[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay, you got me. I want to start using linux on my old laptop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: kiheU.jpg (450KB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
kiheU.jpg
450KB, 3072x2304px
Okay, you got me. I want to start using linux on my old laptop with an SSD.

Where do I start? Which Linux OS do I begin with? What do I need to know?
>>
>>60509848
Install Ubuntu. It just works.
If you dont like unity, then there is xubuntu, lubuntu or ubuntu mate shit
>>
install gentoo
>>
Choose ubuntu. And don't distro hop, it's better to learn how to make what you have comfortable.
>>
>>60509848
Lubuntu, if its actually and old computer. Otherwise start with any other flavor of Ubuntu. It really does just werk, and is a good way to get used to linux.
>>
Ubuntu or Mint for starters.
Personally use Manjaro
I like Mankato for the simple use and Arch linux base.
>>
>If you come from Apple try elementary OS
>if you come from Windows try Mint Cinnamon or Xubuntu
>if you want to learn something new and be productive check out Manjaro i3 community edition
>If you enjoy tablets and ike playing with Fisher-Price go for Ubuntu Gnome, kek
>>
>>60509848
anon, listen to me

install voidLinux and then start to distrohop. I recommend void > slack > manjaro > opensuse > ubuntu > ... > debian

you will learn a lot and then settle with debian
>>
>>60509848
Xubuntu us my go to installation for my old laptops.
>>
>>60510619

>Void as first distro

It is great, but for beginners? Are you insane?
>>
>>60510658
the idea is to force him to distrohop
>>
File: 1472886079636.jpg (54KB, 540x472px) Image search: [Google]
1472886079636.jpg
54KB, 540x472px
>Went to a Linux Usergroup today in my local city
>Literally four people showed up
>We get stuck in a computer lab
>Everyone brought a laptop but no one shared anything
>Everyone was awkward and no one really said much of anything

I want to slowly strangle something cute to death.
>>
>>60509848
Xubuntu. If your laptop is old, you should use lightweight DE (xfce in this case). Also install numix themes for desktop, windows and icons, it will look much better. If you want to learn how things work, install arch.
>>
>>60510596
>productive
>in a i3wm
are you retarded? these 2 are the exact opposite of each other.
>>
>>60510668

If he doesn't get too frustrated and is willing to read a bit before the installation your idea might just work, kek.
>>
>>60510685

>minimalist WM without distractions
>easy to use and set up
>highly customizable
>almost no waste of screen space
>fast and efficient workflow (who needs a mouse anyway, amirite?)
>>
>>60510758
Maybe openbox is better for a starter.

BUT JUST GO WITH UBUNTU, IT JUST WORKS
>>
File: output2(1).webm (3MB, 864x486px) Image search: [Google]
output2(1).webm
3MB, 864x486px
Use stock Fedora with GNOME 3.

Should work fine.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.