[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which linux distro?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7

File: 120gto5.jpg (30KB, 613x421px) Image search: [Google]
120gto5.jpg
30KB, 613x421px
So today is the day I finally make the switch to Linux, but the problem is I don't know what Linux distro to go with. I'm looking for a semi user-friendly(I'm willing to have to learn) distro that would be good for school work but also occasional coding practice aswell. Should I just settle with Ubuntu or do you think I should try something else? Also I kind of want to rice my desktop so maybe something with a slim ui kind of like the Apple OS X?
>>
>>60454218
Apple os bueno. Good
Linux very complicated. Complicado
>>
why even ask?
you know what we're going to say.
>>
>>60454218
Linux Mint
just verify the hash and ur gucci
>>
>>60454224
last dude I asked told me to try arch as my first linux distro so who knows
>>
Gentoo. It's perfect with just a little bit of learning
>>
File: Rotating Gentoo.webm (2MB, 720x576px) Image search: [Google]
Rotating Gentoo.webm
2MB, 720x576px
Install GNU/Gentoo
>>
>>60454270
not that guy, but it's another distro we say and if you don't know it you might need to lurk more

but anyways real talk, I'd go with Fedora or Ubuntu. Both have a lot of support from third parties, and lot of widespread usage. Fedora is supported by Red Hat whose target consumers are corporations with their regular products, so it's a pretty tight distro. You can rice on anything by the way, most distros don't break if you need to use a different DE or WM though I'd tell you don't be a nigger and spend your time programming instead of ricing.
>>
>>60454278
>>60454451
this
>>
>>60454218
Ubuntu gnome
Ubuntu kde if you want an interface more like windows.
>>
>>60454218
All the distros are the same
>>
>>60454218
Distribution aren't really that important, they're just different ways of handling packages.

If you want a mac OS feel out of the box, and you feel like this is very very important, then you should use ElementaryOS. Easy + feel.

However I can't really reccomend that one because I never tried it, I only know about the mac feel because, well, screenshots.
Instead, I suggest Ubuntu. It can be very userfriendly, and at the same time powerful. It's perfect for school work, it's perfect for fucking around, and it's perfect for professional coding (that's what they use at google, they even have a partenership with Canonical) therefore it's gonna work just fine for occasional coding practice.
If you go the Ubuntu route, I have a feeling you'll like Gnome (I'm a KDE guy myself, you know, habits) which already has a kind of mac feel, and with ricing you can make it like macOS as well as pretty much anything else.
In fact, if I remember correctly, Elementary Os uses Pantheon, which is based on Gnome, but I may be wrong.

Whatever you pick just remember this:
A computer is a tool, you slap a system in there and you get to work. Don't do distro hopping.
>>
Linux Mint
>>
>>60454218
from the sticky: https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
Ubuntu or Linux mint are good choices. Don't fall for the Arch or Gentoo meme as a first distro.
>>
>>60454218
If you are willing to learn and want to rice i sudgest you start with a distro that comes with the bare minimum (no DE or anything like that)
Some examples are:
Gentoo if you want to learn a lot (hard mode)
Debian netinstall if you want a stable distro and not so hard
Arch if you want rolling release and (easy mode)
If you want the Just Works tm and learn and rice later go with the buntos
>>
I used plain Ubuntu and later ubuntu gnome in college. I'm still using gnome and I have some issues with software but in terms of regular student work, it has everything you need
Your school likely has tech resources if you need a more powerful computer, in case you are animating or seomthing
>>
Manjaro is pretty comfy
>>
>>60454218
Apple Macbook doesn't have this problem
>>
>>60454218
Apple Macbook doesn't have this feature
>>
>>60454218
Any as long as you leave / , /tmp, /var and /home on the same partition or give those partitions a reasonable amount of space.
>>
>>60454218
Do you like games? Install Funtoo!

It's built on top of Gentoo, but it has amazing support for games, perhaps the best in the GNU/Linux world, hence the name "Fun"too.

It's also VERY user-friendly to install and use, they made it so even retards can do it. Go for it. Just wipe your fucking drive and install it.
>>
Come join us
>>
>>60456439
that's not gentoo. fuck off
>>
>>60455116
>buggier version of Arch
>wifi randomly shitting the bed
don't shill that garbage here.
>>
>>60454222
Mama mia
>>
xubuntu - feels like windows if customized right, almost never touch the command line
ubuntu - the staple. good intro to the terminal
elementary - feels like mac os
mint - simple, almost never touch the command line
>>
>>60454218
Gentoo or Funtoo
>>
Antergos then Mint if you struggle with that. Arch if you don't
>>
>>60454218
sauce?

Also just go with Ubuntu and get actual work done, if you want to try out other distro just use virtualbox or liveboot if you like it, then install.
>>
>>60454218
openSUSE is great out of the box and has a fantastic graphical config tool. Its repos aren't as impressive as other distros, but the OBS brings it past most.
>>
>>60456361
impressive
>>
fedora for just works out of box experience
arch, gentoo, or bsd for rice
>>
Try Ubuntu or OpenSuse Leap
>>
>>60454663
> an eggzecutive?
>>
>>60454218
Slackware.
>>
Try Solus OS if want something that is easy to use, fast and gets frequent updates.

Try Arch or Gentoo if you want to learn about shit and waste your life.

Stick with Ubuntu or Mint if you are a normie.

Use OpenSUSE or Fedora if you are a normie but don't want others to think you're a normie.

Use any version of Debian if you are both using Linux and not autistic.

