[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SteamOS Drops AMD Drivers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: 1495494403323.jpg (66KB, 970x545px) Image search: [Google]
1495494403323.jpg
66KB, 970x545px
Valve is instead switching instead to the open source drivers which are frequently faster, and more stable, than AMD's own internal driver efforts.

For anyone who doesn't know Valve has been hiring senior GNU/Linux driver devs to work on the open source drivers for a while now.
The rumor is they're working on a next-generation Steam Machine built around the next-gen Ryzen+Vega SOC hardware that will make Jaguar based SOCs look like toys.
>>
Why does Steam OS even exist. They haven't done a god damn thing with it. I haven't even seen a "real" steam machine yet.

Is Valve ever gonna release a console/PC hybrid thing or not, and if not, what the fuck was the purpose of Steam OS and the controller and everything
>>
File: laughing sluts9809890.png (464KB, 500x625px) Image search: [Google]
laughing sluts9809890.png
464KB, 500x625px
>>60539325
>GNU/Linux driver devs
>>
>>60539339
there have been a lot of steam machines. they released them too early imo
>>
>>60539339
Sam as Tizen probably. They want to have something there just in case.
>>
>>60539339
The controller is pretty useful for browsing and decent for true couch coop. I hear the link is great if you have a halfway decent router and a wired connection so basically just use your pc for now.

My biggest issue is with big picture mode. It has all tge features but the appearance and navigation is terrible IMO
>>
>>60539325
AMD officially supports their open source drivers on new cards anon.
>>
>>60539432
This.

Does this mean that they are dropping fglrx? Did they even support fglrx?
>>
>>60539339
>what the fuck was the purpose of Steam OS and the controller and everything
a backup plan in case microsoft majorly fucks something up (which is inevitable) which would destroy gaben's whole business
>>
>>60539339
Consider the following:
1: They're not investing a lot of money because they can take advantage of the existing ecosystem, they just need to push in the correct places.
2: +90% of their business depends on a direct competitor with its own game store, that by itself is already suicidal and if we take in account the past Microsoft's anti-competitive practices then just waiting would be nuts. The fears of Microsoft taking advantage of its dominant position to kill the competition are already being materialized with UWP, the forced updates to windows 10, the forced updates inside windows 10 itself (this guarantees the average joe will not fight back) and windows 10 S. Microsoft is intelligent, they use the "boil the frog slowly principle" so people will be like "nah, that will never happen", and that by itself is dangerous.
3: Investing in open technologies gives them a lot more of control than with closed technologies that doesn't belong to them. They could create new stuff from scratch but:
3.1: The already stablished de-facto standards comes from companies too big to just overthrow them by themselves, they'll need to invest a lot of money to convince companies to adopt their APIs and yet it's still unlikely.
3.2: The open technologies are more attractive to potential business partners because everyone has the same rights over those technologies and it's more likely for developers to adopt them because thanks to being more resilient (they don't disappear with the company that created it). Also because they're more likely to be adopted by new competitors, so they're more future-proof.
3.3: By adopting open technologies they are not working alone anymore.
3.4: It's good for their PR too, both with potential BP, devs and customers.
4: All this get more inertia thanks to the fact that they can get games into their platform when the other platform gets games (linux desktop) with almost no effort.
>>
>>60539589
FGLRX was dropped since ubuntu 16.04 was released IIRC. It has been dead for a long time.
>>
>>60539432

Based.
>>
>>60539677
Yeah but steamOS is built on debian though. The OP doesn't give enough information and doesn't even link an article.
>>
>>60539339
>Why does Steam OS exist.
They don't want to have to rely on microsoft's OS. When windows 11 is even more 1984 than windows 10 and normies all have an exodus to Mac OS and gamers all move to linux you'll see how genius making this OS was. Both windows and consoles are getting shittier with each iteration so I think the steamboxes are a good idea.
>>
>>60539718
>debian
Makes sense now. Debian is typically 5-10 years behind the times.
>>
File: gabe-newell1.jpg (556KB, 890x1231px) Image search: [Google]
gabe-newell1.jpg
556KB, 890x1231px
>>60539325
Who's your daddy?
>>
>>60539719
Linux with a proprietary DRM store is no better than Windows.
Valve is not doing this for charity. They want a monopoly on distributing Linux games.
>>
>>60539816
Doesn't matter. Once Linux has games it will dominate the desktop market.
>>
>>60539339
All it is, is big picture mode running on a linux machine. The developement of the "os" pretty much ended. All they'll do now is fix bugs and update drivers/kernel.
>>
>>60539849
Isn't it just a fork of debian with steam installed?
>>
>>60539816

>wincuck believes this
>>
>>60539325
b-b-based g-g-gaben....
>>
>>60539816
>They want a monopoly on distributing Linux games

I think this is just a side effect of wanting a backup plan in case microsoft screws them over
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/248770-windows-10-s-surface-laptop-will-locked-edge-bing
>>
>>60539816
>be mad that linux has no games
>be mad that linux might get games

I just don't understand freetards sometimes.
>>
>>60539937
>/g/ is one person
>>
>>60539816
Good. People will enjoy getting more performance out of their slower, less capable computers using GNU/Linux than Windows.

>>60539663
>>60539719
>>60539816
>>60539829
>>60539922
>>60539937
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>60539911
Mostly yes. I believe they have their own customized kernel as well (or at least a very specific set of modules) but don't quote me on that. It also automatically boot into Steam Big Picture rather than a DE (though you can get into a DE easily).
>>
>>60540047
Seems the reason they went with their own distribution is to make it easier on your average plug and play console player and make it less daunting for them to choose a distribution.
>>
>>60539325
why can't they make it based off templeos?
>>
>>60539405
>I hear the link is great if you have a halfway decent router and a wired connection
Can confirm, Steam Link is great. PC is wired, use the Steam Link via 5Ghz, router is TP-LINK Archer C2600(5Ghz+MU-MIMO is why I chose that one for the Link) completely playable. The only issues end up being game issues. Thinks like pre-game launchers with the settings require a mouse, Dark Souls+DSFix+intro skip activated will freeze the stream, and require getting on the PC to close. It's hands down worth the $50, but it ain't flawless.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.