[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MariaDB/MySQL vs PostgreSQL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

I'm trying to find out when and why one is decisively better or more appropriate, but I can't find any solid information. What would be most appropriate for something like GitLab or Bitbucket for <25 users?
>>
flip a coin. if you don't like the result then pick postgres and don't wasting time on researching this because both are good enough
>>
for less than 25 people, literally anything would work, probably even sqlite

probably postgres because it has way more features, especially bson querying, that you may want to use in the future
>>
>>60590482
>ly even sqlite
>probably postgres because it has way more features, especially bson querying, that you may want to use in the future
Despite having only used mariaDB in the past, I am kind of leaning towards PostgreSQL for this because they explicitly recommend it. Their arguments weren't very convincing though so I thought I'd ask before committing to one over the other. Their documentation suggest switching databases is exceptionally difficult for some reason.
>>
>>60590336

my experience is that PostgreSQL is superior. at the end of the day oracle would like you to purchase their "enterprise product" so technically mysql supports stored procedures and calculated columns in views but that doesn't mean they work well and you hit their limitations here and there.

The biggest one for me is that mysql/maria SP can't return a table to a variable (which DB2 has been doing for like 10+ years so I assume oracle has done for 15+) . So you end up writing an SP that stores a result set to a temporary table in RAM just so you can use that table like a variable. At that point I swore to never use MySQL again.

For web / < 25 either works.
>>
>>60590336
Postgres is better in every way. MySQL is the php of databases.
>>
>>60590810

mysql SQL is easier to read and write and more forgiving with crappy schemas and key constraints

>reread my post - I was sure it was a pro as I typed it... now second thoughts.
>>
>>60590336
Despite being indecisive as fuck I think I might go with PostgreSQL.
>>
>>60590336
Start with Postgres. If you get stuck and pissed off then switch to MySQL and life will be easier. If you're still getting stuck then find a different profession.
>>
>>60590336
It's a number of small things, annoying details and performance differences that sets them apart. Like MySQL apparently can't do full outer joins. Search some more.

That said, >>60590482 is right.
>>
>>60590336
> What would be most appropriate for something like GitLab or Bitbucket for <25 users?
MySQL is good enough.
I don't code, I'm just a sysadmin. From my point of view, MySQL offers an easy master-master replication, but its way of replicating the data just cannot compete with PostgreSQL, because Postgres replication literally sends diffs of RAM pages to a slave, which is the most precise way to replicate a database. MySQL is garbage in that regard, although it's still possible to work with it.
>>
I work with all three and got more appeal for MariaDB at the time.
>>
>>60593522
>I don't code, I'm just a sysadmin.
>>
>>60593522
>just a sysadmin
and a shit one on top. if you'd look at the portfolio of mariadb with percona and galera, mysql shits the bed.

sage used to go in all fields
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.