[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have been trying to get into programming for the past year,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 1486035579977.jpg (27KB, 546x636px) Image search: [Google]
1486035579977.jpg
27KB, 546x636px
I have been trying to get into programming for the past year, taking multiple courses. However, I can't seem to grasp any of the languages, particularly python.
>inb4 newfag
>inb4 wow python you cuck
Look, I'm shit at programming, but I want to know any really good ways at becoming a programmer. It's really just a hobby that I wanna get really good at so that I don't have to be a scriptkiddy anymore.
>>
>>60622280
If you can't grasp python there is no hope for you. I would suggest finding a new hobby.
>>
keep taking courses until you get gud, theres no magic to it
>>
http://web.cs.iastate.edu/~smkautz/

Starter course from Iowa State. CS227. You're welcome
>>
>>60622305
I know the very basics of python, like your whole return, if, or, except sort of stuff, but I always have to be referring to guides when I begin a project. I just can't grasp it. I don't wanna give it up because it's literally the future of the human race.
>>
>>60622390
Just have to keep practicing bud. That's how learning is for most people. Otherwise you'll forget stuff.
>>
>>60622280
time and effort
there's no arcane knowledge
>>
What are you trying to do in python that you're finding difficult?
>>
>>60622390
You'll feel like that for years, and never really notice any progress, despite progress being made. But eventually you'll reflect on it and realize you have progressed significantly.

A lot of people I know who work in tech still have to look shit up a lot.
>>
>>60622425
solving a 7x7 rubick's cube
>>
>>60622390
Other than keep practicing like >>60622410
and >>60622411 say, try just doing shit for fun so that you can learn how to do things, even if you don't know how to do it at first. Don't worry about looking shit up, worry about copy and pasting it without any idea what it actually does, because until you understand the why behind how things are done, you'll never really get the how.

Also, consider the fact that not everyone gets programming. I know of people who have been trying for a year and they couldn't tell me how to make a class or write to a file in a language if they had SO opened and their favorite language's creator next to them.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty okay at what I do in my area, but I'm fucking broke and unemployed thanks to poor life decisions coming back to haunt me/literal autism.
>>
>>60622280
Only about 40% of people can get programming, the 60% plebs will never get it. Never get an understanding for the logic behind it.

You might be part of the 60% which is why you will never learn to program, no matter how hard you try.

If you think BS google why cant programmers today code.
>>
>>60622280
What have you been trying to program exactly, anon?

Part of the problem could be that tutorials are boring as fuck so it's difficult to motivate yourself to concentrate properly.

Have you tried some basic projects in python? In my experience setting a goal and learning as you work towards is the best method.
>>
>>60622280
Python is not a good language for begginers. It teaches you bad habits and hides a lot of logic in gimicky features.

My first language was Python 3 years ago . My instructors teached it very badly and I was bad at it, thinking I shouldn't program. For 2 years I did only sysadmin stuff with minor scripting in powershell.

Then I discovered C# and it blew my mind how much more sense does it make compared to Python. I tried learning C# and Java by myself for a few months but I failed. I then took a 10 month Java course which I finished 1 month ago.

I now program in Java, node, android, client-side web, and Python, hoping to become a freelance developer. It changed my life.

Learn a serious language with a serious course if you find it difficult learning by yourself. Aftet that all shall be easy
>>
>>60622280
Don't treat it as a hobby
And pick a language that doesn't have that much remembering, people say java is really easy but its not if you are starting, it doesn't give you that concept grasping techniques, i suggest start with c++ i didn't study programming in my whole like but i started with c++ and it has some good aspects that can teach you basic concepts, it doesn't has that much remembering and everything is straight forward, except maybe pointers and operator over loading. Learn concepts syntax is just practicing combos in a fighting game which can easily be taken down after practicing little in practice mode, but combos alone won't win you games.
>>
>>60622390
I'm an engineer.

Imagine someone designing a building with no books or things to look up.

Sounds dangerous. No one tries to design a building or a car or some other shit without referring to guides and previous projects.
>>
>>60622280
Python uses code formatting as syntax, which can be extremely hard to grasp for beginners.

Just try java/C# if you're a newb.
>>
>>60622458
This is some really good advice, not just for programmimg but for a lot of things in general
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.