[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Linux newfags unite

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 230
Thread images: 34

File: 1478967867765.jpg (19KB, 325x264px) Image search: [Google]
1478967867765.jpg
19KB, 325x264px
I see quite a few made the switch in the last couple days. What are you using and how was your experience so far?
>>
File: 1477037979721.jpg (61KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1477037979721.jpg
61KB, 480x640px
>>60520462
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>60520462
>I see quite a few made the switch in the last couple days.
All me
>>
File: 7695486.jpg (44KB, 750x389px) Image search: [Google]
7695486.jpg
44KB, 750x389px
Mint+KDE.
i3 3220, 16GB ram, runs buttery smooth and the bootup is about the same as it was with my W7 so I don't give a shit about bloat. I love the blurred transparency and smooth fading faggotry and I'm willing to sacrifice some ram for that shit.

Luckily I even got one of my favorite windows programs to run perfectly with Playonlinux and the latest Wine version, which I didn't expect to work at all since it's 100% 3D based.

I was at first really annoyed how silent the sound volume seemed and I didn't want to go over 100% since this means distortion. Then I found out that over in the alsamixer the volume was at like -31db, pulled it all up to 0 and the volume was just like in Windows.
Then I noticed that the sound was kinda flat, so I took a closer look at my sound config and switching to 5.1 brought back all the missing frequencies. I guess the old config just cut away shit for the subwoof but I only run two speakers to my stereo.

Overall I'm totally pleased. Yes, you need to tinker to get it all set up PERFECTLY, so if you're bothered by that stay with Windows.
Setting all up (installation included) took like 6 hours on my end.
>>
>>60520462
I installed angergos with cinnamon. Pretty fast in comparison to windows 8.1. The software store is pretty dope.'
>>
File: 4158178.jpg (22KB, 526x414px) Image search: [Google]
4158178.jpg
22KB, 526x414px
>>60520850
>angergos

I read that as Anger OS
>>
>>60520462
It's working out much better than expected. I used Arch Anywhere on both my laptop and desktop. I really can't complain. Thanks NSA/WannaCry!
>>
Just to let you know, there's a general for you newbies. >>6057293
>>
Just to let you know, there's a general for you newbies. >>6057293

>>
>>60520850
Have you tried "Antergos"?
>>
File: list of linux software.jpg (273KB, 1024x1400px) Image search: [Google]
list of linux software.jpg
273KB, 1024x1400px
Friendly list of software for winrefugees.

Chat, Voip (skype and others): Pidgin
RSS Feeds and Youtube channel organizer and viewer: Liferea
IRC: HexChat
Image Viewer/Organizer (and video previewer): GThumb
System monitor: Conky, GKrellM or HardInfo
Music Tags and metadata: Easytag
Batch renamer: GPRename
Search files: ANGRYsearch
Duplicate files removal: dupeGuru
File manager featured in Jurassic Park: fsv (File System Visualizer)
Virtual Machine: Virtualbox
To launch photoshop and play gaymes: WINE, with winetricks and playonlinux
Download Manager (download videos from youtube, other sites, any file from file sharing sites, with autologin and captcha solver): JDownloader
Torrent: Transmission-gtk
Backup (file synchronization): Unison
Backup: Bison
Drawing: Krita
Image Editing (a.k.a. "photoshoping"): Inkscape
Ebook Viewer: Okular
Music Player: DeaDBeeF
Media Center (online radio,watch and download tv shows and movies): Kodi (XBMC)
Video Player: VLC, or MPV
Video editing: Cinelerra-cv or OpenShot
Video Transcoding: Handbrake
Video compositing: Natron
Screencasting: Open Broadcaster Studio
Password manager: KeePassX
Graphing calculator: GraphMonkey
Laptop powersaving: PowerTOP and TLP
Office Suite: LibreOffice
Desktop publishing (like a pro): Scribus
Document processor (academic papers): LyX
Flashcards: Anki
Counter RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury): Workrave
Typing training: Klavaro
Burning CD/DVD: Xfburn
File Manager: PCManFM
>>
>>60521309
fuck yes, I love those lists.
thank you!
>>
>>60521309
That should be updated with isousb. All new users tempt to distro hopping.
>>
>>60521309
>Image Editing (a.k.a. "photoshoping"): Inkscape

A lot of good advice in that post but on that one you went full retard
>>
File: 2017-05-22_013610.png (4KB, 141x132px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-22_013610.png
4KB, 141x132px
The possibility to have a 5.25" floppy as start button pleases my autism greatly!
>>
>>60520462
Ubuntu Mate after having troubles with regular Ubuntu.
Using it for browsing stuff and tinkering with linux in general on another pc before I start using it on my main one.
>>
>>60522433
That's how I did it, too.
First tinkered around with Linux on my laptop and when I got used to it, put it on my main PC.
Much more relaxed than having to dualboot or do a cold turkey switch.
>>
File: 1393319399873.png (111KB, 249x250px) Image search: [Google]
1393319399873.png
111KB, 249x250px
>>60521309
there is no foobar?
>>
>>60521515
np

>>60521567
>isousb
do you mean a live USB or is a tool I am not familiar?

