[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 392
Thread images: 54

File: esqueteh.png (13KB, 767x767px) Image search: [Google]
esqueteh.png
13KB, 767x767px
or /QTDDTOT/ - Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread(s)

ALWAYS GOOGLE BEFORE YOU ASK. Takes less than 5 seconds!

>Post your unbelievably stupid, dumb or short questions here in this thread.

>Also go through the thread to answer any questions that you may know an answer to.

Previous thread - >>60580410

Have a nice day.
>>
So 2 things I need help with
1. I'm trying to watch shit on youtube and all that happens is constant buffering. I'm on mac serria and I tried 1 solution out by blocking 2 IPs but I had to do it through my router settings, now I don't know if this worked but I'm testing it now. There was suppose to be a way to do it through terminal however the issue was that when I tried to do that, it told me that ipfw does not exist. Some people even said the same thing like it was completely removed from the system. Any help?

2. Why the hell when I type in the status box on facebook my words literally take up to 10 seconds to appear? Sometimes it happens at random on other sites like here... Help?
>>
I noticed that Parabola GNU/Linux-libre repos have openrc package.
Would I break my system if I simply removed systemd and other related packages and installed openrc?
How safe is it?
>>
Asking again
>>60591065
>>
Should I run a VM in Windows of Linux or run a VM in Linux of Windows? I want to run both at the same time.
>>
>>60591534
I would say run Linux in VM on windows because you're going to essentially regret the other way around if you're any sort of PC gamer. Too many issues to work with and you don't want to install shit constantly through wine or playonlinux.

Linux is cool and all but it over time gets boring and pointless when you realize you're way more limited than most OS'
>>
Which is more secure:
TKIP, AES, or TKIP/AES?
>>60591534
It pretty much depends on what you need. Use OS where performance is critical as a host, for example if you play gaymes install GNU/Linux VM on Windows, if you're developer install Windows VM on GNU/Linux.
>>
File: Screenshot 2017-05-26 02.13.37.png (17KB, 429x375px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2017-05-26 02.13.37.png
17KB, 429x375px
Any reason why I shouldn't just install all the Windows features? Why leave any of them disabled? Assuming I have the space and performance to handle anything serious.
>>
>>60591617
.NET 3.5 is required by some programs and games to run.
Most other features are not really needed, though; you can safely disable IE11 and WMP if you already have something else to browse the internet and play audio/video files.
>>
File: 1411369464323.jpg (9KB, 222x260px) Image search: [Google]
1411369464323.jpg
9KB, 222x260px
I just posted this on /wsr/, but here goes nothing:

So I'll travel overseas again. The last time I did it, I brought my notebook with me and I couldn't connect to the hotel's wifi due to conflicting country codes. Whenever I google it, people often talk about macbooks, which mine is not. It's a Lenovo running windows.

This is the wireless adapter it has on:

Intel Centrino Wireless-N 135 BGN 1x1 HMC WiFi/Bluetooth Adapter

Can anyone tell me how to get my notebook to connect in a different region wifi? I'm sort of illiterate, but I can provide more info to help identify the issue.
>>
>>60591754
also, apparently for macbooks, there's a way to patch the network card driver using a hex editor so it can read another country's wifi.
>>
>>60591617
Generally you don't want anything installed on your computer that you aren't going to use. More shit installed means more that can go wrong.
>>
How do I monitor my Windows 7 install for any file changes in an easily readable way? Literally all the changes. At the very least, just timestamps, but hopefully more info, like what program initiated the change or something. I have a 900+ game Steam library I want to let my roommate play on a Steam Link, but I'm also paranoid that someone else will manage to fuck up my computer. Trust but verify, ya'know?
>>
>>60591617
Most of them are useless anyway, and its just a waste of space to have shit installed that you'll never use.
>>
What's the name of the windows activator that actually works and isn't loaded with viruses and malware and shit?

I swore it was windows loader but apparently that's just loaded with viruses and malware and shit.
>>
>>60592552
Either it's Microsoft Toolkit or KMSPico.
Just don't download any of them from a shady site such as totalpc4u-nomalwarezinhere.com
>>
>>60592552
With sites like TWED and Kinguin selling Windows keys for so cheap (I got my Windows 10 Home key for like 12GBP), you may as well just spend a bit.
>>
why aren't we working to convert our consciousness into a robot body so we become immortal yet?
>>
prepare for the real stupid question: i ordered an m2 ssd and all i have to do is to plug it into the motherboard and screw it in, right? do i need to plug something from psu to mobo for it to work?
>>
>>60592688
plug ur dick in see what happens for science
>>
>>60592577
I finally wound up remembering it being daz loader last time I did a windows install. Should I just go with that or try using either of what you suggested?
>>
>>>/asp/.net
>>
>>60592695
Never heard of Daz loader, but if it works for you, then I don't see why not use it.

In case it doesn't, you have two more alternatives, just download them from MDL forums or a TPB mirror or something.
>>
What is a NAS and how do i build one?
>>
I have been using legacy boot on my desktops instead of uefi for years now, should I bother using uefi instead or is it just boot shenanigans? After the os is running it's the same performance wise right?
>>
>>60592688
Yes, you insert it and screw it in.
Your motherboard and OS will take care of the rest.
>>
>>60592801
It wont affect performance at all, and based in the OS it wont even let you boot.
>>
>>60592804
thank you very much
>>
>>60592814
I think windows runs both hence my concern, I have stumbled upon this doubt after yesterday running memtest and uefi booted v7 and legacy booted v4. The next time I reinstall windows it isn't worth spending time figuring out uefi right?
>>
is clamav safe?
>>
>>60591564
AES only unless you've got old devices that absolutely need TKIP, which is now considered vulnerable.
>>
>>60592794
A computer attached to a network providing file storage.

You get a computer, attach whatever storage you want, run whatever network file service you want.
>>
File: regexcheatsheet.png (222KB, 1240x1754px) Image search: [Google]
regexcheatsheet.png
222KB, 1240x1754px
>>60591299
I need recommendations for a mouse and there isn't a mouse general, surprisingly enough.

>Wired or wireless
>~$40
>no gaymer mice
>big hands

Have an infographic on regular expressions as payment
>>
How's Windows 10 LTSB in terms of privacy?
Is it as bad as other Windows 10 branches or is it as bad as Windows 7?
>>
File: MadReporter.gif (2MB, 324x235px) Image search: [Google]
MadReporter.gif
2MB, 324x235px
/g/, how do you get shit done? I have several projects I want to work on but I just play vidya all day and then feel sad for myself in bed.
>>
I want to install Linux on my other HDD , but I heard using grub is shit. Is it possible to dual boot just using the bios?
>>
File: 1374813264025.jpg (36KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1374813264025.jpg
36KB, 500x500px
What'a a decent Firefox add-on VPN that isn't laced to the gills with Spyware/Adware/Malware? I only need it to create an account and login to a foreign game, so it'll only be used like 1-2 times a day, so I don't really want to pay for a real VPN.
>>
Why can't google tell I'm on google.com? It's always asking me if I want to make it my homepage, which it already is.
>>
Anyone know some good ubuntu music player that will have working shuffle and won't play same 100 songs from those bazillion i got.
>>
Should I wait for 1170 or just pick up at 1070 today?
>>
What's the worst an attacker could do to a LAN when he has control over one computer in it? Assuming all computers run updated windows and no crazy precautions have been taken.
>>
good free/piratable video app besides mx player?

had mx player pro before (pirated i believe, since its asking me to pay now after having phone wiped for repair) but now downloading pro is hit with a contacts check so thats not an option
>>
>>60593434
>but I heard using grub is shit. Is it possible to dual boot just using the bios?

Go back to windows or get a mac I heard they just work.
>>
>>60593302
It has visible options to disable telemetry, automatic updates, store, non-security updates etc.

Some options are in the new control panel, others can be found in the policy editor.
>>
File: BYJyayc.jpg (153KB, 709x1024px) Image search: [Google]
BYJyayc.jpg
153KB, 709x1024px
>>60591299
What's the best linux/debian server monitoring software / service (load, network, nginx data, the more the better), that is easy to use and easy to install, preferably without any recent 0days, exploits etc.

I have found netdata.io since last /sqt/ - it seems perfect, but it doesn't save any data besides 1 day, I would love to have something where I could look back a week or month of data.
>>
>>60594098
nagios
>>
>>60592421
For your case, Steam Family Library Sharing is a better option.

basically, from his computer and his own steam account he has access to game licenses you own (as long as you don't play with that game)
>>
>>60591345
Yes, it would cause problems. Since parabola is based on Arch, consult the Arch wiki about how to safely switch from memed to openrc.
>>
Is it better to encrypt a VM with the virtualbox encryption or with the guest OS encryption?
>>
>>60594114
maybe something that looks less 1975
>>
>>60594146
Nah, he has a shitty computer and enjoys playing on consoles more than PCs, but a good plan otherwise.
>>
What are the differences between all those USB ports on my ASUS prebuilt PC?

