[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

speakers general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 7

I don't see anywhere else on this site to ask so i'll ask here.

I'm looking for a pair of floorstanding/tower speakers for a 2.0 setup for some casual music listening. Budget $600. I'm not exactly sure what i'll be listening to. My only other real requirement is they be a bit on the tall side, preferably 40"+, less depth of footprint the better. And new condition, not used or refurbished.

I've looked around online and it seems most of the budget towers that fit my criteria are no longer being sold.

I like the fluance xl7f the built in sub seems ideal for cheap casual 2.0 setup but I dunno. I'd really rather go with floorstanders over bookshelf with stands. My understanding is they should be able to pump out a lot more volume.
>>
>>60472661
>My understanding is they should be able to pump out a lot more volume.
They do, but you also might need a bigger room...
>>
>>60472661
pro tip when using speakers..

the larger the speaker and the less room they play in, the less profitable they sound.

if you want something for desktop, a yamaha hs-8 sized bookshelf speaker is the maximum you would go and even this is still slightly too large to make create a reasonable use case.

if you want speakers that fit your desires and criteria, we need more input on how, with and where
>>
>>60472694
They may be used in a variety of room sizes. I'd rather turn down loud speakers in a small room than try and crank up small speakers in a big room.
>>60472757
not for desktop, at all.
>>
>>60472871
okay. well if it were for a normal triangle setup with 2m distance per box and listener and atleast 20m2 room. floorstanders are worth it for a pure musical imaging.

when i was looking for floorstanders, i read high praises about q acoustic speaker and how much value per dollar they are.. i went with KEF LS50 though as my room is quiet small

https://www.amazon.com/Acoustics-3050-Floorstanding-Speakers-Graphite/dp/B00TSET2DU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1495151692&sr=8-3&keywords=q+acoustics
>>
>>60472958
Those are a bit overbudget and I can't seem to find much of a consensus on these things. I've read Pioneer's cheap towers are really good but I don't like how short they are or I'd just get those. The fluances I've looked at have glowing reviews everywhere, are affordable but there's some site where they measured poorly or I's just get those
>>
>>60473134
there's a review on the qacoustics on amazon which states these exact fluance speakers as muddy
>>
File: DSC02197_zps41a42277[1].jpg (257KB, 768x855px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02197_zps41a42277[1].jpg
257KB, 768x855px
OP don't get any floor standers if they aren't true three way speakers. Separate drivers for high frequencies (tweeter) mid range and bass woofers. This way you don't need a sub woofer and overall stereo quality is just amazing. pic very much related
>>
>>60473354
are there any in the sub $600 shipped to the states price range?
>>
>>60473155
well zeos recommends them and a lot of people, possibly all shills, like them.

i'm not seeing any recommendations here for a pair of <$600 tower speakers so....
>>
>>60473764
i wouldn't state zeos as a credible source when it comes to speakers.

he tries out alot of featured amazon shit which gets recommended by his viewers and backed by his patreon and he still didn't got to try out the real gems like B&W 685 S2 or dynaudio emit m30's or Kef LS50's

but when it comes to headphones, i mostly agree with him
>>
>>60473814
he may not be but i haven't seen a single credible reviewer pan these speakers. it seems only a few obscure forum posts reasoning down to a contrary objective measurement dislike them at $500 a pair.

anyway i still haven't seen a single recommendation that fits my criteria
>>
-Cabinet size and driver area are key factors concerning maximum sound output. A lot of the economical floor-standing speakers are not far removed from small bookshelves in terms of woofer area and cavity volume. Limited 5-7 inch drivers for end and such.
-There is no such thing as a speaker too big or too small for a room, besides the obvious problems of taking up space and sitting too far away from the speakers respectively.
-Zeos may as well be just another Amazon reviewer.

As for recommendations, I haven't really looked at the entry level floorstanders too much as of late. The only model that pops into mind right now is the Infinity 253, but it still could use a subwoofer, like most other other cheaper speakers.
>>
>>60473922
well you can met some criteria with companies and their sound signatures.

b&w always has detailrich fullbodied sound with focus on swiftness.

