[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

solar storms

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (459KB, 940x626px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
459KB, 940x626px
About every 150 years or so a massive solar flare hits the Earth. If a massive solar flare hit the Earth it would fry every computer in the world. With time computers can be replace and society rebuilt, tho it'd be very costly. But how much data would be permanently lost? How many programs and how much source code would be lost forever?

Some propitiatory programs would have to be rebuilt without source code. In such an event where the original code is permanently lost, wouldn't that make any copyright claims invalid as there's no way to prove a copyright claim? Then if there's no copyright on old programs, anyone could recreate an old program and claim it themselves. Could Microsoft's flagship Windows OS have it's copyright stolen by somebody else in such an event? Oh BTW, we're overdue for a massive solar storm.
>>
>>60485590
You can bet Microsoft has thought of this and has some archives deep underground.
>>
>overdue for a massive solar storm
Gambler's fallacy.
>>
>>60485590
it would only really fuck up power lines, right?
>>
>>60485590
What is your basis for thinking it will destroy all computers?
The solar flares happen all the time, you can even view its effect if you go where the northern lights are visible.
>>
>>60485698
Not OP, but in the 1850s (or so) there was a solar flare so powerful that power lines (and telecom wires) were melting. It was inducing a electric current too large for telecommunication lines to handle and they heated up and melted.
>>
File: IMG_4553.png (507KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4553.png
507KB, 640x1136px
>2000 +17
>still living on a planet without radio transmission shielding
>>
But could it fry computers that aren't plugged in? I'm legitimately curious
>>
>>60485747
Yes, they'd have to be in a Faraday cage to be safe. It'd also fry any external drives you have.
>>
>>60485838
Will people with pace makers drop dead?
>>
>>60485626
Solar storms are not random so this does not apply
>>
>>60485590
>not storing your data in non-programmable ROM.
>>
File: 1428668408889.gif (1MB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
1428668408889.gif
1MB, 360x240px
>>60485911
probably
>>
>>60486443
Good
>>
>>60486452
No it's not.
>>
File: trz56rt.jpg (28KB, 475x307px) Image search: [Google]
trz56rt.jpg
28KB, 475x307px
>>60486246
>not printing out your emails
>>
>>60486479
Yes it is. Cyborgs should not be allowed to exist
>>
>>60485590
A massive solar flare like that doesn't work like a degausser.

It would induce large currents in long conductors (think power line long), probably wreaking absolute havoc on the power grid, but it wouldn't magically wipe every computer. Systems attached to a surge suppression system would probably be OK.

The real threat is the national power grid going down, which is significant. You'd need to be able to survive long enough until power services are restored, because after a day or two the nation would begin to plunge into absolute chaos... grocery stores with no food, ATM/banking down, no gasoline because the trucking network is at a standstill, water would soon shut off since the purifying plants only have so much reserve power.
>>
File: Turn-A Gundam Art Works -003.jpg (2MB, 3200x2318px) Image search: [Google]
Turn-A Gundam Art Works -003.jpg
2MB, 3200x2318px
>>60485590
>he thinks its a flare that wipes technology
>laughing Turn X
>>
>>60485590
it would destroy the modern world
>>
can't wait for it
>>
>>60486818
Pretty much this
>>
>>60485590
>I don't know how a faraday cage works.
>>
>>60486818
a solar flare that would melt every power line in its range would be just as catastrophical
>>
>>60486818
How long would it take to get back up and running approximately?

Guess it's time for me to stock up on water filters and find a remote spot near a river or something.
>>
>>60485741
Space btfo
>>
CDs wouldn't be affected by this, correct?
>>
>>60485590
>Oh BTW, we're overdue for a massive solar storm.
There was that one of comparable strength to the 1859 one that missed us in 2012. 2012-1859 is about 150 years. Wouldn't that be it? Or was that one irrelevant?
>>
>>60485838
>It'd also fry any external drives you have.
What about internal drives?
Is my anime safe?
>>
>>60489748
When the lines were melted in the 1800s, it wasn't the actual metal melting. They just got warm enough to melt off whatever low-tech stuff they used as insulators back then.
We don't use insulated power lines anymore (aside from some last-mile delivery), and all our telecom cables are fiber optic now. The threat is all the tranmission equipment (i.e. transformers, reclosers, etc) getting fried and having to replace it *all*.