>>60521592
is because for the most basic editing like cropping inkscape got it easier at the moment, I'll check the new UI from gimp and may update the list

>>60522584
you can run that with WINE as it is the case with phososhop, but seriously, deadbeef is for that
>>
>>60522648
Cropping images is quite quickly done in Xnview which is also a great imageviewer
>>
File: 20170521_213539.png (564KB, 1440x2960px) Image search: [Google]
20170521_213539.png
564KB, 1440x2960px
Getting the hang of it
>>
>>60523352
lord jebus
>>
>>60523091
So can gThumb, and is a better imageviewer
>>
>>60523352
Ubuntu on a phone?!
>>
>>60523609
ubuntu touch has been a thing for a while now
>>
>>60523422
will give it a try, thx
>>
2 weeks with Mint in a x220
Not bad.
Not fucking bad.
>>
>>60523352
HEY, ARE YOU NEO
>>
>>60523609
You can have debian too
>>
>>60520605
>Luckily I even got one of my favorite windows programs to run perfectly with Playonlinux and the latest Wine version, which I didn't expect to work at all since it's 100% 3D based.
what program?
>>
>>60521307
Not him but will try on my personal laptop.

I've been using Arch on my company's laptop because I can't stand Windows' boot time and its aftermath of Windows Defender screwing itself by scanning its own exe as suspicious.
>>
>>60526242
Sculptris, lol.
Sounds silly but it's like the Notepad of the 3D world. Super fast 3d sketching of ideas, only a handful of features but all you need to sketch out things. It also starts up in like 1 second and runs actually faster than it did in my w7.
Everything works, even the hotkeys.
>>
>>60520850
I don't think Antergos has a software centre
>>
>>60526355
They do. It's basically GUI for their repo+the AUR
>>
>>60526376
What? I'm on Antergos right now and I don't have one
>>
>>60522648
>most basic editing like cropping
Just use Pinta, bruh. It's like a paint.net (which I consider to be the best laymen image editing software) but for GNU/Linux.
>>
>>60521309
Doesn't Pidgin store passwords in clear text? Wouldn't use it for anything sensitive
>>
Lubuntu user here, how the fuck to change DPI scaling? I'm on 49in w/ 4k res TV and everything looks fucking smol.
>>
>>60526387
It's your update manager
>>
using 10SE under WinD0VV5 Kernel
>>
New to both the Thinkpad and Linux meme. Picked up a t430s for $95 and I've started with Ubuntu. I've been using both for about 9 days and I really enjoy it. The laptop is excellent, considering what I paid. Linux is a bit frustrating, but the terminal alone has made it worth the switch.

What are some beginner friendly resource for Linux and computers in general?
>>
>>60526663
>What are some beginner friendly resource for Linux and computers in general?
/g/
>>
How do you install shit in Linux? Every time i download something i get a .tar.gz meme that contains a bunch of random crap(no installer), jewgle search for help only finds 7 year old forum threads with commands that don't work anymore.
>>
>>60526766
I was thinking more like books or videos that would give me a general run about of Linux. I'm kind of tired of asking question and waiting too long for an answer. I could just search some random books up, but was thinking somebody had some solid recommendations.
>>
File: 1495213197707.jpg (109KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1495213197707.jpg
109KB, 720x960px
>>60526425
>tfw you realize that Pinta is an anagram of Paint
>>
File: life.jpg (191KB, 784x811px) Image search: [Google]
life.jpg
191KB, 784x811px
>>60526823
>downloading programs from a website on Linux
You realize the entire point of a package manager is to remove the need to go to a website, download an executable and run it, correct?

Here's how you install things on Linux:
Depending on your distro, you may or may not have a graphical interface for your package manager. If you do, then it will be similar to what Apple calls an "app store", where you simply click on existing programs and install them after giving proper permission.

If you don't have a graphical interface, that's okay. The terminal can run package managers too.

Depending on which distro you have, you may have a different package manager.

On Debian and its derivatives such as Ubuntu and Mint, the package manager is called "apt". So using the terminal, you can write "sudo (do this with superuser permission) apt (the package manager) install (an argument which says to install) (the package's name).

For instance,
sudo apt install vim
will install Vim, a text editor.

If you are on Arch, Antergos, or Manjaro, the package manager is pacman.

Pacman's install argument is -S, so to install a package, it would be
sudo pacman -S vim

Yet other distros use other package managers. The main lesson to learn here is that the terminal will open a program when that programs name is entered (entering "firefox" opens firefox), so when you type apt, you are actually running a program called apt, and any further arguments after apt will specify what apt should do (for instance, the argument "autoremove" will uninstall a package and its associates.)
>>
I made the switch from W7 to Ubuntu. Well, actually, I dualboot W7 and Ubuntu. W7 for gaymin, and Ubuntu for everything else.
I'm afraid to try any of the other linux distros because I like Ubuntu so much, even though it's the only one I've tried so far.

I'm open to trying other distros. I was thinking maybe Arch or Debian, maybe. Idk, it's just that, Ubuntu is really nice.
I don't do a whole lot on the compy other than write code and occasionally play games. I use my windows 7 OS maybe like, two or three times every few weeks, just for games.
>>
I currently run Linux mint and am considering switching to gentoo. My observation is that Linux mint has issues with WiFi connectivity, but I've adapted to that. Is Gentoo better? Also, when I'm at home, I dont have WiFi (long story) so I need to tether my cellphone to my laptop for internet. I have never been able to do this on mint. Not saying its impossible, I'm saying I can't (usually) keep my laptop in a hotspot long enough to install everything it needs to make this work. Meaning I need to be able to download packages on my phone, transfer them to the laptop, and go from there. I can do this with clockworkmod for tethering, but it will not configure because it needs to install other shit directly through CLI which can't happen because I never have WiFi. See my problem? Does anyone have a solution or am I trying to spin straw into gold here?
>>
>>60527136
Ubuntu is a well-known sinkhole for inexperienced users which traps them, data-mines, and runs all kinds of non-free software and blobs. It's a watered down Linux experience which detracts from what makes Linux superior to proprietary operating systems like MacOS and Windows.

