[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Using Floppy Disks Again

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: floppy.jpg (17KB, 355x209px) Image search: [Google]
floppy.jpg
17KB, 355x209px
Anyone here know how to build a Floppy disk reader?
Or start an opensource floppy disk project, I don't really care except that I want to use some old hd ones I found the other day.
>>
Buy an external floppy drive
>>
But why?

(You can still find old PCs with floppy reader)
>>
>>60609373

I have a USB floppy drive you can have if it will help cure your autism. Bought it like 8 years ago to recover some old data and haven't used it since.
>>
Just buy one, they're about $10.
>>
apt-get install mtools
>>
>>60609412
I want to bring back smaller computers for learning.
plus if I build it myself I get to feel accomplished like it means something
>>
>>60609491
But what software do I use for that?
>>
Floppys? What are you, 12?

Nigga I push data through a custom made ruby script that generates 16QAM audio that I record onto a cassette. Thats 6mb my dude, and I throw a shit load of parity checks in it too.
>>
>>60609373
Reading 3.5" floppies is embarrassingly easy and requires little effort. The fact you even had to ask makes you a fucking cunt.

5.25" floppies on the other hand... that's a real challenge. At least amuse us next time around you lazy fucking waste of space.
>>
>>60609373
Oldfag here. Just don't if you don't want to ruin the disks.

When I was a kid in the early 90's, there was this clever trick on how to turn a 720 KB DD into a 1.4 MB HD. You simply drilled another hole in it so that the second reader arm could reach it. I think that I saw some disk where someone had used that trick. I talked with my father about it and he said just no. You don't fuck up a whole computer just to save a buck. So I didn't.

You see, a DD isn't a neutered HD. The properties are totally different. If you use a DD as a HD with this trick, there may be data loss.

Then there's the electrical motor. It's high precision and if you want to build a celestial tracker for stellar photos, you may scavenge one from an old disk drive. But to find one off the shelf? Tell me about it.

If you're an electrical engineer, then goodspeed to you. But if you're an amateur. Just fuggeddaboutid!
>>
>>60609697
I want the challenge,,,of BUILDING IT MYSELF!!!!!!!!
Plus I don't have moneys, so even ten bucks is hard to part with
>>60609676
That. Is. leet.
you liar.
>>
>>60609660
Do you mean you want to refurbish old computers? Otherwise just get a Raspberry Pi or an Arduino like everyone else.
>>
>>60609827
>>>/reddit/
>>
Buy a cheap usb floppy reader.

Or if you want something more niche, get something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqLv8d-W-9c&t=614s
>>
>>60609827
>I want the challenge,,,of BUILDING IT MYSELF!!!!!!!!
>Plus I don't have moneys, so even ten bucks is hard to part with
Oh, you are going to have to spend much more than 10 bucks if you want to do a lot of things by yourself.
>>
>>60609872
I mean I have some floppies because my grandfather randomly let me have them, and now I want to use them.
I'd be fine with either of those, but>>60609827
(no money)
I was thinking of using Arduino for this anyway.
>>
>>60609896
(looks left)
(looks right)
I have a broken arduino and some breadboard stuff
don't tell anyone
>>
>>60609896
>>60609964
plus I want to get hands on experience with hardware.
>>
>>60609827
>>>60609676 (You)
>That. Is. leet.
>you liar.
If you are a total lazyboy, you can just plug your line-out into the mic of your cassette HiFi, represent your data as something like Base64, then parse the massive wall-of-text into fldigi. Then, hit Tx with a phatty QAM/OFDM mode set and you are blasting data-as-audio into a recording HiFi.

tldr: fldigi can do it even easier if you route audio lineout > hifi > cassette
>>
>>60609670
Most come with drivers on a CD, or with instructions for where to get them.
>>
>>60610059
I believe most USB floppy drives are plug n play.
>>
>>60610013
I've wondered how much data you could store on a cassette if you modified a tape recorder to handle digital signals. Like if you bypassed all the audio processing stuff and controlled the electromagnet coil like those expensive tape backup machines. 6MB is kind of disappointing but I guess using your method you limited to 20kHz bandwidth.
>>
>>60610254
The most I ever stored reliably (i.e. Could be retrieved with little error) was about 6mb over 2 sides. I believe I used QPSK when I achieved that, and with compression of the initial input data, you can cram a lot more in there relatively.

The old Commodore Dataset modulation schema was 100 kByte per 30 minute side, and it was a very primitive Phase Modulation.
>>
File: troll.jpg (33KB, 400x200px) Image search: [Google]
troll.jpg
33KB, 400x200px
>>60609373
1.44meg??? i cant even put the JPG of me fucking your mom on that
>>
>>60610013
To add onto that, look into ways you can MOdulated and DEModulate your data.
>>
>>60610594
You can fit a lot of code on that, though
>>
>>60610128
I believe you're right anon
>>
lol, ain't seen a floppy disk or drive for a long time. Bout the only use for them now days is to load storage controller drivers during XP/2000 setup phase. But since Vista all you need now is a usb stick so yeah, really no need anymore for floppy.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.