[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 345
Thread images: 29

File: C9Kso0SWAAAsmb0.jpg:large.jpg (133KB, 1394x884px) Image search: [Google]
C9Kso0SWAAAsmb0.jpg:large.jpg
133KB, 1394x884px
What are you working on, /g/?

Previous thread: >>60493195
>>
>>60499056
>Why OCaml
I thought this quote was about Go
>>
>>60499056
I'm CODING a new React+Mobx frontend for my APP
>>
>>60499056
Based Mr. Pike

Interesting that Google's answer to Swift i.e. Kotlin wasn't made by Google itself
>>
So are people in general just bad programmers?
>>
>>60499115

yes
>>
>>60499115
People Google hire, yes
>>
>Googlers
>not capable of understanding a brilliant language
Really boggles the noggin
>>
File: bda83406bd5076179d22ff3f56368ab0.png (109KB, 1802x647px) Image search: [Google]
bda83406bd5076179d22ff3f56368ab0.png
109KB, 1802x647px
started working on pic related for my python class
>>
>>60499162

kek
>>
>>60499056
Well doesn't that kind of apply to ocaml as well?
In ocaml you can't even plus two numbers unless they are the same type, int + int, float +. float.
>>
File: images.jpg (7KB, 221x228px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7KB, 221x228px
>>60499162
>python class

>A class for a language
>that entire screenshot
>>
>>60499162
There are schools out there that actually teach Python? Talk about dereliction of duty.
>>
>>60499115
Yes, but in line with the OP it's fashionable on the Internet to pretend otherwise by using some over-engineered FP shite to write your fizzbuzz programs.
>>
>>60499222
What's the matter? Are maps, filters, and folds too complicated for you?
>>
>>60496525
>hurr durr these small details about the syntax put me off
"elite" programmers indeed
>>
>>60499188
>Well doesn't that kind of apply to ocaml as well?
No, it doesn't.

>In ocaml you can't even plus two numbers unless they are the same type, int + int, float +. float.
Trying to equate this with not having generics is just silly.
>>
File: 1fd.png (91KB, 597x512px) Image search: [Google]
1fd.png
91KB, 597x512px
Hey boyyyyyyys ;)

Um, can you finish this assignment for me? I know a big, strong programmer like yourself can handle it.

public static boolean is_odd(int n) {
//Code here
}
>>
>>60499276
return true;
}
>>
>>60499250
>Trying to equate this with not having generics is just silly.
but that's the example people always give to justify generics
are you retarded or simply trolling?
>>
>>60499234
Not any more complicated than a for loop, but more importantly the languages that feature them prominently are all either slow, lazy, dynamically typed, or bad at concurrency and go is a better choice in the general case.
>>
>>60499294
No it's not. It's the example people give to try to justify ad-hoc polymorphism, not parametric polymorphism.
>>
What math should I know if I want to become a 1337 programmer?
>>
>>60499162
>(please use the or operator)
>>
>>60499311
Basic middle school algebra. Anyone who says otherwise is lying
>>
>>60499305
>Go
>Not dynamically typed
>>
>>60499056
in that quote, Pike is saying that Go is the brilliant language, because of its simplicity and because it allows programmers to be productive and not care about retarded details
watch the original presentation...
you misread it, that says more about you than about Go or Pike..

>>60499311
just learn Go
>>
>>60499343
>Go
>Not not dynamically typed
>>
>>60499358
I'm not misreading it. You're just desperately trying to twist it. Your attempt doesn't make sense. If Go is a "brilliant language", then he's saying Googlers aren't capable of understanding it. That would defeat the very purpose of creating it.
>>
>>60499276
return ((int )(Math.random() * 2) == 1);
}

Should work 50% of the time
>>
>>60499276
return !is_even(n);
}
>>
>>60499367
Go will never have a real type system. Python users love it because it's familiar.
>>
>>60499397
It has a type system.
>>
>>60499392
You forgot the other half.

>public static boolean is_even(int n) {
return !is_odd(n);
}
>>
File: 1256074715161.png (787KB, 4250x2391px) Image search: [Google]
1256074715161.png
787KB, 4250x2391px
>>60499382
>Giving different results for the same input variable
Absolutely disgusting
>>
>>60499437
referential transparency is just another word for useless
>>
>>60499437

gtfo functionalfag, this is real stateful programming
>>
>>60499378
>misreading
watch the original video. he argues that simplicity

>Your attempt doesn't make sense
says the one that took the pic from some random video titled "Why OCaml", lol

>he's saying Googlers aren't capable of understanding it
understanding a lang != learning it. you don't have to know how compilers work, what they do, etc.
>>
File: god.jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
god.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
>>60499430
OH MY GOOOOD
>>
>>60499382
>Should work 50% of the time
nice

according to maths, calling the function twice yields the correct result
>>
File: at a loss.png (45KB, 158x156px) Image search: [Google]
at a loss.png
45KB, 158x156px
can someone please explain the weight sliding function in backpropogation to me in plain english? ive only got a single neuron learning system but it uses a sigmoid function.
>>
>>60499453
>understanding a lang != learning it
This sounds like cargo-cult programming, which is rightly derided by the vast majority of highly-skilled programmers.

>you don't have to know how compilers work, what they do, etc.
Yes you do. You can't hope to write good, performant code if you don't have an understanding of what the compiler does with it. Are you saying there are programmers out there who don't know how compilers work?

>watch the original video. he argues that simplicity
Unless he's speaking a hitherto unknown dialect of English in which certain words mean their opposites, then he might be arguing that Go is simplistic, but certainly not that it's brilliant.
>>
>>60499453
t. butthurt golang code monkey
>>
>>60499293
kek
>>
>>60499519
if the language is simple and makes things obvious, you don't have to mess with the compiler/linker

but anyway, why am I arguing with you, you are set against Go, and IIRC, you don't even want to try it
here, go read some of these, perhaps they will convince you that learning Go won't harm you, and may indeed be a good thing, at least if you want to be productive and learn a new point of view:
https://github.com/golang/go/wiki/FromXToGo

>>60499529
I'm not the butthurt one here, m8
>>
>>60499412
So does JavaScript.
>>
>>60499056
Why haven't you learned Go yet?
https://github.com/golang/go/wiki/FromXToGo

Start here:
https://tour.golang.org
https://www.golang-book.com
>>
>>60499575
Yes, and? What does that have to do with Go not being dynamically typed?
>>
>>60499565
>if the language is simple
If the language is simple, you can't write good code with it.

>but anyway, why am I arguing with you, you are set against Go, and IIRC, you don't even want to try it
Many great programmers have sacrificed their sanity trying Go so that I don't have to.

>here, go read some of these, perhaps they will convince you that learning Go won't harm you, and may indeed be a good thing, at least if you want to be productive and learn a new point of view:
I don't need to try out a lobotomy or cutting off my fingers to convince myself that those things wouldn't make me more productive.
>>
>>60499605
No amount of nitpicking will make Go a good language.
>>
sorry to ask the dumbest question, but...