>>60489861
It would probably be several weeks until some super critical portions of the grid came back up, because all those parts have to come from somewhere, and additionally you can't just turn a key and start a power plant. They take time to spool up too.

It would probably be months until commercial electricity was generally available. Preparing for it is difficult, since the masses will be trying to get out of the cities and into the countryside for resources. You have to strike a balance between enjoying the moment, and preparing for what may or may not ever come.

>>60489969
They would be unaffected.

>>60491501
Like I said earlier, solar flares introduce large currents into long wires. Unplugged hard drives will be fine.
Ya'll are confusing solar flares with EMP, which lasts for only a few microseconds but is much much stronger (and localized).
>>
>>60486514

Archer plz go
>>
>>60486818
>google will still have every little bit of data on you
ITS NOT FAIR
>>
>>60494867
They probably have a facility deep underground just constantly burning blu-rays, so that they'll literally always have their data.
>>
>>60489861

In some places, never. You have millions of adult people who simply don't understand the civilization around them or the logistical networks that feed them.
>>
>>60494988
>millions of adult people who simply don't understand the civilization around them or the logistical networks that feed them

That's one of those things that's always kind of gotten to me. I think we're a lot like ants, they don't get the whole concept of the colony, but they learn their part and how to do it. Combine that with the fact that modern humans always seem to generate a civilization, it might be in our phenotype at this point.
>>
So that's the latest scare now on top of global warming and the ozone layer and some other crap?
If it's an actual problem be constructive about ti rather than trying to spread panic at least.
>>
File: 1483138865810.gif (2MB, 320x179px) Image search: [Google]
1483138865810.gif
2MB, 320x179px
>>60486818
The people from /k/ gonna have fun when the shit drops, better start a little something for that caos
>>
>>60486818
If it works the same as an EMP it most certainly will wipe everything out including cars.
>>
>>60495172
The best that you, an individual, can do is have a place where you can go live safely for a few months until society at least gets back to it's knees.
I'm thinking something like a very small cabin, with solar panels + laptop + radio way out in the woods. Practice living there a few times before the real thing.
I'm thinking worst case is having something like roving mad max gangs, you'd want to be well hidden from them. The government would probably be distributing food pretty darn fast to keep the whole of society from collapsing.

I'm part of a mission essential military unit so I'm pretty sure I'll at least have food.

>>60495232
It works on a similar principal, but an EMP is extremely transient and more intense.

Solar flares are streams of charged particles that get ejected from the sun. Many of these happen every day, very few hit the earth, and those that do are generally weak enough that they get diverted by the earth magnetic shield.

If one was strong enough to get through the magnetic field of the earth, it would seek the path of least resistance through, or around the earth (much like lightning). We happen to have a ton of really long power-lines criss-crossing the continents, and the charged particles would probably ride on those, in the same manner that radio antennas pick up transmissions. This would induce (in much the same manner as a wireless charger) some large currents into the power grid, tripping breakers and burning out grid-level transformers.

An EMP is a electromagnetic wave, usually as a result of a nuclear detonation, that lasts only a few microseconds and induces large currents in antenna type wires too. However, EMP currents are much stronger and much shorter, so many more devices are affected and surge protection doesn't have time to kick in.