The main thing about distros you need to know is that what makes a distro special is not how it looks, but what is running under the hood. How does it manage packages? Which repositories do the developers support compatibility for? How quickly does my system update- as soon as possible, or only every once in a while for maximum stability and fewest broken programs?

These are the kinds of questions you should be asking. If you like a certain desktop environment, there is nothing preventing you from swapping one out for another, on any distribution. A desktop environment has essentially nothing to do with what gives a distro its identity. Very superficial stuff like that is so customizable that from distro to distro its not different at all ultimately.

An ubuntu-based distro that comes with only free-software is Trisquel. If you are considering Arch, an overall better choice is Antergos. My distro of choice is Devuan, which is a fork of Debian. Fedora is a gratis, faster-updating/experimental version of Red Hat.

There's even more out-there stuff like Void Linux and Alpine Linux which offer their own quirks. Point is, choosing a distribution has very little to do with the surface experience.
>>
>>60527153
Let me stop you. Install Gentoo is a meme.

Gentoo is a very customizable and very advanced distribution. It's designed to be a blank slate that you shove everything into manually from source. Going from Linux Mint to Gentoo is the equivalent of going from a tricycle to competing in the tour-de-France.

Linux Mint is a pretty bad distribution. I would suggest going to a more professionally maintained distribution like Ubuntu, Debian, or Fedora.
>>
>>60527231
Understanding the assembly language is important, right?
>>
>>60527037
pinta also literally means paint in spanish
>>
>>60527264
I heard Ubuntu is just as problematic as mint?
>>
>>60527020
Don't know the name off the top of my head, but I think its "learn the Linux command line" from no scratch press. That's a pretty good book, and you can get the PDF free online
>>
>>60527341
Ubuntu and mint are the same shit.

Try Fedora or maybe Antergos if you want the Arch experience without the autism.
>>
>>60527341
Not as. Ubuntu has upsetting features, but Mint is downright unprofessional and incompetent these days. Ubuntu is good at being meh. Mint is meh at being good.
>>
>>60527271
Only if you're writing Unix-like kernels in the early 90s. ;)
>>
>>60527231
So DE is just out of the question, whereas I should consider how the OS operates?
>>
>>60527428
Yeah. Forget about the DE. All that can be changed post-installation. What you should be concerned about is how the developer keeps things updated, how much of the work is done for you, how flexible it is, how much space it takes, etc.

There are reasons to use a distro that are very obscure. For instance, you might want a distro that can easily be launched from a USB stick on any computer and then forgotten once you leave. In that case, you'd use Tails.

You might want a distro to be very flexible for use in a computer in a shop or something rather than used as a desktop. In that case, you'd want Gentoo.

You might want a distro that's very lightweight so you can run it on an older PC.

You have to think "What are my needs when I use my computer?" and choose a distro that suits those needs.
>>
>>60527533
>You have to think "What are my needs when I use my computer?"
Games, MS Office and the Adobe Suite :^)
>>
>>60527123
Great advice man
>>
>>60527264
>Going from Linux Mint to Gentoo is the equivalent of going from a tricycle to competing in the tour-de-France.
Gonna steal this analogy senpai
>>
>>60527264

Welp, I was hoping to check Mint but I guess I'll give Antergos a shot.
>>
Using Centos 6 on my VPS because it's cheap and came pre-installed. Got major problems now because 6 is ancient. Not looking forward to a reinstall to 7.

Can't compile .net core binaries because only 0.5G RAM, thus using nodejs
>>
>>60527020
Check here >>>/t/764046

The first torrent contains near 10GB of compressed video tutorials in order of experience, you can select anyone you want

The second is a book collection or over 170GB, among that is a folder on informatics, and inside that there is an entire folder for GNU/Linux
>>
>>60526663
http://linuxzoo.net/
>>
I made the switch a few days ago to Arch, but I'll have you know. I am no newfag!
>>
>>60521567
Is isousb any better than dd or Rufus?
>>
>>60521309
Is pcmanfm any better than thunar?
>>
>>60527123
Well, sometimes there is no package with the program you want, and that happens
If so, it was still usually built sanely and you can configure, build and install the program yourself, although it isn't recommended.
Untar the archive
Read the fucking README or install guide provided in it
Then usually run the configure script, make, then sudo make install.
Try finding a package for scheme...
>>
>>60520462
I just installed Antergos on my new PC. But now I'm having second thoughts about dual booting because >>>>overwatch.
>>
>>60530307

Well of course you'll dual boot. I need my games. Just don't put windows 10. Go 8.1 or some shit.
>>
Tried Solus. It's pretty nice and I didn't have installation errors or incompatibilities with my specs like on ubuntu.
I'm using the gnome version and so far my only regrets are random lag when playing tf2 (can't tell if linux or tf2 fault) and inconsistencies in the topbar design
Something I'm having troubles with is that using non-common distro I always struggle to solve issues whenever they show themselves
>>
>>60530231
is simpler and more intuitive, if you look for one more customizable check spacefm
>>
I'm thinking about trying GNU/linux, which distro should I use?
>>
>>60530842
Before deciding do a distro search in distrowatch http://distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=Linux&category=Beginners&origin=All&basedon=All&notbasedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&package=All&rolling=All&isosize=All&netinstall=All&language=All&status=All#simple
>>
File: appimage.png (275KB, 706x321px) Image search: [Google]
appimage.png
275KB, 706x321px
Daily Appimages reminder:

