[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What language to learn first?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

File: bleach-clorox-drinking-.jpg (16KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
bleach-clorox-drinking-.jpg
16KB, 400x300px
Hello, i want to learn everything i can about computer science and programming, i am already signed up for CS in academia but am excited to start.

Simply put, where do i start?
- what language should i learn first?
- What IDE should i learn it in?
- what online resources should i use to learn it with?
- how did you start learning?

I'm a man without a budget so freeware is bestware.

I am on windows 10 (prefer 7 but i don't have a copy nor the money to get one); i have no experience in CS, only know programming a little bit; i mostly don't know what i am doing tbhfam.

>inb4 - CS in academia is useless
I don't care all that much, any education is better than none. I am interested in this meme, maybe be more conscise and explain why it is a waste if you are going to bring it up?
>inb4 - newfag
yes now fuck off
>>
you will learn all paradigms eventually as a programmer

start with whichever interests you most so you can stay motivated to learn
>>
>>60539616
Install Gentoo.
>>
>>60539616
>- what language should I learn first?
C++
>- What IDE should I learn it in?
Visual Studio
>- what online resources should i use to learn it with?
Read books. Use online resources as a reference.
>- how did you start learning?
Start by going down this list:
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering
>>
File: memeit.jpg (5KB, 120x139px) Image search: [Google]
memeit.jpg
5KB, 120x139px
>>60539671
>http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering
>Contrary to the popular belief, learning to use a 1970s style terminal text editor like vim/emacs is completely unnecessary and unhelpful.
>>
Whichever one you're most interested in because actually sticking with it it is more important than whatever bullshit some memer on /g/ says.
Btw the answer is C. And use vim you fucking faggot.
>>
File: 1384575939568.png (74KB, 259x259px) Image search: [Google]
1384575939568.png
74KB, 259x259px
>>60539616
>Hello, i want to learn everything i can about computer science and programming,
...and I would like to memorize the entire library of Alexandria. Realistically, you want to focus your limited time and resources on what you want to do with those programming skills.
>i am already signed up for CS in academia but am excited to start.
olawd, if you want to code for a live, switch to CE or a programming major like Software Engineering. CS has too much theory for tradework, not enough math for data analysis, and a lack of skill to hit the market without additional traing/internships
>Simply put, where do i start?
Any Intro to programming book is fine.
>- what language should i learn first?
Usually you will be started with a modern multiparadigm language like Java or Python just to learn the concepts
>- What IDE should i learn it in?
Depends on the language
Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++, very gentle book, teaches a few bad habits
>>
File: 1486403872071.png (174KB, 962x543px) Image search: [Google]
1486403872071.png
174KB, 962x543px
>>60539616
Hindi, C++ and Java
Visual studio, Hindi Edition
Youtube videos made by pajeets
Reading English subtitles
>>
>>60539697
yeah, for programmers isn't necessary, only for people that manage servers with no x or something like that
>>
File: autism.png (195KB, 985x485px) Image search: [Google]
autism.png
195KB, 985x485px
>>60539697
Friends don't let friends be autistic
>>
>>60539821
kek
>>
>>60539616
>language
C is patrician as fuck

>IDE
Only spics and niggers use those, use vi

>online resources
I like Kochan's book on C, but you HAVE to read K&R eventually. You can get pdfs of these for free if you are cheap

>how did you start learning
I learned BASIC on a Vic 20 first, then moved onto C and assembler a couple years later once I got a computer with DOS.
>>
File: 1443159694021.png (481KB, 811x599px) Image search: [Google]
1443159694021.png
481KB, 811x599px
>>60539616
Step 1: Don't ask fucking /g/ about this. /g/ is dumb as hell and will either tell you to study their dumbass pet languages without regard to knowing what beginners actually need, or will deliberately try to set you up for failure with a regimen not even they went through, see pic related.
>>
>>60539834
>>60539844
vim is great when you're lying in bed with a laptop.
>>
>>60539616
>where do i start?

