[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have Cox internet (fios not available in my area), and they've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

I have Cox internet (fios not available in my area), and they've blocked my external ports and I'm no longer able to host anything. I was doing a Minecraft server, obviously not now.

I was talking to a guy at work who says if I VPN my connection then they can't block it out? I'm weak in networking but my thinking is if the external ports are outright blocked, then nothing can get through whether it's encrypted or not?

Second opinions / more information? I'm a networking newbie, most advanced thing I did was setup the linux box and iptables to accept external connections.
>>
Host on an allowed TCP port then? Port 80 is open unless you can't connect over http to any website.
>>
>>60623177
They've blocked all but the necessary stuff, and I didn't think I could host connections on port 80 or 443 or anything that was in use by something else?
>>
I don't know how far american isp are allowed to go but if all your ports are blocked, you shouldn't be able to use internet at all pretty much.
>>
>>60623265
Well from what I read about it they only leave ports open for essential stuff, but anything else is blocked. As far as "how far American ISP are allowed to go", pretty much they can do what ever they want to their customers, what little protections we have are currently being stripped by our FCC (Federal Communications Commission). It's quite shit but there isn't much we can do since they're all "private companies" and not government related.
>>
>>60623306
If they allow you to host a web server on port 80, they allow you to host a minecraft server on port 80. You just can't bind more than 1 server (as in program) to one port.
>>
>>60623325
Okay, I'll have to try then, but I don't have high hopes. My only chance so far is either the VPN thing if it has any weight to it, or trying to use 80.
>>
>>60623177
>>60623265
It is trivial to block incoming connections without blocking outgoing ones. It does not affect users ability to use other Internet services but makes it impossible for the user to host their own. In short op is a consumer but not provider.
tl;dr read a book

>>60623255
VPN will let your computer initiate the connection from your end and then encapsulate all incoming connections within the initial one. It would work if your VPN provider allows incoming connections but would slow down the connection as everything would have to go through the VPN server. Before you do this ask an IT person to check if you have any ports open. Maybe your ISP missed some. If not consider getting a hosting service for your server instead of VPN.
>>
>>60623358
Yeah, I've already called about the ports thing, I've been told they're all blocked.

I'm currently using a hosting service but jesus fuck they're terrible, I've been through five and they all suck. That's the part that sucks is that before they realized I was utilizing my ports and I could host, the server I hosted ran flawlessly for my friends and myself and quite a few are out of state.
>>
>>60623358
Oh come on, of course they could do anything. I'm assuming that they allow OP at least something, like normal providers do.
>>
just get a vps and use ssh port forwarding
>>
>>60623422
Bare minimum access to the internet, and with net neutrality getting ready to be wiped from the books, even that's going to come to an end in cases they don't approve of.

>hello big brother internet.

It's a shit sandwich of a situation but I am but a poor white guy.
>>
you got cox blocked
>>
>>60623048
http://m.cox.com/residential/support/internet/article.cox?articleId=cacf82f0-6407-11df-ccef-000000000000

Are you sure your router didnt get reset and your port forwarding settings got trashed?
>>
>>60623525
No, I've spent a week on this, port forwarding was never the issue. That list is trash though, all ports are blocked, I used a site to check if a port is open and went through about 70 of them and they were all blocked.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.