[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

VHS Tape Archival - Advice Needed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

File: vhs tapes.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
vhs tapes.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
I'm looking to backup a bunch of VHS tapes before they become unplayable. What's my best option for recording to a PC? I already bought an editing deck with a built in Time Base Corrector on /g/'s recommendation to clean up the image, but how do I get that to my computer? I'm looking at a bunch of USB options since my graphics card doesn't support things like composite. Does this look like it would be ok, or is there a better option out there?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036VO2BI/
>>
>>60540307
Is the image yours? that's a pretty cool anime collection
>>
>>60540345

It's not, just some image I had from /a/. Some guy who's wife told him to get rid of all his fansubbed anime, some of which doesn't exist online in any form. There's a frightening lack of archival for old /a/ related tapes out there, so it's a good example of what I'm trying to do.

I'm assuming after I back up my tapes, burning them to Blu-Ray Discs be the best long term storage option right?
>>
>>60540307
A capture card perhaps might do the trick.
>>
>>60540307
i made a thread like this not long ago. apparantly youre better off using a old win xp/2000 computer with an ATI capture card since most modern usb capture cards are shit
>>
>>60540307
Download digital copies of all of the ones that you can find online. For any left over, >>60540372 would probably be your best bet
>>
>>60540372

I did look into that, & from what I've read, most Capture cards that do Analogue formats like Composite won't work properly on anything past windows XP. I could dual boot XP, but I don't think my Mobo would support cards that old.

>>60540386

Fuuuuck, I only want to do this once too. Do I really have to build a windows XP tier PC just to properly backup Composite & S-Video tapes? There's got to be SOME usb capture card that isn't complete shit out there right?

>>60540389

Most of what I want to backup is home movies, I only used those anime tapes as an example.
>>
>>60540307
tranfsers are in real time op so unless you are neet this is going to take years maybe just do the ones that you can't torrent
>>
Worst comes to worse, use a DVD recorder. Will give you serviceable results.
>>
I am interested. I only have ~3 milk crates full of old VHS tapes though, so I don't think it would take more than a week or two to go through them all
>>
File: capture.png (843KB, 766x711px) Image search: [Google]
capture.png
843KB, 766x711px
I've done this with three tapes some years ago. All I did was use the VCR rca jack/cables, then I put the yellow into my old graphics card and the audio into my motherboard jack in with a Y connector.

Only downfall is audio comes from only one speaker. I've been trying to find how to turn mono into stereo, by just copying the channel, but it was hard to find when I looked.
>>
>>60540534
have you tried using audacity?
>>
File: Lain_awake.gif (216KB, 838x650px) Image search: [Google]
Lain_awake.gif
216KB, 838x650px
>>60540405
There's a few capture cards that don't require a PC at all, like the Avermedia live gamer portable, good luck op
>>
File: capture.png (629KB, 637x617px) Image search: [Google]
capture.png
629KB, 637x617px
>>60540567
I haven't messed with them in years. I don't honestly care about the old stuff anymore. Especially the fusion stuff because the amateurs have advanced the art. I do have an old documentary about social class in America that helped me understand some things.
>>
>>60540567
You could easily do this with ffmpeg.
>>
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E5ITE2W/
I'd recommend this card anon. Even though it is a cheap price, it is a high quality capture card and the software that comes with it isn't shit. If you do buy it and use the software, make sure to set the file to DVD quality.
>>
>>60540367
optical has about a 15 year lifespan, all my cds/dvds from the 90's 00's have died.
>>
>>60540679
>all my cds/dvds from the 90's 00's have died.
Odd, mine haven't. Do you have or use hair products around them?
>>
>>60540386
Might be right. I have 2 capture cards (huappage & avermedia) that both look like shit with analogue captures on win7 & 10.
>>
>>60540405
Blackmagic Intensity will do composite and S-Video totally fine and the software is frequently updated and supported on Windows 7/10 and macOS.

It costs $200 though.
>>
>>60540405
Old dells with pre-haswell i5s go for around $150, and I've seen core2 dells for $50-80. Even cheaper are pcie-pci adapters and a virtual machine if you can pass through your capture card (never tried this myself).
>>
File: asus_eah4870_die_2.jpg (41KB, 600x475px) Image search: [Google]
asus_eah4870_die_2.jpg
41KB, 600x475px
I used this to capture VHS.
>>
>>60540307
This video will explain everything for you...

https://youtu.be/sn_TDa9zY1c

The only thing different that I use is I used the lossless codec, recorded the audio on a different program, synced the audio, made a lossless avi video, used XMedia mp4 h.264 10240kBps.l audio 192kBps stereo. I might switch to HEVC h.265 3072kBps though.
>>
File: image.jpg (137KB, 640x656px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
137KB, 640x656px
Pick up old Mac Mini off craigslist.
Get Sony DVMC-DA2 or similar analog to DV converter.
Above should cost you under $100 in all.
Capture tapes into iMovie.
Play Nanosaur when you're done.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.