[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ubuntu help pleas

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: linux-wallpaper-1.jpg (22KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
linux-wallpaper-1.jpg
22KB, 500x375px
SO recently my windows 10 just sharded on me and suddently stopped working completely . took my laptop to some niggers to try and fix it turnes out I cant boot up windows without re-installing and loosing all my precious dlls. so I decided to install ubuntu via usb . I just need to know one thing. I heard that I cant just choose a different directory to install files / programs , I need to write some code that tells the OS where to look when clicking on the shortcut to the application also (for example fruity loops 12 ) when running an application off wine where to load files needed that are on the separate hard drive. am I looking at this the wrong way? do I just need to move the /home directory? I'm dangerously new to this and would like just a tad bit of help . To reiterate I installed ubuntu on a usb flash drive. fearing I would loose all my data I removed my hard drive before the installation . now when I boot up I'm getting warnings that I have X_ amount of space left. help please im n00b :i
>>
Install gentoo.
>>
>>60558173
>I heard that I cant just choose a different directory to install files / programs
This is because package managers are mostly shit and package maintainers are idiots for not giving us option to chose where should the package be installed. It's completely doable.
>I need to write some code that tells the OS where to look when clicking on the shortcut to the application
Yeah you can either "write code" (actually just issuing a command in the console, it's called symlinks) or just use your graphical file manager to create links to desktops. Playonlinux (a GUI WINE manager) gives you a prompt if you want to do so.
> do I just need to move the /home directory?
No. Most of the stuff you can do is inside the /home directory, look at it this way:
/ => systemwide/user independent changes. Take cautions because it may brick your system
/home/USERNAME/ => user specific changes. You can install user specific programs, user specific paths etc here.

So what is your actual question?
>>
>>60558282
I want to make a directiory/folder that leads to my internal hard drive; or whatever I have to do so I can easily install & access my information, I dont mind having to boot up via usb all the time . but I would rather be able to store/access all data on the hard drive.
>>
>>60558282
well because im insane low on storage on the usb but my hard drive has 300gb free. SO essentially I just lead the directory to where I want it ? how can this brick?
>>
>>60558490
>>60558385
So basically making a shortcut link?
>>
>>60558598
well I want to move my / home directory to a specific folder on the hard drive

sudo get-install wine

how can I change the directory of the download to the hard drive? to a specific folder ? essentially I want to change the directory of any 3rd party program && application . will they be able to run without issue if they are installed on the separate?
>>
>>60558730
Nigga, you have chronic autism.
Don't move your /home directory.
While installing Linux you can assign a particular partition to /home and that's it
>>
>>60558598
when I run any update/ download off terminal it does so but only downloads onto USB what command can I put to lead the download/ installation to the hard drive .
>>
>>60558763
No I have no way of backing up my hard drive && im too afraid of accidentally formatting the drive or something. exactly why I removed internal hd was because I was not willing to risk . I dont know what im messing with im probably going to end up making things worse than they already are. nigga I dont like your nigga language
>>
Mounting Home to a Separate Partition .... I cant without formatting . exactly what I don't want to do
>>
sudo mkdir /New_Location/newtmp # Generates Temporary Folder for Programs
sudo cp -a /opt/* /New_Location/newtmp # Moves Programs to Temp folder

sudo rm -rf /opt/ # Removes opt directory

sudo mkdir /New_Location/Program-Files # Generates New Program Directory
sudo ln -s /New_Location/Program-Files /opt # Creates Symbolic Link

sudo cp -a /New_Location/newtmp/* /New_Location/Program-Files # Moves Programs to Program Files Folder
sudo rm -rf /New_Location/newtmp/ # Removes Temp folder

you dweeb get knocked off that high horse
>>
>>60559054
would it be possible to to move /usr, /etc, as well?

I heard that I shouldn't tamper with /tmp .

also what exactly Is gparted?
>>
can I partition without formating internal hd
>>
>>60559054
if I do set up new directory for opt will future downloads revert to the old location
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.