[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

write once, fail anywhere

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: java-1.png (4KB, 225x225px)
java-1.png
4KB, 225x225px
write once, fail anywhere

whats your opinion on java?
>>
"Java is write once, run away." - Uriel
>>
You can just throw jar files at people and they can just run them. It's nice if this is a requirement for whatever you're making.
>>
>>60528512
Uriel is the epitome of the BSD community:
- make inflammatory and misleading comments in every forum thread or bulletin board
- encourage a hostile culture
- contribute absolutely nothing software-wise
- actually be depressed in secret because you're a failure in life
>>
>>60528535
You can also bundle the JVM along with your code and run it as an executable.
>>
>>60528538
you forgot
- kill yourself
- have other suicidal losers pine over you
>>
It's ok technically, and I guess you have no choice in some enterprise environments, but overall there's no reason to use Java/JVM nowadays.
>>
>>60528576
Yeah, agree
>>
if it works it is ok.
if it is not works it is not ok.

depends on what you want to do?
>>
>>60528496
> write once, fail anywhere
Eh. No.

> whats your opinion on java?
Okay language with a good ecosystem overall.

But I do prefer to use Scala myself.
>>
>>60528496
Honestly I like it. The biggest issue is how verbose it is and how much boiler plate code it has but IntelliJ solves those two issues by being a good IDE.

On the whole Java is fast and secure and super fucking easy to write plus it has two decent built in GUI frameworks should you need them, and excellent threading and networking out of the box.

My only real complaint is that Oracle are a bunch of cunts. I wish Google had bought Java from Sun before they sold to Oracle.
>>
>>60528545
how much larger does this make filesizes?
>>
>>60528496
Is a good language.
Has it's flaws though, could be way better.

Still, it's not THAT bad as some people like to meme about.
>>
>>60528988
Depends on how many third-party libraries you depend on. Just the JVM itself isn't that big, but don't have any concrete numbers for you here and now.
>>
>>60528956
Google also is a problem. They break and discontinue things all the time, most of the time without throwing sauce out there when they discontinue.

Five years down the road, they might have been like "Java is deprecated now, everyone switch to Go VM".
>>
>>60528496
it works and has the most advanced runtime and tooling ecosystem in the world
>>
>>60528576
/thread

Also, did you mean:
- debug yourself
?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.