>Linux apps that run anywhere. Download an application, make it executable, and run!

https://bintray.com/probono/AppImages
>>
>>60530231
I use both
>>
>>60526823

see

>>60530965
>>
>>60530965
The future indeed, I hope source based distros survive though
>>
>>60531109
I like the idea of having distro related system tools, like DE, sound, networking etc.managed by the package manager and programs used by the users as appimages in Applications (or whatever called) folder.
Checkout gobolinux
>>
>>60531460
I bet is exactly that what mainstream distros are aiming to, good eye anon
>>
>>60530265
>Try finding a package for scheme...
Literally
apt-get install scm
on Debian
>>
File: 1472349805329.jpg (165KB, 1038x1155px) Image search: [Google]
1472349805329.jpg
165KB, 1038x1155px
>>60522433
That's what i did it too. Someone gifted me an old 2010 Toshiba satelite with bad battery that needs to connect to power all the time to work, so i decided it would be ideal vessel to start getting into linux. I wanted to at least try it without fucking around with my desktop.
I tried Ubuntu mate(first distro and i liked it the most for some reasons), mint, manjaro, antergos, xubuntu, lubuntu changing desktop environments and experimenting.
I all cases except mint i had problems with reset and shutting down lap top. Something to do with soft reset message. After tinkering with mate i made it work but was frustrating so i went back to mint cuz as i said its the only distro i didn't had said problem.
Went to Ubuntu forums and no one had decisive answer about the fix, some say its my hardware some say it's kernel problem.
So i said fuck it kept mint and put win7 dual boot. All in all im happy im still turbo linux noob but i learned couple of new things and changed my way back f thinking, witch is biggest advantage of Linux imo. Expanding knowledge and learning new stuff about computers.
>>
>>60527020
Stackexchange. When you encounter a problem just keyword bruteforce it with your search engine of choice.
>>
>>60530375
We already knew that
>>
>>60530842
Ubuntu Mate
>>
Mint is mint m8
>>
If I didn't have Google to search for fucking every little issue in Linux I would really just give up on it.
>>
I have absolutely no Linux experience, how would I go around installing Easytether drivers on Elementary OS 0.4?

Drivers here
http://www.mobile-stream.com/easytether/drivers.html
>>
>>60538030
elementary O's 0.4 is based on ubuntu 16.04.2, so this one will probably work;
Ubuntu 17.04/16.10/16.04, Mint 18 (notes apply): amd64 / arm64 / armhf / i386 / powerpc / ppc64el 

(note: 32bit version is "i386", 64bit version is "amd64" (yes, even if you use an intel cpu))
>>
>>60538102
I tried that earlier and got a "Failed to install file" with and unknown error code. Some anon over in /fglt/ told me to check out https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/android_tethering but I'm pretty lost.
>>
>>60538168
Have you downloaded http://www.mobile-stream.com/beta/ubuntu/16.04/easytether_0.8.7-1_amd64.deb
>>
>>60538216
Yea, got the same error as above. More specifically it says
Failed to install file
Failed with unknown error code.
>>
File: a.png (28KB, 1080x492px) Image search: [Google]
a.png
28KB, 1080x492px
>>60538168
out of curiosity, what are you using it for?
android already has tethering support built in

pic related
and in lsusb;
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 04e8:6864 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd GT-I9070 (network tethering, USB debugging enabled)

this should just werk, functions like a standard/generic usb ethernet device which most OS's support
>>
>>60538264
A picture is worth a thousand words, good job.
>>
>>60538264
I'm leaving on a pretty long trip soon, so I wanted to have a semi-reliable internet source for my laptop. I used to use Easytether with Windows because it was super simple. Bit more involved with Eos tho

And does that shit actually just work? Enabling a setting in Developer options? The fuck did I buy this app years ago for then?
>>
I've used *nixes forever mostly on servers, workstations and low-end systems like netbooks where I felt a tiler would make better use of the screen real estate, but I've never daily driven it really and set up another system to mess around with the other week.
>finally managed to mostly imitate the feel of my cozy Slowlaris 10 CDE setup in KDE
>finally have a nice Alpine configuration I can use with multiple accounts
>finally have a decent development system I don't need to SSH into university computers to access
>finally have a mobile terminal server I can set up with applications and hang my legacy boxes off of via serial
>finally have a system I can trust for secure transactions

But I still like my commercial staples, the occasional niche piece of software and most importantly a Steam client that isn't a slow, literally unusable piece of shit so I can talk to friends who don't want to juggle multiple clients, so it's staying a companion system for now.
>>
>>60538315
>The fuck did I buy this app years ago for then?
welcome to the world of open source
>>
>>60538315
>The fuck did I buy this app years ago for then?
maybe android didn't have an RNDIS option built in years ago? idk
>>
Tried about 10 different distros and pretty much all the standard DEs.

