[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a better device than pic related? Have we hit the pinnacle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 13

Is there a better device than pic related? Have we hit the pinnacle of technology?
>>
While I do enjoy my surface it still has a lot of issues.

One of my biggest gripes is that when drawing, if I move the pen too close to the sides of the screen Windows will assume I'll either want:

The action centre, which shoves everything out of the way and takes priority
OR:
I want to switch apps, throwing another window up in my face without asking.

There's no way to turn this off either which is infuriating because for a device meant for drawing/writing on they certainly make it way too difficult to do so.

At least you don't need to charge the pen looking like a fucking retard.
>>
>>60464636
The keyboards on them suck. I'm used to laptop keyboards but this thing is a whole new level of awful.
>>
File: 1469632099252.png (167KB, 256x384px) Image search: [Google]
1469632099252.png
167KB, 256x384px
>>
Nope this is as good as it gets for portable computers. It's lightweight and has a ~40Wh battery.

I want to get one but decided to wait for the SP5 in hopes that microshaft will fix or improve the problems >>60464689 talked about and hopefully stop using intel trash and use a raven ridge APU from AMD instead.

>>60464724
True but there are better third party BT ones available you can use.
>>
>>60464784
MS's new Surface pen actually works pretty well. I like the whole swapping pen nib thing.
>>
lol sat beside a guy in college this semester who had a Surface. Seemed like he got the BSOD every other day.
>>
>pinnacle of technology
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>60464821
That this is the best consumer device for non-autistic people or people who have mild autism.
>>
File: pen-hero1.jpg (55KB, 850x478px) Image search: [Google]
pen-hero1.jpg
55KB, 850x478px
>>60464813
I didn't even know that was a thing. Neat.
>>
>>60464820
lol xd !!!11
>>
File: 3LuOCo3.jpg (507KB, 1024x914px) Image search: [Google]
3LuOCo3.jpg
507KB, 1024x914px
>>60464820

Something must've been wrong with it.

Half my class in animation had them because we could draw on them, our main complaint was that occasionally the power button would refuse to respond.
>>
>>60464871

I like using the 2H and B nibs but my main complaint about the nibs is that the removal tool (the little hook on the other side of the nib case) has a hard time actually grasping the nib without potentially damaging it.
>>
>>60464871
Oh so you were a microshit shill. Neat.
>>
I wish the keyboard wasn't fabric.

I wash mine off on the regular (damp cloth + drop of dish soap) but my friend who has an orange one has never cleaned it.

Her surface cover has an actual black handprint from where she rests it when using the touchpad, it's disgusting looking.
>>
>>60464923
Not at all, I like the hardware but not the OS. Though I'd honestly put up with windows 10 just for the based portable computing experience desu.
>>
File: 20170331_142851.jpg (4MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
20170331_142851.jpg
4MB, 4128x3096px
The desktop is the ideal form factor when paired with at least a $100 phone that is fast enough to comfortably type and browse on.
>>
>laptop
>design makes it near impossible to use in your lap
WELP
>>
>>60464977

It's not a laptop, it's a tablet.

If you want a laptop then get a fucking surface book.
>>
>>60465013
>tablet
>kickstand
WELP
>>
>>60464976
>the radiator is on the intake
>>
>>60464977
Whoever calls it that is fucking retarded. It's a tablet PC and are you saying you're too weak to hold a 800 gram device tilted on your lap?
>>
>>60464972
here's your (you) :^)
>>
>>60465013
A simple little kabylake u series laptop with a 1080p panel, 256GB ssd, and 4 to 8 gigs of RAM can be had for $500. Throw the other $1000 you would have spent on a surfacrbook on monitors and a r5 1600+580
>>
>>60464636
Microsoft itself abandoned the form factor with the newest Surface being a clamshell laptop.
>>
>>60465053
Find me something better than a surface pro 4 tablet pc then.
>>
>>60464636
I got the Surface 3 with the Atom CPU. It's a really good netbook that I can also draw on.
Charges via microusb so I can use power banks with it.

I actually prefer the pen on this because the cursor is always exactly under the tip, with some tweaking, I got the pressure curve just the way I liked it.
>>
File: 1491865705119.jpg (887KB, 789x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1491865705119.jpg
887KB, 789x2000px
>>60465065
Mbp 2015 + cheapo graphic tablet
>>
File: 20170513_134312.jpg (4MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
20170513_134312.jpg
4MB, 4128x3096px
>>60465045
Sure is. I know its hard to think when you're bad at it bit hot air goes up. So there is 360mm worth of fan intake up front and a 120 intake in the back with two 120s exhausting up top. Results in great temps with a 980ti at 1550MHz and a 6600k at 4.8
>>
>>60465092
>>>/fa/
>>>/lgbt/
>>
>>60465036

So the tablet has a built in stand, that doesn't stop it from being a tablet.
>>
>He doesn't know about augmented reality

Picture this.

>Anon sitting alone with his glasses just watching the world go by sipping a coffee
>Cutie walks by and smiles in his direction
>Glasses pick up her identity via facial recognition and displays her facespace
>Anon smiles back as he browses her public facespace, sees she's in a "It's complicated" relationship, has two cats named Milo and Otis and lives ten miles away
>Anon digs a little deeper, finds old pictures with markers up her ass being spitroasted at a college party
>Anon loses interest and closes facespace then opens up a terminal
>He starts punching in letters on his phone and logs in to the municipal security station
>Soon he's viewing every camera emitting a signal in a two mile radius sipping coffee

Anon is now going to school.

