[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Desktop PSU

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: HX650_PSU_sideview_cable.png (420KB, 750x556px) Image search: [Google]
HX650_PSU_sideview_cable.png
420KB, 750x556px
How much power is really required for a gaming rig? I currently have a ~1000W PSU, and I bought it years ago with the expectation that I would upgrade down the road and eventually need that kind of power. But so far I've never even approached the limits of it. I typically leave my computer on 24/7, with a sleep mode after 2 hours. Is a 1000W PSU going to pull more amps at idle, and be less efficient overall than say a 650W unit? I know my computer is probably 5-10% of my power bill, and I'm just looking to reduce that cost. And yes, I know turning it off when I'm not using it, or having it go to sleep sooner would save more power. Do you think a 650W unit would supply enough power for a powerful single card, fairly high end desktop used roughly half for media and half for gaming? What PSU's are you guys running, and what is good these days. I haven't bought one since my current one, which was about 5-6 years ago (old school PC Power and Cooling).

Also, any more tricks for reducing power usage?
>>
What do you even have in that thing? 500w is enough for most gaming pcs.
>>
Power supplies peak efficiency is around 50% load m boy
>>
Oh, forgot to include a parts list, sorry

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2
AMD 8350 overclocked to 4.6ghz
16GB ram (forget brand)
7870 GPU with slight overclock
2x 1TB WD Blacks
1x 250GB SSD
shit ton of high flow fans for air cooling

I plan to soon upgrade GPU to something that will run 4K for a new 40" 4K
>>
>>60460400
> Is a 1000W PSU going to pull more amps at idle, and be less efficient overall than say a 650W unit?
If you got a higher tier 80plus rated PSU, then not really. It might even have marginally better power efficiency around 50% load, because it needs to for the rating.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus

But that doesn't mean it will be very different at 100% load. But that's only the high ratings.

> Do you think a 650W unit would supply enough power for a powerful single card, fairly high end desktop used roughly half for media and half for gaming?
Very likely. There are also power supply calculators on the internets.

> What PSU's are you guys running, and what is good these days.
Me? Corsair. But BQT, Seasonic and so on are just fine too. Actually it's hard to get a really bad PSU on the higher end...
>>
File: get_out.png (35KB, 353x234px) Image search: [Google]
get_out.png
35KB, 353x234px
>>60460400

Add up the TDP of your devices, tardmo. Most likely you're being a total retard and getting shit-tier efficiency from your PSU even if you run a top of the line Intel Xeon, GTX 1080 Ti, and an array of 10 HDDs.

If you're using maybe half your available PSU wattage at peak, you're probably getting like 60% efficiency out of the thing. You don't even want to know what you're getting at like idle.
>>
Yeah, I know I'm a tard. According to online calculators, I'm at around 475-500W under load, and I'm recommended a ~600W PSU... So I'm only almost double what I should need.....
>>
>>60460575
>If you're using maybe half your available PSU wattage at peak, you're probably getting like 60% efficiency out of the thing.
If he has a 80plus rated PSU, then no. It'll have to be *at least* 80% even for bronze. 90 or 92% for 90plus gold on depending if you're on burger or yuropoor power voltage..
>>
>>60460454
True but for the money you would be better off buying a 600w platinum PSU would be more efficient as well.
>>
>>60460647
Its an old unit, but yes it is still an 80Plus rated one. It's actually labeled 860W, but according to testing, they are actually underrated and output more like 950-975W.
>>
>>60460665
So you're maybe not going to easily gain more than maybe 15% efficiency at full load.

With most usage patterns and electricity prices, this might not be very financially attractive to replace.
>>
>>60460694
True. But don't PSU's typically become less efficient as they age, caps and whatnot. Or is that more of a failure point, and not really a slow loss of efficiency over time? This thing is at least 5 or 6 years old, maybe 7. And it's had a tough life...
>>
I usually go for 750W for better efficiency
>>
>>60460725
Not much.

I say unless there's some important reason, let the old PSU die (or show signs of srs wear like dieing fans and whining caps or whatever) first and replace it then. With most cases it's not a huge bother anyhow.
>>
>>60460400
Get a 650 W Seasonic Prime Gold. It will fit for most cases, including a Ryzen / Octacore build with a 1080 Ti and OC.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (553KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
553KB, 1024x768px
>>60460400
>>
>>60460400
>put your shit in pcpartpicker
>it tells you how many wats you need

Simple shit.
>>
>>60460400
What kind of games could you possibly be running to need all that? You're competing with your kitchen appliances here.
>>
>>60460400
>/g/ is NOT your personal tech support team or personal consumer review site.

Sage
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.