[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trackballs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 14

File: haha_balls.jpg (119KB, 1342x1000px) Image search: [Google]
haha_balls.jpg
119KB, 1342x1000px
Are they a meme? Are they worth it? Post your stories.

Also, thumb or finger ball?
>>
>>60529712
MarbleMouse or bust.
>>
File: image.jpg (193KB, 818x788px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
193KB, 818x788px
I use the M-DT2 and I greatly enjoy it. When gaming or using Photoshop/Illustrator, I tend to move to a regular mouse (I have a G502)

Used to have a Trackball Explorer but that one's dead. Never tried a thumb ball but I don't think I'd be a fan of it, looks far less precise since I can use multiple fingers on a fingerball for added precision whenever I need it.
>>
File: heaven.jpg (398KB, 1586x1600px) Image search: [Google]
heaven.jpg
398KB, 1586x1600px
>>60529712
This was the best mouse that ever existed, or will exist. RIP the Microsoft IntelliMouse, gone too soon.
>>
>>60529749
OP here, I was literally thinking about getting a G502 and a wireless trackball kek
>>
They're shit for gaming, but fine for general computer use
>>
I think they're worth it, especially for special use cases where you don't have the desk room to scoot a mouse around. Especially considering how cheap they are, at least the wired ones.

fingerball here, but I've never used a thumbball. I use two logitech marbles. One of them is on my music production station, where the only room to have a mouse is on top of my midi keyboard, without enough room to scoot it. its just velcroed to the keyboard. a traditional mouse would not work at all with this setup.

other one I just use for browsing/computing/gaming but its not the ideal mouse for games. marble has bad scrolling support due to lack of proper middle click and wheel. I use a third party driver called "marble mouse scroll wheel" that fixes it but it uses up one of your aux. buttons as a middle click. This workaround is fine in most programs but its particularly problematic in many games where the scroll wheel or middle click serves an important function.
>>
>>60529810
Yeah I've been thinking about using a wireless one for when I'm on the go, or in bed, or whatever. Sounds really convenient.
>>
Don't get a wireless elecom, they have trouble when waking up from a sleep state. If you need wireless go with a Logitech M570, battery life is amazing, but requires a logitech usb receiver, it comes with it.

Thumb balls are better than fingers. People complain about pain, but that's because they never used their thumb like they have on a trackball but it's just muscle development, not RSI.

The later generation elecom trackballs have assignable gesture controls with the ring button and work better. The older ones have a "sniper" button that slows down the cursor way down, and the LED inside has trouble picking up the black ball and the older elecom click buttons are terrible. Both have a simple DPI switch

The best trackball ever created was the Microsoft trackball optical. It's larger, and feels less sculpted, and more natural.

Sanwa are cheap junk that look pretty.

Perixx is a German company thay makes a "gaming" trackball I haven't used it yet, but it looks weird.

But here's the kicker about trackballs, their one advantage has been nearly completely mitigated because their development has stopped sometime in the 90's. A good modern gaming mouse will be able to keep up fine in games.

But a trackball will keep you more comfortable for longer periods of time.
>>
It's a meme.

I work in office so I got a trackball for my wrist.

After a while you notice it's a chore to be precise and they get greasy very fast, so you have to clean the ball almost daily
>inb4 you are greasy, no i wash my hands twice a day at work

also apparently mine was one of the best one, not sold anymore
>>
>>60530063
You greasy motherfucker
>>
>>60530040
>their one advantage has been nearly completely mitigated because their development has stopped sometime in the 90's
What are you talking about? Their advantage is that they don't require you to move your hand or wrist, how has this been mitigated by modern mice?

>Don't get a wireless elecom, they have trouble when waking up from a sleep state.
You mean like >>60529749's one? Is it going to be really affecting daily usage, or is it like 1-2 seconds of wiggling after you haven't used the PC for a while?