Always came back to Solus Budgie. I'll stick with it.
>>
>>60530005
This is perfect, thanks.
>>
>>60520462
I've spent the past literal 2 and a half hours trying to get some dumbshit Adpata theme on this fucking shitty fedora os. It may as well be called fucking 70 errors with outdated info or help for only ubuntu online so you can never even begin to understand what the fuck you're doing and how to customize this shit os. It took me 30 mintes to learn how to move files into root areas which I don't even think I need. This may be good for my grandma so she can't get scammed online or download viruses because her PC is only for facebook, but I think you'd have to be a godamn cs major to get half of this shit at this point
>>
>>60532239
that's a cute little bird
>>
>>60539206
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcOaLk-Qekc
this shitty ass video makes me want to kill myslef what the fuck autogen.sh is useless and the fucking 'gdk-pixbuf-2.0' that isn'y found can't be found anywhere online either. It took me less time to get a good windows torrent up to date with all the programs I needed in the time it took me to get maybe fucking halfway to figuring out how to install a THEME
>>
>>60521309
Any good/decent 2D animation software?
>>
>>60539206
>>60539257
The Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display doesn't have this problem.
>>
>>60539299
Like Synfig or OpenToonz? The latter was used by Studio Ghibli.
>>
>>60539299
>Any good/decent 2D animation software?

Blender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77xaupHilPo
>>
>>60539206
>>60539257
I'll let you know how it looks like.
>>
>tfw your wlan doesn't want to work in linux
>>
use debian
(steamos/ubuntu/LMDE/countless other distros) are all based around it

nasa uses it in the ISS

ubuntu is trash because they are in the middle of a desktop swap
(unity to gnome)

i personally like to use i3 or openbox to keep it lightweight
>>
>>60540892
Wew, this is taking longer than expected.
>>
>>60520462
Ubuntu and it was a little bumpy at first but its pretty smooth sailing now.
>>
File: 1472610997071.jpg (48KB, 720x717px) Image search: [Google]
1472610997071.jpg
48KB, 720x717px
>install redshift for the shits and giggles
>don't expect anything from it
>have it set to realtime automatic adjustment

>actually feel more relaxed before bed time

Wanted to only test it for a day but now I will actually keep it on the machine
>>
>>60540952
Almost there...
>>
>>60521309
Why do people recommend Skype and not Discord? They are both proprietary anyways.
>>
>>60527153
Install arch linux in virtualbox first, maybe even use it as main dist for a few days/weeks, then try and install gentoo in a virtualmachine.

It really isn't hard to install it just takes time to compile shit.

IMO gentoo documentation is better and easier to understand than arch linux

I would only install gentoo if you're willing to learn about GNU/linux otherwise forget it, because there is alot to learn.
>>
>>60540977
I can't believe I forgot my pic.
>>
>>60540984
I guess it's okay.
>>
>>60521309
>Music Tags and metadata: Easytag
never use that crap, just stick to the metadata editor from your music player, on even mp3tag via wine is better (and also free)
>>
Is getting Crossover worth it?
>>
>>60541039
whats wrong with easytag?
>>
>>60522584

>foobar

If there's one thing Linux has a lot of it's good music players.
>>
>>60520462
Tried installing arch as first distro in vm got as far as pacstrap part, than got a power cut because 3rd world, Haven't tried again, but will because i want to make pretty desktops.
>>
>>60542228

The guy probably couldn't figure it out. It's pretty powerful perhaps too complex for some. I use it but he's right, the tag editor in rhythmbox is pretty good.
>>
>Linux Mint Cinnamon
I just want a "normie" linux distro I can play around with I'm currently attempting to rice it like the cool 4chan kids.
>>
>>60542705

Any distro can be riced. It's just some distros have better defaults than others.
>>
>>60521309
How about musicmaking?
>>
If it possible to hide the fact I'm using Ubuntu? I don't want /g/ to meme on me too hard
>>
>>60542852
install anything but unity and nobody will be able to tell the difference if this really concerns you
>>
>>60542961
This
>>
File: 1467311961664.jpg (6KB, 226x223px) Image search: [Google]
1467311961664.jpg
6KB, 226x223px
>>60542852
The worst that can happen is an Arch user might laugh at you but just remind him about that time when pacman broke his xorg.conf for the nth time.
>>
>>60543076
kek
>>
>>60542843

Ardour, hydrogen, plenty of things.
>>
>>60542843
LMMS
Bitwig Studio

Those are native but FL Studio works fine w/ Wine.

Seriously though, if you make music you should use Windows or OSx because it's much more reliable and many VST's do not work (Xfer Serum for example).
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (15KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
15KB, 480x360px
>>60543649
>>60543688
Thanks /g/
>>
File: 1424288485577.jpg (104KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
1424288485577.jpg
104KB, 640x1136px
>>
>>60543688

Meh, I used to spend way too much time fucking around with plugins. There are plenty of quality plugins available for Jack anyway.
>>
>>60520850
so Antergos has a software center
>>
>>60542843
some nice software as some answered you, but never, ever expect your audio interface to work. I personally never managed to get my audio interfaces from Focusrite to work, and there is simply no driver for RME hardware.
And audio hardware that is not built-in hardware in general.
>>
>>60543963
This. This is the worst part

>focusrite scarrlet 2i2
>>
>>60540978
Pidgin is a multi-messenger. Discord is one service.
>>
>>60542843

If you install Ubuntu, the software center is a great place to easily check out software.
>>
>>60543963

