[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tablet for reading but I do linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: ipad-air-photo.jpg (78KB, 984x562px) Image search: [Google]
ipad-air-photo.jpg
78KB, 984x562px
I need a tablet for reading PDF and shit for Uni.
I don't know shit about iOS products and what u can do if jailbroken.
Can I install a terminal or a linux subsystem like termux on Android?
Can I manage the files I have on it?
Can I read PDF and other docs for free?

The iPad air 1 is at a comfy price here, is it good?
>>
>>60544075
you don't have to know anything about iOS, it's pretty easy to pick up. It is not a device you should buy if you want to work with CLI or if you want to work in the same fashion as you would on a PC. You shouldn't want to do that either way, it's a tablet, and it is designed to be a good tablet. It comes with an app called iBooks that has built in PDF support, you can just download and open any PDF in that, or you can download any other PDF reader thats available on the iOS app store.
iBooks supports epub and PDF. if you want txt support, iCloud drive can store that for you. If you want to open a word file you can use Pages, which is a word processor that you can get from Apple free of charge.
Do not expect it to have a file manager. The OS is made from a different standpoint, instead of you having to make a coherent file structure for your documents, the apps themselves store the documents that are relevant to them.
>>
>>60544312
But with the jailbreak what can I get? Like a file manager support or a more open OS?
I mean the cli because what I need is a PC as well, but mostly a PDF reader. The surface is costly still and only the pro 3 supports linux enough. Also, the 10" seems better than the 12" of the surface. I'm still lurking around.
>>
Wait for the Lenovo Tab 4 plus. Seems legit and cheap.
>>
>>60544416
Getting it jailbroken, which can be a pain, updates wise, will allow you to install tweaks from repositories. There are file managers and command line interfaces, but it's a tablet, so usefulness/experience can vary. Other than a bunch of tweaks, jailbreaking nowadays is mostly useless, unless you want to pirate apps.
>>
>>60544459
>10" FHD, octacore 4gb ram, 64gb, 200£.
It sure seems interesting for the price

>>60544513
I might pirate a few, but I really don't care about apps for the use I'm looking for.
>>
>>60544075
Just check LineageOS list of supported devices and install that and Termux
>>
>>60544075
You can either get a w10 or an android tablet.
I wouldn't bother with apple crap.
>>
>>60544075
> Can I install a terminal
Yes. Many console packages are ported to iOS, like nano, dnsutils, openssh.
> linux subsystem
Darwin is UNIX.
> Can I manage the files I have on it?
Yes, but filesystem tree is shit (ex. every app have its data in /mnt and instead of apps names you have UUIDs). But yes, you can.
> Can I read PDF and other docs for free?
Yes.
> The iPad air 1 is at a comfy price here, is it good?
Not really, since it's the latest Apple tablet with 1GB RAM. 2017 iPad and Air 2 and later both have 2GB. You can't jailbreak 2017 iPad yet, there are hints that it'll be possible later this year.
>>
>>60545822
>android tablets
>ever
Nope.jpg. Windows or iOS. Maybe when Fuchsia rolls out Android on tablets won't be shit tier.
>>
>>60544075
iPad is your best choice. Android tablets are all garbage.
>>
>>60544075
Surface pro, literally my set up
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.