[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fan speed and cpu cooling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 35-608-049-01.jpg (84KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
35-608-049-01.jpg
84KB, 1280x960px
The only fan in my case (other than the gpu blower fan) is on my cpu cooler and it maxes at around 85° at 1500 rpm. How much difference would a 2000 or 3000 rpm fan make?

Would adding 2 120mm input case fans be more effective than increasing rpms on the cpu fan? The case has lots of perforations and was designed so case fans weren't necessary (lian li pc-v353).
>>
RPM isn't what matters for cooling. CFM is the number to look for, keeping an eye on listed noise levels. You don't want a fan louder than 20 dB.
>>
>>60518899
Depends on the ambient temperature in your case. If heat builds up in your case then having intake and exhaust case fans can very well help. If it doesn't then case fans won't do much.
>>
>>60518899

As someone that owns one of the 2000rpm and 3000rpm PPC Noctuas, I'll tell you that the 3K RPM one will make you case sound like you're sitting next to a hairdryer, plus you can only slow it down to 1400RPM before it stops spinning which is still fucking loud.
The 2000RPM one is a bit better but by the time you slow it down to a point where it won't piss you off you might as well have just stuck with a lower RPM fan. The numbers are great, but high performance comes with high noise in most cases, you can't break laws of physics.

Adding fans to improve your overall case airflow will benefit much more than trying to force it all at one point
>>
>>60519037
>you can only slow it down to 1400RPM
Wait, what? I've got 140mm 3000RPM Nocuta PPCs on my case and they even run at 5% duty cycle. Are you using some troglodyte-tier voltage control instead of proper PWM?
>>
>>60519068

Probably, it is an Asus motherboard
>>
>>60519151
>Probably
It's easy to tell, did you plug it into a 3 pin or 4 pin connector? All 4 pin connectors should have PWM speed control, that's what the 4th pin is for.
>>
>>60519037
>>60518997
>>60518964
Thanks. I was looking at CFM also. It generally scales with rpm for the same size fan. I was thinking the 3000 rpm fan may be fast enough to exhaust the whole case on its own. Let's say I only swapped for the 3000 rpm fan, could I expect my temps to drop to 75 or so.

That noctua should run at 800 rpm.
http://noctua.at/en/products/product-line-industrial/nf-a14-industrialppc-3000-pwm/specification
>>
>>60519151
Asus q-fan in the bios is good and easy to set manual fan speeds.
>>
>>60518899
>How much difference would a 2000 or 3000 rpm fan make
It would lower your temps but also make a lot of noise, getting a bigger fan its always better, i think your case can easily fit a 230mm fan on the front, i have 2 of those running at 500rpm, you can barely hear them but they cool down my housefire Phenom II x4 with OC.

>The case has lots of perforations and was designed so case fans weren't necessary

That its not true, my case its a HAF932 and it perforated everywhere, but still comes with at least 3 fans.
>>
File: cm GeminII S524.jpg (127KB, 1200x797px) Image search: [Google]
cm GeminII S524.jpg
127KB, 1200x797px
>>60518899
>my cpu cooler and it maxes at around 85°
what cooler do you have? I see the case (pic related) wont take a tower cooler but something like a Big Shuriken 2 should fit right?
>>
>>60519183
The big 3000RPM Noctuas push an insane amount of air and are very good fans, but they're also like 2-3x the price of other fans and are not usable at 3000RPM because the noise is unbearable, "hairdryer" isn't really an exaggeration. These are the best fans I've ever used but you absolutely need PWM control to get the noise to a bearable level. It's very nice however to have a fan which can go from like 100-200RPM all the way up to 3000, you can have perfect quiet or as much cooling as you want depending on your workload.

Again, your CPU temp depends on the temp inside your case. We can't know how much it will reduce your temps because we don't know how hot it gets inside your case. If it gets hot inside then yeah, you need case fans and they should help. If it does not then case fans won't help and you probably want a better CPU cooler. 85C isn't actually bad for full load though.
>>
File: thermalright-axp-140_rt.png (343KB, 1615x1333px) Image search: [Google]
thermalright-axp-140_rt.png
343KB, 1615x1333px
>>60519275
It's a thermalright axp-140 rt. I think it's one of the best low profile coolers that has been made.
>>60519292
I don't think it gets very hot, but trying a case fan or 2 certainly wouldn't hurt. I was thinking in terms of future overclocking, so this is all helpful.
>>
>>60518899
For a CPU cooler you'd need a fan with a high static presure so look for that instead of RPM or CFM. Also buying some 3000RPM fan for a desktop you sit next to is crazy unless you're actually deaf. As for your CPU temps: the problem here is probably not the CPU fan itself, but you could consider buying a couple of quiet fans with reasonable CMF, this should probably drop temps inside your case quite a bit.
>>
>>60519512
That doesn't really look like an OC cooler, it's very small and as such only has a small area for heat dissipation. If OC is what you want you will very likely need to upgrade. Adding some (quiet) fans to your case also isn't a bad idea, you shouldn't need anything too extreme with a single graphics card, especially one with a blower which does not exhaust heat in the case.
>>
>>60519574
Yeah, I'm kind of looking at the balance between how much I could get out of this current setup with a few new fans vs say a new case and aio water cooler.
>>
>>60519562
>For a CPU cooler you'd need a fan with a high static presure
how do I know this?
>>
>>60520001
It's listed in the fan specs. At least it is on the noctua website.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.