RME hammerfall has always had good support. M-audio always worked fine for me too, currently using an audiophile 2496 and a behringer xenyx usb mixer.
>>
I don't want to install google chrome but I swear everything takes 2-3 times longer to load in firefox than chrome.
Why is this?
I noticed this problem on windows 7 as well.
>>
>>60521309
Shitty apps guy is back. I don't believe it. Fuck you, shitty apps guy.
>>
After about 2 years' worth of /g/ memes and closely following Archfag threads, I made the jump to Arch and aside from a few codecs that I forgot and a bunch of compatibility issues (printer has no drivers on CUPS or hplip or w/e), everything else works great
Getting accustomed to surface tier-shit was easy, going in-depth should be significantly harder
>>
>>60542228
Nothing, it just has a lot of features but you don't need to use then all you know
>>
>>60542544
Why, why are newfags insisting on getting Arch as a first distro? Where do they get the idea that installing an intermediate level distro won't leave them asshurt?
>>
>>60544872
Dark Souls syndrome
>>
>>60544879
Madness
>>
I'm going to try Linux for the first time, but I'm not sure which distro to get. I like the KDE look and was thinking Mint kde, Manjaro kde or Kubuntu. Opinions?

As a newfag, I want something that just werks, but I'm not opposed to learning.
>>
>>60520462
I hate it. Slow, buggy, crashes every 4 mins. I'm going back to Windows 10â„¢
>>
File: 1495405729197.jpg (36KB, 237x394px) Image search: [Google]
1495405729197.jpg
36KB, 237x394px
>>60545083
OpenSUSE has the best KDE implementation
Next would be Kubuntu
>>
>>60542843
Audio Editing: SoX, Audacity
Audio Effect Plugins: DSSI (dssi-utils, dssi-vst), LADSPA (tap-plugins), LV2 (x42-plugins), zam-plugins (LADSPA/LV2/VST/JACK)
Audio Encoding: FLAC, LAME (for mp3)
Audio Ripping: cdparanoia (+ ABCDE), fre ac, Sound Juicer
Background Sound: Ambient Noise, GNU GTick
Digital Audio Workstation: LMMS, Ardour, Rosegarden
DJing: Mixxx
Ear Training: GNU Solfege, LenMus
Equalizer: Alsaequal (libasound2-plugin-equal), JAMin (for Jack)
Mixer: aumix, gnome-alsamixer
Multiple Streams: Softvol, Dmix
Music Player: Moc (+ moc-ffmpeg-plugin, dmenu_mocp), MPD (vimus/ncmpcpp), MikMod, mp3blaster, Open Cubic Player, cmus, EMMS (Emacs), Clementine, Rhythmbox, Audacious (+ Winamp Classic skin + GJay)
Music Visualization: cli-visualizer, cava, projectM, Le Biniou, Spectrum3d
Scorewriter: Emacs (lyqi), eTktab, LilyPond, MuseScore
Software Sampler: Hydrogen, orDrumbox, LinuxSampler
Synthesizer: ZynAddSubFX, AlsaModularSynth
System Sound Utilities: alsa-utils (alsamixer, amixer, aplay, arecord), ALSA tools (alsa-tools, alsa-tools-gui), Qastools (qastools-common, qasconfig, qashctl, qasmixer)
System Sound Extensions: awesfx, ESound (esound-common), alsa-oss, oss-compat, apulse, aloop, WineASIO
Tonal Feature Analysis: CLAM Chordata
Tracker Editors: MilkyTracker, Schism
Trackers: GoatTracker, SID-Wizard
Tray Icon: Volti, Volume Icon

>>60543688
Have you try VST through WINE or using one of the native interfaces?

Anyway, I suggest you use plain ALSA, here is a guide I always recommend https://pastebin.com/EsR0mgLv

>>60544122
I am not the author of that pic, people always confuse me for him/her
>>
>>60545083
I second Kubuntu, is easier and has all you want
>>
File: 1495434921759.jpg (926KB, 2746x2634px) Image search: [Google]
1495434921759.jpg
926KB, 2746x2634px
>>60545200
Holy SHIT how do you even compile something like that?
>>
>>60521309
>Duplicate files removal: dupeGuru
fslint
>>
>>60545246
You don't, you use a distro that has it compiled for you, like Debian/Devuan.

There IS some good reasons for compiling them though, like removing pulseaudio as a mandatory requirement some distros force. But in that case you use Gentoo, which is a good idea in that particular case.
>>
File: 1495398206235.gif (2MB, 280x200px) Image search: [Google]
1495398206235.gif
2MB, 280x200px
>>60545275
Oh awesome, thank you
>>
>>60545083
Manjaro. Anybody suggesting Kubuntu is trolling you.
>>
>>60526324
Neat.
>>
>>60545083
KDE5's look is good, but it's still horrible complicated interface and not really that responsive.