>Teacher starts lecturing and anon pulls his phone out puts his glasses on, and hits record
>Text to speech starts displaying the teachers lecture flawlessly
>As the lecture continues, emphasis on certain words begins appearing so anon touches the word on his phone
>A search page launches, information begins pouring in about this specific point in the lecture
>Class is over anon is back at his room studying replaying the lecture and going through key words.

Altered reality will be the pinnacle.
>>
>>60465100
I fail to see a counter-argument :^)
>>
>>60465092

The problem with graphics tablets is that you start losing your actual artistic abilities unless you remember to also draw on just paper as well.

I know a lot of people who switched to wacoms and similar only to see them draw on paper and complain about how terrible they are at it now.

The surface (and other devices like it) negate this.
>>
>>60465157
Basically, I'm not a fag like you. I used to have a macbook and it was fucking shit. Constantly throttled to 800MHz when doing very simple things like opening youtube videos.

Literally had to bootcamp windows 7 on it to get basic usability on it.
>>
File: You_stop_that.jpg (108KB, 499x368px) Image search: [Google]
You_stop_that.jpg
108KB, 499x368px
>>60465121
>>
>>60465121
Thanks anon. I need a visionary post like this.
>>
>>60465059
They also abandoned mouse and keyboard with Xbox and abandoned touch screen with Hololens
>>
>>60465121
Its like we have this existential need to replace our brains while we're still in our skins.
>>
>>60465780
That is quite literally the logical endgame of the tool using branch of evolutionary strategies
>>
>>60464636
I like mine but the battery life is kinda bad.
>>
>>60468214

What version?

My SP4's battery lasts about 5-6 hours if I'm just browsing the 'net using firefox. Chrome kills my battery. Photoshop destroys it.

Telegram's pretty bad at battery draining as well.
>>
Surface sucks. The high DPI is an absolute mess for so many programs that won't scale correctly, and are only usable by ants. That keyboard is garbage too. What you're left with is a stupidly overpowered tablet, where you can do very little serious productive work on, and are essentially locked into W10 and the proprietary apps for the tablet if you want the "real" experience.

I used one for a few weeks and went right back to the X220 Tablet, which does everything the Surface wants to do, but better.
>>
>>60468263

>locked into proprietary apps
???
>locked into W10
??????

you can put linux on them.
>>
>>60468357
>spending that much money on a laptop just to put Linux on it

For what purpose
>>
>>60468392

To run Linux? What point are you trying to make?
>>
>>60468392

The surface, as in the tablet one, is meant to be utilized as a note-taking and drawing device. Whether or not it actually achieves this is not the point you were trying to make in your post.

The DPI scaling issue has been solved for well over a year now, too. Only ancient programs from well over a decade ago sometimes have issues. Now if you want to talk about legitimate issues such as problems with the UI and how the pen interacts with it then sure.

Also I would hardly call an i5 "stupidly overpowered", sure, you can get the i7 version but that's meant for people who are using it primarily as a creativity device and need some extra oomf for things like photoshop, streaming, video editing/recording and the like.

/g/, however, can't get over the fact that it's a tablet that has a keyboard as an accessory. /g/ can't actively rest the tablet on their massive guts so it's immediately dismissed as useless.

If you want to use it for anything other than taking notes, drawing, or basic computing tasks then it isn't the device for you. If you want to use a Microsoft-made device then I suggest you look into the Surface Book or that retarded one that's coming out with 10s.

But your complaints that "things don't scale correctly" hasn't been a problem since 8.1 on the SP3.
>>
>>60468482
Linux runs like utter shit on Surfaces, so buying one at its cost to remove an OS built around it to experiment is pretty fucking dumb.
>>
>>60469962

why not say that in the first place then instead of meming?
>>
File: 1466030740753.png (441KB, 1600x1548px) Image search: [Google]
1466030740753.png
441KB, 1600x1548px
>>60469962
>Linux runs like utter shit on Surfaces
>>
>>60468263
what apps
there is nothing available for it
nobody produces apps for microsoft
buying a surface is like buying a betamax

yet another paid advert thread
>>
>>60470891
The preinstalled bloat, the casual experience with Microsoft they expect you to have with it when they began marketing it. Edge as your browser, their RSS reader, etc. You can substitute these things, but lose the fluidity of the native apps.
>>
>>60464896
Just gently pull on the tip with your front teeth, comes out easily.
>>
>>60471786

The B nib is kinda soft though, if it slips it sorta deforms the tip. It goes back to normal if you gently press down on it again but it still always freaks me out.
>>
Just bought an iPad pro. Took me all of 30 minutes to get a full office suite, all my textbooks, an x11 capable ssh app, and import all my android stuff. I have all the functionality of Unix and ios without having to touch winshit.
>>
>>60472246

>functionality of Unix

There's nothing unix-like about iOS you fucking retard.
>>
>>60472264
>expecting iToddlers to not be mentally handicapped
That's pretty ableist desu.
>>
>>60472264
When I can run all my shit off the server through ssh then I can do whatever the fuck I want, retard.
>>
File: garchomp.png (75KB, 500x285px) Image search: [Google]
garchomp.png
75KB, 500x285px
>>60472424

That's still not even fucking remotely unix-like.

You're not helping your arguement here, you're actually just making it worse the more you write.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.