>Thumb balls are better than fingers
I really want to try out both now, given that it seems to be a matter of personal opinion judging by the varied replies.
>>
>>60530236
>What are you talking about? Their advantage is that they don't require you to move your hand or wrist, how has this been mitigated by modern mice?

cable was also a issue
solved by wireless mice.
>>
>>60530258
Now you have a power problem
>>
you don't need to move them (trackball mice)
why do you even want it to be wireless?
>>
>>60530297
so do wireless trackballs

and it's a problem like 1minute every 2 months
>>
yo i've never had hand pain in my mousing hand
but my keyboard hand starts to cramp up and shit during longer sessions. are ergonomic keyboards a meme for gaming because i'd rather have a pain free experience even if it means squishy keys without backlights
>>
>>60529712
I have this same elcom, I love it, but the ball it ships with sucks majorly. I replaced it with a ball from a logitech M570, and it rocks.
>>
>>60529712
How does the ball stay in, is that a rubber lip I see?
>>
>>60530337
It's convenient for using with a laptop in random places

Take laptop out of bag, take trackball out of bag and place literally anywhere, off you go. No need to find a surface like with a mouse, no need to fiddle with cables and plug it in like with wired things.
>>
I was a trackball user for a long time, even in gaming.

I was sort of somewhat known in UT as a decent player. Used to do a lot LMS Instagib and duels.
It gave me a bit of a different play style where I needed to use movement for fine aim(which is definitely a problem in babby shooters now games where your gun bobs and shit when you move), but I don't think I was any less competitive for that.
I don't use one anymore, but I do wish the Steam Controller had gotten a proper trackball instead of track pad.

>>60530417
Same way the ball stays in on an old ball mouse.
>>
I have carpal tunnel syndrome and I do programming for living. It sucks. Would trackball help at all?
>>
>>60529712
Great for laptops
Small screen + any surface
Wouldn't want to use it on my dual screen desktop though
>>
>>60530993
This. But thumb or finger?
>>
>>60530996
I had a thumb one
>>
>>60529712

Certainly not a meme. I use one at work and it's super comfy not needing to move your mouse.
>>
>>60530958
If you already have it you need surgery. After the surgery it will help you not get it again.
>>
>>60530993

Works for me on a triple screen layout. I must say that I use a laptop with two extra displays in portrait so not to much horizontal distance to cross.
>>
File: _460_0_73P2698_V7.jpg (61KB, 1000x744px) Image search: [Google]
_460_0_73P2698_V7.jpg
61KB, 1000x744px
>>60530993
>using an external pointing device with a laptop
>not pic related
>>
>>60531034
My doctor hasn't even suggested me a surgery yet and my whole arm hurts like fuck plus my hand gets numb all the fucking time. Thank god I am insured and live in scandinavia so surgery will not cost anything.

Definately getting a trackball now. I tried a vertical mouse but that made my wrist even worse.
>>
>>60531086
Surgery is the only way to fix it desu.
>t. surgered man
>>
>>60531054
I'm running a triple screen, 6400x1080, with a logitech marble at default accelleration. It takes two solid flicks, or three medium flicks to manuever the mouse from the left side to the right side. takes literally one second

without a doubt slower than my normal mouse but by no means a deal breaker for me
>>
File: trackball.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
trackball.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
i wasted $100 on this and gave it to a black man from the internet
>>
>>60531186
Was it your first trackball? If not, how does it compare to others?
>>
>>60531186
what is that?
>>
Is there a pointer device that is both traditional mouse and trackball?
>>
Pic related was my first trackball. Well, an older version of it. I fucking loved it.

Meanwhile I've gone though 3 logitechs, which are nice too, but as soon as the current one breaks down (which it's already starting to), I'm buying the kensington again. I won't miss that one extra button, but I'll love the accuracy.
>>
>>60529852

Just use your phone if you want to control your pc.
>>
>>60531203
not my first. i had some older logitech and microsoft ones which that felt more comfier than the cst trackball
>>60531260
http://clearlysuperiortech.com/cst2545wproductpage.html
>>
>>60531324
you got rid of it because it wasn't comfortable? whats the best one youve used?
>>
>>60529712
My girlfriend(female) uses nothing but trackballs. The one she uses is like the one in your op but a different company. She's not really a fan of the one I have at my house that I let her use when she comes over. I'd have to admit hers is better.
>>
>>60531321
How does that help? It's literally a trackpad but worse.
>>
>>60531409
Do you know which model she uses?