In the front I have one labeled
>SS(USB symbol)
and one labeled
>SS(USB symbol)(Lighting symbol)
In the back I have two labeled
>SS(USB symbol)
one labeled
>SS(USB symbol)10
and a much smaller slot also labeled
>SS(USB symbol)10
>>
Is it worth paying $15 more for a router with openwrt support over a same spec router without openwrt support?
>>
I'm looking for a good email service provider.
Requirements:
- Not US based
- Cares about privacy
- Free
- IMAP support
- Custom domain would be nice
I've stumbled across openmailbox.org, autistici.org and yandex.mail. What do you suggest?
>>
>>60594545
i don't know about imap support, i use pop3.
last time i checked autistici required you to be invited to make an account.
openmailbox has occasional downtimes.
yandex is russian botnet, but still better than google or hotmail or whatever.
can't really go wrong with either one of these 3. protonmail is also regularly mentioned on /g/, but i know nothing about them.
>>
>>60594475
>$15 for the ability to run a non-botnet, open, free, extensible, upgradeable fw on your router

hell yes, go for it.
>>
>>60594005
pls
>>
>>60594753
vlc
>>
>>60594734
So what email service provider do you recommend for pop3?
About Yandex: I'd rather not be part of the Russian botnet, but as a Western European it's safer than Gmail.
>>
>>60594826
i use openmailbox and i just checked, they support imap as well.
>>
What GPUs can I get that are compatible with this board? I have a G3220. I want to get a graphics card but I don't know which ones will work with this board.

http://www.powerspec.com/systems/system_components.phtml?component=2244&selection=B648
>>
>>60594840
Thanks senpai. I'll give openmailbox a try.
I'm currently using Tutanota, but I don't like web UIs. This rules out Protonmail too.
>>
I'm implementing a REST webapi and am confused on the structure and retrieving items by id.

Let's say it looks like this:
Town -> House -> Persons

To get All towns I would do something like:
localhost/api/v0/towns

To get a specific town:
localhost/api/v0/towns/{townId}

Now to get all houses:
localhost/api/v0/towns/{townId}/houses

Now, I don't understand how to implement getting a house by given id:
localhost/api/v0/towns/{townId}/houses/{houseId}

The given townId now doesn't make any sense. Is it ok to just pass an arbitary "0" to it?
localhost/api/v0/towns/0/houses/1

Or shall I make a route like without townid?
localhost/api/v0/towns/houses/1
>>
I took a look at the channel list on Rizon and a lot of the channel topics have 'CP' and 'vCP' in them followed by somebody's nickname. Mostly ones for third-world countries. I'm assuming it doesn't mean THAT, so what does it mean?
>>
>>60594957

Got a good answer
>>60595034
>>
Is NoScript completely deprecated? Should I be using any script blocker other than uBlock Origin with FF?
>>
>>60595153
umatrix
>>
>>60595153
NoScript with scripts globally enabled + uMatrix for script blocking.
>>
Is there a way to know your external hard drive's history? I think someone might have used mine while I was missing.
>>
>>60595800
files' last accessed date
filesystems last mounted date
>>
File: 3-5mm-Male-To-Male.jpg (55KB, 620x726px) Image search: [Google]
3-5mm-Male-To-Male.jpg
55KB, 620x726px
I am using a regular 3.5mm stereo audio cable.
And I connect it from my TV to my computer's microphone contact.

Then I right click the volume thingy and open up my sound devices and go from there to the settings of my speakers.
And there I go to the levels tab, and unmute the microphone.

Now I can hear any audio from my TV, through my PC speakers. Which is exactly what I want.
However. Not only do I get the audio from my TV. I also get this low volume buzzing noise that never goes away unless I mute the microphone line. I feel like I was so close to getting what I wanted, but I can't get rid of this buzzing noise using this method.

Is there anything I can do? Is it hopeless? Do I need a better cable? Was this method fundamentally flawed and hopeless from the get go?
I don't really get it though. If I plug the cable from my TV or PC or whatever, directly into my speakers. The sound is fine. But when I do the above through my PC I get this tiny little buzzing sound. It's nothing much admittedly, but in the long run it really gets on your nerves.
>>
I bought a computer that has win 10 on it. I have the suspicion that it was upgraded from windows 8.1 which means that if I do a factory recovery that it would revert back to 8.1. Is there a way to check to see if my suspicion is correct with out having to do a recovery?
>>
Anyone know of a good laptop that has the build quality of a XPS 15 and decent hardware, but with a 1440p screen?
I want the XPS 15, but 1080p is too low res and I don't think I'll like having to deal with a 4k screen on a 15" laptop
>>
What is the linux equivalent of
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?s=edbad4f169e9229bbcae7dc51d11877c&t=472941&page=1
on Ubuntu? I tried doing what
https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/227894
said but it ends up looking extremely fucked up. I also saw
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/4w675k/does_anyone_have_downsampling_working_properly/d64p9v1/
but will steam games recognize the resolution? don't I need to use
--newmode
?
>>
>>60595836
And how do I do that?
>>
>>60595912
>I am using a regular 3.5mm stereo audio cable.
>And I connect it from my TV to my computer's microphone contact.

[screams externally]

Mic contact is for microphones only. Mics provide a signal level lower/different that standards audio outputs. Use Line-in for the love of Christ.
>>
How often should I take apart my computer and dust out the insides?
>>
>>60596077
>Mics provide a signal level lower/different that standards audio outputs.
So I am screwed then?
Aside from the low buzzing noise it works perfectly. But I guess I need a proper line-in. Which my laptop doesn't have. Which is what I'd be using with my TV.
And to set up my desktop PC next to my PC just to use its line-in feels like more trouble than it's worth.

So there is really no way to get it working with a regular microphone contact? That's a shame.
>>
>>60596178
Check if you can change your laptops sound system to handle the mix connector as line-in. I think I saw a similar setting once. You might be able to buy a cheap USB sound "card" with line in anyway.
>>
Any git wizards here?
About 3 months ago I submitted an MR to a big project but it took them quite a while to review it and they'd like me to apply my changes to a couple of other things, now the thing is that during these 3 months there have been over 2k commits, so how do I properly update my repo not to fuck it up?

What I did so far is:
git checkout master
git pull upstream
git checkout mypatch
git rebase master
vim conflict
git add conflict
git rebase --continue

So far so good, my branch is updated with those commits and my change is on top of these however git status says that the branches have diverged, is that okay? What happens if I push? Will the MR display the 2.8k commits now effectively turning everything into a mess or will it show my changes only (that's on GitHub if that matters).
>>
>>60596102
I personally do it every 6 months. It also depends on how dusty your house is.
>>
>>60596212
you might want to force push and override your remote branch because of your rebase.
>>
I haven't been keeping up with phones at all and I finally have enough money to put money down on one.

Any clues?
>>
>>60596283
there is a smartphone general, try asking them

Avoid samshit, life's gay and applel thou.
>>
File: USBG-X4S.jpg (40KB, 500x462px) Image search: [Google]
USBG-X4S.jpg
40KB, 500x462px
>>60596204
>You might be able to buy a cheap USB sound "card" with line in anyway.
This sounds promising. Something like this?
I should probably look into that. I have no idea what I should get though, but that sounds promising.
>>
>>60596323
yes, exactly. Definitely not audiomeme-grade sound but they are for a few bucks on ebay.
>>
Hey /g/, so I upgraded my PCs GPU, CPU, RAM, and mobo. When I try to start it, it either won't turn on at all and just show the light sign that there's a CPU problem, or it'll show nothing on the monitor (if the RAM is in position that don't enable dual channel). I've gotten it to boot a few times while using both 1 and 2 slots of ram. I checked the cpu part of the mobo and it seems i beent a few of the slots while installing the CPU. Thing is, this is the second mobo/ram kit i've tried to use, and the problem of it not working with RAM in dual channel seems to be persistent. How likely is it that the CPU just isn't going to work with dual channel RAM? I've got another mobo on the way, but i'm thinking of getting the CPU replaced as well. GPU and ram themselves seem to work fine, as well as the power supply, so it seems it could only be the mobo or CPU.
>>
>>60596323
I hope you like static and buzzing noises...
>>
File: IMG_20170526_094247.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170526_094247.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
>>60596454
that does enable dual channel mode*

Here's a pic of the mobos cpu pins.
>>
Are there any light weight video editors? OpenShit crashes whenever I add an audio track
>>
>>60596517
shotcut
>>
>>60591329
your mac is getting slow due to lack of maintainance or your usage. google how to get your mac back in shape. don't trust tools and try to do as much as possible on your own
>>
My asshole brother deleted my folder of hentai and images ive collected over the years (5). Like he went all the way and deleted previous versions files so i couldnt rewind the clock to a date the files existed. Does anyone know how to recover a folder that has been permanently deleted on a hard drive? software? anything? I dont even feel like saving any pictures anymore, like a void where my folder used to fill. (and i cant hurt him cause my parents saw that it had porn and told him he did the right thing.)
>>
>>60591656
disabling IE is a nice way to break nvidia driver installers
>>
>>60592686
God disapproves.
>>
>>60596594
Well for one, turn off the computer. The videos are probably all fractured.
Get some recovery software and boot with it.
>>
>>60596570
OpenShit just crashed a lot, this on the other hand makes me want to jump off a window. I just want to add two dog shit tracks to a dumb video, why is every video editor interface under the sun so fucking retarded? Are people in film making masochists?
>>
>>60596752
nothing about video editing is lightweight. people in the industry pay bucks for actual software that runs on hardware which is expensive enough to handle it
>>
What RAID setup is the best for having better performance than individual drives but still having data protection if a drive fails? RAID 10?
>>
>>60593315
get paid to do projects makes it easier
>>
>>60595981
Send help
>>
>>60596594
>>60596659
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
>>
>>60591299
Any help with this (>>60593023) question that I made on another thread?
The context would be botnet on Windows 8.1.