If i'm to start making a video game using unity, is the majority of my coding going to be setting up physics for the game itself? Isn't that provided by the engine already?
>>
>>60499618
>I won't learn a simple, easy to learn language because I have my own prejudices against it, based on opinions stated by "elite" programmers
>>
>>60499618
>If the language is simple, you can't write good code with it.

Oh wow. This board finds new ways to crack me up everyday.
>>
>>60499293
A bit more correct version.
boolean even = true;
for (int number = -2147483648; number < 2147483647; number++) {
if (n == number) {
break;
}
if (even == true) {
even = false;
} else if (even == false){
even = true;
}
}
return even == false;
}

public static boolean is_even(int n) {
boolean odd = false;
for (int number = -2147483648; number < 2147483647; number++) {
if (n == number) {
break;
}
if (odd == false) {
odd = true;
} else if ( odd == true){
odd = false;
}
}
return odd != true;
}

Also added the is_even function
>>
>>60499679
I don't want a purportedly simple and easy-to-learn language because it's useless. No good code has *ever* been written in Go. None.
>>
>>60499056
Which is better? Procedural programming or OOP?
>>
>>60499705
absolute madman
>>
>>60499749

OOP > Functional > Procedural > POOP
>>
>>60499768
What is POOP?
>>
>>60499773

Java "OOP".
>>
>>60499773
Indian oop
>>
>>60499773
Faeces
>>
Why is there no national programmers' association, union, or guild? The current situation allows corporations to run roughshod over programmers, and drive down wages by flooding the market with cheap unskilled labor.
>>
>>60499768
These seem more like programming philosophies than anything, does poop stand for Procedural OOP?
>>
>>60499798
im sure a lot of programmers are in guilds
>>
>>60499378
the quote isn't even about go
>>
>>60499798
because programmers are mostly classical liberals that believe in free market principles
>>
>>60499913
Liberals are worthless pieces of fucking shit.
>>
>>60499913
Even when they're getting screwed by it?
>>
>>60499250
How does it make you feel to realize that slide is about OCAML?
>>
>>60499580
because there's no use for that language
>>
>>60499798
Because unions are Jewish.
>>
>>60499935
yes it's a sacrifice to uphold principles
>>
>>60499378
Wow you're a retard
>>
>>60499945
Are you retarded? Oh, you're a Go fan, of course you are.
>>
So the quote is saying C++ and Java aren't brilliant languages either? I agree.

Anyone who has ever used Go would agree with Pike that it's truly brilliant.

(The fact that people get offended by this just shows how good of a language Go really is) .
>>
>>60499975
not him and also not a go fan but that slide is about ocaml friendo it says so right on the slide
>>
File: Ricochet_IM_logo.svg.png (350KB, 1200x1695px) Image search: [Google]
Ricochet_IM_logo.svg.png
350KB, 1200x1695px
>>60499056
>What are you working on, /g/?
On homework.

Adding a 'VIP'-Feature to ricochet
https://github.com/ricochet-im/ricochet

Contacts should optionally be marked as a VIP and every conversation with a VIP should be locally logged.

Please do it for me /geee/, I am too fucking tired
>>
>>60499989
>Anyone who has ever used Go would agree with Pike that it's truly brilliant.
It's brilliantly, fantastically shit. It's like Pike went to sleep in 1970, woke up a few years ago and decided to design a new language.

>>60499997
Are you completely dense? The video is of a talk given by some guy arguing that you should use OCaml. The slide in question is questioning the attitude of Rob Pike and Go, that you should make the language as stupid as possible so that even the dumbest programmer can use it.
>>
>>60499504 anyone?
>>
>>60499989
Java isn't brilliant by any means. On the other hand, the JVM and the huge ecosystem of tools, libraries and resources are brilliant, and that's what matters when you're creating software.
>>
>>60499975
>Go makes him feel so insecure that he has to spend day and night posting anti-Go comments
WELP

My theory is that only bad programmers hate go. They feel threatened by it. If you notice it's mostly C++ and Java programmers who hate it. That's because Go is quickly catching up to Java and C++ in performance and development in Go is probably 10 times faster than in those languages. Go code bases are also much easier to digest and understand then Java or C++. Most Java and C++ programmers barely know their language anyway and don't want to have to learn a new one.
>>
>>60500029
Yes, Spring is brilliant, a shining example of a good library/framework, gotta have those AbstractSingletonFactoryProxyMethodInvokingBean
>>
>>60500012
I was hoping for a second that was some opensource version of ricochet but I see its just a gay chat client.
>>
>>60500058
How can Go codebases be easier to digest and understand when the code in them is 10 times longer than it would be in most other contemporary languages because the language supports no reasonable means of abstraction?
>>
>>60500029
You've never used or studied Go have you?

>huge ecosystem of tools, libraries and resources

The Go creators had this in mind when designing the language, unlike the creators of Java/JVM.

Go is designed from the ground up for proper tooling. Java is literally designed to be used in IDEs.
>>
>>60500085
>he thinks longer code make it difficult
>he thinks Go really needs a lot of typing
and here's how we learned you don't even program
protip: programming involves lots of abstractions, specially using abstractions written by someone else...
>>
>>60499056
that is actually sad
especially seeing how the people i see that want to study "c++"
they are wholly incapable to use their brain
they are unable to read the documentation
they are unable to use a general syntax without someone providing them an absolutely explicit example of its usage
their work ethic looks like this
look at problem
google problem
copy paste shit until it kinda somehow maybe possibly with brainfuckery compiles
present it to the poor guy who has to check it
continue to have him explain how and why the shit they provide is wrong and bad
forgot everything you learned in the lectures and when the guy tried to explain
rinse repeat

i hate the scum i am around
>>
>>60500097
Post evidence that Go has large codebases compared to other languages (you wont).

Most Go codebases are very small imo, but size isn't what matters (you would know that if you were an actual programmer).

Java codebases are filled with tons of generated code, mile long class hierarchies, and indentation as thick as my neck.

Go is more digestible because of strict adherence to idioms and vetting tools packaged with the language. Java and C++ are rarely ever idiomatic because they don't have standard idioms or proper tools to make the code uniform and consistent (even when you use an IDE).

A Go program will look read the same no matter who it was written by if they adhere to the standards and idioms set forth by the language (and Go is packaged with tools that help them do that).

Go is the most digestible language ever conceived. Objectively.

t. C programmer
>>
>>60500226
meant for
>>60500085
>>
>>60500067
arguments for:
>gratis, free license
>most advanced application framework in history
>successfully used in enterprise software that makes the world turn
>ridiculous number of resources to learn from available
>runs on the JVM

arguments against:
>some internal classes have long names

yep

>>60500097
I never used it because it literally does not have any uses. It has superior competition in every niche its supposed to fill.