>>60531324
I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the different types available, since you seem to have used a few different ones.
>>
>>60529712
i use Final Cut and trackballs are a godsend when horizontally scrolling through the timeline
>>
File: 2928826344363499211account_id2.gif (61KB, 500x673px) Image search: [Google]
2928826344363499211account_id2.gif
61KB, 500x673px
>>60530850
>tfw beta versions of steam controller had trackball but they replaced it with a touchpad
>>
>>60531554
>you could swap between touchpad, trackpad and d-pad
>lolnope lets cut that and use dual touchpads like the idiots we are.
>>
>>60531186
I also tried one of those and ended up returning it. The build quality is pretty flimsy honestly, especially considering the price and the scroll wheel is hard to reach. I just use my m570 now which is way cheaper and better imo.
>>
>>60529712
Buy a normal mouse like the g502 + a wacom tablet.

Skip those obsolete craps.
>>
>>60531783
What's the purpose of a wacom tablet?
>>
>>60530063
>only washing your hands twice a day

>mine was one of the best
>cordless
uh no
>>
File: image.jpg (183KB, 652x560px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
183KB, 652x560px
>>60531432
It's this one I'm pretty sure. I'd have to say it's conscious decision for her to use it as there are alternatives in her house even, but whether it because that's just what she started out with when she got into computers and just stuck with it or switched from mouse to trackball for whatever reason, in not sure. Haven't asked.
>>
File: IMG_20170522_191641.jpg (341KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170522_191641.jpg
341KB, 960x1280px
breddy comfy on my messy desk

>>60530063
mine isn't greasy desu, it only collects some skin flakes over time
>>
File: image.jpg (176KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
176KB, 750x750px
>>60532397
The one I got was this one. I wanted to see if it was any better then a mouse but for me it turned out to be a meme. Call it baby duck syndrome or whatever but I just couldn't get over the jankyness and imprecise movement of it so I stopped using it after the first week or so.

When I told her I had a trackball she could use she perked up. She didn't like it and mocked my choice of trackballs(lol) the wanted to stick with it though to see if she could get used to it when I offered her a different mouse instead. She took pictures of it and sent it to her friends and said it was gross.

I'd have to agree with her though, I initially passed up the mouse looking trackballs because I though they could be used as either but after using hers I realized that's not the case and that they are pure trackballs. The mouse shape and using your thumb to move the ball instead of your index/middle is a hell of a lot more comfortable and precise
>>
>>60532539
>She didn't like it and mocked my choice of trackballs(lol) the wanted to stick with it though to see if she could get used to it when I offered her a different mouse instead. She took pictures of it and sent it to her friends and said it was gross.
that's pretty funny desu
>>
>>60532397
>>60532539
Yeah, seems like most people are shilling for this logitech one.

I'm hesitant because call me autistic, but I like buttons on my mouse, especially for stuff like switching tabs, going back-forward, etc. The elecom one near the beginning of the thread has a bunch of buttons and looks great, but everyone seems to think the logitech one is best in terms of ball positioning and comfort.
>>
>>60530236
Never had a problem with mine not waking up or whatever. I only actually turn it off by the switch when going to sleep at night. (And when I do turn it back on, it takes about 2 seconds for the cursor to begin moving, it's great)
>>
>>60533108
Nice.

How comfortable is the finger ball? Can you use it for extended periods of time, is it good for precise movements? Because going by specs this seems like the best one for me but everyone seems to be shilling the logitech thumb one.

I don't need amazing ergonomics made for 8hr use every day - so can you use it with good precision for like a couple hours at a time with no problems? That would be enough for me.
>>
>>60533010
In my opinion, nothing beats the Trackball Explorer in terms of comfort. That was THE shit, your hand molded around the thing. It had all the regular buttons and a scroll wheel that both tilts and clicks.

The best part is that it's a finger ball, so your thumb sticks to just leftclick/rightclick/wheel, because it's not that good of an idea to make your thumb do a lot of rotating movements, can lead to RSI. You can also use 2-3 fingers instead of just 1 to control the ball with more precision. You can hold the ball with your ring and index fingers and move it with your middle one to make it harder to move (Again, more precision). There's a lot of neat tricks.