I'm not a security/privacy/whatever paranoid but I still would like to know if there's some special anti-botnet measures I should considering taking and such out of curiosity (at least for now since the OS is working absolutely fine already but the knowledge might be useful for me in the future).
>>
Why does windows reset the new monitor settings at every restart? today it doesn't even recognize the monitor model, it's listed as default non-pnp display in the devices list.
I'm using dual monitor setup and I replaced the main one, but this new monitor is causing a lot of issues with windows, yesterday it was just the resolution but today looks like a mess.
The list of resolutions is wrong and so is the frequencies list, I'm using a resolution slightly larger than what the screen supported right now but everything looks like a bad downscale, lower resolutions look even worse.
>>
File: non-pnp.png (3KB, 241x72px) Image search: [Google]
non-pnp.png
3KB, 241x72px
I'm on win7 by the way. The Non-PnP monitor is the problematic one.
>>
I installed AMDGPU-PRO on Ubuntu Neon and now I just see the KDE logo and then my monitor just turns off, not even CTRL+ALT+F2 works, what the FUCK. Any ideas?
>>
why wouldnt i be able to create multiple encrypted volumes and then mount them in raid to increase write speeds?
>>
>>60597647
>>60597694
Found a solution: shut down everything, unplug power cables from both pc and monitor and wait a minute, plug the cables and restart.
I've no idea what autistic logic is behind this but it werks.
>>
File: 1465382146592.jpg (605KB, 1150x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1465382146592.jpg
605KB, 1150x1200px
hi, pls respond.

so an external DAC and AMP improves audio quality a lot, butt what can i do for my microphone input?

is there a analogue to digital converter for microphones?

trying to get rid of the buzzing and hissing
>>
Going to migrate my OS to an SSD.

Will those freeware apps you find work well?
>>
>>60597757
What kernel and xorg version do you use? It's generally for version 4.8 kernel and 1.18 xorg, everything above is not officially supported and in xorg >1.18 there's a file missing that the driver needs.
>>
>>60598152
X.Org X Server 1.18.4
Kernel I don't know but it's probably 4.8
I've uploaded both xorg.log and xorg.log.old

xorg.log
https://pastebin.com/KqjFkPKD

xorg.log.old
https://pastebin.com/dd818975
>>
File: 1471850050934.png (595KB, 821x716px) Image search: [Google]
1471850050934.png
595KB, 821x716px
How do I disable smb1?
Am I safe against WannaCry if, hypothetically, one of my local computers get it and I have smb1 disabled?
I know I am a bit late, but I had my computer turned off since the infamous Friday.
>>
I only know a little more than the basics of technology so bear with me, I'm on Windows 10, I pirated PSC6, but I can't see it on my list of installed programs, and every time I try to open it I have to do it as an administrator, which isn't an option right now, is there a way to install it and run it as a normal user?
>>
>>60598288
What graphics card do you have? Some don't have support for amdgpu enabled in the 4.8 kernel by default, since amdgpu pro depends on amdgpu it crashes.
>>
>>60598355
It's a R7 260x, I got the driver from
https://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ubuntu/amdgpu-pro-17.10-414273.tar.xz
>>
>>60598300
As long as you have SMBv1 and don't open any malicious websites/mail attachments, you should be fine.

You should back up your important Taiwanese cartoon images in a cloud, just in case, though.
>>
>>60598339
Set the compatibility mode by right clicking the Exe and selecting properties
>>
>>60598374
>R7 260x
Pretty sure you need to recompile your kernel because 4.8 doesn't include amdgpu support for your card by default. It does after 4.10, but that doesn't have amdgpu pro support, so good luck.
>>
>>60598374
That's a Sea Islands card (GCN 2), which I think at least on Arch only got experimental support enabled in kernel 4.9.
>>
>>60598432
>>60598374
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU

Start reading here, have an r9 290, had the same problem. I updated and now I'm just waiting(tm) for an amdgpu pro update
>>
>>60598441
You can enable it yourself, but you have to compile your kernel for that. It's just a single setting, but still a pain in the ass for someone who never did that.
>>
What program will allow me to download all the images of a current webpage?
>>
File: Untitled.png (23KB, 725x594px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
23KB, 725x594px
>>60598432
fucking hell guess I'm fucked then
>>60598441
you sure it's gcn 2? i've seen multiple people saying gcn 1.1 or 1 or whatever
>>60598455
i might try the kernel thing then
>>
>>60591560
>over time gets boring and pointless when you realize you're way more limited than most OS'
someone on here who doesnt worship linux like its a god and admits having to do all that terminal and wine shit is annoying? i never thought id see the day
>>
>>60598487
Yeah the driver is compatible, but the kernel only has experimental support that is not enabled by default. 4.10 made it the default, so you could either wait it out or do it yourself, but the amdgpu pro driver isn't much better, only if you need opencl. There's even a mesa stack for vulkan now.
>>
How do I pirate Windows 10?
>>
What has happened to the sticky?
Havent been on for a couple of days, and just now when i came back it was gone.
Im using clover right now, so it might be a problem with the app.
>>
>>60598521
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/opencl-amd/ takes care of OpenCL on the AMDGPU driver.
>>
>>60598563
Not 2.1 though.
>>
Downgraded my laptop from shit10 to win 7. Forgot i had to reinstall drivers. My windows.old folder is still on my HD, can i copy my drivers from that? I just need the network drivers, dells site is ungodly annoying. Cant download shit from it because it assumes you need the files for whatever device you are on, and all it lets you do is DL their driver detect program which then dls the drivers. Thatd be great if the device i need the files for could connect to the internet. Fucking dell
>>
Is it possible to tell an .exe file where a needed .dll is directly (without adding the .dll to the path or to the same folder the .exe is)?
How?
>>
Does anyone have any programming project ideas for me? Been programming for about 1 1/2 years.
>>
>>60598726
What are you trying to do?
>>
File: 1495827622.png (317KB, 364x683px) Image search: [Google]
1495827622.png
317KB, 364x683px
Stressing specific core in linux?

got ryzen 1700
I am suspicious of many threads in conky
would like put huge load on a specific core

I would then go core by core and gauge responsivness of conky

any util for this?
>>
I installed an SSD into my desktop, cloned the drive using the software that came with it (MX300, Acronis True Image), and dried to boot from the SSD.

Windows begins to boot, shows the boot circle and then goes to a black screen and does not proceed to the login screen. When I boot from the original HHD, Windows loads as normal. Anyone have this issue before?
>>
>2007 screen 17" LCD
>VGA input
>1440x900
>75 Hz
>25 USD shipping included
Is this a good deal?
>>
File: 1495828081.png (337KB, 385x676px) Image search: [Google]
1495828081.png
337KB, 385x676px
>>60599058
this is what happens when I run prime95 in win virtualmachine that got assigned 2 threads
>>
>>60599106
>VGA input
meh, you wont find above $100 gpu released in the last year that has that output
>>
>>60598536
Please respond.
>>
File: 1495828449.png (1MB, 1243x727px) Image search: [Google]
1495828449.png
1MB, 1243x727px
>>60599123
ok, so htop confirmed that my conky is spitting up wrong datanonsense
>>
>>60599136
I have a GeForce GT 630 already.
>>
>>60599143
>>60598536
you go here
http://windowsiso.net/

get windows 10 standard iso in your language, they are originals from microsoft
you user Rufus to make bootabe usb
install it, skip question about key
then turn off antivirus,
activate with kmspico
http://dopice.sk/kmspico
add program files/kmspico in to antivirus exception

antiviruses dont even tell that tits malware, they call it hacking tool or some such
if it gets removed in 3 months you windows tell you its not activated
>>
>>60599194
well if you plan that you only use it then whatver.. its $25 like 3 packs of smokes
>>
File: wtf.png (126KB, 1879x972px) Image search: [Google]
wtf.png
126KB, 1879x972px
how do i switch off of this view for google and back to the newer look? i havent seen this view in years, and i know i didnt mess with my settings and somehow enable this, it just changed somehow. cant find anything in google settings or browser settings
>>
I made the mistake of forgetting to have any antivirus installed on a new pc build and got a bit of malware from downloading and browsing various things. I got MSE installed and running and everything is scrubbed clean it seems, except I have something named adservice.dll in user/x/appdata/local/adservice.