>>60500085
>longer code is always harder to understand
longer code can mean more verbosity and therefore easier understanding. the less magic, the less previous knowledge needed to understand the code.
unless of course the code is long because of technicalities like manual memory management.
>>
>>60500256
>>successfully used in enterprise software that makes the world turn
>>ridiculous number of resources to learn from available
popularity is not an argument
and the java docs suck IMO
>>
Go is mostly in the C family (basic syntax), with significant input from the Pascal/Modula/Oberon family (declarations, packages), plus some ideas from languages inspired by Tony Hoare's CSP, such as Newsqueak and Limbo (concurrency). However, it is a new language across the board. In every respect the language was designed by thinking about what programmers do and how to make programming more effective.

Go attempts to reduce the amount of typing in both senses of the word. Throughout its design, we have tried to reduce clutter and complexity. There are no forward declarations and no header files; everything is declared exactly once. Initialization is expressive, automatic, and easy to use. Syntax is clean and light on keywords. Stuttering (foo.Foo* myFoo = new(foo.Foo)) is reduced by simple type derivation using the := declare-and-initialize construct. And perhaps most radically, there is no type hierarchy: types just are, they don't have to announce their relationships. These simplifications allow Go to be expressive yet comprehensible without sacrificing, well, sophistication.

Another important principle is to keep the concepts orthogonal. Methods can be implemented for any type; structures represent data while interfaces represent abstraction; and so on. Orthogonality makes it easier to understand what happens when things combine.
>>
Go was born out of frustration with existing languages and environments for systems programming. Programming had become too difficult and the choice of languages was partly to blame. One had to choose either efficient compilation, efficient execution, or ease of programming; all three were not available in the same mainstream language. Programmers who could were choosing ease over safety and efficiency by moving to dynamically typed languages such as Python and JavaScript rather than C++ or, to a lesser extent, Java.

Go is an attempt to combine the ease of programming of an interpreted, dynamically typed language with the efficiency and safety of a statically typed, compiled language. It also aims to be modern, with support for networked and multicore computing. Finally, working with Go is intended to be fast: it should take at most a few seconds to build a large executable on a single computer. To meet these goals required addressing a number of linguistic issues: an expressive but lightweight type system; concurrency and garbage collection; rigid dependency specification; and so on. These cannot be addressed well by libraries or tools; a new language was called for.
>>
No major systems language has emerged in over a decade, but over that time the computing landscape has changed tremendously. There are several trends:

Computers are enormously quicker but software development is not faster.
Dependency management is a big part of software development today but the “header files” of languages in the C tradition are antithetical to clean dependency analysis—and fast compilation.
There is a growing rebellion against cumbersome type systems like those of Java and C++, pushing people towards dynamically typed languages such as Python and JavaScript.
Some fundamental concepts such as garbage collection and parallel computation are not well supported by popular systems languages.
The emergence of multicore computers has generated worry and confusion.

We believe it's worth trying again with a new language, a concurrent, garbage-collected language with fast compilation. Regarding the points above:

It is possible to compile a large Go program in a few seconds on a single computer.
Go provides a model for software construction that makes dependency analysis easy and avoids much of the overhead of C-style include files and libraries.
Go's type system has no hierarchy, so no time is spent defining the relationships between types. Also, although Go has static types the language attempts to make types feel lighter weight than in typical OO languages.
Go is fully garbage-collected and provides fundamental support for concurrent execution and communication.
By its design, Go proposes an approach for the construction of system software on multicore machines.
>>
how ironic, a whole anti-Go post as a new /dpt/ thread managed to make it pro-Go
>>
> It has superior competition in every niche its supposed to fill.

Not in network programming, which is it main niche. Once again you prove you don't know anything about programming and everyone should ignore your posts.
>>
File: 1494723769128.jpg (24KB, 289x340px) Image search: [Google]
1494723769128.jpg
24KB, 289x340px
I still don't understand functional programming. Can someone help?
>>
>>60500326
>It is possible to compile a large Go program in a few seconds on a single computer.
This means that the compiler is doing very little work. This means that you, the programmer, are doing the work that the compiler should be doing.
>>
>>60500356

What's your programming background?

Pure functional programming and functional elements in multi-paradigm languages are quite different.
>>
Go is literally the best language.

>but muh generics

Anyone who complains about lack of generics probably doesn't even know what generics are. Generics are just a way for the language to guess what you're trying to do. Anyone who is reliant on them isn't a good programmer.
>>
>>60500396

>Generics are just a way for the language to guess what you're trying to do.
No that's overloading. You can be plenty explicit with generics.
>>
>>60500368
You should take a class in logic and compiler design because you're way off. Have you ever even used C?

And even if you were right, it would indicate that bad programmers choose languages that take long to compile because they're dependent on generated code.

Git good.
>>
>>60500396
I like go but please stop posting dumb shit.
>>
>>60500429
Do you think it's a good thing to have to write code that could be automatically generated? Do you think that's a good use of your time?
>>
>>60500027
You'll have to explain the phrase "weight sliding function." I've only done a little bit of ML, but I don't recall that in any literature.
>>
where i can find some easy assignments that would help me learn c#?
>>
>>60500417
Then you defeat the purpose of them. Generics are a way for programmers to say something in a round-about way instead of a straightforward way.

Generics are for bad programmers.

>>60500442
I bet you don't like Go, you're just saying that because you have literally no counter argument.
>>
>>60500459
if you can't even search a substring in a string, don't bother.
>>
>>60500450
Better than spending hours debugging a program only to find out a bottle neck is being caused by generated code and then having to re-write the code from scratch my self anyway

>the life of a java dev

t. former java dev
>>
>>60500450
That's a tangent to the dumb idea that a slow compiler must be doing important work (as opposed to recompiling the same header file 15 times because of the retarded language standard).
>>
>>60500396
>Generics are just a way for the language to guess what you're trying to do. Anyone who is reliant on them isn't a good programmer.
>he doesn't know what mixins are
>>>/trash/
>>
>>60500384
I know C/C++ and OOP.
>>
File: backpropagation.png (72KB, 631x732px) Image search: [Google]
backpropagation.png
72KB, 631x732px
>>60500451
this bit here
>>
File: 1488049902624.jpg (447KB, 950x950px) Image search: [Google]
1488049902624.jpg
447KB, 950x950px
>>60500417
>overloading
>guessing what you're trying to do

wat. How?
Overloading is explicit since it is resolved at compile-time, which means that you can always look up what happens.

Operator overloading (at least in C++) can make for a pretty convenient level of abstraction. The danger is however that an inexperienced programmer is unaware of this abstraction existing and just goes "it just werks".
>>
>>60500460

>Generics are a way for programmers to say something in a round-about way instead of a straightforward way.
I don't understand how you can come to this conclusion.
>>
>>60499293
it's right half the time!
>>
>start learning java
>open IDE
>all the code is already written for me

>learning go
>says to open a "text editor"

Go is for idiots who actually want to understand how programming works. Why would you ever want to do that?

