[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cassette tape storage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Commodore-Datassette[1].jpg (347KB, 1266x1032px) Image search: [Google]
Commodore-Datassette[1].jpg
347KB, 1266x1032px
In a thread a couple of hours ago, some anon mentioned recording data to a cassette tape using a recorder, line in on a PC, and FLDIGI.
How would I go about doing this? Is there a better program? Do I need type 2 chrome tapes or will regular metal oxide be good enough?
Pic somewhat related.
>>
Link to mentioned thread?
>>
LOAD "*",8,1
>>
>>60617400
>>60609373
>>
i'd imagine the better the tape quality, the more data you're going to be able to get onto it without becoming unreadable
>>
bump for int
>>
>>60617203
VHS storage was a thing back in the Amiga days.
>>
>>60617428
That would load from disk. ,8 was the first disk and ,1 was to load into memory based on the file which you'd use for most commercial disks as the copy protection demanded it or it was binary machine language.
>>
>>60617203
In the day, we used regular tapes. You'd have to somehow push program data serially through your audio card and back again as it was recorded as an audio signal, like a modem.
Sounded much like a modem after they had trained up if I recall right.
>>
File: just fucking google it.jpg (119KB, 787x830px) Image search: [Google]
just fucking google it.jpg
119KB, 787x830px
Google, nerd.
I'll spoonfeed you just because your thread is slightly better than yet another phone thread or something.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Storing-files-on-an-audio-cassette/
>>
>>60619149
>http://www.instructables.com/id/Storing-files-on-an-audio-cassette/
That's cool. I had a hardware accelerator board called a VIC Rabbit that did some kind of compression. Wonder if FLAC could assist on the audio this way.
>>
>>60619240
There was an old ass IBM PC with a tape drive at my school. I wish I had pilfered it before I left. It's probably rusting in a scrap heap somewhere now ;_;
>>
Maybe recording to a VHS tape instead of a cassette tape would be a better idea - higher fidelity audio, longer tape length, higher bandwidth.
There was this Russian card some years ago that did this (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArVid), and >>60619088 mentions the Amiga thing, so maybe I could record files made with >>60619149 's link?
>>
>>60619783
but why? USB sticks are cheap. Can you even buy audio or VHS tape anymore?
>>
>>60617203
Anyhow, any tape works. They may not last as long as you want them to last.

This is tech from my childhood. You don't want to live here anymore. Emulate the games instead.
>>
>>60619824
It's a fun little experiment. Anyone can get massive external hard drives or even flash drives and use them, but it actually takes some effort to use this old tech with a modern PC.
>>
>>60619945
>They may not last as long as you want them to last.
That's what your wife says about you boomer
>>
>>60617203
fldigi can use many modulators/demodulators used in radio transmissions for data. you can also usea program called minimodem which works the same as the old "internet" modems. you can record the audio to a tape and play it back to demod later. both fldigi and minimodem do realtime demodulation from soundcard. you can store images in sstv as well.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.