The government did tests on EMP and cars. A strong enough EMP will shut off a car, but most are fixed by either simply restarting them, or disconnecting the battery cable.
>>
File: 1492115117350.jpg (34KB, 380x500px) Image search: [Google]
1492115117350.jpg
34KB, 380x500px
>>60495388
>but most are fixed by either simply restarting them, or disconnecting the battery cable. what about newer ones, in the old days cars didnt have that much computing or complicated circuit boards and crap systems, now everithing from the start to the full functionality of the engine is electric (in some cases) or the car is just a tesla or something like that.
We could go more in-depth but i dont feel like it cuz i will use my bycicle or feet anyway
>>
>>60485965
For all we know they are
>>
>>60495502
Any auto made after the mid-80s probably has a computer in it. My 1987 Pathfinder has a computer.
I'd guess most cars made up until 2002ish would have simple enough computers that you could do that reset thing, after that you're dealing with multiple interconnected systems, with more chance for failure. I would certainly agree that some cars like Teslas are probably way more likely to be killed by EMP.

Solar flares would likely not have any effect on automobiles.

>>60495530
The sun follows cycles and has weather patterns, much like the earth.
Ham radio operators have such a thing as propagation forecasts, which estimates solar activity and impact on radio bands at certain times of year.
>>
All this bullshit and no one mentions the fact that there are groups dedicated to printing out source codes in books/leaflets for events like this.
>>
>>60485590
>> it would fry every computer in the world
oh fuck no it wouldn't
>>60485675
yes.
>>
Will it melt my 86 Toyota's ECU?

Just keep some solar panels/batteries in a faraday cage with some cheeky 5w ham radios and you will be ready for when the shit hits the fan.
>>
>>60495600
>The sun follows cycles and has weather patterns, much like the earth.

Which makes it as random as our weather, for lack of better prediction. Gamblers fallacy still applies to a system that is so random that we cannot determine the absolute probability
>>
>>60486818
>after a day or two the nation would begin to plunge into absolute chaos

May 20th, 2017
>the power went out in my entire town and I have lost all internet and cell phone service
>I was a little short on money, so I organized a gang to loot the local grocery store
>other gangs were there. but I noticed mine was stronger, so we took the grocery store by force
>we raped some of the rival gangs females to establish dominance over them

May 21st, 2017
>The police got word of our actions, and swarmed the grocery store in an attempt to apprehend us.
>Both sides took heavy casualties, but the grocery store is now controlled by the police along with some rival gangs
>we have allied with some gangs from nearby towns, and are planning to take over the police station
>So far we have accumulated several hundred rifles and a few dozen grenades. We also managed to get 2 helicopters as well as an A-10 Warthog
>We have enslaved some rival gangs children who are also manufacturing rockets and other weapons

May 22nd
>A group of about 100 cops raided our territory. Our aircraft caught them by surprise, and decimated their initial force
>They sent out their own helicopters and chased us into the mountains
>Before they could liberate our child slave labor force, we used the bombs that they slaved away making to blow up their own labor camps. We killed at least 90% of them
>We are currently hiding in the mountains, listening to the our tanks battle the local state police
>The flood of refugees away from the demolished town is providing us with a steady supply of slave labor
>>
>>60495857
kek
>>
>>60485590
>If a massive solar flare hit the Earth it would fry every computer in the world.
Wrong.
It would only fry computers at one side of the Earth. The one which would point towards the Sun when it would be hit.
>>
>>60495917
Now that would be interesting. The side that got fried would be at a major tactical disadvantage. makes me wonder if someone would use that as an opportunity to invade another country
>>
>>60495966
Emp's have been militarized already in developed nations, almost every military equipment has been kind of protected from this since
>>
>>60486818
Restoring order would be a major challenge for two reasons,
The human element is obvious, but what people don't know is that most transformers in relay stations are custom made and take up to a year to produce. Getting the infrastructure online would be a serious challenge. It could be alleviated if you switch to standardized transformers (something I don't think any country had done yet), which would enable you to keep a pile of spare parts.
>>
Human society survived long enough without this technology. In country where the civilian populace is not armed, the state would easily be able to step in use force to maintain order.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.