Anyone know what the fuck this is? Apparently explorer.exe (not a fake explorer.exe) is using it and Google's only giving me the usual "this file you don't understand is malware download our free antivirus to get rid of it" spiel if I look it up. MSE doesn't have anything to say about it either.
>>
>>60599295
rename it to adservice.fuck and move on...
or make new profile if it makes you feel safer
>>
Currently have a 4690k @ 4.6GHz. Feel like it's bottle necking my 1080. Is it worth it to get a Haswell i7 or should I just suck it up and go Kaby Lake?
>>
My HDD is making a grinding noise when under heavy disk usage for like a second. Does that means it's going to die?
>>
>>60599340
wait for the coffe lake?
should be interesting answer to ryzen
and reports are that they moved the release up, so its like fall 2017
>>
please, can someone explain what t heck Docker is? i have some vague notion that it has something to do with virtualization? it is right? my qustion is what's the purpose of docker and how developers use it in practice?
Thanks!
>>
Do watercooled PCs heat up the room less than air fan ones?
>>
>>60599442
thats seriously easy to google out 10 youtube short explanation videos

>>60599469
a little bit
theres several liters of liquid that will be heated, so less heat and absorbs some of the heat, releasing less in to the room air
>>
>>60598404
Thanks, but set it to what exactly?
>>
>>60598521
I'll just go with the latest open source driver and call it a day, thanks tho
>>
>>60599058
>>60599123
>>60599172
If you're still interested trying the threads separately you can do
taskset -c <thread_index> stress -c 1

>>60599106
Absolutely not. I wouldn't even take one for free, and I pretty much exclusively buy used stuff.
>>
>>60599289
Which browser? Usually it's just google being a dick based on your user agent.
>>
is google drive still the best cloud service?

they only offer 15gb free so i would need multiple accounts i think, or to use something else
>>
>>60599698
>taskset -c <thread_index> stress -c 1
yeah, htop reacts to it nicely
my conky that gets graphs from some lua functions not so much
some are skipped others are shown triple
>>
>>60599772
what are you putting out there that 15GB is not enough
also when does best mean the most space?
go with mega then?
>>
What is the deal with VeraCrypt and why are people shitting on it on here
>>
>>60599717
opera
tried installing the newest version twice and nothing changed. problem isnt present in any other browser
>>
File: fug.png (6KB, 641x83px) Image search: [Google]
fug.png
6KB, 641x83px
Why am I getting this shit when trying to convert a gif to webm using ffmpeg -i 1.gif -c:v libvpx -crf 12 -b:v 500K output.webm ?
>>
>>60599822
Seems like you're not the only one, according to /r/operabrowser. You could try changing your user agent as a temporary workaround, while Google fixes things.
>>
>>60599950
dam im stupid, didnt even think to look for any info on reddit. thanks senpai
>>
If an LCD monitor turns on for a split second before turning dim to the point you need a light over the screen to see any image, would that be
>a dead backlight
or
>a dead inverter board

I can't afford a new monitor at the moment and I don't want to resort to a 60hz monitor.
>>
File: 1488220330713.png (479KB, 528x647px) Image search: [Google]
1488220330713.png
479KB, 528x647px
Is there a way to make windows 10 remember the view type (large icons, details etc) of a folder? It's annoying as fuck that they keep changing by themselves.
>>
So I got an old Galaxy S4 (i9500) and want to root it, the problem is the port is broken so no matter which cable I attach to it, my computer just does not read it. Is there a way to do it from the phone itself guys?
>>
>>60600765
towelroot
>>
Motherboard died, when I get a new one I'll be good to go as soon as everything's connected right? My hard drives won't get wiped or anything right?
>>
As a programmer, should I have watched Mr Robot at some point in my life?
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-05-26-16-56-54.png (97KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-05-26-16-56-54.png
97KB, 1080x1920px
>>60600783
Didn't work. Home page of the site, said it should support all devices. Any idea why it didn't work?
>>
>>60600849
You might have updated it to the kernel that patched that exploit.
Nothing else you can do now
>>
>>60600870
Fuck. No other way to do it from phone?
>>
>>60600849
you could try kingroot, but i dont even recommend that pile of garbage as a last resort. did it for my old s4 and it installs an app as a system app thats always on, always hogging shitloads of battery, and is basically useless if youre not a total idiot when it comes to androids. cant remember exactly what it had, but it was basically a flashy app killer/battery booster that actually ended up fucking my battery and device. factory reset it twice and the fuckers still on there.
pretty sure all you have to do is enable installation from unknown sources and DL the app from their site. its been a while tho, so i might be wrong
>>
File: Screenshot_20170526_190343.png (307KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170526_190343.png
307KB, 1360x768px
What is this garbage in the top right and how can I get rid of it, KDE by the way
>>
Can any Android device be flashed with the latest Cyanogen Mod? If not, how can you tell which versions support your device?

Also, do the cons out weigh the pros of installing Ubuntu on a tablet?
>>
>>60600925
kingroot is literal malware
>>
>>60600930
no.

check https://download.lineageos.org/
if it isn't listed it's not supported.
>>
File: odSwNg8o_400x400.jpg (41KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
odSwNg8o_400x400.jpg
41KB, 400x400px
Are nosteam torrents safe? I downloaded one, which happened to be the most seeded upload for the specific game. As soon as i installed it CMD popped up with 'finished installation' message, as well as a openwith.exe error on Windows 10. This combined with their shitty MSpaint-tier choice of graphical design for everything really set me off, to the point where i uninstalled the game and made sure to scan everything.
>>
>>60600936
>>60600925
>dont even recommend that pile of garbage as a last resort
yeah i know. but i was lazy and hadnt flashed anything since my even older s2 like 3 years or so before that. i was getting a new device soon, didnt care about the phone, and i really just wanted to root it so i could fuck around on pokemon GO when it came out. kingroot was the easier option, because i couldnt understand anything on the xda page for that device
>>
>>60600790
It depends on how catastrophic of a failure you had. If it was really catastrophic (i.e. massive power surge that fried EVERYTHING) then your HDDs would be toast too.

You can test them on a separate machine, but 98% chance you're fine. Make sure you get the right mobo for your CPU.

>>60600824
It's a good show and you'll certainly enjoy it, but it's not required to graduate NEET school.

>>60600531
>you need a light over the screen to see any image,
How does that make any sense? External light on a LCD monitor would make it harder to see? It's probably the backlight though.

>>60599817
No clue. It's literally TrueCrypt which people drooled over but the source code was revised for security issues.

Probably GNUfags wanting you to use their encryption.
>>
>>60600925
>>60600936
Okey, so Kingroot is off the table, thanks.

>>60600925
>pretty sure all you have to do is enable installation from unknown sources and DL the app from their site. its been a while tho, so i might be wrong
Installation from unknown sources is allowed, but still not working.
>>
File: arch neofetch.jpg (102KB, 755x452px) Image search: [Google]
arch neofetch.jpg
102KB, 755x452px
Anyone know of better font packages for arch? Pic related is an example of it being tough to read, mostly because of how the m's get pushed into the next character. And yeah, I don't know much about fonts, otherwise I'd probably be able to fix this myself.
>>
>>60601045
antialisasing
better font
configure fontconfig
>>
>>60600983
not sure about now, but a few years ago quite a few totallynotpirated games i got were nosteam ones. didnt find any malicious content in any of the files. the way you install their stuff is a bit odd from what i remember though, sometimes the torrent would just be a lot of sequential .rars and youd have to let the installer open each one.

>>60601010
im not very activein the android rooting community, but you might be able to get help on xda. i think you can find the kernels, bootloaders, etc. that you need to root your device there.
>>
>>60598122
clonezilla will work fine
>>
>>60600983
I know a guy who has never had that problem and he usually stays on top of things. Try a different uploader or perhaps a different team altogether.
>>
>>60601045
Jesus christ, that looks terrible.
>>
>>60601082
Yeah, that's why I'm looking for alternatives.
>>
>>60600824
Definitely worth a try if you are interested in the series. 1st episode was a bit cringy for me but after that it only gets better.
>>
>>60601008

Nothing catastrophic(relatively), just one morning the pc won't turn on. Everything else connected to the power strip works fine though and I tried multiple outlets. After going as far as to buy a new psu and have that not change anything, it can only mean the motherboard is toast somehow
>>
>>60601061
Okey, no worries man, I'm currently searching for answers in the xda forum, thanks anyway.
>>
>>60593120
Thank you
>>
>>>60600579
>>
File: ctrld-13.png (3KB, 420x140px) Image search: [Google]
ctrld-13.png
3KB, 420x140px
What's a good bitmap font with cyrillic chracters? I'm currently using CtrlD but it's missing those sweet sweet RU letters
>>
File: surfacefamily.png (305KB, 921x615px) Image search: [Google]
surfacefamily.png
305KB, 921x615px
Surface laptop, surface book, or surface pro?
>>
>>60601290
Surface Studio kthxbai
>>
I am trying to find well-priced 1/4" to 1/8" (3.5mm to 6.35mm) stereo jack adapters. It would be especially nice to find some that in a store with similar or better pricing and quality/quantity compared to online.

