[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need a new phone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 5

File: nexus.jpg (77KB, 635x600px) Image search: [Google]
nexus.jpg
77KB, 635x600px
So, my Nexus 6P has the early shutdown problem and I am getting the money back from the retailer. The problem is I kind of think that every phone sucks. I need the following features (I may have forgotten a few):

>GOOD screen (amoled, WQHD)
>good battery life
>close to stock android
>plenty of RAM (atleast 4, preferably more. I want more than was in nexus 6p)
>if not stock android then ACTUALLY AS SMOOTH

Bonuses:
>waterproof
>good custom rom scene
>>
Moto Z Play
>>
any reason you'd object to an unlocked S8? as someone who just got one for work and also owns pixel (personal phone) I'm pretty happy with the S8.

(I wouldn't have minded getting a second pixel, but work likes Samsung KNOX, so samsung devices are all we get to pick from.)
>>
Also forgot: Fingerprint scanner is a must, bonus if on the back of the phone.
>>
OnePlus 3T
Moto Z
HTC 10
>>
>>60593796
I did not like the software, it was simply not as smooth as Nexus 6P I had with me. Of course I could give it another try when I visit the retailer again. Also, I can wait for a few months and just be with my good old Nexus 5. It is kinda sluggish though (francos+lineage14.1).
>>
>>60593812
if you want stock android and can afford to wait, at this point the pixel has been out for seven months, so it's a little long in the tooth to purchase as a device you intend to use for the next two years (unless you can get a really good deal on it). Google has been getting into custom SoC development, people don't know if it pertains to the Pixel 2 (speculation runs rampant) but if it does and they finally get rid of qualcomm processors then you can expect a stock android device that will get updates for more than two years (Qualcomm determines when driver support for their SoC ends).
>>
>>60593809
>OnePlus 3T
Did not like the screen and the UI is sluggish on my friends phone.

>Moto Z
Maybe, it has worse camera than Nexus 6P though.

>HTC 10
I am considering HTC U11, but we'll see. It is very expensive and software might suck, havent tried it yet.

Also bonus if display is 5"+-3".
>>
>>60593836

This sounds really interesting, might just wait for Pixel 2. 2016 Pixel is too thick imo.
>>
Google Pixel XL
>>
>>60593850
Correction, 0.3"
>>
>>60593861
at this point nobody knows much on the pixel 2. it's speculated that since google will have had an appropriate development timeline for it, it should have a much better design (waterproof, non-ugly bezels, etc.)... the pixel 1 was basically a rush job after Huawei said they weren't going to make the pixel and google had to scramble to HTC.

there are rumors that the pixel 2 has been benchmarked at 1.9ghz which would likely be a snapdragon 835. speculation on a custom SOC for the pixel 2 or 3 remains rampant (google has been hiring people for soc development for years, and in the last year, for SOCs with robus multimedia capabilities). even if it ships with a qualcomm processor it should be a great phone, the exciting part of custom silicon would be throwing the gauntlet down on providing more software support for android than the length of the installment plans people get on them.

the negative rumor is that Pixel 2 may drop the headphone jack. they really advertised the shit out of having one on the pixel one so I think this rumor is bogus.
>>
>>60593788
Every phones a shit. Get a cheap chinkshit with IPS that has root/custom ROM support.
>>
>>60594025
But I want amoled... I already have something that is comparable to your description and it is my old Nexus 5 which I am currently using.
>>
Just get an iPhone you fucking cuck and realize that it's just a phone, nerd. This laundry list of shit that it """"needs"""" to do is hilarious. Why the fuck do you care so much about a device to text friends and receive nudes.
>>
>>60593917
>they advertised the shit out of it

Yeah, as if Android manufactures don't have a running history of mocking Apple and then copying them next year.

>iDon't have a removable battery
>All droids are sealed in

>iDon't have extendable storage
>All manufactures tried to get away with no SD card slot

>wireless charging
>ended up removing it

Like ?????
>>
>>60594055
>implying you receive nudes

>>60593788
Look into the Galaxy A series. Particularly the A7
>>
>>60594055
>Just get an iPhone you fucking cuck and realize that it's just a phone, nerd. This laundry list of shit that it """"needs"""" to do is hilarious. Why the fuck do you care so much about a device to text friends and receive nudes.

That is EXACTLY why I need my phone to be tailored to me. It is with me all the time and among my most used devices. I want it to be as perfect as it can be. iPhone is also taken into consideration but the limitations irritate me. Especially the lack of a proper file browser. Things I like about an iPhone though is the smoothness of the UI. So far only Nexus lineup has been comparable.
>>
>>60594046
So you don't really need a new phone at all and are just a mindless consumer whore
>>
>>60594092
Hmmh, I am actually looking at a Galaxy A5 (2017) and like it so far. I am kind of still inclined to get a Pixel 2 since >>60593917 made it sound so good.
>>
>>60594116
>Especially the lack of a proper file browser.