Xfce is much faster and easier to configure, so I'd recommend Xubuntu or Xubuntu based distro
(ChaletOS, Voyager OS) for newbies.
>>
File: KXStudio.jpg (109KB, 1000x300px) Image search: [Google]
KXStudio.jpg
109KB, 1000x300px
For our audiophile friends, there is a distro specifically designed for you called KXStudio, tons of applications and plugins preinstalled. They even have made their own http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Applications

Not to say you can't install this on other distros though.
>>
>>60545334
Xfce is so ugly tho, can I customize it?
>>
>>60545449
xfce is extremely customizable. Personally, I embrace the ugliness and use Chicago95 as my theme on my T430.
>>
>>60545449

of course, it's very easy to customize and it's only ugly with retarded default themes
>>
>>60520486
wait what?

does he have 2 dishwashers?

is this a new thing?
>>
>>60545462
>>60545478
Alright, I'll look into it. Thanks.
>>
>>60545462
>Chicago95
my man
>>
I've used Mint on my Desktop for over a year or so. I've had no trouble transitioning, but I haven't messed with terminal stuff yet. I have Ubuntu Mate on my laptop, but I'm thinking of switching to something else. For some odd reason the display gets glitchy after i put the computer in suspend mode. Doesn't stop until I restart. I'm assuming it's the OS doing this somehow. I might try Debian or something.
>>
I have a computer here with Fedora 20 on it

it boots straight into terminal, how do I pull up the GUI?
>>
>>60545518
if you type "startx", does it do anything?
>>
>>60545541
nope, says -bash: startx: command not found
>>
>>60545515
Try compton

>>60545564
Weird, you can see if you have X installed by typing "which startx", if nothing comes out it means you don't
>>
>>60545613
>Weird, you can see if you have X installed by typing "which startx", if nothing comes out it means you don't

/usr/bin/which: no startx in (/usr/local etc......

fuck
>>
>>60545748
install X and a DE
>>
>>60545761
sorry what's a DE
>>
>>60545748
>yum -y install xorg-x11-server-Xorg xorg-x11-drv-{evdev,intel,synaptics} xorg-x11-xinit xterm terminus-fonts

installs x server, video, mouse and keyboard drivers and a terminal emulator

obce you get that all set up follow this

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Switching_Desktop_Environments
>>
>>60545819
desktop environment, is what give you the desktop, icons, windows, etc. Install LXDE for example, is easy.
>>
>>60545819

desktop environment
>>
I hate Fedora
>>
File: 1483703374-kzrjdns.jpg (152KB, 667x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1483703374-kzrjdns.jpg
152KB, 667x1000px
>>60521309
>mfw cant find anything that i haven't installed .
>>
>>60545851
>>60545862
>>60545871

Thanks guys, I'll work on it, this shit is confusing
>>
>>60546094

Fedora isn't really a good beginners distro, btw.

What happened after >>60545851
>yum -y install xorg-x11-server-Xorg xorg-x11-drv-{evdev,intel,synaptics} xorg-x11-xinit xterm terminus-fonts

Can you start x now?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170523_112134.png (579KB, 1920x2160px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170523_112134.png
579KB, 1920x2160px
oh shit

I just made the switch last weekend (Kubuntu)

I'd really appreciate it if anyone knew how to get Azpainter 2 working with pressure sensitivity, I'm using Azpainter 1 because it works but I'd really like the new features and interface of 2. Krita a shit.

and btw, XNview has a linux build that works flawlessly, much better than gthumb or whatever other shit image viewers linux has.
>>
>>60546176
Well, the deal is I have this computer for work, it runs a BASIC point of sale program, I was hoping I could get to the GUI and do some things I need to do, but the BASIC program runs on startup and if there is no GUI I am afraid to put one on there at the moment lest I fuck something up.

There are like 7 partitions on the drive for some reason and I am trying to figure out why they are there before I mess with installing stuff

I have root access, I am trying to save and find all the BASIC files now

then I need to find an IDE that supports .bbx BASIC from like fucking 1995
>>
File: 1.jpg (95KB, 628x625px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
95KB, 628x625px
Running Manjaro with Gnome because a /g/ friend shilled me into it from win10

I like it more than win10 but I don't know what the fuck I'm doing half the time,

If I was using Arch I would probably an hero by now
>>
>>60546611
>If I was using Arch I would probably an hero by now
at least you get it
>>
>>60542482
Gimme some recommendations please!
>>
>>60546848
see >>60545200
>Music Player: Moc (+ moc-ffmpeg-plugin, dmenu_mocp), MPD (vimus/ncmpcpp), MikMod, mp3blaster, Open Cubic Player, cmus, EMMS (Emacs), Clementine, Rhythmbox, Audacious (+ Winamp Classic skin + GJay)
and that is not all what is out there, maybe check audacious and put it a winamp skin for a start
>>
>>60520462
I've got ChakraOS on my laptop, been in and out of a few distros, over time just testing the waters, and so far I like this (at least for basic shitposting, internet browsing and if possible, VERY VERY light gaming (laptop's fault, not the OS) the most.

Runs super well, no issues with anything really, surprised how smooth things are for older hardware, so far a good 8/10, I need to learn to rice, but otherwise it's good for laptops, however I've yet to find a distro that I could use as my primary OS.
>>
>>60520462
I am using Source Mage and it is amazing "it just werks" distro!
Now I can stop pretend being a wizard and finally be one.
>>
Ok, I just started using Debian after a long time with Ubuntu, have I made a good choice? What's the good shit about this distro?
>>
>>60527123
How to install on Linux in a nutshell: giant fucking wall of text 30x more complicated than win/Mac. Literally one of the worst things about Linux.
>>
>>60547395
>I need to learn to rice
No need to rush on this one as people find themselves with too much too soon, first decide what you want.

Ricing GNU/Linux is done not only by choosing themes and colors, but what software goes in your computer. Picture it like a LEGO. "Display Managers" are the login screens, "Window Managers" are the part drawing the borders, colors, etc, and "File Managers" are what handles how you browse your machine.