dali always tends to emphasize highs to get the last chalk squeak hearable out of all recordings while it gets a bit sloppy on the bass and is more suited for classical shit

kef tries out different things at times but have solid pricepoints available
>>
>>60473936
I looked at those infinity's as my first choice and I can't find them anymore for less than $800 pair shipped or i'd buy them immediately.
>>
>>60473998
You should probably put some more time to looking, but it won't go near 600 online without a particularly strong sale.
There's also the Elac towers, T5 and T6, as an okay alternative. Same bass issue as before.
Why the opposition to bookshelves? And the new only?
>>
File: post-79-1106931316.jpg (50KB, 711x533px) Image search: [Google]
post-79-1106931316.jpg
50KB, 711x533px
>being a basslet
>>
>>60474344
>blowing out your eardrums in an instant
>>
https://www.amazon.ca/Polk-Audio-T50-Speaker-Single/dp/B013LIN5W2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1495157463&sr=8-6&keywords=polk+audio

Should I? Will I need a sub?
>>
>>60474319
i've looked for a while i'm not really seeing any great advice. seems the ultra budget pioneers are all anyone agrees on but those are little too short for me.

the elac f5 seem really nice but also a bit short

i'm not really opposed to bookshelfs it's just that towers should put out more sound and i don't have to buy stands for them is a plus i guess.

i don't like used because tweakers, thieves and scammers. i'm not really looking to have my mind changed on these subjects.
>>
>>60474344
still a basslet bes those cant even go sub sonic
>>
>>60472661
Get a set of three way powered studio monitors. I got the fostex pm 6.4.1, but I'm not sure if they still make those.
>>
>>60474566
>towers should put out more sound
That's the thing. They. Don't.

You could just prop up the speakers with a small base to lift up the tweeter level.
>>
>>60474659
ok then i just flat out don't want bookshelf speakers, for no reason. floor speakers serve no purpose but i would rather have them.
>>
>>60473764
zeos is deaf as fuck
>>
a stupid question, is there a specific reason to get two tower speakers instead of just one? now hear me out. i was at a party once where all the music was played through a single tower speaker. it completely destroyed the whole house, sounded good and was loud as fuck. what am i missing here?
>>
>>60474862
not necessarily deaf but he can't have enlightenment in every product category he lays his hands on
>>
>>60474862
well audioholics rated those fluance 5/5 in value and 4/5 in performance. i'd say they're pretty good speakers. nothing is perfect for $500/pair of towers
>>
>>60474884
no go ahead with your single tower solution..

maybe get a PA speaker rightaway from JBL, here are your choices

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/Tour-Sound/

just stack as much as your wallet seems fit
>>
Do you live where there's an hhgregg? They're going out of business and selling $350 klipsch floor standers for $200/ea. Great deal.
>>
>>60474918
can you explain to me how this worked? i mean their setup was literally just one tower speaker + a cheap receiver. do you just connect the one speaker to one or the left/right/center/surround channels, which one? will it matter or is there a receiver meant for 1.0 speaker setups?
>>
>>60475102
Receivers usually have a party mode where it will send all channels to all speakers.
>>
File: hifi.jpg (165KB, 1402x931px) Image search: [Google]
hifi.jpg
165KB, 1402x931px
>>60475196
>>60475102
recivers suck its all about 2 channel
>>
so for my 1 speaker setup i have a few choices for consideration. so far, they are

svs prime
chane a5rxc
klipsch rp-250f
infinity r253

which one would be best for my setup?
i guess now's a good time to ask about a good budget receiver

>>60475697
no doubt bookshelf is superior for desktops
>>
Honestly I won't buy any speakers other than Monitor Audios. They're pretty much the perfect sounding speaker to me. A little pricey but worth it. Plus they look nice as fuck.
>>
>>60476144
the ma bronze 5 are in my price range. seems like some places are selling bronze 6 within my price range. are these any good?
>>
So I have a 2.1 setup

A Pioneer SX-316 driving a pair of Elac B5's and the sub that came with the 316

What are my options if i want a smaller reciever? I don't need a lot. No need for 5.1 right now, Just need PC Input (SPDIF preferable but my sound card is nice so i'm okay with RCA) and Optionally Multiple Inputs (one for my turntable at least) but i'm not retarded i can find a shitty RCA switcher for nothing
>>
Anyone else in the M10 Swans master race?
>>
My brother bought two adam a7x for +2000 CAD$. He listen trap, what a retard...
>>
>>60476335
At least for that much he can't afford to get any of the drugs they talk about in trap
>>
>>60476342
I said this overpriced shit have no bass, but he bought it for his '''studio''' on FL. What a waste.
>>
>>60476380
Why is it a waste if he's using them when producing?
>>
>>60476412
Yes in a room in the basement but the lsr305/308 are cheaper and have much more bass extension for is kind of music
>>
>>60476077
you don't need floorstanders the subwoffer makes up all the bass
>>
>>60477234
i think 1 good tower sounds better
>>
Get a pair of Yamaha NS-777's - they should come in roughly in your budget. They are incredibly good for the price you pay - easily worth 3x as much. I have a pair with an A-S500 amp.
>>
>>60472661
Maybe you should be looking at some Dali Towers.
>>
>>60472661
>and new condition, not used
>I like the fluance
>cheap casual 2.0
>the lsr305/308 have much more bass extension
>maybe get a PA speaker rightaway from JBL
>recivers suck its all about 2 channel
>46 replies / 18 posters