Clearly I'm smarter than Go developers.
>>
>>60500499
No, I didn't.
>>he doesn't know what mixins are
What's wrong with his post is right there.
>>
>>60500275
popularity isn't, but being proven and having lots of learning resources is

>and the java docs suck IMO
haven't had a problem with it myself. also spring's documentation is great

>>60500356
https://github.com/bitemyapp/learnhaskell

>>60500368
that's funny because C++ compilation times are long and yet the programmer does tons of work he shouldn't be doing
>>
>le meta-contrarian /dpt/
>>
>>60499705

OMG WTF DOES THIS NOT WORK???? ALL I GET IS FALSE??
>>
>>60500508
You're just moving the goal posts around now.

You lost the debate.

Go > Java, C++
>>
>>60500505
Assuming it is used in an ordinal sense, if it is use randomly where even numbers as prevalent, it may never be right.
>>
The Go people are winning the debate.

oh no.
>>
>>60500557
It's not surprising. If you flood a room with shit, the shit wins.
>>
>>60500586
No you're just losing the debate.

t. Java dev who hates Go

I see a lot of people making technical arguments in favor of Go but everyone who is anti-go is basing it on non-technical aspects.
>>
>>60500557
then I must've skipped the part when they tell me what can I actually use Go for
>>
>>60499056
>too stupid for C
>so we'll give them some crippled fisher price language
Wew.
>>
>>60500600
same thing with rust, most of the hate for rust is "HURRRR SJWS" and other inane crap like that
>>
>>60500486

Aight, neat.
In C++, you can overload operator().
struct Foo
{
void operator()
{
std::cout << "Functor invoked";
}
}

int main()
{
Foo x;
x();
}

So this means you can box up a function, and treat it like an object. You can pass it around and give it to something else, and then run it. It's a similar concept to function pointers.
C++ has a concise syntax for creating function objects - this is lambda syntax.
auto my_lambda = [](){ std::cout << "This is a lambda"; };
my_lambda();

With me?
>>
>>60500495
i think youre missing his point

operator overloads suck unless its very obvious what they are doing

yes they are "explicit" but having to go looking to see exactly what they do is annoying when you could have just made a function with a descriptive name and parameter list that i could deduce right away.
>>
>>60500626
pls no
>>
>>60499056
Oh just my imageboard, 4kev.org
>>
The multi-user shutdown notification for apartheid linux should be changed to "donald j trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown"
>>
>>60500626
Uh huh
>>
Java codebases are filled with tons of generated code, mile long class hierarchies, and indentation as thick as my neck.

Go is more digestible because of strict adherence to idioms and vetting tools packaged with the language. Java and C++ are rarely ever idiomatic because they don't have standard idioms or proper tools to make the code uniform and consistent (even when you use an IDE).

A Go program will look and read the same no matter who it was written by if they adhere to the standards and idioms set forth by the language (and Go is packaged with tools that help them do that).

Go is the most digestible language ever conceived. Objectively.

t. C programmer
>>
>>60500613
Lots of people way smarter than you use OCaml on a daily basis for work.
>>
chapel cannot even use libraries that was compiled with it
Ocaml just has shitty syntax and GIL
ATS has even more retarded syntax than ocaml
The only decent language is scheme(bigloo).
>>
>>60500636
>cross-thread and cross-board quotelinks not implemented
stop refreshing /dpt/ and go do this shit
>>
>>60500600
>No you're just losing the debate.
Hardly. The Go shills just think they're winning because they don't understand any of the points being made against Go, and therefore assume that they're invalid.

The rest of us are realizing that arguing with them is futile, because they're incapable of having a reasoned debate.
>>
>>60499194
>Colour
Don't think they're American m8
>>
File: iVGlUgTT5FNWH.png (2MB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
iVGlUgTT5FNWH.png
2MB, 1280x1280px
>>60500536
Doing it wrong if it doesn't work.
>>
>>60500491
I assume n is the learning rate. This can be anything you decide. Delta = f'(sum of weights * values for current vector) * (desired output - output you calculated), where f is the activation function, which is typically the sigmoid you were talking about. The derivative of that is sig(x) * (1 - sig(x)). The y should just be the node output if not mistaken.
>>
>>60499931
>>60499931
You have no idea how ignorant you are. That's cute. Classical liberals are more like modern libertarians.
>>
>>60500671
And yet you still have no real argument whereas >>60500645
is a real technical argument.

Go haters on suicide watch!
>>
>go shills think this function's type is "too complicated" and "not digestible"

compose : forall a b c. (b -> c) -> (a -> b) -> a -> c
>>
>>60500645
DELET THIS
>>
>>60500645
>>60500689
I really want to see some inconsistent Java code
>>
>>60500695
looks like shit, would get deleted in any sane code review
>>
>>60500689
>the only other language is Java
>automatically generated code can only mean code generated by Java frameworks
Go fans on a different fucking planet.
>>
>>60500710
The Go mindset in a nutshell. Anything remotely reusable must be deleted.
>>
>>60500718
Who are you quoting?
>>
Generics are useful in other languages, but in Go you don't really need them since interfaces are implemented implicitly.
>>
>>60500695
Not sure if trolling or not but that syntax looks like literal vomit.

>>60500705
>build.gradle
>>
>>60499276

if (n % 2 != 0) {
return true
}
return false
>>
>>60500734
>that
>reusable
Pick one
>>
File: sadloli.png (570KB, 1080x1600px) Image search: [Google]
sadloli.png
570KB, 1080x1600px
>>60499056
working on the official /dpt/ tetris game, the latest /dpt/ community project.

please next time use an anime image

>>60500356
maybe, are you using IRC?