Does anyone have any specific suggestions?
>>
>>60591299
What search engine does /g/ use? Google works well but I'd like to avoid using them for everything
>>
>>60601362
DDG
>>
>>60601362
I use DuckDuckGo. I have used IXQuick, and it worked okay (looked cleaner too), but the results generated were less desireable.
>>
I want to change my OS, will doing this delete all my files (games, programs, etc?)
How can I preserve my stuff and install a new OS?
I'm thinking about trying a linux Distro such as Ubuntu or MacOS, and am currently running on Windows 7.
>>
I am kind of new to this whole Linux thing. Thing is, I "accidentally" removed unity and gnome from ubuntu and I can't go beyond login manager. I can boot through recovery mode and acquire root access to the system. However I can't reinstall unity-desktop back because I don't know how to connect to wifi through cli. It gives me some sort of error about SET.

How can I recover my /home folder to an external location given that I have root access?
>>
>>60601290
Retina(r) Macbook (TM) Pro(c) 2017 Edition
Featuring magick(TM) touch(TM) screen(TM) above the keyboard(TM)
>>
File: 1410474623943.jpg (34KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1410474623943.jpg
34KB, 600x450px
Is it possible to put Team Grinder's Windows7 on a new Windows laptop? Are there any unmarketed shenanigans where new machines with W10 will utterly laugh at you when you attempt to wipe the drive and install? Was advised to check driver support; ensuring that the drivers of a new laptop support W7. Would there be any other advice you could list? Or any recommendations on make/models?

I would get a thinkpad, but need something with a bit more horse-power for all the shit I have to do in Adobe suite. No, this will not be used to gaming, I don't hate myself _that_ much.
>>
>>60601497
>I want to change my OS, will doing this delete all my files (games, programs, etc?)
Yes, unless you do a dual boot. That may be too difficult for you.

Try it out on a USB or VirtualBox first. VirtualBox will be easier for you.
>>
File: cube.jpg (73KB, 772x540px) Image search: [Google]
cube.jpg
73KB, 772x540px
i got an email and with my veterans discount i can get this for ~$800 from it's usual $1400 sticker price. is it a decent system? i dont care about playing shit at medium settings.
>>
>>60601362
searx.me, startpage, duckduckgo
literally anything is better than google
>>
>>60601525
Oh I forgot to mention that the entire hard drive is encrypted. I would recover everything through a live linux usb if it wasn't.
>>
Why does router vpn setup work slow af?
>>
Why the fuck RAM is so expensive now.

>2015 8GB DDR3 $33.
>2017 same stick $63.
>>
>>60601577
Alright, I think I might be able to figure out the Virtualbox thing on my own, but will I be able to access files from my windows 7 OS if I dual boot?
And what about programs that don't run on linux?
>>
File: 1479847654446s.jpg (7KB, 224x224px) Image search: [Google]
1479847654446s.jpg
7KB, 224x224px
>shit wifi at my sister's bedroom
>internet provider gave my mother a shitty router and has nothing else to sell and do not want to config another better one, that we would buy, for us
>no other provider in town
So, I have a modem with no WAN, only DSL and LAN ports but with a strong signal. If I connect my modem to their router (LAN-LAN ports) can I create another connection so she can have decent wifi?

I know it is a bother but help me with that. I would need to drive some time to fiddle with it and if it cannot be done I rather go another direction and buy a router with a two/three antennae instead and try messing with it.
>>
I just put my gpu in (1050 ti), I was using integrated graphics until now, but I'm having a few issues.
>screen looks really fuzzy
>my previous resolution (1080p) is now too big for my screen
>>
>>60601583
>i5
>gtx 1070
it should be able to run most recently released games at at least medium, if youre running a 1920x1080 resolution you could probably bump that to high/ultra. i get at least 40 fps with my gtx 960 in witcher 3
if you run into any bottleneck you can just sell the i5 and buy something a little bit better. amd's ryzen or w/e might be out by the time the i5 starts bottlenecking your performance enough to warrant a new chip

>>60601687
where are you looking? i found a 8g (2 4g sticks) package for $60 that im putting in my new build. its flashy and has heat spreaders. if you get a basic stick without any of that you could probably get it for around $50 or less. IMO the new ddr4 is a big factor in the price. cant use your old ram with new ddr4 mb's, might as well up the price on new ddr4 sticks to make more money.
>>
>>60601726
i think integrated graphics are supposed to take a backseat to actual cards, but maybe somethings fucky with that in your system? might be something with your cable or ports on the card/monitor.
>>
>>60601741
I have 16GB right now, (2x8GB) but one of those sticks isnt mine and i need to return it.
And since i use a IGPU dual-channel is important for me.

Im looking for them in Amazon Mexico, cheapest i could find is $55 and everything is around that except kingston valueram.
>>
File: 1455136219398.jpg (117KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1455136219398.jpg
117KB, 720x960px
>>60601772
if youre not limited to amazon you could try pcpartpicker. it checks 4 or 5 sites for the lowest price, and i think you can have it search a few other sites on top of the initial 4 or 5. if youre limited to amazon, youll probably just have to pay that $55+.
>>
>>60591299
What can I do with programs like powershell and command prompt, what's their real purpose? I mean I compiled and ran some really basic programs with them when I was learning programming, but I could've done that without them. What's the advantage of using them?
>>
>>60600928
It's the desktop toolbox. To get rid of it, right-click desktop and go to "Desktop Settings" in the context menu. Go to the tab that says "Tweaks" and uncheck "Show the Desktop Toolbox" under "Desktop Layout".
>>
>>60601704
Look into ntfs-3g. I thnk that'll do it.

You might have to run chkdsk or something like that eveyrtime you boot into windows though.
>>
How can I get myself to sit down and write my term papers? Every time, I go and do finish one page or so and then I go and procrasturbate for an hour and I'm sick of it.
>>
>>60601925
I have no idea. I struggle with this all the time.
In fact, I'm doing it right now.
>>
What's the proper command line to gracefully shutdown?
I think using `shutdown now` is not what I want, because chrome for example complains that it wasn't terminated properly
>>
>>60601965
Stop using chrome?
>>
>>60601925
>>60601950
Go to the library and don't bring a laptop or anything. Reward yourself with a nice dinner or whatever afterwards.

Or pay someone to do it for you.

>>60601965
shutdown now is probably the best you can get. I would prefer it to say it didn't terminate properly because you can restore your tabs.
>>
File: 1495842102367672739692.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1495842102367672739692.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I have a lot of dumb questions but i will ask them one by one
First off:
What can slow a computer down other than space, viruses, adware, malware, background stuff?
My dad gave me this old touch pc that he used on his restaurant but it's so fucking slow i can't do anything on it, i already:
-ran ccleaner
-ran anti-virus
-uninstalled heavy programs
-disabled many start-up programs
It improved but it's still slow, could it be a physical problem?
>>
>>60602045
I forgot to add that i updated all drivers and ran windows update
>>
>>60602045
If you can, reinstall windows.
Damaged/worn HDD, adware and other small details can affect performance.
>>
>>60602009
Chrome is a symptom, not the problem. If chrome wasn't shutdown properly I have no guarantee that something else wasn't either.

>>60602029
hm, I see. Ok then.
>>
>>60602045
Harddrive could be slowly dying. That or the data is just in need of refreshing.

It might be really restricted on RAM so it's swapping like crazy. This would also limit your read cache in RAM which would make it subjectively slower.

It also might not have slowed down so much as you are just conditioned to newer computers that are faster.
>>
>>60602045
It most likely has a sub-par HDD. Reinstalling Windows (I assume it's running Windows) might help quite a bit, but realistically you'd probably want to buy a faster HDD or a small SSD. Linux is also a possibility and should make it quite a bit more snappy.
>>
>>60602092
Chrome is just mad it couldn't sync your browsing history with google before shutdown
>>
>>60602074
>>60602094
I'll check linux out because i don't have the windows cd
>>60602093
My main is a 2008 compaq that also has many problems (it has windows 10, can only run like 2 programs at once) so i might not be used to it.
Thank you all
>>
>>60601880
If you are managing a Windows AD network or an Exchange server, powershell has a lot of tools to do things that aren't available through the UI. You can also deploy scripts on the hosts you manage that run say on log in to perform certain tasks (whatever you need for your environment).

