[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Complete linux and programming noob

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: opengraph-icon-200x200.png (8KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
opengraph-icon-200x200.png
8KB, 200x200px
Could a kind anon recommend me a good source to start learning python? Im completely new to any kind of programming, except some light text adventure games on the ti-83 back in high school. Looking for book recommendations as well as good online resources. Currently win10 but i have ubuntu mate downloaded and i just havent gotten around to installing it on my secondary drive. From what i gather here linux is superior for programming, can someone enlighten me as to why?
>>
https://www.nostarch.com/pythonforkids
>>
>>60561746
Anything but Python the hard way. Author is a sack of shit.
>>
>>60561746
>>
>>60561746
Why not C?
>>
>>60562437
Mostly because blender uses python. i want to get into game design, its what ive wanted to do ever since i was a kid. Im not opposed to a different language, from my research python seems like a good all purpose skill to have, and is apparently "easy" for beginners. Im sure at some point ill also pick up c and c++ because it seems very prevalent in bug name games. Although /g/ memes me into believing c++ is shit.
>>
>>60562675
>game design
Independent? If you are wanting to work for some game dev company you won't have a fun time.
>>
>>60562675
C++ is the most important language of the past century.
>>
>>60562689
Well to start i would love to make independent games. Ive wanted to work for blizz ever since i was a kid, wc1 being my first blizz game. Big dreams, i know, and i understand there is a good chance itll never happen, its just a dream of mine. I dont know exactly where i see myself. I might not even end up in game design, id be happy with a different programming field too. Games have been a big part of my life, i enjoy them very much and regardless of where i end up, i will fulfill my dream of making games. Even if theyre independent games that dont make much money.

>>60562691
Noted friend
>>
>>60562675
>pick up c++
C++ at this point is so complex that people ca't just "pick it up" especially not retards like yourself.
>>
>>60562691
that would be C
and Java for this century so far
>>
>>60563408
It's not like anyone learns all of C++ before doing shit with it.
You only need a small subset for most stuff.

Just look at all the Arduinofags, they use C++ as one of of their first languages without understanding 1% of it.
>>
File: 220px-SDL_Layers.svg.png (9KB, 220x185px) Image search: [Google]
220px-SDL_Layers.svg.png
9KB, 220x185px
>>60563083
here's a thought:

http://lazyfoo.net/tutorials/SDL/

It's intro to SDL, a library for media operations written in c, where you make a game using all of SDL. just follow the guide using python's SDL interface. You would use python, learn some game design basics, and get a head start on c all while figuring out for yourself how to program -as opposed to mindlessly following a guide or in pure theory.
>>
File: 1489129373364.jpg (42KB, 421x421px) Image search: [Google]
1489129373364.jpg
42KB, 421x421px
>>60563669
Hey thanks man, i think ill get started with that when i get home from work. Looks like a great place to start. Have a not so rare pepe for your trouble
>>
>>60561746
If you have the patience I definitely recommend Mark Lutz's books. He is a bit repetitive, but his writing is the most comprehensive non-watered down stuff on Python I have ever read. You can start with Learning Python and then move on to Programming Python. The former teaches the language and the latter teaches the standard library and talks about everyday programming scenarios.

Stay away from meme Python books with titles such as "Learn Python in 30 minutes" etc. They are for autistic front-end developers who love their shitty .io domains, memescript and NSF (Next Shitty Framework).
>>
>>60564194
Thank you, ill check them out.

What os does /g/ program on?
>>
>>60564280
gahnoo+=linux
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.