[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

best linux os

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: .png (17KB, 379x165px) Image search: [Google]
.png
17KB, 379x165px
hey people of /g/ what linux operating system would you recomend for a inspiron mini 1010? currently im running ubuntu 15.10, dont remember what window manager tho. I believe its lxde,but again im not 100%. it runs decent, but i am looking for suggestions on something that might handle the hardware better. whats ur goto linux for oldr hardware that has GUI?
>>
GNU/Linux Gentoo
>>
>>60525592
Ive seen rumors of gentoo being a standard response here.But seriously why gentoo? i am actually curious.
>>
>>60525629
Lightweight, rolling release, efficient, fast, non-bloat, compile from source, no dependency issues. And you can set up your desktop exactly the way you would like
>>
>>60525692
>efficient
nice meme
you have to hold gentoo's hand through install and everyday use.

get Linux Mint.
>>
>>60525736
>and everyday use.
What do you mean. Once you get your system set up it's smooth sailing. You just have to update once a week or so. My system is very stable.
>>
>>60525692
ok. I do like those reasons. How is the learning curve compared to ubuntu? i am coming from being mainly windows and a little ubuntu.
>>
>>60525584

honestly slackware should be the default rec for newbies

the installer is ugly but its easy as shit to go through

has just about everything a normal user might need installed by default, with no custom package shit

its very stable

the only issue is learning slackpkg but that isnt hard and is a basic thing you should learn to do anyway in linux
>>
>>60525736
ive used linux min, didnt seem to work to well for me
>>
>>60525790
sorry I'm high I just now read the post.
try LXLE maybe? it's based on Debian and is designed for older systems.
>>
so the main purpose of this laptop is general shitposting and 4chan. i paid $20 for it after upgrading the wifi to ac, and putting a new hard drive in it. at most i need to run an internet browser and gimp. after turning on this laptop and having it run its updates from a long non use it seems almost unusable. it took signifigantly longer to open firefox then it used to when i first got it.
>>
>>60525907
so lubuntu? i believe thats the current desktop environment. i havent used this laptop in about 1.5 yearso i dont really remember what is installed on here, but it looks similer to the desktop on my work computer which is lubuntu
>>
Lubuntu, unless you have significant skillsets then the answer varies from devuan/debian netinstall to gentoo/sourcemage
>>
Is using kali as an everyday OS for browsing chan and tube a good or bad idea?

I have a desktop from 2000 somehting, can't seem to get it to download windows ten... I might try and get the ISO and boot from that but otherwise the options are ubuntu and mint, ya?
>>
>>60525584
I recommend Win10/GNU for your laptop.
>>
>>60525772
it will be a little tricky. another one to consider is Void. With it, I would recommend either i3 or openbox for the window manager.
>>
the desktop environment is what's going to be eating your resources more than anything. I constantly buy used hardware and run nothing but linux on it all cuz "muh windows old/fail". I got a P4 with 3.5 GB RAM running MATE Mint and it's my kodi box for just that and it's fine. I've been finding my core2duo laptop with 2 GB ram swaps to HD alot when i use firefox but my other laptop with 4 GB ram doesn't so i'd say if you can swing it, get 4 GB RAM minimum. Now having said THAT, 2 GB ram is useable for single tasks, 1 GB ram is going to really limit your GUI experience. newer laptops? try using KDE or cinnamon for desktop. Less than 4GB ram MATE, XFCE, LXDE in that order of complexity to simpllicity. If you're just using it to shitpost go with lightest (LXDE) to just give you a GUI and open your browser. Hardware is being phased out of support so check your hardware for issues. it's come up from time to time for me.
>>
>>60525629
Installing gentoo will take you an entire day the first time you do it if you are a beginner like me. It will teach you A LOT on how unix system works, what is a kernel, what is a filesystem, etc... We recommend installing gentoo also because of its package manager which is pure bliss: portage give you the option to chose the functionalities you want in your programs: want xfce but without bluetooth support? No problem just add USE= -bluetooth. Want firefox without every language in the world installed by default? Sure you can do that. Gentoo is your own personalized distro, it's awesome and really helpful for beginners
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.