Unfortunately, the Explorer's dead, and even if you did get one, it'd be shit because its DPI was made for like the 90s where the standard wasn't 1080p with 2-3 screens.

The M-DT2 is the only trackball that tried to emulate the TE's form. The only problem is that it's far smaller, so people with big hands will NOT like this, nor do I recommend it for such people. Try something like the Expert or the Slimblade if you want a fingerball and have large hands. (Or get an used TE and enable mouse acceleration, up to you)

Besides the main two buttons, the TE had 2 extra buttons + press down scrollwheel, the M-DT2 has 5 + 2 axis scroll tilt + scroll press. There's both a wired and a wireless version. The wireless one comes with a dongle that you have to use (It's not regular bluetooth) but works wonderfully. It needs 1 AA battery and lasts several months. (Haven't tried it with rechargeables)
>>
>>60533253
>2 axis scroll tilt + scroll press
That's fantastic to hear

I have pretty average hands, they're not huge, but more importantly I mostly intend to carry it around and use it in awkward places to smaller is actually better.

Also
>everyone on amazon asking if the TE comes with a hooker because of the price
Kekkity
>>
File: IMG-20170510-WA0004.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170510-WA0004.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>60533342
Here's my M-DT2 next to my G502 for a size comparison
>>
>>60533492
Ok, that seems perfectly normal sized. Who the fuck thinks this is small? Unless trackballs are supposed to be way larger than mice.

Thanks for the picture, it helps immensely.
>>
>>60533557
With trackballs, the bigger the sphere, the bigger the surface area to scroll. You’ll have to do more “swipes” to scroll than a Kensington Expert. It can make the difference. Smaller balls are far less precise than bigger ones.

An L-Trac supports an actual billiard ball, which is a lot larger than Elecom's

Also balls that people regularly used 2-3 fingers to scroll may just fit one of your fingers if they’re smaller, which is a large difference in usability
>>
>>60529771
They're actually great for gaming, it just takes longer to get good with them and when you do you can only be as good as a mouse user. There are several reputable players who use them, 0wnage from Quake 3, kerp from LoL and there's this guy on yt with hundreds of vids dominating in various battlefield games, all with a thumball.
>>
File: 41FTH6V4PVL.jpg (21KB, 500x461px) Image search: [Google]
41FTH6V4PVL.jpg
21KB, 500x461px
this was my first and only trackball I got over a decade ago, I still have it but I don't use it since no scroll wheel is annoying
>>
>>60529771
>>60533804
Thumb balls are much better for gaming. Finger balls don’t let you press both right and left mouse buttons at the same time while maintaining precision of movement.

But yes there's a lot of success stories with thumb balls.
>>
>>60533803
Shieeet, you're right, that's a big difference in ball size.

>may just fit one of your fingers if they’re smaller, which is a large difference in usability
Is that the case with the elecom?

>>60533893
>press both right and left mouse buttons at the same time while maintaining precision of movement.
Solution: re-map one of the buttons to a thumb button. If I'm going to be learning to use a trackball, learning to zoom in/aim with my thumb shouldn't be too much extra effort.
>>
Wireless trackball is ridiculous unless you want to use it far from the computer.
If you're going to use it on a desk, close to the computer, get a wired one. Wires make no difference with a trackball because it stays stationary.

Also, finger vs thumb is pretty much a personal preference and you'll have to try both to find out.
I fucking hate thumb ones. Had one, tried to use it for a few months, couldn't get the precision I wanted, sold and bought a finger one again.
But then, that's just me. You may very well find that thumb trackballs work better for you.

Some of Kensignton's trackballs are pretty nice, with scroll ring and 6 buttons, so it's just a matter of getting used to having the scroll click set to another button.
>>
>>60533964
You’re going to both shoot and zoom with your thumb. You sure you can do that well? Sounds extremely uncomfortable over time.
>>
>>60534021
No, I was envisaging zooming with thumb and shooting with ring (or middle) finger. Then you still have two (or one) finger(s) for operating the ball, while being able to shoot and zoom at the same time.

