[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GNOME or KDE?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 9

GNOME or KDE?
>>
XFCE
>>
>>60564787
Neither.
>>
LXDE
>>
>>60564793
fpbp
>>
>>60564806
but what then?
>>
>>60564787
KDE is ugly, use LXDE+OpenBox.
>>
>>60564829
CDE
>>
>>60564787
Both are mediocre
KDE could use a little more polish and the GNOME developers remove features (typeahead from nautilus) for no reason
>>
GNOME

>>60564793
>>60564817
>>60564835
>what is high dpi scaling
>>
Try both and see which you like. Personally I use Gnome on my laptop which has a touchscreen and KDE on my desktop. Gnome just feels better as a mobile-ish OS. The design really lends way for touchpad use and if you like using a touchscreen (with a stylus like a civilized person, of course) then it just feels better. This might have to do with Gnome actually working on Wayland. The touchscreen certainely wasn't very responsive on X.org. KDE definitely feels more like a typical modern workstation type of environment. It's very comfortable to use at a desk with a big screen but I didn't find it as appealing on my small laptop's screen.
>>
Gnome 3 (with extensions) >everything else
>>
>>60564887
Pretty much this.
>>
>>60564835
>KDE is ugly
>use deprecated gtk2 panel for openbox
>>
>>60564882
>>what is high dpi scaling
Indeed, what is this? Some meme you just created?
>>
>>60564907
>extensions
That's not how you spell javascript scripts
>>
>>60564787

If you have to pick one, pick KDE.

But seriously, just use MATE or something.
>>
>>60565215
>>use deprecated gtk2 panel for openbox
pls explain
>>
Tiling wm > DE
>>
>>60565284
LXDE isn't developed anymore. LXDE doesn't even have a github page anymore. https://github.com/lxde?page=1
LXQT is being developed, and the devs are pushing less than an update a year because there's not enough of them.

Even then, all LXDE does is give you a panel, a very basic terminal emulator and a settings menu. It also has lxsession to handle polkit for proper freedesktopware integration.

You would get a similar experience running openbox by itself and adding your favourite panel to it, along with a few tools to configure displays, openbox and themes. The only good thing to come out of lxde is lxappearance and it runs anywhere.
>>
Gnome is comfy and bloated as fuck
>>
KDE. They finally fixed the stupid icons on the desktop thing and it has a nice icon toolbar like windows 8 and 10. They also don't execute blocking javascript when doing desktop transitions like gnome does.
>>
>>60565386
>You would get a similar experience running openbox by itself and adding your favourite panel to it, along with a few tools to configure displays, openbox and themes.
thx for reply, i did this for a year or so without even trying lxde. i managed gtk3 and gtk2 but QT was a pain in the ass.
Is Qt not supported by openbox, or does it backfall to gtk2 ?
>>
Unity.
>>
>>60564882
kill yourself
>high dpi scaling
that's some normalfaggotry right there.
>>
>>60565609
but we dislike unity
>>
>>60565648
Even Ubuntu dislikes Unity.
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/ubuntu-18-04-ship-gnome-desktop-not-unity
>>
File: krunner.png (49KB, 534x427px) Image search: [Google]
krunner.png
49KB, 534x427px
>>60564787
KDE is vastly better than gnome.
>>
>>60565679
I would use kde but I always experience that fuzz/blur and can't figure out how to get rid of it for the life me
>>
>>60566262
what fuzz/blur?
>>
>>60566303
I don't have kde installed right now but basically it's when every window and text "de-sharpens" and everything becomes blurry.
>>
>>60566344
that happens in a lot of situations, but every situation I have witnessed was intentional.
When you activate the window overview, you get all windows together on the screen and then stuff is blurry.
If you have a semitransparent window, the window underneath is blurry, stuff like that.
Or do you mean the text is blurry all the time?
>>
>>60566556
It happens randomly

I'll try to install kde again tonight, I'm still learning how to use Arch Linux
>>
Of the two, gnome.

