[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on Synology NAS units

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Synology_DS216+II.png (83KB, 532x357px) Image search: [Google]
Synology_DS216+II.png
83KB, 532x357px
Guys please redpill me on Synology NASes.

I have about 3gb of working file on gdrive. I need a weekly snapshot/backup of these.

I want to be able to wget webpages, YT-DL some videos, etc. to a box at home.

I want to be able to keep a backup of my gog games & disc based stuff.

Is a Synology box the best pick? I am thinking the 216+II in Raid 1 with some 4tb Reds?

Can it do wget/yt-dl duties?

Power consumption is a concern (europoor) hence I am not keen of the whole "use some old power hungry pc as a nas" route.

Need the storage to be local too, hence not going cloud, vps, etc.

thanks guys
>>
>>60518328
NAS units are generally a trade-off between price and how much you're expected to do/know to run it, in this regard Synology is the Apple of NASes; expensive, but idiot-proof and will generally do anything you want it to.
>>
>>60518328
I own a Synology 1815+ and love it. Newer devices are much better of course. These days it's a tossup between QNAP and Synology.
I choose QNAP when I want to use my NAS as a player and will locate next to a screen or when I want to virtualize a machine under it's OS.
I choose the Synology at the time for the hardware AES support which for my own storage was most important.
Both are equally as easy to use.
I believe the Synology uses a SAS backplane so I judged the Synology to be of better quality at the time. In over 2 years of operation, I've never had an issue.
>>
>>60518403
>>60519126
/thread.

Synology and QNAP are network storage for people with more money than time.

You can definitely get cheaper hardware at any performance point, but the software interfaces are leagues better than FreeNAS et al.

My personal cutoff point is 10GbE and ECC support: a normal 1GbE box isn't worth fucking around with setting up myself, but the cost of a mid-business-level NAS is marked up enough that I'll spend the time to save a few thousand bucks.
>>
I'll be buying that 4-bay 916 model soon. Of course pre-built is better but when it comes to critical backups I don't want to fuck around or chance it.
>>
>>60520828
You can always download DSM or QTS since they run on x86 hardware anyway.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/how-to-install-xpenology-on-a-pc-499286.shtml
>>
>>60520841
> daily reminder that if you don't keep a second copy of data offsite, you're not really backing up
>>
>>60521112
Reminder that if you don't back up your external backup onto another backup device, you're a fucking dunce.

Reminder that incremental backups are a meme and aren't real backups.
>>
>>60521112
You are correct. With Synology I can set it to back up to another Synology since I have another household setup via site-to-site VPN.
>>
>>60521153
>Reminder that incremental backups are a meme and aren't real backups.

But incremental backups are the only realistic way of having secure encrypted backups on remote sites where you aren't in ultimate physical control. I.e., periodically pushing encrypted FS deltas as files to a remote server, rather than leaking anything with file sizes or access patterns for file or live encrypted block mirroring.
>>
>>60518328
>216+II in Raid 1
I can't speak to that model but any Synology I've worked with uses their hybrid raid.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.