance for the very things I work with.
>>
>>60627904
huh?
>>
>>60626802
yeah, stuff like that works, did the same because i didn't have a 5m usb cable, worked fine
>>
I make stuff that looks like this all the time.
Its because cat5 cable is so common and easy to get in long segments. It has 8 perfectly good hook up wires running together, and they're always so nicely color coded. I find it particularly usefull running led's.

Useful for anything you might be running low power or signal wire for.
>>
>>60628023
You can safely ignore all posts calling someone else a "cuck". It's a dead giveaway for the person being 12 years old mentally.
>>
>>60628070
i usually just abuse whatever i can find, but i never gave any thought about the color coding in cat5 cables but you are right, have ever considered buying them in stock as "general purpose" cables for diy electronic stuff where you need to cover some distance ? giving it a quick thought it seems like a good idea
>>
>>60628082
Says the fucking cuck.
>>
Less 5 meter work fine with delay of 1 microseconds.
>>
It would need a booster every so many feet. High end extended length usb cables have them.
>>
>>60626802
I am an enterprise level system admin. Where I work, we have KVM over IP switches. Google it. KVM over IP is a KVM switch that uses Cat5 cables as kvm cables. The KVM signals, that's keyboard, video and mouse, use cat5 cables that connects to dongles at the end that convert the cat5 connection to VGA and 2 PS/2 connections. However, I'm pretty sure that there are also dongles with VGA and USB end connectors.

So, if cat5 is good enough for KVM, it will also do USB. Maybe not USB 3.0, but almost definitely USB 2.0.
>>
>>60627791
You would need some signal repeaters along the cat5 cable, depending on how long it is. But yes, it will work.
>>
>>60632195
At what point would you say a repeater would be needed? I plan for the cable to be ~15mt long
>>
>>60626966
where can i like your reply
>>
>>60626802
Nope. You need a positive and negative voltage across the twisted pairs if you want the distance advantage of cat5/6. I don't think USB has more than +5V and GND. I could be mistaken though.
>>
>>60626802
Yes, but it'll be real shit unless you get a real ethernet cable with 24awg copper conductors.

Any cheap ethernet cable you buy today will 99.99999999% chance be CCA or CCS, NOT Copper.
>>
>>60626802
I myself have made 12m long passive USB cables with ethernet cables... they work, but they lose some power, I guess.
>>
>>60626802
How long of a cable?
if its 2 feel then yes, if its >50 then no. There is a reason they sell usb cables with power injectors at the end.
>>
>>60626802 It is working up to 11m for usb2.
>>
>>60626802

It can be done.

At my place I live with my brother and we often play game sin the same room and he got tired of moving the PC so we use an iogear USB extender over CAT5 in my house (total length 25 feet) to use a keyboard and mouse several rooms over from the PC (as well as a 25 foot HDMI) and it has worked completely flawlessly for 2 years now.
>>
File: GUCE64_2.jpg (125KB, 1800x975px) Image search: [Google]
GUCE64_2.jpg
125KB, 1800x975px
>>60638258
>>60626802

I think I hit post too early and should have elaborated more. The idea of USB over Cat5 is doable I meant, that device I am not sure because it's relying on just USB power, you need good power external to maintain a signal over more than like 8 feet.

The iogear hub we use is pic related, each of the boxes on both ends are plugged into to mains power.
>>
>>60627791
>rj45
8p8c
>>
Somewhere between >>60626861 and
>>60626891.

like the first Anon said, wires are wired and if you connect them consistently then the data will get there. but as the second Anon hinted at, at certain lengths signal integrity will become an issue with non standard cables
>>
>>60632579
100 meters is the limit.

Finally that network+ cert is helping.
>>
File: 1496006795471.jpg (221KB, 1301x841px) Image search: [Google]
1496006795471.jpg
221KB, 1301x841px
>>60626802
tried that but its totally unreliable (like when putting a webcam on the end, pc sees cam but no video). got these instead. worked fine with a 100ft cat5.
>>
People tend to forget here that USB has ECC, it will work over ridiculous distances over a good cable, but we are talking even lower then RS-232 speeds in some cases.
>>
>>60626802
It's very likely that somebody uses it in some purpose-built integrated system solution where he doesn't need very fast transmission(think of CAN tier speeds or even less) so he does it slowly and steadily with these. Completely possible.
>>
>>60638859
Right, sorry
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.