It's a fucking phone, you autistic little shit. Why the fuck do you need a file browser on your phone?
>>
>>60594167
Because the iPhone treats users like children. Have something important that isn't a picture? Go fuck yourself.

I have my client docs synced so I can pull up my customer's support contract, or a master/install/admin guide for a particular product, or Business Process Procedures, or architecture diagrams. iPhone doesn't let me do any of this flexibly.

t. Just switched to a Galaxy S8 after owning iPhone 4S/iPhone 5S/iPhone 6 over the past five years.
>>
>>60594167
I said earlier that iPhone is also taken into consideration. Proper file browser just makes some tasks much easier to manage. I do not necessarily need it. Also reasons >>60594192 posted.
>>
>>60594192
If you seriously needed a filemanager, than you needed GoodReader this whole time which solves all your complaints.

But, I really want to stress the fact that this is a fucking phone. Apple doesn't treat their customers like babies, they limit the device because they don't want it pretending to be something else and fail miserably at it. Why do you think iPhones get the same battery life as Androids while having half the battery life, or better performance with shittier SoCs and less RAM?

Because iOS is a mobile operating system that focuses only on the essentials of a phone. Sure, Android can picture-in-picture while multiwindowing and torrenting in the background. But why the fuck does a phone need to do any of that? It's a waste of battery life and performance. Why don't you have a file browser? Because Apple implemented proper sandboxing and realized that 99% of the population doesn't give a fuck about file management on a phone.
>>
>>60594192
>Have something important that isn't a picture?

Exactly. When I went to Iceland. I wasn't able to bring along a PC. But I was easily able to manage my boarding passes, train tickets, and other tickets because of the file manager. I'm the only one with Android in my family and no one else was able to get their tickets n crap on their phone. If it want for me, well...
>>
>>60594247
>But I was easily able to manage my boarding passes, train tickets, and other tickets because of the file manager.

Apple's had Wallet for years now. If your friends were too retarded to figure out how to import passes into Wallet then that's not Apple's fault.
>>
>>60594046
>But I want amoled

Every phones a shit. Get a cheap chinkshit with "AMOLED" that has root/custom ROM support.
>>
>>60593788
Lg V20 has been great for me since I got it last year. It's not waterproof but battery is removable and the screen quality is very nice. Not sure about custom ROMs though since I haven't had much need to switch such things around yet.
>>
>>60593788
OP3T or wait for OP5
>>
>>60594283
Too big, I was actually trying to get a smaller phone a la Nexus 5 size.

>>60594341
OP5 sounds interesting, might wait for that.
>>
>>60594241
Yeah that's why Apple has always marketed their iPhones as the ultimate creation tool. Because they only care about the essentials of a phone

https://youtu.be/XBfk1TIWptI
https://youtu.be/r8mR33cp_Fk
https://youtu.be/R27KHLQ0cIU
>>
>>60594259
>Apple's had Wallet for years now.
It would be nice if it actually worked and recognized train, soccer, and plane tickets through a PDF and not a special file that you have to use for wallet
>>
>>60594416
>video about text messaging stickers
>video about using the camera built into your phone
>video about using the camera built into your phone

Yeah, what's wrong with this? These are the normal phone features. It was only until last generation or so did Androids catch up with iPhone camera quality. Now it's down to tastes and what you want in your photo (accurate vs. vivid)

>>60594495
Then use GoodReader. Holy fuck.
>>
>>60593788
Xperia XZs.
>>
>>60594544
Those aren't even all the features they market. They show off their camera, how fast their processor is built for games, "there's an app for that", etc. The point is they don't care about telephony anymore. Smartphones are more than just calling and texting. Especially iPhone
>>
>>60594544
>Then use GoodReader. Holy fuck.

Or I could just open it really easily in a file manager
>>
>>60594678
GoodReader is a file manager you fucking mong. You can even Samba/AFP mount it on your desktop wirelessly.
>>
Buy a Mi5s, they're really affordable now since release of mi6
>>
>>60594678
>>60594756
>>
File: image.jpg (435KB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
435KB, 1242x2208px
>>60594812
>>
>>60594756
Ok bud. My bad. I didn't know what it was.