>>60500282
>>60500304
>>60500326
https://blog.plan99.net/modern-garbage-collection-911ef4f8bd8e
http://qr.ae/drvVS
http://qr.ae/drvm8
http://yager.io/programming/go.html
http://nomad.so/2015/03/why-gos-design-is-a-disservice-to-intelligent-programmers/
http://java.dzone.com/news/i-don%E2%80%99t-much-get-go
http://dtrace.org/blogs/wesolows/2014/12/29/golang-is-trash/
http://www.lessonsoffailure.com/software/google-go-not-getting-us-anywhere/
http://www.lessonsoffailure.com/software/googles-go-not-getting-us-anywhere-part-2/
http://www.lessonsoffailure.com/software/google-go-good-for-nothing/
https://gist.github.com/kachayev/21e7fe149bc5ae0bd878

C++ clang++:                    5.518077517 seconds time elapsed
C++ G++: 4.659448453 seconds time elapsed

Rust rustc: 6.583698221 seconds time elapsed

Java OpenJDK: 1.189619693 seconds time elapsed

Crystal: 3.034363672 seconds time elapsed

Go Go: 33.553163084 seconds time elapsed
Go gccgo: 17.438276362 seconds time elapsed
>>
>>60500767
>function composition is not reusable
wew lad
>>
>>60500705
https://github.com/mttkay/droid-fu/blob/master/src/test/java/com/github/droidfu/http/BetterHttpTestBase.java

https://github.com/mttkay/ignition/blob/master/ignition-core/ignition-core-lib/src/com/github/ignition/core/adapters/RemoteImageGalleryAdapter.java

You won't see much variance in Go code if they use the go vet tool that's packaged with the language.
>>
>>60500781
it's not, it doesn't even make sense and looks like shit, impossible to tell what it does at first glance

not reusable.
>>
>>60500798
>impossible to tell what it does at first glance
Fucking lol, Go users really are retarded.
>>
>>60500770
Go beats Java and C++ on more than half of all benchmarks. The only way to make C++ and Java look better than Go is to cherry pick benchmarks.

https://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/go.html

https://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/compare.php?lang=go&lang2=gpp

Go wins
>>
>>60500645
>t. C programmer
figures
>>
>>60500491
>>60500684
Also, if you want to take a break from the math, and instead take a stab at it through programming, take a look at https://karpathy.github.io/neuralnets/
>>
>>60500217
To you and generally everyone else:
A language Isn't a magic bullet in education that will churn out intelligent developers. It's up to the programmers themselves to be intelligent in their learning process. This may be an anecdote, but when I've offered help to my peers in uni I discovered that half of them only want to get the right output for the assignment and did not want to learn how to do it. They just wanted me to give them the answer rather than give them help. And despite this just being me ranting about my experience, there's plenty of threads here daily where people go in depth of these situations.

My point is that c,cpp, java, and python seem to have the most shitters isn't because they are shit languages (though cpp can sometimes be a trainwreck), it's because those are the languages that are taught to students whom shitters are a subset of. Go and OCaml appear to not have shitters simply because the average shitter won't take time to learn them. If the average shitter had to, like for a data structures course, then you'll see how these "beautiful languages" can be destroyed.
>>
>>60500807
I don't even use Go, you're just easy to bait.

Take your shitty functional programming language and stay unemployed.
>>
>>60500684
i dont understand the math at all, but what ive been given in other material is weight += input_output_delta * learning_rate, but this inevitably results in the total error increasing for some reason
>>
>>60500811
Go wins c++ only in one of the samples...
>>
>>60500807
Tell me what this does:

:: { -> {b, a) <- (a, b) | (a, a) }

You wont
>>
>>60500828
>I was only pretending to be retarded!
>>
>>60500827
> there's plenty of threads here daily where people go in depth of these situations
What? /g/ is a cesspool and the last place you go for quality discussion about fundamental CS concepts

even this thread is literally about language holy wars
>>
>>60500638
kek
>>
>>60500396
You have no idea what generics are do you?
>>
>>60500842
>the more unreadable and unintelligible i make my code, the smarter i am!
- you, in the unemployment line
>>
>>60500840
nothing, the brackets are mismatched
>>
>>60500396
>Generics are just a way for the language to guess what you're trying to do.
What the fuck am I reading
>>
>>60500860
I know they for bad programmers.

Good programmers use interfaces. Much more powerful, safe, and verbose.
>>
>>60500883

Generics and interfaces serve completely different purposes senpai.
>>
>>60500754
not java

>>60500786
>https://github.com/mttkay/ignition/blob/master/ignition-core/ignition-core-lib/src/com/github/ignition/core/adapters/RemoteImageGalleryAdapter.java
>https://github.com/mttkay/droid-fu/blob/master/src/test/java/com/github/droidfu/http/BetterHttpTestBase.java
Nothing wrong with these snippets. the first one is very standard Java, the second one is a very standard use of Mockito and JUnit which are industry standards.
I don't get it.
>>
>>60500868
>a function to compose functions is unreadable and unintelligible!
>>
so did google send a shill squad or is everyone just pretending to be retarded today?
>>
>>60500759
>If statement

Pfffft
>>
>>60500883
typeclasses > interfaces
>>
>>60500831
If you're doing this on your free time, I would suggest taking a step back for a bit. Read:
https://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~hal/courses/2013S_ML/math4ml.pdf
Then follow Andrew Ng's video lectures. But also check out that link I sent you in >>60500820.
>>
>>60500908
Does it matter?
>>
>>60500852
Your argument is non sequitor, there are threads here every day where anon tries to help a pajeet tier student and the student turns out to be a moron. Or threads where interviewers describe some of their interviewees
>>
>>60500908
>unironically believing paid shills are a common occurrence on 4chan
back to r*ddit
>>
>>60500908
Maybe it's their SJW squad. After all, Go levels the playing field by making it impossible to use intelligence while using it.
>>
>>60500955
>threads where interviewers describe some of their interviewees
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
>>
>>60500930
ive kind of got a deadline ive been putting off from being a bit burned out, but ill take a peek
>>
why doesnt this work

char* timeNowToString() {
time_t timeNow;
char stringTime[100];
struct tm* ptr;
time(&timeNow);

ptr = localtime(&timeNow);

strftime(stringTime, 100, "%d/%m/%Y %H:%M:%S", ptr);

//printf("%s", stringTime);

return stringTime;
}

but if i make it void and put the printf inside the function it prints fine?
>>
File: 1454454333891.png (210KB, 680x581px) Image search: [Google]
1454454333891.png
210KB, 680x581px
I want to use an inertial platform to get a precise estimation of a car position (GPS gives 5 meter uncertainty and kinematic model just don't cut it. Also I don't have encoders on the wheels and the speedometer is shit)

I use an nvidia Jetson as the onboard computer

Anyone knows what sensor should I use? I don't care much of price anymore since the shitty cheap IMU give shit results.
If I can "steal" someone's code and don't have to interface it with the computer from scratch that would be great.
>>
>>60500995

stringTime is only scoped for that function
char* stringTime = malloc(sizeof(char) * 100);

and free it when you're done.
>>
>>60500770
>muh benchmarks from 2015 without source code
>>
File: ss-2017-05-20-19-33-33.png (13KB, 705x68px) Image search: [Google]
ss-2017-05-20-19-33-33.png
13KB, 705x68px
>>60501011
gee I have no idea. if only the compiler could tell you
>>
>>60501040
thanks it works now. but im not sure when i should free it
>>
>>60501083