If you are using it on your personal machine, you can do any operation that's available through all the GUIs, plus more.

The advantage is a finer grain of control and automation of tasks.
>>
>>60601726
Is the screen connected to the motherboard port or the graphics card port?
>>
>>60601726
Are you using a TV as monitor?
>>
>>60601721
Yes
>>
Right i will ask the other one, can your wifi cut out because of heat?
I have had 2 laptops would just randomly lose connection to the internet (it even disconnects if wired) i don't really know what is it, everything else works just fine it could be heat, this game i'm playing could be too resource consuming, or anything else
>>
>>60601672
Tiny CPU
>>
How do I make scripts from ~/bin/ runnable by bash in Ubuntu for Windows? I had done it in my VMs already but didn't have to change anything in those
>>
Is it planned to be able to have dual chip motherboards for Skylake-X? And what kinds of power draws will that be at 4.5GHz?
>>
File: ibm-thinkpad-comfy.jpg (709KB, 1256x819px) Image search: [Google]
ibm-thinkpad-comfy.jpg
709KB, 1256x819px
please help me what is this glorious hard drive bay expansion thingy on the left of my post's picture called? i need the model for darn sake's help me...
>>
>>60600582
bump
>>
>>60591299
(>>60597415) here, can someone answer my question please?
>>
whats with the new win 10 update i keep getting prompted to install? i heard microsoft released it because of that cyber attack in europe, but yet all the popup says is that its going to add new stupid useless features that'll just bloat the os even more.

>>60602265
the street name for that is "a nice ass"
>>
>>60602296
That's the most disgusting stinkpad I've ever seen.
>>
>>60602303
i am too lazy to read through all that plus i do not have my glasses on me. basically, if you are asking if windows 8.1 has 'botnet' features baked right into the os, i got bad news desu. starting with the whole 'get win10' update back in 2015-2016, win7 all the way up to win 10 is a riddled with spying features. like telemetry, customer experience, etc.
>>
>>60602296
This maybe
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-eSATA-Drive-Docking-Station/dp/B004I6OCR4/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1495844073&sr=8-13&keywords=quad+hdd+dock
>>
>>60601598
You can totally connect to WiFi through the command line (google it), but if you are having trouble with that, you can get at your files like this:

1) Boot to the login prompt
2) Press Ctrl+Atl+F2 (Ctrl+Atl+F7 or Ctrl+Atl+F8 to get back to the GUI depending on which distro/verion you are using)
3) Enter you username at the promt
4) Enter
5) Password
This will log in as yourself and unlock the crypto on you home directory. You said it was full disk, but you may have just done encrypted home directory instead of full disk
6) Attack external storage (USB harddrive, flashdrive etc)
7) Make a directory to mount it in
sudo mkdir /mnt/backup

8) Find the name of the device you plugged in by running lsblk. Best way to figure out which is which is by looking at the size
9) Mount the drive from 8 to the directrory from 7
sudo mount /dev/<ID from 8> /mnt/backup

10) Move out of your home directory
cd /home

11) Copy the files to the external drive
sudo cp -Rv . /mnt/backup

12) Unmount the backup drive
 sudo umount /mnt/backup

Reinstall the OS and copy your files back.
>>
>>60602296
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=external+hard+drive+docking+station

external hard drive bay, hard drive expansion bay, hard drive docking port/bay, etc. you might have to do a bit of searching tho, i mostly found external hard drives, not the docking port thing youre wanting
>>
>>60601584
Better in terms of tracking you
Not better in terms of quality of results
>>
>>60602366
Startpage is a Google search proxy
>>
File: 1411798736997.jpg (37KB, 348x342px) Image search: [Google]
1411798736997.jpg
37KB, 348x342px
Is there a way for me to not let Adobe Digital Edition not take all kinds of metadata on me?
>>
>>60602359
>>60601598
Forget to mention, the disk ID you are looking for in 8 will look sdb1 or sdc1 or something like that. The exact format may vary but you are definitely looking for something with a number on the end.
>>
>>60602383
Block it with the firewall
>>
>>60602371
Yes, but without personalization, the quality of the results is lower. It would show more technical results for me than a generic user. Whether that is worth it to you is a personal decision.
>>
>>60602371
so this would argueably be the best choice, right? all of the Google quality, but none of the downsides?
>>
Hey guys, I just frankensteined a build to use as a pfsense router but just using it as that seems like a waste. Is there anyway to use it as a router along with a hyper visor while giving both of them access to bare metal? If read that virtualizing pfsense is fine which would obviously solve the problem but is it safe?
>>
>>60602425
>I want personalized results without privacy invasion
Come back to reality anytime
>>
I got two PSU and when I try to power on it only makes a click sound, the same with the 2 PSU.

it's the motherboard or something else?
>>
>>60602427
searx.me is superior
>>
File: 1493806321748.jpg (265KB, 827x620px) Image search: [Google]
1493806321748.jpg
265KB, 827x620px
>>60591534
Excuse me, but I'd simply like to mention something for one moment. What you're alluding to as Linux, is in actuality, GNU/Linux, or as I simply the other day began to call it, GNU and Linux. Linux isn't an operating setup by itself, but actually another free piece of a completely working GNU setup fashioned into something practical by the GNU core libraries, terminal tools and essential setup components completing a full OS as described by POSIX.

There are numerous owners use a flavor of the original setup everyday, but do not know it. Because of a particular series of events, the edition of GNU that is being being broadly applied these days is often called Linux, and a substantial number of this userbase have no knowledge that it is really the GNU setup, created by GNU.

There is in actuality a Linux, and this population do have it installed, but it is simply a part of the setup they use. Linux is a core, the part of the setup that gives out the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The core is a necessary part of an operating setup, but cannot work on its own; it will work only in the shadow of a whole operating setup. Linux is normally applied in combination with the GNU operating setup, the whole setup is really GNU with the addition of Linux, or GNU/Linux. Every one of the Linux releases are really releases of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>60602339
No. I'm asking what anti-botnet measures should I take if there's any, out of curiosity. What I only did back on Day 1 was disabling unnecessary services incluiding Windows Update.
>>
>>60602194
bat/powershell scripts I think is what you're after.

If you really, really want to use Bash scripts (and not bat/powershell,) you can use cygwin, but I think that may be too complex for you imo.

>>60602214
Not that I've heard. That's pretty much a server or workstation class thing only. Just get an "old" workstation off ebay for $400 and then get a CPU riser for $100. That'll allow you to throw in an extra CPU. Something like the Dell t7500 or HP z something (z400?)

>>60602435
It should be fine as long as you protect your hypervisor instance.

>>60602461
Probably a hard drive, cd/dvd drive, or some relay in the PSU. More than likely cd/dvd.
>>
>>60602532
It really doesn't matter desu. But check out these links:
>https://voat.co/v/Ancile/comments/1257884
>https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/
>http://download.wsusoffline.net/
reason why i say it does not matter is an old back-door called _NSAKEY look it up...
>>
Is pastebin down ?
>>
>>60602436
Work on your reading comprehension
>>
>>60602595
My apologies then Anon.
>>
File: screenfetch example.png (24KB, 1104x642px) Image search: [Google]
screenfetch example.png
24KB, 1104x642px
>>60602535
Cygwin is not quite what I meant, so I'll try to explain further:
Basically, I have to type ~/bin/screenfetch to run the screenfetch script from ~/bin/. Same would go for any other scripts I'd put there. How do I make the shell also look for scripts in ~/bin/? It's a feature that was only recently introduced to most distros as default if I'm not mistaken and Ubuntu for Windows appearantly does not have it, but it's definitely doable as my friends have done it on their older pcs somehow.
powershell scripts are a different thing I'll look into after my finals I think
>>
>>60602406
Oh, that's all? Thanks.
>>
File: 1336812458913.jpg (22KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1336812458913.jpg
22KB, 400x400px
How do I open a password protected .rar without meme software? What's even the point of doing this?
>>
>>60602703
>meme software
You mean to crack it?
You need the password unless you want to memeforce it mememan.
>>
Is there a good freeware program that will let me back up the 4TB drives on my desktop to a series of 250GB and 500GB drives? I have a shitload of them laying around and another backup would be handy.
>>
Is there a way to get this goddamn blue light filter off an android phone? It keeps turning on automatically and I'm so sick of it.
>>
>>60602742
What should I use? Every article is someone shilling for different software.
>>
>>60602778
Shit nigga just use 7-zip's .7z format and split the volumes/deferentially.
>Archive format: 7z
>Compression Level: Ultra
>Compression Method: LZMA
>Dictionary Size: 64 MB
>Word Size: 64
>Solid Block Size: 4 GB
>Split to volumes, bytes: 4480M DVD
The Size limit before a split will be ~4gb; then all you have to do is move 62 [7z.00x files] @ 4GB Each... = ~250GB ; continue. I would just dump all your data on another big drive. But my way is one way to do what you are asking about... I am sure there are better methods out there.
>>
>>60602742
No retard he wants to unrar it. There's no way without meme software. Even in the *nix world unrar is a meme.
>>
>>60602778
rsync
>>
>>60602894
FreeFileSync is gud too.
>>
>>60602663
Is ~ in the bash window your Windows Home directory or somewhere else? In any case, in that directory look for a file ".bashrc" using "ls -a"; in that file will be a line "PATH=<list of directories>"; edit it and add ":$HOME/bin" at the end. Save it. Re run it, by typing ". ./.bashrc" and hitting enter. Now ~/bin should be on your PATH. From then on, it should always be there when you open a bash prompt.
>>
I want to find the code behind the NORMDIST function in LibreOffice Calc.