Don't use Slackware.
>>
>>60454222
*muy complicado
>>
>>60454270
>arch
let me demistify that 4you
>inshort
+ vanilla packages (for the most part)
+ released hours, days or maybe a week after upstream
+ pacman
+ sane dependancies
+ easy to switch WMs and DEs
+ lots of modules by default
- lots of modules by default
- (some) members of the team are assholes
one other myth is that it's "light" or "minimal" but the same applies to ubunut's netinstall (which may even use 2x less ram)
if you want "light" install gentoo
>>
memes aside arch and gentoo are impossible with no experience
>>
>>60459439
You're wrong.
>>
>>60454218
Just go with a *buntu variant. You really can't go wrong. Between the repos, support and compatibility, it's an obvious choice. From there, look at what environment you'd like. Xubuntu is an excellent choice for most.
>>
>>60456356
I just have a separate partition for /home and some for swap (not that I ever use it).
>>
>>60454222
te es una windows cabron
>>
File: Cover.jpg (86KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
86KB, 600x600px
>>60454218
ARCH = UNSTABLE TRASH
DEBIAN/UBUNTU/FEDORA = OLD PACKAGES
SABAYON = CHRIST LIKE
OPENSUSE TUMBLEWEED = GOD BORN

Tumbleweed is legit amazing. Rolling rpm distro is heavenly stable with newer packages then Arch.
>>
>>60460372
>then
Post invalidated. Move along folks.
>>
MacOS because you're obviously hungry for cocks
>>
You can switch pretty much everything visual on any distro, so choose a distro based on other factors. If you don't want a bunch of things installed out of the box, maybe use something like Void GNU/Linux. One of the main things I always look for is that it has pretty new packages and is rolling release, as I've been done dirty by the debian-based distros when it comes to the big upgrades. Lots of breakage. Rolling release usually goes much better for me.
>>
>>60456495
This. If you don't want to install Arch the normal way, use Arch Anywhere.
>>
>>60460316
Seconding this. Makes distro-hopping easier if necessary. Give / at least 30GB. A lot of people say 10GB, and even 20GB kept giving me issues after just under two years.
>>
>>60458784
>Try Arch or Gentoo if you want to learn about shit and waste your life.
time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time
>>
>>60459439
not true at all, I've put arch on the computers of several inexperienced people. once you've got the install done with and a basic wm like i3 installed, it's not hard to figure shit out. get 'em their normal browser or whatever and show them how to use a terminal. past that, they can look shit up and do reading on their own time. easy.
>>
>>60454218
what's the sauce to this picture, I always wondered but never bothered to look it up. google/wait/saucenao give nothing
>>
>>60454218
Ubuntu if you're a retard who can't follow simple instructions.
Arch if not.

And yes, Arch is simple enough and you will learn that if you choose to use it. It allows you to rice the shit out of your system if you want to do so and it's not even hard.
>>
>>60458784

>Don't use Slackware.

Fucking noob.
>>
>>60454218
Fedora.
It's Stable
It's Secure
It's compatible
>>
What's the difference between Manjaro and Antegros? The wiki doesn't make it clear. I'm fucking around with Manjaro in a VM. Will it break after an update like Arch does for some people? I wouldn't be able to fix it for a while since I'm just now getting familiar with the terminal.
>>
>>60454218
don't listen to anyone else in here

if this is your first time with a linux distro you're gonna want just vanilla ubuntu or debian
>>
Ubuntu or Xubuntu. Or Fedora.
>>
>>60461469
Manjaro is like that good old kid with all them remixes, mostly shit works but it has a terrible community

Antergos looks cleaner, but it's buggy as fuck.
>>
>>60456439
What distro is this ?
>>
>>60454218
I'm no expert, but I found debian to be the perfect cross between user friendlyness and learning, I wouldn't reccomend Ubuntu, and if I weren't depressed and nonmotivated at the time I would've jumped straight to slackware.
>>
>>60454218
Elementary Loki is beautiful and works a lot like mac OS. Doesn't need much configuration to use unless you choose to. Second option is probably Mint.
>>
>>60461618
Solus OS with gnome
>>
>>60461610
Manjaro just werks for me so far, so I think I'm gonna stick with it for now.
>>
I would recommend a new user use Ubuntu, fedora or Linux mint
>>
>>60454218
bunsenlabs or xubuntu
>>
>>60454218
>>
>>60454218
PCLinuxOS is newbie friendly as well.
>>
Ubuntu is by far the most friendly to new users since it's built to attract new users to Linux; a lot of stuff works out of the box, which is also true of various other modern distros. However, the real benefit of Ubuntu is that because there are so many newish users, almost every problem you could encounter has a solution posted somewhere. Ubuntu certainly has its flaws, but there isn't really a better distro to use while familiarizing yourself with Linux. By the time you know what you're doing with it, you should be able to comfortably switch to Debian if you like, which is a more "big boy" Linux. You should also be able to use other distros reasonably well.

I'm currently using Ubuntu Budgie because I was using Solus for a while and I like the Budgie pop out menu and ease of taskbar config. Honestly, any Ubuntu derivative should work great, but keep in mind that some of them were only made to cater to less powerful PCs rather than have more or different features.
>>
>>60454218
Try MacOS.
>>
File: Smug Tomoko.jpg (25KB, 500x492px) Image search: [Google]
Smug Tomoko.jpg
25KB, 500x492px
>>60462482
Your autistic rage at pictures of Japanese cartoons will never cease to amuse me.
>>
>>60462874
I've been seeing it a lot lately. It's just some current meme, right?
>>
>>60463043
Not much of a meme if only one retard is saying it.
>>
>>60456439
>fenris
you can't deceive us Kevin
>>
File: terry.png (2MB, 2236x1876px) Image search: [Google]
terry.png
2MB, 2236x1876px
Is you're not a CIA nigger you should install TempleOS
>>
>>60460955
>Arch Anywhere
This. A perfect Arch setup kit.
>>
Linux Mint 100%
>>
>>60456439
Unironically this. Solus is a great first distro.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.