When you're done with it.
>>
>>60500852
>even this thread is literally about language holy wars
that's almost every single thread... there is no thread in which people won't "argue" (because usually there are no arguments) about this-vs-that-lang
>>
>>60501095
im gonna be calling that function every 5 seconds to print a timestamp

so i have to do free(timeNowToString()); after every print?
>>
>>60501130

Yep. Consider renaming your function and putting the printf inside.
>>
>>60501130
>>60501159
or passing the buffer to write to as an argument (+its size) and allocate it on the stack of the caller so you're not thrashing heap allocations
>>
>functional programming
>calling a function every time you need to do something, no matter how dumb it is
you sure love wasting CPU cycles
>>
Why isn't there a /dpt/ collaborative project?
>>
>>60501224
because a bunch of autists can't work together
>>
>>60501224
https://github.com/withmetta/g_tetris/
>>
Anyone with exp in CMake wanna help an anon out
>>
>>60501211
quality post
>>
>>60501159
im printing to different files
>>60501178
this also works thanks
>>
>>60501247
>>60501238
>makefile
>mingw

i don't even want to look at the code now.
>>
File: 1487608084850.jpg (53KB, 312x312px) Image search: [Google]
1487608084850.jpg
53KB, 312x312px
>>60501247
>mingw
>Download and build SFML (make sure to adhere to paths in the makefile)
>>
>>60501299
i am not using the makefile and i am compiling with clang++. what's your problem with mingw?
>>
File: dragoncolors.gif (599KB, 794x795px) Image search: [Google]
dragoncolors.gif
599KB, 794x795px
>>60501299
>>60501311
If you don't want to contribute with code, you can still share your advices and ideas.

https://github.com/withmetta/g_tetris/issues/5

Everyone's opinions is important and welcome.
>>
>>60500085
what the fuck
>>
>>60501359
What fucking ideas can there be if it's fucking tetris?
>>
>>60500976
Not an argument
>>
>>60499430
I know a guy that wrote a programming language where code like that actually worked
>>
>>60501412
It's not a new idea, I think Prolog is designed for those kinds of semantics.
>>
>>60501377
the choice of the data structures
how the rendering of the different graphic elements (playfield, score, next tetromino, ...) will be done
the graphic style
gameplay features
multiplayer through network?
multiplayer vs AI?

Tetris is more complex than you think

https://tetris.wiki/TGM_rotation
https://tetris.wiki/SRS
https://tetris.wiki/Floor_kick
>>
>>60501211
>programming in anything but assembly
>interpreting a statement every time you need to do something, no matter how dumb it is
you sure love wasting CPU cycles

If the compiler is awful, the performance will be too.
Inlining functions isn't black magic, and is implemented by any decent compiler.
>>
File: two_tools.jpg (124KB, 393x1764px) Image search: [Google]
two_tools.jpg
124KB, 393x1764px
i present to you:

/dpt/ language wars in a nutshell
>>
>>60501592
Wow this comic fucking sucks.
>>
File: toolbelt anon.jpg (112KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
toolbelt anon.jpg
112KB, 1280x720px
>>60501592
>>
>>60500930
>>60500820
that first link is exceedingly fucking tedious, to the point where what hes trying to do is lost in the details. all i need to know is what the proper algorithm for sliding an individual weight is, beyond that i think i have a working understanding of the problem.
>>
Can male (female) programmers potentially program well?
>>
>>60501592
kek
>>
>>60501650
Anybody with a label is doomed to fail.
But I'm sure you can get Patreon donations!
>>
>>60501668
I didn't choose the label, it's just that it's impossible to be a tomboy any more.
>>
lets assume im printing something to a file with this format in c

fprintf(file, "[%d] %6s %20s %30s\n", ...

how do i then access that file and, for example, add all the integers and return that?
>>
File: 1486006911270.png (277KB, 690x932px) Image search: [Google]
1486006911270.png
277KB, 690x932px
>>60499056
You really shouldn't use C++. It's complete garbage.
>>
>>60501693
do you mean this?

int n;
char s1[6];
char s2[20];
char s3[30];

fscanf(file, "[%d] %6s %20s %30s\n", &n, s1, s2, s3);
>>
>>60501750

name a language as fast and flexible
>>
>>60499115
people are bad at everything
>>
>>60499768
Has POO completely destroyed your ability to typecheck before posting?
>>
>>60501764
>what is rust
>>
File: 1495304790432.png (45KB, 741x643px) Image search: [Google]
1495304790432.png
45KB, 741x643px
reminder that women don't belong in computer science and STEM in the same proportions as men
>>
>>60501630
If you can read Python, this may be more clear:
http://machinelearningmastery.com/implement-backpropagation-algorithm-scratch-python/
Section 4.1 describes the learning formula you circled.
>>
>>60501764
What is "flexible"?
>>
>>60501764
Lisp
>>
>>60501751
yeah.
but if i really only want the int do i need to fscanf all variables anyways?
>>
>>60501804
I hate to say this, but yes, even the trash that is Lisp is better than sepples.
>>
>>60501693
int p1;
char p2[7];
char p3[21];
char p4[31];
fscanf (file, "[%d] %6s %20s %30s\n", &p1, p2, p3, p4);
>>
>>60501764
asm
>>
>>60501842
>flexible
>>
>>60501790
thanks, thats much better. strangely enough, thats exactly the same as what ive got, only he seems to be calculating the delta with some other formula, so ill look into that.
>>
I wrote a WSDL web service in .Net some 10 years ago that basically passes along data to a database from mobile clients (50 to 150 online during daytime). It works but having a windows server instance up an running is expensive and not having an actual fucking idea how I once set it up makes it a single point of failure.

I'm kind of lazy but wouldn't mind learning golang. I take it that golang would be perfect for this. Make some REST shit or whatever it's called. Then push the software into AWS on a micro or nano instance for 100 times lower cost.

What are your thoughts?
>>
>>60501855
begone, go shill
>>
>>60501851
No problem, good luck.
>>
>>60501825
if i want for example the sum of the int variable do i have to do this