this thread is cancer
go fuck yourselves you dumb retarded pajeets
>>
>>60478651
/g/ is 90% people that only care about headphones and have no single clue about speakers and acoustics
so it's all about spreading misinformation and straight up shitposting in these threads
>>
>>60472871
>I'd rather turn down loud speakers in a small room than try and crank up small speakers in a big room.
It's not so much about volume (as in loudness), but about volume as in bass sound and sounding shitty in small rooms.
Also, floor speakers don't necessarily deliver higher (loudness) volumes.
>>
>>60473936
>There is no such thing as a speaker too big or too small for a room, besides the obvious problems of taking up space and sitting too far away from the speakers respectively.
>There is no such things as a speaker too big or too small for a room, besides physical limitations.
>>
is a 3x3 meter room too small for yamaha hs8?
>>
>>60477477
tried both prefer bookshelf and sub
>>
>>60479768
just shelf down the bass if you need to set them up near walls

>>60479676
room modes and reflections don't give a fuck about how big your speakers are, the room reacts to it the same way.
of course a speaker that can play lower will eventually excite modes that would be rolled of with smaller speakers, but even mediocre bookshelf speakers will absolutely reach into the sub 50Hz range that's very hard to control, so the difference is absolutely negleglibe and placement and acoustic treatment should be more of your concern than some made up room size limitations
>>
>>60472661

dont go there you are paying fo alot of woodwork and dicked up analogue crossovers

just get some active bookshelfs and an active sub and lear how to time and frequency domain

been at this game for 20 years - burned alot of money you will thank me
>>
>>60480024
>room modes and reflections don't give a fuck about how big your speakers are, the room reacts to it the same way.
see >>60479711
>>
>>60480024
whoops, i meant 4x4 or so. Reckon sound foam in the corners or something is a good idea for reverb and stuff? I think it happens at C0 or C1 dominantly
>>
Has anyone here ever tried the Tannoy Reveal 502?
>>
>>60480108
no, polyurethane foam in a thickness of only a couple of inches is completely useless at absorbing anything but the highest frequencies
you can build corner traps out of rockwool, melamine foam or build tuned membrane traps if you already detected a specific frequency range, these are the most effective then
lot's of diy instructions on the web
>>
>>60480196
oh sweet thatnks, i was looking at 12 inch corner bass traps but there so inanely expensive.
>>
>>60480701
Broadband traps tend to not work on the low end.. Normally, absorbent traps need to be at least a quarter the depth of the wavelength you want to absorb. A simple theory of absorption can be overly optimistic. In any case, you would need a gigantic corner trap to do lower frequencies.

The alternative is a resonator style trap, of which there are several varieties. In general, they have a strong absorption characteristic closely focused around a range of frequencies, more suited to counteracting bass modes. These are usually too expensive not to DIY.

Simple panel absorbers should go at the early reflection points, on the ceilings, rear wall, and sides if you can.
>>
>>60480052
>>60479711
What are you trying to say?
>>
File: IMG_20170519_151125457.jpg (2MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170519_151125457.jpg
2MB, 1836x3264px
Hey folks,
I've been going round town looking for secondhand speakers. So far I found this:

Sony - 7.50
JVC SP E35 - 5.00
Panasonic SB HW 150 surround "2.1" one big four small - 10.00
Philips - 12.50
Pioneer 5X7A - 6.00
JVC - 15.00
Celestion C - 20.00

I was thinking of getting the JVC SP E35 or the panasonic set of 5

Any comments on this?
Is there one set that is obviously better than the others, or worse?
>>
>>60481958
celestion of course
>>
>>60481763
Those are real problems.
t. former owner of big bookshelf speakers with not enough room at some point
>>
Please recommend me a good couple of monitor speakers for my bedroom (see pic). Budget is around 300-400€. JBL lsr305 are highly recommended, but they have rear bass reflex and I can't put them too far away from the walls.
Thanks in advance.
>>
Looking to buy Marantz studio scope 4 but can't find any review so what do you think are they any good worth the money???
>>
File: 20170519_091325.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170519_091325.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>60483536
Forgot image
>>
>>60480049
but what if i only have a place to put two speakers, no sub and nothing else. only for music listening, nothing else.