From experience, kde a shit. Gnome less a shit, but still a shit
>>
File: mfw.webm (1MB, 450x472px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.webm
1MB, 450x472px
>>60564793
Post of first man who commented under name of the anonymous is the best of post.
>>
>>60566578
Honestly, you should just use Antergos and practice installing and configuring Arch in a VM.
>>
XFCE + compton
>>
>>60565230
there's nothing wrong with using javascript as a scripting language
>>
>>60567035
it is when your whole fucking desktop relies on it
>>
>>60564787
KDE
>>
KDE is only underrated because of redhat shills.
>>
>>60564787
KDE is better because mutter works like shit KWİN runs buttery smooth.
>>
>Install GNOME
>Install GNOME extensions
>Desktop crashes

This happens every single time. KDE doesn't have this problem.
>>
File: filepicker.png (141KB, 742x828px) Image search: [Google]
filepicker.png
141KB, 742x828px
KDE
>>
>>60564882
doesn't every x desktop have dpi scaling?
>Xft.dpi:
makes shit bigger for me
>>
File: decisions decisions.jpg (28KB, 428x336px) Image search: [Google]
decisions decisions.jpg
28KB, 428x336px
>>
between the two, kde. Dolphin is the best file manager I've ever used
>>
>>60568121
Werks on my machine with no crashes except for applications built for other DEs
>>
>>60566880
>Install xfce
>Install compton
>Chrome now has severe schedule tearing even on YouTube and Netflix

no
>>
>>60568494
>take 10 minutes to read compton man page
>take another 10 to test out the vsync options
>run compton
>no tearing
daebak
>>
File: af7.jpg (61KB, 573x619px) Image search: [Google]
af7.jpg
61KB, 573x619px
>>60568494
>Chrome
>YouTube
>Netflix
>>
KDE, although this article pretty much sums up my entire experience with it thusfar.

https://www.sudosatirical.com/articles/kde-user-in-awe-experiences-stability-first-time/

>When queried on his desktop of choice, Richard was quick to respond. “Definitely not KDE,” he said emphatically. “I use a heavily customised DWM (tiling window manager) session. I’d much rather spend my time customising key binds and tweaking terminal colour schemes than filing bug reports all day for bloated desktops like KDE. I’ll show you some kickass screenshots if you want.”
>>
>>60564793
this

Gnome is straight up cancer that looks dumb, and like it was made for tablet faggotry (and Budgie does what Gnome wants to do, but better). KDE isn't as bad, it might even be okay for a desktop, but the stupid animation and effects it comes with is incredibly wasteful and pointless, and that's not counting the retarded amount of apps and shit KDE tries to do.

the only decent DE these days is XFCE, and to a (far) lesser extent MATE. LXQt is the only serious challenger.
>>
File: george.jpg (575KB, 4688x4688px) Image search: [Google]
george.jpg
575KB, 4688x4688px
>>60564787
>A desktop environment with vertical tabs? *snort*
>>
File: Screenshot.png (191KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot.png
191KB, 1440x900px
XFCE because of pic related, Chicago95, but KDE is the best looking and most usable DE out of the box, I have no idea why people love Gnome so much because if you're going to rice to make it usable then you might as well stick to XFCE.
>>
File: SuperiorQt.png (205KB, 1280x809px) Image search: [Google]
SuperiorQt.png
205KB, 1280x809px
KDE or LxQt
>superior qt
>krunner
>amazing theming
>dolphin
>kdenlive
>krita
>actual development
>used commerically, not by freefag neckbeards
>>
So, I see you're running Gnome.
>>
>>60564787
KDE
>>
>>60569218
how consistent is that theme in a web browser and libreoffice?
>>
>>60565679
Gnome shell's search bar that you can get just by hitting super and typing can do most of that.
>>
I love Gnome Shell but performance is shit thanks to Mutter, Plasma 5 with Kwin performs butterly in my 6 years old laptop.

Apparently they're trying to fix the Mutter's performance 6 fucking years later.

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=782344
>>
Pantheon
Cinnamon
Gnome
Xfce
Kde
The rest
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.