while(fscanf (file, "[%d] %6s %20s %30s\n", &p1, p2, p3, p4) == 4) {
sum+=p1;
}
>>
>>60499243
go is ridiculously bad tho
>>
>>60501855
I tried to do WSDL parsing in Go last week and it's not the right language for it.
It has XML namespace support, but only for element names, where WSDL abuses XML by using them inside string values.
Choose another language or redesign your API.
>>
File: 1491269970713.png (2MB, 549x800px) Image search: [Google]
1491269970713.png
2MB, 549x800px
>>60499056
Writing a theorem prover in Bash.
>>
>>60501855
why are you even asking us? see >>60499580
just do it
>>
>>60501764
Python.
>>
>>60500811
Most "benchmarks" showing that their favorite GC language beat C or C++ have very poor C/C++ implementations. They are either bad on purpose or because of poor C/C++ understanding. Like making 1000 copies in C++ instead of just passing a reference. Not that I shit on Go or anything. The right tool for the right job. I'll probably learn Go because my local library has a Golang book in stock.
>>
>>60499079
it is, I think (hope) the person in the video is criticizing it
>>60499110
Koltin already exists and has support for everything they need. They could've chosen Go or Dart, but either one would take a lot of work to port to the JVM and make it compatible with Android. plus, Kotlin is still better designed than either one. Honestly, I think they should've just gone with Swift but that would've taken forever to port
>>60499305
my language will be fast, strict, statically typed, and best-in-class in concurrency
>>60499188
this has been fixed in many ways in OCaml. yesterday i discovered an interesting library that rewrites literals into objects and uses row polymorphism to create a (+) operator: https://github.com/Charlesetc/Orb
>>60500085
this, getting rid of declarative programming by cutting out generics and every nice feature just makes code harder to read
>>60500226
here's your (you)
>>60499580
because I'm not a pajeet brainlet who can't grasp generics
>>60500282
>Go attempts to reduce the amount of typing
>no generics
>>60501592
Go language arguments:
"a massive dildo is better than a Swiss army knife"
>>
>>60502008
They said fast.
>>
>>60502036
>my language will be statically typed
No shit. Any other kind is simply impossible.
>>
>>60502036
>generics
What is a "Generics"?
>>
>>60500811
what? go beat c++ in only one benchmark.
>>
Hello, I was wondering what should learn to be C++ programmer and get hired? I'm currently in school but I running out of cash and I would like to develop skills faster.
>>
>>60502047
true, but I'm just replying to the poster. more specifically, it will have very few dynamic attributes to its type system as compared to its competitors and will extend its type system deep into the concurrency system
>>60502074
parametric polymorphism
>>
>>60502093
Use it as your daily language. I hope you code every day anon.
>>
>>60502037
CPython with C extensions
>>
>>60502012
>Like making 1000 copies in C++ instead of just passing a reference
>muh references
nice meme
>>
>>60502036
Kotlin is a real disappointment. Nowhere near adventurous enough. You can't even chain the ? operator.
>>
>>60502102
>being a codemonkey
Quality > quantity.
>>
>>60502129
of course, but it's a huge improvement over Java. I don't expect Google to delve very far in the right direction considering the fact that they made Go. baby steps tho
>>
>>60501865
I code C++ and recently some C# for a living since a few decades ago and the lol no generics makes no sense to me. Still I don't mind learning new techniques. It's the only way to actually be relevant when you get older as a programmer unless you want to end up working for the same company until you die.

>>60501986
Kind of new to webservices and outside my comfort zone since I work closer to the metal. I hardly had any idea what I was doing with that .Net WSDL implementation. What should I study up on? I need to pass datastructures pretty much over http due to the mobile network having locked pretty much any other traffic.

>>60501996
If it suits my immediate needs. If not I have more pressing issues at hand I need to take care of first before learning Go.
>>
>>60502036
Will your language be able to prove the law of the excluded middle (without using general recursion)?
>>
>>60502152
>being an ideas guy
Just fucking code
>>
>>60502181
I don't "code".
>>
>>60502162
Scala already exists and its type system is considerably better (read: more useful) than Kotlin's. It has great interoperability with Java and it runs on the JVM, too.
>>
>>60502181
I program exclusively in anime.
>>
>>60502122
No this is a very real problem. People coming from Java or .Net don't have to think due to reference types. When they write C++ code they don't understand that they are copying their objects when not using references.
>>
>>60502200
>more useful
For whom?
>>
>>60502228
>asking this question
For what purpose?
>>
>>60502168
why would it? it's a domain specific language that makes no attempt to solve general theorems
>>60502200
it's also very broken because it's an ungodly mixture of FP and OOP. it's like F#, but with more speculation for features and less testing their implementations. also, not compatible with Java 6 (required by Android)
>>
>>60502181
I spend all day yesterday reading about continued fraction representations, and how the convergents solve the Pell equation x^2 -Dy^2 = 1 for the continued fraction of sqrt(D), specifically the minimized solution relating to where the fraction representation becomes periodic. Only then did I write any code. But a codemonkey like you would just copypaste.
>>
>>60502266
You made a meaningless statement which can be fixed by answering this simple question.
>>
>>60502268
There is a crucial difference between F#'s type system and Scala's type system. One that makes the former a toy and the latter actually useful.
>>
>>60502269
I got my degree in math.
I project my insecurities onto other people.
My insecurities are that I'm not actually fucking coding, I'm reading and shitposting on 4chan.
>>
>>60502227
>what is rust
>>
>>60502268
>why would it?
Because most shitlangs can and it's more than likely that your language will be shit as well.
>>
>>60502291
>There is a crucial difference between F#'s type system and Scala's type system
Elaborate?
>>
>>60502299
A shit language designed to let low skilled programmers to stay low skilled and unemployed.
>>
>>60502298
But I don't have any degree. I'm just not a codemonkey. Did your little codemonkey brain just assume someone willing to read about maths must also have a degree? No, it's because I make sure to understand any algorithm I implement.
>>
>>60502354
The Rust kernel will kill Linux any day now.
>>
>>60502370
This
>>
>the language is over engineered
Name a more brainlet statement then this.
>>
>>60502327
http://typelevel.org/blog/2016/08/21/hkts-moving-forward.html
>>
>>60502370
I eagerly await that day. Will it be before or after GNU/Hurd becomes mainstream?
>>
>>60502327
one is funded by microsoft money
>>
If I learn to code can I program myself a gf?
>>
File: images.png (5KB, 226x223px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
5KB, 226x223px
>>60499950
>his unions aren't either jewish OR ...
>well then what the fuck are you even using unions for
>mfw
>>
File: 1364807727593.jpg (59KB, 650x416px) Image search: [Google]
1364807727593.jpg
59KB, 650x416px
>>60502370
>>
>>60502291
it still has many bugs in practice. can't find the specific thing, but there was a bug until the latest release where inference of the top type allowed for the following to work:
let a, b = if thing1 then [1; 2; 3] else 7