But ya still can't modify system files I assume
>>
>>60594894
>>>>>MOVING THE GOALPOSTS THIS FUCKING HARD

You can't edit Android system files without root. Same goes for iOS.
>>
>>60595041
Ya. I find rooting my Android phone a lot easier than when I used to jailbreak my iphone
>>
>>60595110
Holy fucking christ you're insufferable. 90% of the Android phones on the market sold by carriers have locked bootloaders and you can't even root them. Jailbreaking is just waiting for an exploit and then restoring with a .ipsw.

We can sit here and go tit-for-tat all year long, but I can already tell you just refuse to accept that while iOS and Android accomplish things differently, they accomplish the same things.

>hurrr why can't I jailbreak my iphone with fastboot oem unlock and adb push root.zip IOS IS DUMBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
>>
>>60595140
I've been looking at the jailbreak community recently. It's been going to shit. The devs are bitching about the community and I'm just happy I don't have to deal with that and I can upgrade/downgrade freely and run newer version of Android just fine on my phone that isn't officially supported and have it run just fine.
>>
>>60595213
>run newer version of Android just fine on my phone that isn't officially supported and have it run just fine.

Yeah man, enjoy nEoN_CoR3 77 with the latest HEXAMAN kernel, both written by Pajeet.

WHAT WORKS:
screen
accelerometer
hardware buttons

WHAT DOESN'T WORK:
cell service
wifi
camera
idk you tell me XD

IF YOU LIKE MY WORK PLEASE DONATE! SEND MONEY TO [email protected]
>>
>>60593788
iPhone 7 Plus
>>
>>60594241
>Android can picture-in-picture while multiwindowing and torrenting in the background
if you can do that you can also just use a handful of good essential apps for essential things and it would not eat a shit ton of ram and processing power while only costing a fraction of what iphone costs

you're making the case as though iphone were the cheaper option and somehow consumers were paying more for un-needed options with android. But the fact that you say that iphone is a inferior hardware with just a handful of closed supported software support, only further proves that it's a waste of money.
>>
File: clarkson.jpg (102KB, 337x367px) Image search: [Google]
clarkson.jpg
102KB, 337x367px
>>60595332
>iPhone
>inferior hardware
>>
>>60595286
Have you heard of lineage OS. Supported on lots of devices. Runs absolutely great
>>
>>60593798
Good goy. Please give us your finger print.
>>
>>60595332
Once again, you're reminded that there's a lot more to a device than pure specs.

And desu I like my phone OS to be more locked down. I've been using Android and iOS together since the iPhone 1 and HTC G1. It's infuriating that the only thing Google prevents is networking on the main thread. Otherwise shit app developers are free to fuck up Android however they wish. I don't want some Pajeet app constantly fetching my location in the background to sell me advertisements in my notification shade. The pure fact that Google even allowed that notifier ad system to exist is fucking bullshit.

Apple takes a lot more restrictive approach. When an app closes out, the developer needs to properly respond with saving state etc. etc. the permission system is well done and not some wanky afterthought as it is on Android. This provides a much better experience. Again, like I said earlier. It's a fucking phone, not a mobile desktop replacement. I don't need 15 apps to run in the background simultaneously while torrenting. I just need the phone to focus on what I'm doing at the time.

Google Play Services is the worst of them all. Wake locks, consistently sending shit back to Google (idc that it contacts Google, I just care that it seems to do it every second)
>>
>>60593788
>people actually fucking falling for the QHD screens on phones
I'm actually triggered
>>
>>60595373
Yeah, I threw it on my Galaxy Note 10.1 and it runs like absolute dogshit. The fucking setup screen crashed 3 times just as I was trying to input my WiFi password.

"""""Runs absolutely great"""""

Yeah, I guess when the device actually boots that's considered "runs absolutely great". Such masochistic desires from your technology.
>>
>>60595450
fucking this. Even 1080p is nearing meme-tier ppi, let alone QHD.
>>
>>60593850
>The UI was sluggish on my friends phone.

You mean the launcher? Was he using Nova? I use Nova, and it is waaaaaayyy snappier than my shitty old Galaxy S7.
>>
>>60594046

Why? It only makes a difference in sun light anon.
>>
OP on phone, what does /g/ think of the upcoming Nokia 9? Seems interesting to me.
>>
>>60595740
>You mean the launcher?
No. Nobody here is THIS retarded.
>>
>>60595789
I actually just appreciate a great display like I appreciate a greatly refined UI experience.
>>
>>60595456
And nougat runs great on my friends Nexus 4 from 2012
>>
>>60594135
Oh careful on that edge, pussy ;)
>>
>>60595849
Glad to hear it still boots, sad to hear you need third parties to still support your devices, though.

t. iPhone 5 user with iOS 10.
>>
>>60595874
And guess what. You can't keep that updated after it becomes unsupported
>>
>>60595450
QHD on a phone is fucking glorious
>>
>>60595950
Yeah, and neither can you unless you use a third party. You get my fucking point? 3rd party roms are shit, even LineageOS. You're bragging about being able to upgrade your phone to an OS literally written by a Pajeet.