You answer two questions:
- What do you want to make?
- Are you just doing this because you believe it will make you lots of money?
>>
>>60539671
>unironically recommending namespace std::boost::template<fuck>([](you->yes){&*you()})) to a beginnner
kek
https://dorinlazar.ro/why-c-sucks-2016-02-edition/

>>60539616
start with basic C and then move on to Java. for C use a text editor of choice and compile from the command line. for Java get IntelliJ IDEA Community Edition
>>
>>60539956
>https://dorinlazar.ro/why-c-sucks-2016-02-edition/
>But it’s the same with advanced physics. Yes, neutrinos, bla bla bla, but does that make my car go faster? No? Ok,

Anti-intellectuals can go die in a fire.
>>
>>60539875
where do i ask then?

>>60539884
>What do you want to make?
pretty much anything. i got my eyes on C++ because it is so versatile
>Are you just doing this because you believe it will make you lots of money?
I don't expect to become the next elon musk or anything ike tht, every idea i have had has already beeen built and better than i could. I have the intent to learn it for the sake of having an assured job in the future when the robots take over, but i am learning because i am genuinely interested in such a skill as understanding software and hardware of a computer.

>>60539956
>start with basic C and then move on to Java.
i hear that java is not that good, is it because of all the cuntlet memers on 4chan or is it because it really is? I know it tends to run quite damn slow sometimes from experience but I am familiar so a may try to learn it again. Looking at C++ though because it appears to be closser to what machines are programmed in than java, also has a shorter source code to machine language distance than java, no virtual machines need apply from what i understand.

>>60539874
>Only spics and niggers use those, use vi
Text based programming is harder to visualise, IDE's provide a nice visualisation of how the different strings are arranged.

>I learned BASIC on a Vic 20 first, then moved onto C and assembler a couple years later once I got a computer with DOS.
1. heard about basic, don't know if i would be interested.
2. Assembler is confusing af, if i understand it is practically hexadecimal and nothing else
3. you must be old to not have been born when Disk OS existed.
4. Please provide a sample of each of the languages you learned so that i may compare them to sate my autism.
>>
>>60539616

Roll a dice.

1 C# in Visual Studio Community
2 Java in Eclipse
3 Python in PyCharm Community
4 C in Visual Studio Community
5 Javascript in Visual Studio Code
6 C++ in Visual Studio Community
>>
>>60539956
>https://dorinlazar.ro/why-c-sucks-2016-02-edition/
>Namespaces are useless and make the code way too verbose

Is this nigger serious?
>>
>>60540106
Im most interested in C++ due to versitility, i hear good things about python but frankly i am not sure.

C is a maybe.
Java in eclipse, i have some experience in that, minute experience though. Maybe i should solidify that?
I have a windows so C# would not be very practical.
Javascript i might learn if a were looking into web design, but right now i am just looking into application right now.

plan to make games a s a way to practice the skills i learn, maybe applications too. Don't plan on selling them, may share them with you guys though. I think i will just choose either Java or C++.

Which should i choose? I am familiar with java and therefore it is less intimidating, but C++ tends to have more capabilities and is more efficient.
>>
>>60540097
>i hear that java is not that good, is it because of all the cuntlet memers on 4chan or is it because it really is?
the former

>I know it tends to run quite damn slow
Java is fast. It's fast enough for Amazon, Netflix, PayPal, Credit Suisse, Goldman Sachs, Intel, SAP and thousands of other big companies. And it's certainly fast enough for a beginner programmer.

>Looking at C++ though because it appears to be closser to what machines are programmed in than java, also has a shorter source code to machine language distance than java, no virtual machines need apply from what i understand.
Yes. Are you planning on learning programming by doing AAA games or engines for DAWs? Because if not then this is irrelevant. What's relevant is the fact that C++ is complicated and confusing, especially for a beginner.
>>
>>60539616
Learn english first
>>
>>60540508
Fair enough I start with Java then and move towards C++.
>>
>>60540508
all of those involve C++ and most of them are not run on C++.