>>60502306
it may be able to in theory, I have no idea yet because the type system is still being modified slightly. but the important thing is that it would likely never be useful in my language. personally, I would recommend its use as a scheduling/load balancing layer over a layer written in ATS or Rust for the actual computation (like using Erlang to schedule a C++ program)
>>
>>60502411
yes but you'll need a lot of graph theory and the world's most sophisticated understanding of neurobiology
>>
>>60502427
>but the important thing is that it would likely never be useful in my language
It's not supposed to be "useful" (not that that's even a valid word). It's just a quick indicator of how shit a language is.
>>
>>60502443
>the world's most sophisticated understanding of neurobiology
found the feminist
>>
>>60502396
Why the hell would anyone use F#?
>>
Hello. What's the most efficient AI for battleship? I mean one that will win in the least amount of moves.
So far I check the board in a checkerboard like pattern, (as the maximum ship length is 2). I can't think up anymore things to do though
>>
>>60502467
Lesser beings are generally harder to understand on an intuitive level. So obviously you would need to study them.
>>
>>60502472
Microsoft fanboys?
>>
I started using the "How To Design Programs" book to attempt to get a better notion at programming. How good is this? Am I better just reading some C book? (If so, please name it.)
>>
>>60502467
if you're insinuating that i'm saying the understanding would have to be more sophisticated because it's a woman, you're mistaken. you'd just as well have to have the world's most sophisticated understanding of neurobiology to program a man, a child, or a dog
>>
>>60502456
good
>>60502472
autism. it's literally terrible and every single piece of it is self-contradictory in some way. there was quite obviously no planning used in its design
>>
>>60502510
It's a great book, I definitely recommend it. I still come back to it every so often for tips and the design recipe they build up throughout it is a really useful guide even after you move to other languages.
>>
>>60502495
women aren't even lesser beings though
and you can't accuse me of being a feminist for saying that, because these days de facto equality of the genders is a commonly accepted postulate of civil life
>>
>>60502598
not among virgins without social lives :^)
>>
>>60502510
Build things and struggle. Take breaks from struggle to read books. Read Modern C.
>>
>>60502491
Have another person look at the opponent's board and signal you the locations. That's how I won anyways.

If I were you I would look at some battleship game theory/strategy. I'm sure someone already figure it out.
>>
how do people usually program the buffers for 3d graphics?
the vertex buffer is constant and they keep changing the uniform buffer?
>>
>>60502614
well that's fair i suppose
i'm a virgin without a social life too, but both by choice; although i respect women as my equals, i'm not very interested in being with one, nor do i like other people in general very much
if that makes me in poor company, so be it
>>
>>60502227
https://web.archive.org/web/20090820042302/http://cpp-next.com:80/archive/2009/08/want-speed-pass-by-value/
>>
>>60502664
yes because you're a rational person who doesn't get angry at all women because he's a fat ugly neckbeard who can't get pussy. unlike most of this board
>>
>>60502654
>the vertex buffer is constant and they keep changing the uniform buffer?
yes

you should upload to the vertex/index buffers as rarely as possible, preferably only once, not every frame
>>
>>60502164
Well after some browsing I'll either roll with golang+gRPC+protobuf or make my own REST api in golang.
>>
>>60502356
Look, I saw you were trying to show off the time you took reading and thinking about the Wikipedia page for continued fractions. And I applaud you; it doesn't matter (to me) how long it takes for you to understand something before you implement it, as long as you do so.
I assumed you were high-school age actually, because that was the same age I first read that page and started computations with continued fractions. That would mean you don't have a degree. It's not particularly relevant to the discussion however. I tried to signal in 6 words that I spent 3 years researching and understanding stuff before I went into industry.
I write probably the least code out of any of my coworkers, but when we're working on anything worthwhile (we looked at Project Euler 465 last week) they spend all their time puffing around dumb ideas that would become obviously terrible once they see what the code looks like.

If you're trying to be argumentative, here's an opinion for you to refute:
The best way to improve as a programmer is to write the best code you can every day. That would obviously include researching, composing, and typing it. Read what you've written previously and tear apart all the terrible choices you made.
>>
File: 1487462744907.jpg (216KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1487462744907.jpg
216KB, 1280x1280px
>>60500627
Can you give a real world example of an operator doing something unexpected that gives you the impression that they "suck"?

In your example with a function, you assume the function has a good descriptive name and arguments, so I think it's reasonable for me to assume that an operator overload is used in the same manner.

You can write garbage with a lot of language features (take templates for example), but in my eyes that doesn't necessarily mean that it's a bad feature.
>>
>>60502710
nv, you know there are no men here, only women pretending to be men.
>>
>>60502783
Ruby and Karen of course, but I'm not sure about the others
>>
>>60502800
Programming is an inherently feminine activity.
>>
>>60502710
Rational or angry, respectful of women or not, at least we can all unite over being fat ugly neckbeards who can't get pussy.
That's 4chan for you.
>>
>>60502841
>can't get pussy
Speak for yourself.
>>
>>60502892
Tell that to the person who said it to begin with
>>
>>60502627
umm.. no I mean an actualy AI to guess the locations of the ships on a 10x10 board
>>
new when
>>
New thread: >>60502997
>>
File: reading_club.gif (2MB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
reading_club.gif
2MB, 600x338px
>>60500356
In June I'll start a youtube channel on math & co.,
for the beginning, I'll try to establish some sort of reading club on the Idris programming language

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcrSMnEYhIPX_p127jI23qw
>>
>>60502957
Anon the first part was just a joke. I meant look at the strategies they use in battleship and use it in your program.

I spend 5 seconds googling and it mentions your checkerboard strategy.
>>
>>60503098
o-oh ok, thanks
>>
>>60503027
what's up with the mascot? did you steal it from 3blue1brown?
>>
>>60501011

speed readings from the OBD bus aren't good enough? just get any 9 DoF IMU, shouldn't be much more than $20-30.

good luck though, that shit is going to drift like a motherfucker. hope you got a PhD in math to do some fancy Kalman filtering and adjust the readings based on the head unit temperature and vibration.

sensor fusion is a bitch.
>>
File: Screen Shot 2017-05-16 Haskell.png (250KB, 1009x597px) Image search: [Google]
Screen Shot 2017-05-16 Haskell.png
250KB, 1009x597px
>>60503240
Kinda, though it's not my mascot. 3Blue1Brown has his animation tool online, here:
https://github.com/3b1b/manim
>>
>>60501986
node desu
>>
>>60503459
>https://github.com/3b1b/manim
interesting. what's the license, can you use it however you want?
>>
File: academia.jpg (140KB, 1200x700px) Image search: [Google]
academia.jpg
140KB, 1200x700px
>>60503577
in the readme there he says
> If you wish to use this tool and adopt the same style, by all means feel free. In fact, I encourage it. But the tricky part about anything which confers the benefit of originality is that this benefit cannot be easily shared.

now subscribe to muh channel
>>
>>60502598
>equality of the genders is a commonly accepted postulate of civil life
Which doesn't somehow make it not retarded and wrong by definition.
>>
>>60499276
public static boolean isOdd(int n){
return true?(n%2==0):false;
}
>>
>>60503027
>for the beginning, I'll try to establish some sort of reading club on the Idris programming language
What did you mean by this?
>>
>>60503701
just figured out why Eclipse said the false statement was "dead code": if n%2 !=0 it ofcourse returns false. In my defence I've drunk beer and vodka all day
>>
>>60499056
Learning how to script a runescape bot. Kind of fun and with a possible chance to turn into a passive income source.
>>
>>60503834
the return false part is dead code because you have true? which is always true
>>
File: ed-book.jpg (2MB, 1665x2162px) Image search: [Google]
ed-book.jpg
2MB, 1665x2162px
>>60503818
A book has been released and I'll go though it and more. Also announced on the mailing list here

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/idris-lang/phkZoQMa0IM
Thread posts: 345
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.