[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wrong Number spam

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: phone bullshit.png (381KB, 570x484px) Image search: [Google]
phone bullshit.png
381KB, 570x484px
I keep getting spam calls and texts (all scammers, some phishing texts even) to my mobile phone that are all meant for someone else. It all started very suddenly in January, and I have had this number for over 15 years without getting any kind of spam like this before. I'd really prefer not to have to change it.

There's been nothing suspicious going on with my credit or anything, and I was able to find records online of the person who the telemarketers are asking for (including a speeding ticket she got last year). It says she is some old black lady who lives in the same state as me.

How does this kind of thing even happen? Is there anything I can do to stop it now that it's started? I put myself on the Do Not Call list but it didn't seem to make much of a difference.
>>
>>60571776
https://youtu.be/CarFx87nAU0
>>
>>60571776
Put up a whitelist for awhile and eventually it'll stop. After enough instantly dropped calls they'll get the hint.
>>
Should I try calling the old black lady? I'm assuming there's nothing she could do about it even if it is her fault (or maybe it isn't and she had her identity stolen or some crap).

I'm guessing she or someone else signed up for some sketchy shit in her name and used my phone number as the contact info. Is that what usually happens?
>>
tfw get random phonecalls everyday from pajeets, armenians, and mexicans pushing scams from solar panels to IRS bullshit
>>
>>60573655
do you think you did something to cause it? Or did they just randomly start calling?
>>
>>60574492
i started randomly receiving these kind of calls about three years ago. i don't think i did anything, i think my number probably just leaked somewhere or another and wound up in a database for shills.

my number is also well over 5 years old at this point too, so it's been out there for some time in comparison to people i know who seem to have new numbers every couple years.
>>
We need some kind of service like gmail's spam filter, but for phone numbers. Right now it seems like the only solution is to either change your number and hope your new one isn't a recycled one that's already being spammed, or ignore/block everyone who's not in your contacts list so they can only reach you through voicemail. The system is fucked.
>>
>>60571776
OP, did you lend your phone to a person of color for any length of time?
>>
>>60574688
>gmail's spam filter, but for phone numbers
what is Google Voice?

I give my GVoice number to 99% of people. so when it ends up in a database or whatever that is sold or stolen, Google can automatically block the spam.
>>
>>60574783
of course not, I would never lend my phone to anyone
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.