Themes, artwork, and more: https://www.opendesktop.org/
Desktop environments and window managers: http://www.xwinman.org/, https://ghostbin.com/paste/tfnhk
Where to get some themes and icons: https://www.box-look.org, https://www.gnome-look.org

>>60547526
But that isn't the installation you troll, he is helping explaining what a single command does.

If you want to sell windows do it outside of /g/
>>
>>60547526
1. What you are replying to is not the installation
2. Is not a wall of text, is a well done info about a command of 4, at most 5 words
3. Even if you mean to have a wall of text on the installation it only applies to Arch or Gentoo, but NOT Ubuntu, Mint, Debian, etc.

Get out.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170523_130443.png (696KB, 1920x1003px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170523_130443.png
696KB, 1920x1003px
>>60547526
>Windows Pajeets reading comprehension

You can use an app store analogue if you really want to.
>>
Seriously, since software centers exist installing is easier than in windows
>>
>>60547553
True, I'm used to ricing in windows with bblean and custom themes and such, I just like dark flat UI, easy on the eyes, and more than used to it. Minimal is everything for me.

I'm hoping after getting used to linux more I'm hoping to use a lightweight arch build with i3, just for performance, but I'll do that in a VM and keep ChakraOS for companion on the laptop,

Thank you for the information Anon, it's greatly appreciated.
>>
experience so far is that debian based distros cant work with my wifi or ethernet for some reason. thos includes debian ubuntu bunsenlabs xubuntu and mint. However fedora works fine but boy is gnome shit. I think the issue with linux is still the gui. its a mess that only looks good if spend literally days setting up and learning how to use something like openbox and tint2.

I really wish any debian distro could work with my Internet so i could get a nice setup going. Shame i cant find any fixes after spending hours trying.
>>
>>60523609
Dude... that's just JuiceSSH Client Connection.

It's not actually on his phone
>>
>>60545102
You forgot to install drivers mate...
>>
>>60521309
> Thunderbird

that's a fucking botnet change it for Geany
>>
>>60548165
Oh, if you just want a theme that may be easy if you have a theme switcher. LXAppearance works everywhere despite being designed for LXDE.
>>
SUMMER FAGS FUCK OFF!

YOU DO NOT DESERVE TO USE GNU/LINUX, YES it is GNU/LINUX, get it right! FUCK OFF!
>>
>>60548327
try looking at what driver you use, if is ati just do
sudo aticonfig --initial
on any debian based distro, considering you have aticonfig installed
>>
>>60545102
I hate windows, Screen resolution can not be set to more than 640x480, dragging windows have 0.5 sec lag, and network doesn't work.
Going back to arch linux where things just works.
>>
>>60548531
what does that do? i know my onboard ethernet is realtek and my wlan card is a tplink one.
>>
>>60548638
that command was an ATI specific driver setup, for each type of brand there is an application controlling the driver, and probably you also need to enable non-free repo if you are on debian

at the end is matter of knowing which words to put in google so you get an ubuntuforums match telling you which command to type
>>
>>60527123
> sudo apt-get install PROGRAM
> PROGRAM not found in any repo
> google install instructions for PROGRAM
> "type sudo apt-get install PROGRAM_2-1-1"

Don't be a retard anon. If you don't know exactly what you need or what you're looking for then package managers are garbage through the terminal.
>>
>>60548695
i would have thought so but bunsen and mint both ship with nonfree packages and drivers, even if theyre installed do they still need set up?
>>
>>60548722
that is what software centers are for, and for advanced useres there is
sudo apt-cache search PROGRAM
and
sudo apt-cache show PROGRAM
>>
>>60521309
>recommending mpd to noobs
>>
>>60548738
what you might been experiencing is a miss configuration, something like a wrong name or lack of password for the wifi, have you check the network icon there?
>>
I know veterans will hate this, but someone needs to bring back the idea of a GNU/Linx registry for noobs https://sourceforge.net/projects/tlr-regedit.berlios/
>>
>>60521309
pidgin works with skype now? I though ms decided to fuck it completely on linux
>>
File: imblying.png (356KB, 1821x1828px) Image search: [Google]
imblying.png
356KB, 1821x1828px
>>60521592
>inkscape is not memific
>>
>>60548831
the password is definitely correct and again even the ethernet doesnt work. the wifi wont even connect to open networks
>>
>>60545485
>get 2 dishwashers
>fill 1st with dishes
>when full, turn it on, make them clean.
>take clean dishes from 1st, put it in 2nd when used.
>when 2nd is full, turn it on, make them clean.
>take clean dishes from 2nd, put it in 1st when used.
>when 1st is full, turn it on, make them clean.
loop demonstrated, go infinite.
>>
>Debian
>Ubuntu
>Arch
>Manjaro
>Antergos

Daily reminder that the RedHat(tm) wedge commonly known as "systemd" is NOT Linux.
>>
>>60545485
Nah, One's a dishwasher, and one's a dishdryer
>>
>>60521309
No Kdenlive? I have yet to use pitivi and not have it crash within ~5 minutes of opening. Kdenlive has its problems too, but at least it's usable
>>
>>60545485
its not even his house, hes basically nomadic but lives at the fsf
>>
>>60521133

Did you have any issues installing?

I tried it the other day and kept getting an error about target not found xorg-server-utils.

Any advice?
>>
>>60549627
Install xorg
>>
>>60523352
clear
>>
>>60520462
how the FUCK do I shitpost and upload my memes with this fucking awful "file upload" interface?
>>
>>60550597
>tfw also fell for it
Thread posts: 230
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.