[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did this never catch on widely?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: Plan9OS.jpg (7KB, 190x222px) Image search: [Google]
Plan9OS.jpg
7KB, 190x222px
>>
it cant do anything special that gnu/linux cant right? same reason bsd isnt really catching on for desktop
>>
>>60467818
nobody will ever use bsd for desktop other than some 25 people, dwal with it (You)
>>
>>60467943
It can do a lot of things Linux (Or Linux-GNU) can't do. On concept level, GNU and Linux are stuck in the 80s
>>60467818
BSD was just good enough.
>>
>>60468127
Like hwat exactly?
>>
>>60468157
iirc it has all sorts of neat abilities like the ability to mount and use another machine's hardware over the network
>>
>>60467818
Yet another Unix copy, doesn't matter if the only way to make it a desktop is to port over the clusterfuck that is the Linux desktop.
>>
>>60468500
It's not a copy, it's the successor. At least it was intended to be.
>>
>>60467818
Lack of applications. The foundation is good. I gave it a spin, the mouse handling takes a little to get used to but no big problem.

If you want to try mow you might want to go for 9front which is in continuous development. Plan9 is ended.
>>
>>60468157
Private namespaces, for example.
Here you go
https://lsub.org/who/nemo/9.intro.pdf
>>
>>60467818
Because UNIX was already perfect in every way.
>>
Because it was an experiment.
>>
>>60468529
Doesn't matter if you need to put the same software on it as Linux to make a desktop.
>>
>>60471543
Nobody cared the first time, why are you posting again?
>>
>>60471543
what do you mean with desktop?

Plan 9 ships with rio (wm), web browser by deafault.
>>
>>60467818

Because UNIX was too good and apps of the time couldn't really use the extra cool stuff.
>>
>>60467818

reminder that john carmack wanted to make a real windows manager for plan9 but got sidetracked with quake
>>
>>60471946
What do you mean by ``real''?
Rio is pretty cool
>>
>>60467818
It was a successor of a real piece of shit.
People got fed up with the old piece of shit (UNIX) and don't want a paint-coated new version for tremendous efforts.
>>
It needs some work before anyone will consider adopting it.
A web browser with javascript would be a start.

>>60472302
Tell me something better.
>>
>>60472516
>Tell me something better.
Literally everything else.
>>
>>60472027
>I spent a few months running Plan9. It has an achingly elegent internal structure, but a user interface that has been asleep for the past decade. I had an older version of quake dedicated server running on it (don't ask me for it -- I lost it somewhere) and I was writing a civilized window manager for it in my spare time, but my spare time turned out to be only a couple hours a month, and it just got prioritized out of existance.

I like rio a lot too but it is too different from what most people are used to
>>
Imagine the security nightmare it would be. Some nice ideas though.
>>
>>60474405
Why?
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.