How do I navigate through their source code and find this stuff?
>>
File: 1471262826275.png (68KB, 259x199px) Image search: [Google]
1471262826275.png
68KB, 259x199px
is there anything i can do for python in a productive sense? I'm finishing up my classes involving python and now i'm wondering if there's any point keeping it installed on my computer
>>
How bad is using 1x8GB RAM when it comes to games?

I know dual-channel gives me a reasonable boost since im using a IGPU but if i used a GPU would this matter at all?
>>
>>60596283
My Sony Xperia M4 Aqua is complete cancer. The electronics inside it are falling apart and cannot be repaired. Do not buy a Sony phone.

I also have a work phone. It's a Samsung Galaxy Note 1, and it's absolutely ancient but it still works perfectly and feels comfy.
>>
>>60603127
You're only limited by your own inability. You can literally make anything
>>
>>60596876
RAID 5 is your best bet; it stripes data and can recover data if one drive fails. RAID 10 is for if you expect multiple drives to fail, and it requires far more drives to begin with.
>>
>>60598122
Yes, but be careful if your current hard drive has more data on it than the size of the SSD. If you have 900GB of data on your hard drive, you can't migrate that onto a 256GB SSD, for obvious reasons.
>>
>>60602828
Figure out what your needs are. Considerations:
1. Do you need a microSD slot?
2. Do you prefer capacitive buttons or on-screen buttons?
3. Do you want it to be easy to unlock/root?
4. Would you rather it have a microUSB port or a type-C port?
5. Do you want a headphone jack?
>>
>>60603056
never mind I needed this instead:
https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=blob_plain;f=sysdeps/ieee754/dbl-64/s_erf.c;hb=302bb1a3c327d546b19447d7304bb2b27e9a34de
>>
>>60596876
RAID-6.
Raid-5 is old and meme status
>>
>>60599060
It could well be an AHCI issue. If you don't have AHCI enabled, this will sadly never, ever work. You can install Windows on the SSD from scratch and copy things across, but drive cloning will not work.

Or it could be something else; it's been over a year now since I had to do that shit for a living.
>>
File: auth.png (14KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
auth.png
14KB, 300x300px
>>60591299
How do you handle backups of your google authenticator codes - do you pull their recovery codes manually every now and then?
>>
In what was based MS-DOS/Windows? i mean Apple for example released their OS based on UNIX called "Darwin", Linux similar history but MS-DOS/Windows? in what is based? i never found out ( sorry for the lack of knowledge in advance )
>>
How and when would hosting an FTP server impact my network performance? Would it only do so when there is uploading or downloading happening? What about an http server, like through apache? Just wondering if it would be worth it to purchase hosting vs hosting on my home network.
>>
File: 1440637563700.jpg (51KB, 614x800px) Image search: [Google]
1440637563700.jpg
51KB, 614x800px
I would like an external hard drive for backup and extra storage. I checked the wiki and it was extraordinarily unhelpful. So I ask you:

>Should I buy an internal hard drive with a case, as the wiki suggests?
>What brands should I avoid? Which should I look for?
>What is the best bang for your buck?

Hope my questions aren't too stupid.
>>
>>60603355
A cheap vps is 5 bucks a month.
>>
File: debian-logo.png (44KB, 303x400px) Image search: [Google]
debian-logo.png
44KB, 303x400px
I'm a new Debian user here. I've switched to testing a few months ago, right now Stretch is about to become the new stable, will testing users have to update anything?

(I'm not using the codename, like "stretch", in the apt's sources.list file, I'm using "testing" instead)
>>
>>60603330
There you go:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/86-DOS
>>
Is it possible to underclock RAM before posting? I have 3200mhz ram that I am using with a 5820k cpu, and I am having trouble posting. I don't even know if it is the cause, except the q-code and MEM-OK light suggests so.
>>
>>60603357
get a nas, or build your own, any used desktop you can get for around sixty bucks should have the juice to run a nas, then throw some storage drives at it and install a nas os, there's some debate over which one is the best and most userfriendly.
>>
>>60591299
I'm on parabola with MATE.
When I run screenfetch I get this:

** (mate-session:30396): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-S7myBv9Afw: Connection refused

And then the real screenfetch. How do I remove this?
>>
>>60591299
Can I migrate from http://systemd-free.org/ to parabola gnu/linux-libre?
>>
I have Linux Mint and Windows 10 dual boot on my laptop. It seems like no matter what I do on Win10, I can't get the correct time. I've tried turning off internet time sync, changing the time zone to UTC, changing the time zone to my local time zone, doing both while manipulating the hour, etc. Every time I'll reboot and the time is wrong. How do I actually fix this?
>>
>>60603372
If you want to use stretch when it is stable, change to use the codename before the release (now). If you want to be on the testing branch, do nothing.
>>
Bought some corsair value select ram, 4x4 and put them all in my mobo. Now I get bsod, for the first time in 6 years.

How do I approach this? Just bad ram? Bad bios settings? I upgraded from some no name elpida brand, 4x2.

Windows 7
>>
>>60603420
Its just a warning,nothing you cand do a bout it.
>>
If I have a faulty sound card, will it halt the POST process or is POST only concerned with the essentials like CPU and RAM?
>>
>>60603438
Windows expects the on-board real time clock to be in local time; Linux expects it to be in UTC. You have to get them to agree on one format. A casual search on "Windows system clock in UTC" makes it look like it's easier and more likely to stick if you setup Linux to use local time, rather than have Windows stay on UTC for the RTC. I'd say to check any Mint specific forums for how, since I don't use Mint.
>>
No matter what browser filepicker i use,it just opens a blank window and locks the browser up.What the fuck?
>>
I am using a hackintosh right now. Do I even have a hint of a brain?
>>
What should I do if someone leaks my IP
>>
>>60603733
Install gentoo.
>>
>>60603733
Call your ISP and request an IP change
If they ask why say >I've been compromised
>>
Is firefox multi-process yet?
>>
>>60603714
If you have to seek approval, then you clearly don't.
>>
>>60603830
Been so for years
>>
>>60603885
how about with addons?
>>
I have custody of an iPad. I can't sell it, but I don't know what else to do with it. I already play Jubeat and Reflec Beat.
>>
>>60603891
If the addons support it, been so for years
>>
CUETools doesn't want to work with non PCM Red Book files, so what alternative do I have for splitting these .flac files?
>>
>>60603893
E-book, comic, manga, or any combination of them reader.
>>
>>60603819
Is there anything I can do right now?
>>
>>60603918
Any of those that let me transfer files easily? I'd rather not mess with iTunes. To be honest though, I don't really read anything outside of the stuff I already do purchase.
>>
>>60603929
Not care? What is he going to do? DDoS you? Report it to the police.
Get a VPN. It's less than a delivered pizza.
>>
>>60602577
not the person that asked the original question, but since its been brought up

is there a /g approved debloated win 10? i swear ive seen it posted in a few of these threads, but i never thought to save it for future use. im just looking to put it on an older laptop that i originally removed 10 from a while ago because i hated all the extra BS like cortana, telemetry, and fucking windows defender using 30+% of my cpu even after i disabled everything relating to it
>>
>>60603858
I'm not a /g/ citizen. Doesn't hurt to ask.
>>
>>60603948
This was a family wifi, not my own. I just did something unintentionally stupid
>>
>>60603937
Then purchase stuff in electronic format to use on the Pad.
See what formats iBooks supports, especially see if it lets you go to Project Gutenberg to grab books.
>>
I installed elementaryos, and I tried installing AMD proprietary drivers so I could use the Vulkan SDK, but for some reason DKMS mysteriously commits stupid and the installation fails. Is there a known fix for this? My card is an HD 7850, which I'm fairly certain is supported.
>>
File: 1429583920981.jpg (183KB, 1880x890px) Image search: [Google]
1429583920981.jpg
183KB, 1880x890px
On Windows 7, how do I get my mpv gui to look like pic related? I'm not finding clear instructions since some say to place a input.conf or mpv.conf file in the appdata folder or make a lua folder where the main directory is. I've tried multiple ones, but nothing is changing. Some of the other instructions are written for Linux and I don't know how the directories translate for Windows 7.
>>
>>60603964
Power off the modem; wait 30 sec.; power back up. Odds are you'll get a new IP.
>>
Is this thread still active? w/e my question: let us say for example i download the latest version of ubuntu server basically any linux os without a de or wm... and for instance on ubuntu server there is only a shell -- why is it when i download let's say mate or xfce it does not install all the goodies that come with ubuntu mate or xubuntu? am i missing something here? is it also a bad idea to install multiple de/wm?
>>
>>60603970
I guess I'm a curmudgeon who likes physical stuff.
>>
Why is it that when I hold down my left mouse button on a scroll bar to move it up and down, if I move my cursor too far to the left the position of the scroll bar reverts to where it was before?