would a pair of towers be better or bookshelfs?
>>
>>60478651
could you give me a proper speaker recommendation then?
>>60479676
i've never ever heard a 2.0 bookshelf setup that thumps as hard or fills the room as much as even a single good tower speaker. given that i'm not getting a sub, wouldn't tower be a better choice?
>>
>>60482168
Because they're actually a decent brand or because those happened to be to most expensive?
I mean, our of all the brands, Celestion is the only one I've never heard about.
>>
>>60484066
Only a few inches/10cm of space are needed, not that it seems you have much to spare.
Would something like the Behringer 2030 be too large?
>>
>>60484332
>i've never ever heard a 2.0 bookshelf setup that thumps as hard or fills the room as much as even a single good tower speaker. given that i'm not getting a sub, wouldn't tower be a better choice?
Towers are minimally better at volumes, because they usually come with bigger/more drivers == more membrane surface == deeper frequencies can be created easier.
However, it doesn't scale that great and also depends how much db/wm2 your speaker and the audiocrossover allows. At the end of the day, if you want high volumes, buy P.A. speakers.
>>
>>60484954
Judging by the pictures, those Behringers are wider than JBL lsr305 or Tannoy, then I presume that they might be too big.
>>
>>60484973
What I want is to not be sitting in front of the speaker and the best possible lows without using a sub. I don't see how there's any other answer to this than a tower speaker setup.

Again, my use is not home theatre, is not desktop or seated even and is 2.0 only, no sub. Budget $600 total

Do you have any tower or bookshelf recommendation that fits this criteria? Not getting a pa system.
>>
>>60485314
>Do you have any tower or bookshelf recommendation that fits this criteria? Not getting a pa system.
Nope, sorry, haven't shopped speakers for ages.
>>
>>60485314
>>60485740
I should add I specifically don't want subwoofer tier bass, just more bass outta the woofer which is where I think a tower is the best compromise.
>>
>>60486737
Depends on the volume (and construction type, but these days, home speakers are almost always bass reflex speakers). It doesn't seem to be a common thing these days but there are big 3-way shelf speakers and a two-way with a 8" woofer can be quite nice as well.
>>
>>60486737
>>60486795
Anyway, whatever you decide to buy - and your options depend on where you live - you should test them if the size and distance to listener fit.
>>
Not a single good pair of speakers ITT. Sad.
>>
>>60486795
>there are big 3-way shelf speakers
But why would I get that over a tower and which ones are you referring to and at what price point? I'd also need to buy stands then.
>>
>>60487054
>But why would I get that over a tower
> I'd also need to buy stands then.
You probably wouldn't.
>and which ones are you referring to and at what price point?
Since most are monitors these days, it's probably above 600 shekels.

Look, I can't help you there, you probably know your local market better than I do.
>>
>>60487091
I'd need to buy stands because there's no where to put the speakers but the floor. The setup is literally going to be a 2.0 + receiver for music listening only. I want the best bass I can get out of a 2.0 but specifically do not want a sub. This pretty much means tower. What's the best pair of tower speakers I can get for under $600 for a 2.0 non desktop music listening only setup? You don't know but that's what I'm looking for. I'd prefer a taller tower that's closer to ear level when standing. I think I might just get those cheap pioneers even tho they're a bit shorter sized just because they're so cheap and recommended.
>>
>>60482709
>real problems
Which went against nothing what was said.
>>
>>60486945
>good
What's your idea of good?

Please don't...

-list price points
-list brands
-list driver technologies
-list cabinet types

Please do...

List models and explain why and how they are good performance wise.

Thank you for understanding.
>>
Here's a few simple truths.
1. Anything short of a humongous cabinet volume benefits from a subwoofer.
2. most subs are inadequate because people want small cabinet sizes. All the popular ones are too small for the job.
3. With a $600 price point, you're not going to get outstanding speakers. That's really an average normie price point.

That being said, I recommend you get a nice pair of towers and add a sub later. The d'Apolito design is one of the most solid bits of engineering you will find at your price point.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018QNYPI/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_3_w
>>
buuuuuuuuuuuuump
>>
>>60488617
I like Microlab.
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.