>>60534008
>Wireless trackball is ridiculous unless you want to use it far from the computer.
>If you're going to use it on a desk, close to the computer, get a wired one.
Actually I want to use it close to the computer, but in places like in bed and on random coffee tables where fucking about with plugging (and unplugging once I'm done) is a pain
>>
>>60534069
That's too much, you need godlike dexterity for that, think about doing all that at the same time.

Just do gaming with a mouse and switch back to your thumb ball when you’re done playing. Otherwise get a thumb ball for something that does everything well.

I find finger balls more comfortable but that's one area they’re real shit at.
>>
>>60534069
Well, if you're not going to keep it stationary, then wireless is the way to go.
Newer logitech models have auto-sleep mode that can make one AA battery last for one year, which is great (like the one posted by >>60532397 )
The one posted by >>60530063
was ridiculous in terms of battery life. It used 2xAA and it lasted for 3 months max.
But the trackball itself was great.

I'm currently using the Kensington Expert (posted by >>60531287 ) but it's the wired version. It's pretty awesome, but I don't think it's the best one for portability and moving around. For that, I'd recommend the logitech posted by 60532397 (though that's a thumb one and I hate thumb, but you may prefer)
>>
>>60534165
Switch back to your finger ball*
>>
thumb > finger

best laptop mouse
>>
>>60534165
>That's too much, you need godlike dexterity for that, think about doing all that at the same time.
Doesn't sound much harder than aiming with ring/middle finger, shooting with index, while moving the mouse around (and while juggling WASD+Shift with five fingers on the other hand to strafe and dodge). Assuming you get comfortable with moving the cursor with the ball it shouldn't be too hard to do all of the above with a finger ball.

Anyway yeah I do plan on using both a mouse and a trackball.
>>
>>60530063
This. This right here is the ONLY good trackball to have existed.
This one is even top-tier for games, unlike every other one as >>60529771 says which are indeed shitty for games.

I miss my trackball. I was going to convert it to wired, but it broke for some reason. Can't figure out why.

>>60533893
I had no problems with the one I had.
Thumb-balls are shit-tier.
They have none of the speed + precision that the over-shoulder trackballs have.
Even symmetrical trackballs have better speed + precision.
The main reason being the thumb itself simply has none of the muscle control as the whole of your fingers and hand. It's twitchy compared.

And this was a shitty wireless trackball too.
It'd have been considerably better if wired.
The right button was at such a great position that you could easily control the ball. (pinky or 3rd depending on hand-size)
>>
File: fapman_squeel.jpg (19KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
fapman_squeel.jpg
19KB, 640x480px
Any of you friends had any experience with these? How do they compair to the newer models?
>>
>>60536145
I have a Sanwa that's identical to that but wired. Logitech doesn't make wired trackballs anymore so options are limited unless you like batteries. I also have the Kensington from >>60532539.
Using the thumb for precise movements is murder on the Sanwa, but otherwise it's a normal mouse. I like it, but my thumb twitches once in a while. One a normal mouse it's nothing, but on a trackball it'd make the mouse up and disappear.
The Kensington on the other hand has a more precise ball but fuck I could not handle the lack of a middle click and sometimes I'd up and forget what direction the scroll wheel uses for up and down. It's very unintuitive to me.
Basically, if a trackball maker added the DPI button like any competent mouse has and you could make the cursor move slow as fuck when you wanted a trackball would be perfect. But that's not the case and I never could git gud with them as is, so I stick with a G303 unless for some reason my wrist hurts.
>>
>>60529712
i use the Marblemouse on loonix because the xorg hacks to get a scrollwheel and middle click are so good I actually prefer it to using a dedicated wheel.
>>
>>60530958
Get an Evoluent Vertical Mouse or one of its clones. Totally will help you.
>>
>>60534674
Pressing keyboard keys is not comparable to precisely moving the ball. You either have high sensitivity and require a lot of swipes with that ring finger, or you have low sensitivity and you need to move small centimeters at a time while all your other fingers are doing other shit.

It's not possible.
>>
i have a logitech marble trackman or whatever it is called
the ball stops working and sometimes the cursor moves up to the top of the screen and won't come down
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.