How can I disable this feature?
>>
What is this effect called?
>>
>>60603988
I did that a while ago and just now and I don't think I have a dynamic ip
He posted this after posting my IP but I'm not sure if he's full of shit
>>
>>60604081
Do you have a router or a gateway?
>>
>>60604031
Print is dead.
It's the convenience. I can slip a paperback into my briefcase for a trip, or I can slip a few thousand paperbacks into my briefcase for a trip.
Go to the Old Time Radio archives, since you're old, and pull down some classics to listen to.
>>
>>60604094
It's a router
>>
>>60604138
Go in and release your ip.Wait 10 minutes, then renew your ip.If it dosent change then you've got a static ip.If it changes.You're done
>>
how the hell do i fix my earphones?

Sound stopped working on both sides and Idk how to fix them. I've heard about recableing them but i have needed used a solder before and i don't know what to to the wires.

I don't want to throw my iems away, i paid like $100 for em.
>>
File: IMG_20170526_231805.jpg (44KB, 615x385px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170526_231805.jpg
44KB, 615x385px
>>60604192
Yeah it doesn't change
My brother is saying it's a grabify link
>>
>>60604221
Post where you went and checked for the dhcp release button.
>>
>>60604138
Clone your MAC address.
>>
>>60604221
>>60604225
email your ISP and ask.
>>
>>60604081
>digital gangster
>not a .onion email
>ill hack anybody for money!
literally begging to get fucked up by people that actually know what theyre doing, or even the gov if he actually tries something and fucks up/gets caught
sack of shit, calling it. wouldnt want to risk it, but i guarantee its all complete BS
>>
Anyone know a good domain register that keeps your contact information (name, email, address, etc) all private?
>>
My shitty community college told me to pick C++ or Java to start learning to program with. If community college wasn't a big enough tipoff, you should know I'm basically retarded.
Which should I choose?
>>
>>60604271
You have to pay for it at every host
namecheap is very good
>>
>>60604299
I don't mind paying extra for it, I just don't want random autists or work finding out about my anti semitic websites
>>
>>60604291
Since it sounds like you're on your own for a lot, ask around campus, then pick the one most other students are using.
>>
>>60604314
Look for WHOIS GUARD or similar wording
>>
File: spbot.png (31KB, 611x788px) Image search: [Google]
spbot.png
31KB, 611x788px
where can i find more info on all of these settings for spybot? i looked around the site's knowledge base but couldnt find much info on it. im probably gonig to enable all of them, but i want to know what im disabling and what i wont be able to use beforehand
>>
>>60604336
Cheers lad
>>
>>60604256
I hope that's the case
>>60604225
He's looking for it right now
Good I'm such a retard with these things
I went to the grabify discord and they're saying you can't really do much with their ip fishing links since it's a public ip
>>
>>60604388
What the fuck are you going on about?
Go to your fucking router and post a screenshot so we can help your dumbfucking ass
>>
Anyone know if 2180p @ 72hz is achievable for a Dell p2415? For my u2414 someone posted custom timings in the forums of the original CRU thread.
>>
is there a linux distro for touch screen laptops?
>>
>>60604450
any of them
>>
I'm trying to install Arch on my laptop right now but in the live USB its telling me
 sh: wifi-menu: not found 
whenever I try and use wifi-menu.
Is this new or something? I know this worked before. Is there a page for older Archlinux install versions cause my laptop doesn't have an ethernet port.
>>
File: Screenshot (104).png (127KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (104).png
127KB, 1366x768px
>>60604395
grabify(.)link
This is what I'm talking about
Apparently it's nothing
>>
>>60604471
Something that focuses on the touch screen aspect? Gestures, zoom, screen rotation. Stuff like that?
>>
>>60604489
Did you pacstrap the base setup?
Did you chroot and run it?
>>
>>60604501
ANY
OF
THEM
Its literally the same damn software on any distro you pick
>>
>>60604489
wifi-menu -o (insert network card name)
>>
>>60604499
Im done.
>>
>>60604531
Prepackaged for touch screen support and ease of use? Not just mimicking mouse input?
>>
>>60604523
I only just dd the iso onto the USB. It seems like it is missing a ton of commands if I tab tab.
Only thing I have done was download latest iso, dd it, EFI boot on macbook to USB and try wifi-menu.
>>
>>60604540
How hard is it time understand?
What is it you need clarifying?
I'm telling you what the fuck happened and I am giving you the information I able to give you.
>>
>>60604560
Thats not how you install it,and that is why you're having problems.
Follow the god damn install guide faggot.
Fucking shit
>>
I accidentaly deleted a windows partition and reinstalled it. The only problem is that it's now windows 10 home instead of windows pro. What do?
>>
>tfw installing Gentoo, thus making the meme real
>decide to change profile to one that uses gnome
>now have to update @world set
>needs to process 199 fucking packages
>rebuilding and compiling every single last file in every single last one of those packages
>process is taking over two (2) hours
Fucking kill me now, I should've known better than to install anything more than the absolute minimum.
End rant.
>>
>>60604571
Then what the fuck is wrong? I've installed Arch a dozen times by now. I torrent the iso then
 dd if=arch.iso of=/dev/sdb 
then boot from it. I probably just fucked up the iso or usb some how.
>>
>>60604565
THRICE NOW i have asked you to show what you did to attempt to change your fucking up.And EACH TIME you have posted shit that is irrelevant.
If you want people to help you, FUCKING LISTEN TO THEM.
>>
>>60604603
use syslinux bra
>>
>>60604603
>what the fuck is wrong
EVERYTHING
That is not how to fucking install it you asshat.
Fucking follow the guide
>>
>>60604618
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/USB_flash_installation_media
>dd bs=4M if=/path/to/archlinux.iso of=/dev/sdx status=progress && sync
>>
>>60604639
NO FUCKING SHIT
THAT ISNT THE FUCKING PART OF THE INSTALL YOU WERE AT
YOU SAID YOU WERE IN THE GOD DAMN LIVE ENVIRONMENT.
FOLLOW THE FUCKING INSTALL GUIDE
>>
File: image000000.png (96KB, 432x768px) Image search: [Google]
image000000.png
96KB, 432x768px
>>60604606
Calm the fuck down
I told you I don't know ow what the fuck I'm doing and I'm giving you info as I get it.
He says he pressed the button and nothing changes
>>
>>60604647
I just rewrote the iso using rufus and it works perfectly fine now what the fuck.
>>
File: IMG_20170527_001250.jpg (35KB, 432x460px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170527_001250.jpg
35KB, 432x460px
>>60604606
>>60604662
After pressing the reset button, the message shows but the IP doesn't change
>>
File: Courage.jpg (18KB, 384x288px) Image search: [Google]
Courage.jpg
18KB, 384x288px
>select all cars
>alls cars are clearly selected
>wrong! select all signs
>all signs clearly selected
>ok green check mark!
>post
>Oops, you mistyped the captcha
>back
>click until all store fronts disappear
>oops, incorrect. select all cars
>select all cars
>post
>you must wait 4 min and 23 seconds before posting a duplicate reply
>>
>>60604850
legacy captcha nigger-lover
>>
>>60604881
how do I use it?
>>
>>60604921
4chanX>Settings>Legacy captcha

Then you will use the old captcha, atleast with the ccd0 fork it is this way.
>>
File: 2017-05-26-234307_156x90_scrot.png (3KB, 156x90px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-26-234307_156x90_scrot.png
3KB, 156x90px
>>60604921
[settings]>[+] Quotes and Replying>Legacy captcha, at the bottom.
>>
>>60604978

>>60604978

>>60604978
>>
how do i get a job that isnt shit
>>
File: a.png (108KB, 728x852px) Image search: [Google]
a.png
108KB, 728x852px
>>60598374
>proprietary drivers
>2017
>>
File: wherehavealltheskinheadsgone.jpg (174KB, 500x589px) Image search: [Google]
wherehavealltheskinheadsgone.jpg
174KB, 500x589px
What is best thinnest 13 or 15 inch laptop under 200 dollars?
Thread posts: 392
Thread images: 54

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.