I will do Java regardless because i am used to Java.
>>
>>60540097
Java is the de facto interviewing language. A lot of intro to cs, data structures, and algorithms books/classes are also for Java nowadays.

Some people dislike Java because it's unnecessarily verbose and it throws a fit if you're not pedantic about types. Both of these are great for beginners.

Harvard's Intro to CS course is online on cs50.tv
Berkeley Data Structures is on datastructur.es
Project Euler and Leetcode are also good tools for learning how to think like a programmer.

DrJava is probably the most newbie-friendly IDE. It's free and on Windows. It has a built in interactive shell and helps you with JUnit (read up on test-driven programming).

Honestly, Reddit is better than /g/ for learning programming. Try /r/learnprogramming.
>>
Java is such a shit language, it's almost dead too. Unless of course you plan on making shit tier apps for shit-tier companies for the rest of your life.
>>
>>60540097
>i got my eyes on C++ because it is so versatile
What gives you that impression? What are the things you've thought about that you would like to work on, that you believe C++ would be good for?
>>
>>60540750
>Java is the shit
>>60540754
>Java is shit

which one do i believe?
>>
>>60540202
C# is actually by Microsoft. There are also free versions of Visual Studio.
It's incredibly similar to Java but there's probably less good resources.
Check out Ruby on Rails if you ever want into webdev.
Android is just Java if you ever want to try that.

I would try C just to learn about pointers, garbage collection, and to see what kind of weird shit happens without the compiler keeping you from fucking up. It's a fun first language to poke with a stick. Just don't stay with it.
>>
>>60540754
It was big for a while, but most companies (that wont pay you with sand) are focusing on cloud.

Java will without a doubt, will be obsolete in the next 4-5 years. And sadly, that's how long it should take for a good developer to master Java. I don't see the payoffs in learning it.
>>
>>60540794
dunno.
>>
>>60540801
Both desu.
>>
just remember that OOP is harmful
avoid C++, learn pure C and Haskell
>>
>>60540849
>Haskell
GTFO with that meme shit you fucker.
>>
>>60540801
Java dev has more job postings than any other language, and really high salaries.
There's also so much shit written in it that it's pretty futureproof.
It's not a perfect language, but it's the standard for education, interviewing, etc.
/g/ gets elitist over the stupidest things.

>>60540810
Oh, come on. It's not a "trendy" language anymore, but Java dev is going to be around for a long time.
>>
>>60540810
>muh cloud
cloud goes down and your business goes down.
>>
File: hahaha.png (65KB, 1144x418px) Image search: [Google]
hahaha.png
65KB, 1144x418px
>>60540868
"High salaries" > oh ye definitely being used widely around the world.
>>
>>60540882
#1 in salary:
http://www.business2community.com/tech-gadgets/15-highest-paying-programming-languages-2016-01559832

#2 job posting popularity:
https://www.techworm.net/2017/02/top-9-demand-programming-languages-2017.html
>>
>>60539616
>Simply put, where do i start?
Install VirtualBox on your Windows machine and a popular Linux distribution like Ubuntu on that so you can learn command line development tools (this forms the foundation for every development tool you'll use later).

C so you understand the memory management that underlies every other programming language. Then learn a language with classes like Java and a language where functions are first class objects like Python (C technically fits the bill but C is pretty much unusable for most programming tasks).

vi is the best editor to start with. Then you can progress to something more user friendly like Visual Studio Code.

StackOverflow and the official documentation for any language/framework you are trying to learn (just read it slowly, section by section, in order).

I took a rigorous (math heavy) CS program in university.
>>
File: typical javatard.png (60KB, 782x522px) Image search: [Google]
typical javatard.png
60KB, 782x522px
>>60540750
>Both of these are great for beginners

No, it's not. It's great for brainlets to get "partial credit" for writing generic boiler plate code.
>>
>>60540849
>Thinks C++ is OOP

It's all about the templates and lambda now.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.