I guess you can brag about that if you want but most people realize you're just fucking nuts.
>>
>>60596024
And guess what. I'm fine with using my phone the way I want to
>>
>>60596101
Holy fuck we've come full circle I can't believe it.

>I'm fine with using my phone the way I want to

How about letting iPhone users do the same?
>>
File: iphone7-model-select-201703.png (60KB, 212x293px) Image search: [Google]
iphone7-model-select-201703.png
60KB, 212x293px
OP is nearly ready to ascend to the iPhone.

This happens to most people. You come to realize that every Android phone is going to slow down over time, not get updates, provide a less than satisfactory experience.

Some realize sooner than others.

Some start by forgoing widgets and gimmick features and just putting their most-used apps on the main screen.

OP, you can ascend now, or you can later when the next Android phone you buy starts to slow down and you think "Will the next Android phone be different?"
>>
>>60596124
Apple doesn't let them. Simple.
>>
>>60596124
We were talking about file managers and then custom ROMs bud ༼ つ _ ༽つ
>>
>>60596191
Literally me.

HTC G1 -> Motorola Droid -> Droid Bionic -> Galaxy Nexus -> Note 3 -> Moto X PE -> Nexus 6P

Just fucking gave up. I used the OG iPhone when it first came out and decided it wasn't for me. Then I said fuck it, I'm buying the iPhone 7 Plus and no regrets since. I don't want the freedom and stupid bullshit Android offers as "features" at the expense of battery life, performance, and my privacy.

I pick my iPhone up and I know it'll respond exactly as I want. No "ah fuck do I need to do a battery pull" like I had to do on my Note 3. Or the random as fuck slowdowns when Pajeet's app decides it wants to refresh data.
>>
>>60596307
>༼ つ _ ༽つ

Fuck off back to Twitch.
>>
>>60596330
>bought some of the worst phones of their corresponding generations
>got the worst gen of iPhone
Coincidence? Or genetics?
>>
>>60593788
>stock Android
>good screen
>decent battery life
>4GB ram

The answer to your question is Pixel XL. Google's support is actually decent too.

If you're willing to get a 1080p screen, then you should wait for the OP5 and pay a few hundred bux less than a Pixel XL.
>>
>>60596401
Unless things have drastically changed with the Pixel, I had issues with my 5X and 6P and Google told me to rightly fuck off and deal with it with Hauwei and LG. And LG told me to fuck off and have Google deal with it.

Needless to say I actually threw the phone in the trash and bought the iPhone.
>>
>>60596396

The problem with Android is it's impossible to know whether you got the worst option until the problems crop up later. HTC G1, Moto Droid, Note 3, and Nexus 6P were supposedly great options at the time.

Meanwhile, every iPhone meets an excellent minimum standard of quality so you don't have to worry about whether the phone will turn to shit soon.
>>
>>60596438
Are you >>60596330 ? Because I'm seeing a pattern here?
>>
>>60596518
Every iPhone past 3 had some bullshit issue. "you are holding it wrong", bending, etc.
>>
>>60595830
Lol. Good one mate! You really showed him!
>>
>>60596438
I used a Nexus 5 from launch until just recently. Also had a Nexus 7 tablet and used it for a couple years. My N5 stopped charging and my N7 had some other problem that I can't recall, and Google sent a replacement pretty quickly.
>>
>>60596438
Pixel is google's own phone. Nexus devices are not.

That's like going to Blackberry and demanding they fix your Mercedes because they provided software for the infotainment system.
>>
>>60596330
Your last Android phone was cheap chinkshit garbage. If you actually bought a good phone, maybe you'd realize that you can get a high quality Android experience.
>>
>>60596603
What Android phone was any good that year? You're telling me that the top-end Nexus phone was "garbage"? The Nexus 5x was worse.

Android users keep buying bad phones, then accuse other people of being idiots for buying bad phones, then buy the next bad phones and hope they'll be better.
>>
>>60597145
Every phone with sd810 was trash, and yes, 5x somehow managed to be even worse. Actually it was safe to skip that year altogether - Nexus 5 was better than both of these phones.
>>
>>60597145
>Android users keep buying bad phones
Stop projecting and be less salty.
>>
>>60593788
any oneplus with lineageos.
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.