[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do we save Linux?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: plasma-5.10.png (775KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
plasma-5.10.png
775KB, 1920x1080px
And why is the answer gaming?

I just tried out KDE Neon again, I was genuinely impressed you guys. It worked like a charm, fast, responsive. Can be customized to the last detail, if you don't like something. Hadn't had a crash at all (which used to be an issue for me)

If I could game on Linux I'd totally ditch my windows 7 for it. I'm definitely a fan.
>>
>>60553380
>muh games
>but DX 12!!!!

get out
>>
>>60553439
not the op, but what's wrong with liking games?
>>
>how do we save linux
stop trying to make it feel like windows
>>
File: pcGaming.jpg (119KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
pcGaming.jpg
119KB, 720x960px
>PC gaming
ishiggydiggy
>>
>>60553380
Linux needs saving about as much as that hot blond you orbit but will never get with.
>>
I can never decide on a DE.
>>
>>60553380
1- fucking stop making a gorillion special snowflake distros. put all developers to focus on 5 distros max.
2- same but with DE. 5 max, not a gorillion.

WOW I JUST FIXED THE ENTIRETY OF LINUX!!!!
MORE PEOPLE FIXING BUGS AND SHIT INSTEAD OF FORKING FORKS OF BRANCHES OF SIDE PROJECTS!
>>
File: Lennart_poettering_foss.in_2007.jpg (3MB, 3456x2304px) Image search: [Google]
Lennart_poettering_foss.in_2007.jpg
3MB, 3456x2304px
>>60553380

kill this man

and to be safe ban germans from working on anything to do with linux
>>
>>60553380
Linux doesn't really need to be saved, it's actually doing really good outside of consumer products. (IE : Servers, robots, etc.)

If you mean that people should use it as a desktop more often, well, it's mostly a question of doing what >>60553504 said.
>>
we need a few things

1) a company like Canonical to not just have Linux on laptops, but to make hardware that is unique to the OS, and therefore in turn legitimizes it (macOS imo wouldn't be as popular as it turned out if it weren't for its own line of hardware).

the Purism Librem line of computers is a really good start, though i don't fully agree with their design choices, since they mimic the competition too much.

2) full concentration towards at least one distribution, and ideally one with something on par with the AUR, that is easy and accessible to your average user.

3) DE needs to come, out of the box, looking gorgeous, and offer very little reason to not tinker with it. the reality is though that most DE's are total ass until you've either fixed them functionally or aesthetically. autists here will disagree, but i believe the reason most people use Manjaro is access to the AUR, but ALSO to a desktop that is aesthetically pleasing and they don't have to worry about customizing to autistic levels.

in essence, original hardware + community repository + aesthetic DE. you need to merge the hardware of Purism, the community repo of Arch, and the aesthetics of Manjaro together into one complete whole that can be consumer ready.
>>
>>60553380
>postulating an initial open ended question then changing the question to one that seeks validation for your own opinionated answer to the initial question disregarding that the initial question is open ended and has no definitive correct answer
>>
>>60554797
shut the fuck up you fucking faggot
>>
File: 1476438621071.gif (40KB, 350x263px) Image search: [Google]
1476438621071.gif
40KB, 350x263px
>>60554945
make me, buttslut.
>>
>>60554797
>something on par with the AUR
why would anyone want to even be compared to the fucking AUR? Saying we need something like the AUR is an insult. Nuke GNU from orbit it's the only way to be sure.
>>
>>60553461
Summerfag detected.
But here I'll explain. Faggots from /v/ love to infest this board because they think there shit doesn't stink in the world of technology. Creating a stigma that gamer's are braindead manchildren or autists, sometimes a combination of both. But most of the people who say games are for autists are autists themselves.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.